Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Console Catch-up (Emulators & such)

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
  • Holy Diver - imagine Castlevania with the option to change weapons like in Mega Man; very hard (still haven't beaten it), released only in Japan

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How would I go about playing Castlevania Rondo?

Emulator + ISO. I use Magic Engine. Rondo is good if you want the oldskool CV style, but I personally consider Symphony of the Night superior overall.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Snes:

Super Street Fighter
Killer Instinct
Jurassic Park
Alien 3
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (lololol)
Batman Returns
Mortal Kombat II
Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
Goof Troop
Mickey Mouse: The Magical Quest
Super Mario All Stars
Mario Kart
Turtles in Time
Final Fight
Asterix & Obelix

PSX:

Suikoden I and II like warpig and GrainWetski mentioned. If you like JRPGs, you'll probably enjoy those. They are pretty easy though.
Tekken 3
Resident Evil 1 & 2.

edit: credits

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I just quickly went through my emulator folders and picked out things I remember liking.

NES:
Final Fantasy I - III
Contra
Bubble Bobble
Megaman I - VI
Double Dragon
Super Mario Bros I - III (optionally skip II)
Bionic Commando
Deja Vu
CastleVania
CastleVania III
Legend of Zelda
DuckTales
Metroid

SNES:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV - VI
EarthBound
Secret of Mana
Super Street Fighter II
Contra III
Starfox
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Lufia II
Shadowrun
Super Mario World
Super Metroid

N64:
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask

PS1:
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot I - III
Final Fantasy VII (i liked it :oops:)
Final Fantasy IX
Resident Evil I - III
Spyro (I forgot which ones are good, just skip the first one and it'll probably be fine)
Tomb Raider I - III (although you should probably play the PC versions instead since they have unlimited saves rather than gay save crystal bullshit)
Mortal Kombat III
Dino Crisis
Heart of Darkness
MediEvil
Metal Gear Solid

Dreamcast:
Dead or Alive II
Chu-Chu Rocket (my dreamcast came packaged with this :smug:)
Crazy Taxi
D2
Soul Calibur
Daytona USA
Shenmue I and II

Ivan

Arcane
HOLY SHIT bros. I can't believe I slept on the Metroid series when I was a kid. Found the original a bit too offputting, so I opted for Zero Mission. I LOVE IT. I almost felt I was gonna finish it in 1 sitting but sleep came over me. Just got the Screw Attack power up.

HOLY SHIT:

makes me feel like I'm 7 years old

this song actually reminds me a lot of BLOOD :P

edit: Aaaaaaaaaaand finished! All in all: :4/5:

I loved it. The music, the platforming, the power ups. I only wished it involved some more strategy to taking down enemies (rocket takes off shield/armor then finish off). Also, some of the pixel hunting for tiny crawl spaces was a bitch. P. short but totally awesome.

Next up: Super Metroid

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Bros, which are the best Mega Man games of each series (x, original, zero). I've only played X1.

Also, in which order should these be played: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania 4, Aria of Sorrow, Rondo?

Edit: Finished Super Metroid. Despite my rage against the wall jump, the horrid quicksand section, this game is nothing short of :5/5: The music, the level design, dat end sequence.

Metroid Fusion next.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Bro that's MAME material... Cadash on the Genesis is castrated! That said all pretty solid suggestions...

I played both and sure the MAME version has more stuff but Genesis plays just fine too. The music sounds a bit better I think?

In a game with such a great difference between the 4 playable characters removing 2 cripples the game IMHO. The only arcade game of that era offering such variety of playstile between characters is King of Dragons and it doesn't even come close (still solid title). Of course all this arcade goodness was simply blasted away when capcom released D&D: Tower of Doom/Shadow of Mystara the absolute Pinnacle of the genre... no discussion needed

Ivan

Arcane
Metroid Fusion

I was worried at first, what with the linearity, the fucking narration, bland environments, then when you more or less complete the tutorial everything improves. The levels get more complex, the secrets become much more satisfying. The combat is good fun, however I really do miss the feeling of exploring an alien planet.

All in all, this is Metroid lite
:3/5:

Metroid Prime
There's no fucking way they could possibly turn Metroid into a fps game, or so I thought...

A first person adventure game with light combat featuring fantastic level design, some pretty fun bosses, an insane final boss, and awesome music. I love how bulky Samus feels, how the visor reacts to being hit by different attacks, how fucking satisfying the plasma beam is toward the end game. Gripes: backtracking is much more tedious this time around (load times, skipping combat encounters), not having a turn around option a la RE4. All in all, extremely impressed and dumbfounded they made it work. Move over Zero Mission, this is second only to Super Metroid.

:4/5:

Echoes next.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Echoes is rougher around the edges, not as pretty, and includes no outstanding music tracks. Echoes makes up for these superficial shortcomings by having brilliant level design, and involving boss battles. There were countless times when the game suprised me with how well integrated its white/dark worlds intermix. I can see why this game is regarded as being inferior to Prime: it's far more difficul, its maps are more complex, it can be pretty opaque at times (finding "hidden" portals) but Echoes builds upon what made Prime so great.

:5/5:

Corruption next.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Been playin xenoblade. Man that game gets boring fast. Why use some half assed MMO combat system in a single player game? Decide if you are gonna make it action twitchy OR turn based. Dealing with single player server lag is one of the most retarded things I have ever experienced. Going back to SRW:z on the psp.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a working PS2 emulator already? I would love to play Team Ico games eventually (Ico, Shadow of The Colossus).

spekkio

Arcane
Is there a working PS2 emulator already?
746.gif

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have not been into emulation since my university days (meaning around 2006), so I am a bit out of the loop.

A user named cat

Just a FYI: we usually post all emulator stuff in this thread. So if any help or recommendations are needed, go post over there, with your pants down.

Ivan

Arcane
Does anyone have any tips regarding getting Metroid 3 Corruption running on Dolphin? I'm getting severe fps drops (granted, I'm aware that it's generally regarded as a bitch to get running smoothly). I'm considering just getting it and playing it on the Wii U if I end up buying it in a bundle this holiday season.

Ivan

Arcane

Wow. One of the finest games I've played. I almost finished it in one sitting too. It's an adventure game punctuated by puzzles and some light platforming. The music is majestic, the sense of companionship set in a desolate castle is both haunting and beautiful. Looking forward to replaying Colossus next.

DramaticPopcorn

Is Shadow of the Colossus emulatable ? Last I tried it would glitch out like fuck all the time

Ivan

Arcane
WhiteGuts I actually played Okami when it was released on the PS2. However, I don't remember finishing it. I do remember that it had some nasty frame rate drops on some maps.

DramaticPopcorn There were some weird aberrations with the shadows in this game and since Colossus is much more visually complex I would wager a guess that you'd need a damn good pc to emulate it. I'm picking up both for the PS3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom