Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Coreplay Issues Statement in Response to bitComposer Interview

Monty

Arcane
Think it's time to let the dead rest in peace.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I am the guy holding the two best cRPGs ever made: Ultima IV and Phantasie.

And it's my private game collection, so at least I didn't lose those gems :)

Regarding the future of those people: some of them already got other jobs, some are going indie, some still stick together to start something new (including me). Right now, we are still in a phase of reorientation, but that doesn't necessarily mean we will abandon developing cRPGs.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am very glad to hear that.
I know I'm in no place to speak since I never developed a game, but maybe if you want to make another cRPG you should try and cut some corners when it comes to bells & whistles. Graphics and all that. Basic\sprite stuff can be good too.
There's one Japanese Company, Falcom; They've survived to this day despite starting in the late 80's, making RPGs (Both action and turn based), dungeon crawls, platformers, keeping their popularity and never really "selling out", since they kept their games looking pretty simple, graphics wise, and focusing on great and polished gameplay. For their RPGs, they've used FO-style 3D models stamped into sprite forms until like, 2011.

Just food for thought.

Ultima V is objectively superior

zornskin

Novice
IDEA:
Determine/arbitrate some justifiable division of ownership/investment. Sell existing product to Obsidian(with fund division according to proportion of determined ownership) and let them finish it, with BC and CP to obtain a royalty on each sold. Two mortal enemies don't have to work together - each recoups at least a portion of their losses, fans get their game(maybe not THE game... but an apprximation at least).

A lot of people seem to badmouth them around here, but I've always enjoyed the stuff they've released more than the stuff it was based on(I had a love/hate relationship with SoZ but never played AP):
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Alpha Protocol
Fallout: New Vegas

*Dons flame retardent suit*

zornskin

Novice

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I am the guy holding the two best cRPGs ever made: Ultima IV and Phantasie.

And it's my private game collection, so at least I didn't lose those gems :)

Regarding the future of those people: some of them already got other jobs, some are going indie, some still stick together to start something new (including me). Right now, we are still in a phase of reorientation, but that doesn't necessarily mean we will abandon developing cRPGs.
well you know you've got support here for whatever you do*

hobgoblins stick together friends 4ever

*unless you go mobile shit in which case #"%&/!%!%"#&!"#!#!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But, but... I've been looking at their books...

I hadn't hearde anything about that. I'd have expected them to be pretty flush, I guess, with with that nonsense South Park game and what appeared to be a wildy successful(?) KSC.

There's nothing to hear. Obsidian doesn't earn money on the games that they make - publishers pay them to make games, they use that money pay their developers' salaries, and the profits from sales go to the publishers. Project Eternity will be their first game that isn't like that.

So, by definition, they don't have any spare change.

Unwanted

Mandora

Andhaira
Andhaira
Ok, I just cannot take outright lies and massive distortion of the truth being tossed out here.

How about telling the disappointed fans here that this 'game' was only made to take advantage of a tax evasion loophole? Or that there were 3 DLCs planned to be inserted into the base game containing essential gameplay elements that would be unlocked only when said DLC was purchased with extra cash? Or the fact that the owner of the development company was the brother in law of one of the directors of the publisher, and only got the ok to make the game just so that the said director could have some peace in his household?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
^ And of course, you had to use two different US ISPs/proxies to register your account and post that, Mr. Anonymous -- or should I say Mr. Chinese_Jetpilot -- because you don't want your identity and location to be tracked down.

Incidentally, though, that makes it even harder to verify whether you actually know what you're talking about -- or even live in the vicinity of Coreplay or bitComposer -- or just wanted to post a hoax to stir shit up. For some inexplicable reason I suspect it's the latter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

HobGoblin42

Last edited:

Absalom

^ And of course, you had to use two different US ISPs/proxies to register your account and post that, Mr. Anonymous -- or should I say Mr. Chinese_Jetpilot -- because you don't want your identity and location to be tracked down.

Incidentally, though, that makes it even harder to verify whether you actually know what you're talking about -- or even live in the vicinity of Coreplay or bitComposer -- or just wanted to post a hoax to stir shit up. For some inexplicable reason I suspect it's the latter.
Ironically, we only have your word on the "two proxies" thing.

Also, tracking down someone's identity and location over a post on the internet? who are you, the NSA?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Ok, I just cannot take outright lies and massive distortion of the truth being tossed out here.

How about telling the disappointed fans here that this 'game' was only made to take advantage of a tax evasion loophole? Or that there were 3 DLCs planned to be inserted into the base game containing essential gameplay elements that would be unlocked only when said DLC was purchased with extra cash? Or the fact that the owner of the development company was the brother in law of one of the directors of the publisher, and only got the ok to make the game just so that the said director could have some peace in his household?
:stupid:

kaizoku

Arcane
every time I see this thread getting bumped it gives me hope

stop playing with my emotions

*runs away crying*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom