Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
the quest giver simply stopped reacting after giving the quest...Is there any way to fix it or will I have to start a new character if I want to continue progressing in the Mage's Guild because of the mistake of overwriting the save before taking the quest because that quest giver will be locked forever?
Did you try to let time pass until the quest is considered failed to see if the questgiver talks anew ?

That worked. Thanks for the tip.

ypu could have used that teleport-to-quest-object cheat, maybe that wizard was in a hidden room? sometimes quest object can only be reached by using a teleporter, which can look like anything at all (skull, a brick, a bricked up doorway, a floating candle, a box on an altar etc etc)

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Three years later, it is coming closer.

well he is a one-man team, and have a job (computer assistant? cant remember) so its to be expected.

and frankly i rather have one ûber-dedicated man on the job then a shallow, random-guy-for-coder-every-week team ala Might and Magic Tribute.

Experience shows, that there is no difference between a "uber-dedicated-man" and a "random-guy-for-coder-every-week". It's the time span which kills even the most dedicated humans. If you work too long and alone on a project the ambition fades away... maybe not in the first 10 months, maybe not after 1.5 years... but after 2 years it will gnaw, and eventually both projects (the dedicated and the non-dedicated) end up in nothingness.

Oh, and I forgot: being a computer assistent does not make it easier. Only during the first couple of months, but afterwards you inevitably lose power to work in the evenings again on computers while you have worked on computers the whole day. Just fact.

luciusDXL

Educated
There have been lots of delays, unfortunately, but I've kept working when possible. Fortunately I've drastically refined my techniques so future projects will go much more smoothly. :)

Anyway I've been reverse engineering the executable, as you probably already know, so the "Pure Mode" will be source port accurate, including the software renderer - minus game breaking bugs (crashes, memory corruption, etc.). Of course all the optional/extended features will still be there but everything will be on a solid base that doesn't involve guess-work. :D And this is the approach I'm going to take with getting Dark Forces to Beta and Blood as well, both of which will be done in a fraction of the time.

Luzur

Good Sir
new update, march 30 2014:

It has been a long time since my last update but my life has been undergoing a series of changes – for the better – that have occupied my time. I have started to settle in and have resumed working on the DaggerXL Beta. In this post I will talk a little about the Daggerfall Renderer, starting with some simple basics.

Below is the Object structure – the structure itself (i.e. size of variables and such) is fully known though a few members still do not have appropriate names yet, u1, u2, u3. As you can see the world space position is stored in(xPosition, yPosition, zPosition) in inches and the rotation angles are stored in angles[3]. Positions are stored in absolute world space – this position is not relative but the actual position on the world map. The angles range from 0 – 2047 – which maps to 360 degrees. In other words 512 = 90 degrees, 2048 = 360 degrees.

struct Object
{
//0x00
byte type;
//0x01
word angles[3];
//0x07
int xPosition;
//0x0B
int yPosition;
//0x0F
int zPosition;
//0x13
word index2;
//0x15
word flags;
//0x17
word dataSize;
//0x19
word index;
//0x1B
word arrayIndex;
//0x1D
word model;
//0x1F
int ID;
//0x23
byte u1;
word u2;
byte u3;
//0x27
int curLocID;
//0x2B
dword time;
//0x2F
Object *target2;
//0x33
Object *target;
//0x37
Object *siblingNext;
//0x3B
Object *siblingPrev;
//0x3F
Object *child;
//0x43
Object *parent;
};
To generate a rotation transform for an object or for the camera Daggerfall uses the following matrix:

Given angles: x=xAngle, y=yAngle, z=zAngle – the Daggerfall rotation matrix =

[ cos(z)*cos(y) + sin(x)*sin(z)*sin(y) -sin(z)*cos(x) sin(z)*sin(x)*cos(y) ]
[-sin(x)*sin(y)*cos(z) + sin(z)*cos(y) cos(x)*cos(z) -cos(z)*sin(x)*cos(y) ]
[ sin(y)*cos(x) sin(x) cos(x)*cos(y) ]
The 3×3 rotation matrix is stored in 1.3.28 fixed point.

Here is the function used to generate the 3×3 rotation matrix from the angles:

void Build3x3Matrix(int xAngle, int yAngle, int zAngle, int *matrix)
{
int x = xAngle&0x07ff;
int y = yAngle&0x07ff;
int z = zAngle&0x07ff;

const int64 half = 134217728LL;
int64 c = (int64)sinTable[z] * (int64)sinTable[y] + half;
camAngle0 = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = (int64)sinTable[y] * (int64)sinTable[512+z] + half;
camAngle1 = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = (int64)sinTable[x] * (int64)sinTable[512+y] + half;
camAngle2 = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = (int64)sinTable[512+z] * (int64)sinTable[512+y] +
(int64)sinTable[x] * (int64)camAngle0 + half;
matrix[0] = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = -(int64)sinTable[z] * (int64)sinTable[x+512] + half;
matrix[1] = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = (int64)sinTable[z] * (int64)camAngle2 + half;
matrix[2] = (int)( c >> 28LL ) - camAngle1;

c = -(int64)sinTable[x] * (int64)camAngle1 +
(int64)sinTable[z] * (int64)sinTable[y+512] + half;
matrix[3] = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = (int64)sinTable[x+512] * (int64)sinTable[z+512] + half;
matrix[4] = (int)( c >> 28LL );

c = -(int64)sinTable[z+512] * camAngle2;
matrix[5] = (int)( c >> 28LL ) - camAngle0;

c = (int64)sinTable[y] * (int64)sinTable[x+512] + half;
matrix[6] = (int)( c >> 28LL );

matrix[7] = sinTable[x];

c = (int64)sinTable[x+512] * (int64)sinTable[y+512] + half;
matrix[8] = (int)( c >> 28LL );
}
A few things to note – the fixed point format is 1.3.28 so 64 bit math is required to avoid overflows, fortunately x86 assembly makes this fairly easy to do quickly. Also note that Daggerfall has a sine table that stores the sin values for all angles ranging from 0 to 2047 (remember that this maps to 0 to 360 degrees). As you can see the cosine values are computed as sinTable[angle+512] – since sine and cosine are out of phase by 90 degrees, we can compute cosine as cos(angle) = sin(angle+90degrees) which Daggerfall does to limit the size of the table.

The camera uses the same position and angles to generate the view and projection matrices. However the way positions are transformed into screenspace are a little different from most modern engines. The projection matrix is build directly from the view matrix by scaling by the x relative and y relative screen aspect ratios, built as follows:

void BuildAspectScaledMatrix(int *rotMatrix, int *outScaledMatrix)
{
int64 c = (int64)rotMatrix[0] * (int64)screenAspectX;
outScaledMatrix[0] = (int)( c >> 14LL );

c = (int64)rotMatrix[1] * (int64)screenAspectX;
outScaledMatrix[1] = (int)( c >> 14LL );

c = (int64)rotMatrix[2] * (int64)screenAspectX;
outScaledMatrix[2] = (int)( c >> 14LL );

c = (int64)rotMatrix[3] * (int64)screenAspectY;
outScaledMatrix[3] = (int)( c >> 14LL );

c = (int64)rotMatrix[4] * (int64)screenAspectY;
outScaledMatrix[4] = (int)( c >> 14LL );

c = (int64)rotMatrix[5] * (int64)screenAspectY;
outScaledMatrix[5] = (int)( c >> 14LL );

outScaledMatrix[6] = rotMatrix[6];
outScaledMatrix[7] = rotMatrix[7];
outScaledMatrix[8] = rotMatrix[8];
}
Note that the screenAspectX and screenAspectY are stored in 1.17.14 fixed point but the resulting projection matrix is still stored in 1.3.28 fixed point.

Positions in view space are stored as 1.23.8 fixed point so a position can be transformed as follows:
Given (x,y,z) in absolute world space:
(Note s_xPosition, s_yPosition and s_zPosition are the camera positions extracted from the camera objects and used by the renderer).

//Convert to camera relative coordinates, stored in 1.23.8 fixed point), still in inches.
int viewX = (x - s_xPosition)*256;
int viewY = (y - s_yPosition)*256;
int viewZ = (z - s_zPosition)*256;
TransformPoint(&viewX, &viewY, &viewZ, projMatrix);

void TransformPoint(int *x, int *y, int *z, int *matrix)
{
int64 xp = (int64)(*x)*16LL;
int64 yp = (int64)(*y)*16LL;
int64 zp = (int64)(*z)*16LL;

*x = (int)( ( xp*(int64)matrix[0] + yp*(int64)matrix[1] + zp*(int64)matrix[2] ) >> 32LL );
*y = (int)( ( xp*(int64)matrix[3] + yp*(int64)matrix[4] + zp*(int64)matrix[5] ) >> 32LL );
*z = (int)( ( xp*(int64)matrix[6] + yp*(int64)matrix[7] + zp*(int64)matrix[8] ) >> 32LL );
}
Finally the following functions are used to cull the bounds, stored as spheres – center in relative camera coordinates and radius in inches.

enum ClipPlanes_e
{
PLANE_NEGX = 1,
PLANE_POSX = 2,
PLANE_POSY = 4,
PLANE_NEGY = 8,
PLANE_NEAR = 16,
PLANE_FAR = 32,
PLANES_ALL = PLANE_NEGX | PLANE_POSX | PLANE_POSY | PLANE_NEGY | PLANE_NEAR | PLANE_FAR
};
static int nearPlane=2560; //[1E9CC0] :the near plane is 10 inches.
static int farPlane =393216; //[1E9CC4] :the far plane is 128 feet
//(at normal maximum settings).

int CullPlaneDistX(int xScaled, int yScaled, int radius)
{
int r = (zRadius*xScaled)>>16 + (xRadius*yScaled)>>16;
if ( r < 0 )
{
r = -r;
}
return r+radius;
}

int CullPlaneDistY(int xScaled, int yScaled, int radius)
{
int r = (zRadius*xScaled)>>16 + (yRadius*yScaled)>>16;
if ( r < 0 )
{
r = -r;
}
return r+radius;
}
//Is the sphere: center = (x,y,z), radius = r at least partially visible?
//Returns 0 if visible else 1.
//Note that the sphere position must be relative to the camera and be in 1.23.8 fixed point format.
int IsSphereVisible(int x, int y, int z, int r)
{
//transform into projection space.
TransformPoint(&x, &y, &z, projMatrix);

//figure out which planes the sphere needs to be tested against.
int clipFlags = PLANES_ALL; //6 planes = 111111 binary = 63
if ( z >= nearPlane )
{
clipFlags ^= PLANE_NEAR;
}
if ( z <= farPlane )
{
clipFlags ^= PLANE_FAR;
}
if ( x >= -z )
{
clipFlags ^= PLANE_NEGX;
}
if ( x <= z )
{
clipFlags ^= PLANE_POSX;
}

if ( y <= z )
{
clipFlags ^= PLANE_POSY;
}
if ( y >= -z )
{
clipFlags ^= PLANE_NEGY;
}

//compute plane data.
xRadius = (int)( ((int64)x*(int64)x*(int64)ScreenAspectA )>>32LL );
yRadius = (int)( ((int64)y*(int64)y*(int64)ScreenAspectA_SC)>>32LL );
zRadius = z;

//test against each plane based on the clipflags set (see above).
if ( clipFlags )
{
if ( s_clipFlags&PLANE_NEAR )
{
if ( z+r <= nearPlane )
return 1;
}
if ( s_clipFlags&PLANE_FAR )
{
if ( z-r >= farPlane )
return 1;
}

if ( s_clipFlags&PLANE_NEGX )
{
if ( CullPlaneDistX(ScreenX_Scaled, ScreenH_Scaled, r) <= 0 )
return 1;
}

if ( s_clipFlags&PLANE_POSX )
{
if ( CullPlaneDistX(ScreenX_Scaled, -ScreenH_Scaled, r) <= 0 )
return 1;
}

if ( s_clipFlags&PLANE_POSY )
{
if ( CullPlaneDistY(varD34, -varD30, r) <= 0 )
return 1;
}

if ( s_clipFlags&PLANE_NEGY )
{
if ( CullPlaneDistY(varD34, varD30, r) <= 0 )
return 1;
}
}

return 0;
}
Anyway that is enough about the renderer for this post but I will talk about the lighting system, more about culling objects and other topics in future blog posts. If you want to see the original assembly for these functions, visit the Renderer Part I – Original Functions in Assembly page. As you will see I have rearranged the code a little to make some things more clear.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't mind him taking the time he needs to get it right and have a life, I mind that he keeps acting like he's about to release it and then doesn't.

Luzur

Good Sir
Still no sign of Lucius sadly, but Interkarma is doing something (ya know, the guy who made those viewing tools for Daggerfal)l..

Over the last few months, I've been working on a new project called Daggerfall Tools for Unity, which allows the community to rebuild Daggerfall (or new games in the style of Daggerfall) using the Unity3D engine. Check out the Feature Gallery and Direnni Tower Demo to see where this is up to currently. I'm also putting the wraps on a streaming world system which will be available soon.

BTW, I'm not trying to compete with Lucius. I still have a lot of faith in his work and hope he will update us soon. I'm just a huge Daggerfall fan and this is how I show love for the game.

I also believe there's a lot to be gained by having Daggerfall working inside a commercial-level engine with a massive developer ecosystem. This has the potential to go well beyond just a remake and can open up entirely new, fully modable Daggerfall experiences. And being open source, there are already several people tinkering away. I posted a bit more about this recently on the BGS Forums in this post.

So my goals are a little different to DaggerXL, but I still think it's good news for Daggerfall fans. There's plenty of room in the world for both projects to flourish in different ways.

otsego

Cipher
Still no sign of Lucius sadly, but Interkarma is doing something (ya know, the guy who made those viewing tools for Daggerfal)l..

Since Interkarma's goal was to make an open source template for people to work on themselves (he decided to quit Daggerfall related things recently because it consumed his life, but recently came back with this one-off Unity tool), people have even come up with a rudimentary MULTIPLAYER mode:

He's also revamping the terrain in the meantime.
CustomTerrain.png

Luzur

Good Sir
I'm not interested in seeing Daggerfall trapped into another proprietary engine. Hopefully Lucius will release the source code to whatever he has when he inevitably gives up.

Well, Lucius continues to be silent, so i cant give you any good news there, its never been a good sign when a indie dev goes silent like this.

How hard your new job is you can take a few minutes to login on your forum and make a "Yo, IRL is hell on me atm, see ya soon" post to let all those that wait for your work know whats going on.

getter77

Augur
You can never tell with these things---sometimes projects can actually roar back to life after a couple years of silence, though this is only rarely the case.

The more activity from different angles of attack the better though...can't help but be not incredibly optimistic about a Unity integration though for something as complex as they are hoping.

Divinity: Original Sin
^The dude already implemented his own terrain system with full world streaming etc but he ended up scrapping it all to go with unity's terrain for some reason.

Hills of Daggerfall

Isle of Balfiera

Coastal Sentinel

Swamplands of Tigonus

Interkarma is the one messing with unity, and lucius is the one behind the xlengine from whih he recorded these videos you posted. Lucius didn't scrapped anything. He just vanished.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Authors lose interest in things all the time, it's only human. But then sometimes they're left with this huge shame that they gave hope to some people and now they can't finish what they started, and this is often the reason for a complete silence afterwards. Happened to a friend of mine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom