Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 4

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love the CoE4 battles, definitely better than the previous titles. Am I right in thinking that I can't lay out a battle strategy a la Dominions, though?

My druid leader just converted a potato bear.

bear.jpg

Dunno, I enjoy Dominions in sp. And I hate fighting random. Random is ought to fight at my side. :obviously:
True enough, those 1500 province 90 nation single-age turns take up to 20 minutes to resolve :smug:

That's one of the big problems with Dominions, it gets bogged down in unbearable micromanagement. Also, so many fun units and spells are obsolete or pointless. CoE is streamlined and every unit is fun and helpful. That bear at the top of my post will help me achieve many great victories.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Am I right in thinking that I can't lay out a battle strategy a la Dominions, though?

Yeah, the micro here is next to nonexistent. You can't script behaviour, you can't even make unit placement. I suppose it makes things difficult in mp sessions - you'll probably have to do thrice as much planning compared to Dominions, coz you must know everything about your units and their behaviour. But who ever plays CoE in mp? In sp such lack of micro only makes things faster. I've been playing 30 mins and managed to get rekd 6 times already! I should probably finish reading the manual first...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So other than the two new factions, updated combat, better graphics (lol) and autismal planes system, is there anything else new? From what I'm seeing I'm not sure there's enough new stuff to justify the 20€ price tag for something that might as well have been DLC for CoE3.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So other than the two new factions, updated combat, better graphics (lol) and autismal planes system, is there anything else new? From what I'm seeing I'm not sure there's enough new stuff to justify the 20€ price tag for something that might as well have been DLC for CoE3.
The economy doesn't require you to wait two lifetimes before forming an army. The pace was changed from what I know, which was my main complaint about the game. Very few games I've won by defeating the enemy, I just had to wait them out until they got killed by neutrals.

mondblut

Arcane
Ok, then my last argument is writing. It's literally worth playing just for the sake of cool stories.

qixfbcjlck.jpg

Nice icon, haven't seen it in Dom. Somebody is ought to cannibalize COE for icons to replace some of DomPPP stuff that "starts showing it's age" (lol)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Urgh, lost to some demons. Don't ever put valuable units in front of a cockatrice. Lost 2 Griffons and an Ent to the damn thing. I won the first battle, but the second battle destroyed the last of my forces.

dom2.jpg

dom1.jpg

The game auto-placed this horror-marked ring on my warrior rabbit; this will end well:

dom3.jpg

Such a big horror for a little creature:

dom4.jpg

Dayyālu

Arcane

Bluntly put, no. It's updated CoE3 with a ton of little fun addictions but it's not that mechanically different. Played a good match with the Baron, conquered half of the map with Baron-proof strategies and fell in the old problems (animals everywhere kept in control by MASSIVE forest fires, Barons can't deal with magical foes bar with aggressive Mage use).

AI is still somewhat braindead, in my test match the barb player suicided himself against me in less than twenty turns and the Troll fell to the Deer scourge. The Druid AI, only survivor, barely manages to hold against the endless hordes of killer snakes. It's again the good old feeling "in Elysium Everything Wants To Kill You".

Cavarly is kinda fucked by the changes in the combat system, as first into combat and first into the jaws of endless bears.

Think I'll try a Hoburg Death Match later. Pity for the lack of options about KILLER NEUTRALS, 'cause the slog of lategame CoE3 was somewhat annoying.

EDIT: Planes are fun. Deadly as fuck, but fun.

Where did you find this price? I bought it for 380 rub. (5,5 euro) on Steam.

Russian Prices, best prices

:negative:

Well, I have to repay Illwinter of almost a decade of piracy.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Siege weapons sliiiiiiiightly op. Enemy army two-three times bigger than yours? Is no problem, lure them into a fortified location. Castle ruins held by a vampire? Is no problem, shoot him with ten ballistas till he drops. As long as the enemy has no siege weapons, you can pummel them out of existence. Even their mages will wait till you are done slaughtering their friends.

If the enemy has siege weapons as well, then you are kinda fucked. Lost 50 3-star heavy infantry storming a dwarf citadel once.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm having great fun with it so far. Tried the druid and the high priestess; I thought the Baal summons were a bit overpowered until I entered the temple district and priests banished half of them. Then the demonologist walked in behind me and wiped me out. I'm starting to really hate demons.

getter77

Augur
In a better world, Illwinter could team with Streumon (EYE: Divine Cybermancy) and collaborate on nothing but the profiles and such for everything---I can't fathom a more perfect pairing of genius, madness, substance abuse, etc.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Finally won a game. High Priestess on a small map against 2 AI Marquis opponents. I think small maps are best; you can almost always complete a game in under an hour and still have great fun. Very little tedium.

I managed to cast a ritual called the "second sun", which created a sun ontop of a mountain and gave me a flying sun god creature. I walked with him and my entire army over to the enemy (who was pretty much defeated at this point), but in the final battle I noticed that my sun god had... incinerated all the other commanders and the bulk of my army during the trip? He still won the battle, but hey, how about a warning? There's nothing in the description that says this will happen, and there are no attributes that say "constant burning death" or anything. I guess it makes sense given that every forest you walk through instantly ignites, but I'm still calling foul.

Anyway, anyone visited another plane yet? I had the option to do so at one point, but why would I? I don't understand what the point of going there is. Can I hide out there from my opponents, as in conquer a citadel on another plane and camp there?

I also met the mother of monsters hanging out in the corner of my map. Huge army. Did not engage.

Aothan

Magister
looks like a fun game, and I see there are Gryphons, are there, by chance, High Elves ?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also what is the point with labyrinths? As a baron I supposedly can coronate myself, but where is the King's Castle? Couldn't find one at all.

Questions, questions, questions...

Dayyālu

Arcane
Also what is the point with labyrinths? As a baron I supposedly can coronate myself, but where is the King's Castle? Couldn't find one at all.

Questions, questions, questions...

Age-dependant.

The Capitol is there only in the Empire and Fall of the Empire ages (like in CoE3) and the description itself mentions how "the condition of the capitol does not matter when declaring oneself Emprah".

The King's castle, I presume, is active only in the Age of the Monarchy. CoE has a ton of little touches and replayability like that.

After a single game won as a Baron far too early (two AI commander suicides and one AI deer failure) I'm now struggling again with the Baron with a far bigger map. We need, though, a slider for indies or a mod for that, because I don't know if I can endure deerpocalypse again. After a while, the greatest tactical objectives are burning down the Indie spawns in the attempt to civilize the land.

Variety of rituals (Monks can clean up swamps, High Lords can levy militia and destroy bandit camps) is great though. With the Baron, I have the feeling I am reclamining the land and making it fit for human civilization: where before you had swamps and bloodthirsty deers, you have villages, forts and disciplined soldiers. And burnt forests.

EDIT: "General RPG Discussion" :| ?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well that didn't go too well. Made a Ruby Dragon and it trampled on my poor hoburg leaders and killed all 3 of them, and now my army is stuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom