Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship RPG Update #9

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Vault Dweller/Vince said:
Now that DR is out, we return to our regularly scheduled program. So locations...

• - 16 locations. Thematically, we can split them into 5 groups: engine (more than one area), "wasteland" (completely destroyed decks, including areas with zero gravity), cargo holds, residential, bridge.
  • - Most locations will be 'revisitable', i.e. you will have reasons (new objectives) to go back, which will boost reactivity when you get shot in the face.
  • - Each location is designed to support 3 main paths through the game: brute force, diplomacy, infiltration. Most locations are populated by various small groups and factions, so killing everyone will limit your endgame options, which is fitting.
  • - Many locations will have multiple levels and the "vertical element". We played with it in DR a bit:^ For those who didn't play the game, you're looking at the previously visited areas from a higher point you couldn't reach directly.
  • In the CSG, for example, you would be able to take a safe way through a certain area via the walkways (a toll road) and see the area below (and go down if you see something shiny) or if you're too cheap to pay make your way through the debris below and brave the dangers undoubtedly awaiting the unprepared.
  • - Most locations are interconnected in logical ways (i.e. not isolated areas), which will create many interesting opportunities for the explorers as well as occasional quest solutions for the gadgeteers.

In the past updates I've briefly introduced the Pit (the Freemen's Camp), the Hydroponics, the Armory, and the Shuttle Bay. The final "cargo hold" location is the Factory - a large industrial complex that was designed to teach the new generation various engineering skills and provide simulated environments to practice them. Today it's an abandoned and thus somewhat dangerous area connecting the Pit with the City. It's been stripped clean from the 'big ticket' items but there's plenty of junk left for the scavengers willing to risk their lives for a few coins.

sketch_factory_1_zpsbkfm3ymk.jpg

Here is the Pit, reflecting the new art direction:

Sketch_freemens%20camp%20-%202._zpspvbdvuee.jpg

Sketch_freemens%20camp._zpshwok5sgr.jpg

:bounce:

Last edited by a moderator:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hopefully actual in-game screenshots will look as beautiful as concept arts. Anyway, this is IMO the most exciting update so far. 16 locations don't seem like much but if they'll offer lots of exploration options and be at least as good as AoD ones it will be more than enough. It won't get casual players attention though (not that IT wants to get their attention but some more buzz would always help to reach the connoisseurs who won't even know that such a game exists).

Last edited:

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
Engine used in Tribes 2 match concept arts quality? You living in lands full of magic shrooms, or lets say potatoes in your case, my friend. 16 locations dont sound like much? Hm. 20 missions was golden standart for most games back then, currently it sit at 12. So 16 is perfect choise, considering there will be a lot of content. And Blade Runner neons and colorful bars in nice art design entourage for this whole grim Alien vs Predator architecture.
Offtop/ad:
BTW, my iron man video finally uploaded:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Colony Ship is supposed to use Unreal 4, not Torque.

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
Do you want to turn AoD in Shadowrun? Mb particle cover system will be better. No full and half covers, but fixed % amounts for every asset. Dungeon Rats already have lot of nice hidden mechanics for ranged combat, but I wonder how they implement burst weapons, and, most importantly, how AI will exploit tactical advantages in combat.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Combat system will be the same as in DR/AoD? I mean if you want to add guns, then some cover system should be introduced to the combat system from AoD.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7187.0.html

Back to the systems. Now that you have a good idea of our workload, let's talk about two key systems: combat and stealth. I'll do my best to organize my thoughts and present them in a semi-coherent fashion, so bear with me.

Melee-based combat makes a lot of things simple in 3 key areas:
  • Melee attack can be dodged or blocked (or parried or deflected), thus you easily miss even if you’re standing next to the guy you’re trying to kill. The famous duel in Rob Roy would have been very different if both duelists had SMGs.
  • Damage dealt can be modified by effort (i.e. fast or power attacks).
  • Combatants can just stand there and trade blows all day.
So, logically, combat with guns should have higher THC in general, higher mobility, no dodging bullets, no damage modifiers, which means that fast attacks, normal attacks, and aimed attacks will do exactly the same damage, which means the player would want to use the fastest attack unless there’s a strong penalty, but we’ve just decided to keep THC relatively high.

The obvious conclusion is that we need grazing, cover, and a wide range of attack types:
  • Let’s start with grazing. I wanted to implement it in AoD but we were out of time and the fast attacks were basically grazing attacks, doing a lot less damage. The ranged combat is perfect for it.

Let’s say you have 80% THC (to-hit chance). You roll the dice and as luck would have it, you’re 1 point short but the binary miss-hit system doesn’t reward your near excellence and treats it as you weren’t even close. So, we’ll change that and go with 4 roll 'ranges': miss, graze, hit, critical hit. This will give us some flexibility with damage ranges and allow you to trade damage for THC.

• Cover is another way to lower your THC without raising eyebrows and explain why the combatants take 4-5 turns to kill each other. We don’t want to place cover objects everywhere, so we’ll go with energy shields you can place in front of your character (i.e. you throw a 'gadget', it generates an energy shield in front of you (not around you) which absorbs X amount of damage and makes it harder to hit you while you’re hiding behind it).

Naturally, once you decide to go with gadgets, why stop with one? Why not have gadgets modifying every available battlefield stat?
    • Depletable energy shield (absorbs x damage)
    • Reality distortion field (THC penalty against you)
    • Optical illusion a-la Total Recall (chance that enemies will target the illusion)
    • Cloaking field aka Stealth Boy
    • Stasis field (holds enemy, no damage can be dealt)
    • Brainwave Disruptor (don’t leave your home without Psychic Nullifier)

As mentioned previously, expect 10-12 gadgets with 3-4 upgrade levels. Earlier I was toying with the idea of energy armor but the energy shield idea is better as it ties you down, creating tactical opportunities for your enemies. Then you’ll have upgradable synthetic armor offering different degree of protection against melee, projectile, and energy attacks.

• Attack types
    • Three basic attacks are Fast aka unaimed (increases your Graze roll range and cuts the Hit roll range in half), Normal, and Aimed Attack (doubles the Hit roll range, cuts in half the Graze range). You can use these attacks with any weapons.

• Class- and weapon-specific attacks like Short, Long, and Wide Burst for SMGs (some SMGs would be more suitable for wide bursts whereas others would be more suitable for long burst; however, these attacks would be available to all SMGs) and certain shotguns; Fanning for revolvers, Double Shot or Full Broadside for multi-barrel weapons.

• "Tactical" attacks like Suppressive Fire and various Interrupt, Attacks of Opportunity Reaction Shots
Another thing worth mentioning is that firearms, unlike fairly straightforward melee weapons, have very different designs, so each category (Pistols, Shotguns, SMGs) will have 3 subcategories. For example, Shotguns will have One-Handed Shotguns (sawed off and ‘Mare’s Leg’ style shotguns), long, heavy-barrel shotguns, and shotguns with revolving cylinders. So even if you choose to specialize with a single weapon class, you will have plenty of tactical options within this class.

Last but not the least is the focus on mobility. In AoD we didn’t want a melee opponent chasing you all over the map, so your movement rate was slow (2AP per square). In the CSG we want mobility play a large role, allowing the enemies (and encouraging the player) to move around, flank and flush you out.

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
Great. Pls add smoke mechanics, teleports for flanking and melee benefits, temporary invisibility to reenter stealth, splash damage weapons, traps for combat like mines, timed bombs, etc. Moral bar for alternative way of defeating your enemies. Some weapons deal lower physical damage, but high morale damage. Add damage over time like toxic gas or fire. Electricity and laser can be nice way to bypass DR. Plasma can combo DR bypass and DOT. EMP, all kinds of debuff traps and explosieves for lowering enemies combat abilities.
Add % cover system and fully customizeble attack on sight feature. Add light level dependence, and ways to create or destroy light sources. Light will affect stealth too. Destructible environment like in Silent Storm will be nice. I hope you do suppression fire system like in Close Combat. Enemies dont know all your foes positions from the start like in Xcom or Jagged Alliance. Tactical features from Hidden and Dangerous and Commandos games.
You know, little things that Unreal Engine allow you to do.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller, wouldn't you consider implementing weapons with special effects? I'm not talking about different types of attacks such as short, burst and wide attacks, but things like paralysing effects, or more flamboyant cyber things like nano infection, etc? One thing I didn’t like about AoD (maybe because I was spoiled by BG2?) is that rare special weapons fell just like regular weapons with better stats and better art.

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
Yeah, cool idea. Maybe not weapons, but craftable bullets with realy low chances of extra effects to make burst weapons more valuable for supports, restricting snipers and midrange fighters from using it. Supports with realy high AP using utility items, grenades, traps, submachine guns or shotguns. Machine guns and flamethrowers to pin down enemies, deplete they morale, and create chokepoints or covering fire. Snipers with attack of opportunity or sniping heads of uncovered low morale enemies. Assault rifles and midrange variations of shotguns, smgs, bolt-action rifles, rocket launchers for main punch. Then mix in lot of weapons with different unique attacks, bunch of utility items, items progression from 21 sentury weapons to plasma and black hole generator rockets, and cool mechanics to this core gameplay. Conclusion: you got proper version of Jagged Alliance + Xcom with AoD flavour.
BTW, did you ever played Space Rangers? There was text quests for hours to resolve. Maybe make analog of this with PoE type art styles at background?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Great. Pls add smoke mechanics, teleports for flanking and melee benefits, temporary invisibility to reenter stealth, splash damage weapons, traps for combat like mines, timed bombs, etc. Moral bar for alternative way of defeating your enemies. Some weapons deal lower physical damage, but high morale damage. Add damage over time like toxic gas or fire. Electricity and laser can be nice way to bypass DR. Plasma can combo DR bypass and DOT. EMP, all kinds of debuff traps and explosieves for lowering enemies combat abilities.
Add % cover system and fully customizeble attack on sight feature. Add light level dependence, and ways to create or destroy light sources. Light will affect stealth too. Destructible environment like in Silent Storm will be nice. I hope you do suppression fire system like in Close Combat. Enemies dont know all your foes positions from the start like in Xcom or Jagged Alliance. Tactical features from Hidden and Dangerous and Commandos games.
You know, little things that Unreal Engine allow you to do.
Too much for a small team. I outlined what we can do, which is already a fairly complex system if done right. Anything on top of that would cause significant delays.

Vault Dweller, wouldn't you consider implementing weapons with special effects? I'm not talking about different types of attacks such as short, burst and wide attacks, but things like paralysing effects, or more flamboyant cyber things like nano infection, etc? One thing I didn’t like about AoD (maybe because I was spoiled by BG2?) is that rare special weapons fell just like regular weapons with better stats and better art.
That's one of the problems with realistic weapons. They all do more or less the same thing and the difference between a shitty gun and a nice custom gun is performance, which can get lost in translation quite easily.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ok, I wasn't paying much attention to this game so far, but you had me at "shot in the face". I'm not gonna lie, I fully intend to shoot as many people as possible in this game. So the important questions are:

- will you put gory death animations into the game?
- will guns actually represent an evolution on warfare or will we see more "I wanna play with a melee character AND I want it to be just as good as a dude with a machine gun, deeeerp!"?
- are we going to have another magical cover system where a character takes cover behind a wooden box cuz "it's kay, everyone knows wood stops bullets, bro"?
- any chance we'll see custom party creation?

Vault Dweller

Developer
- will you put gory death animations into the game?
- will guns actually represent an evolution on warfare or will we see more "I wanna play with a melee character AND I want it to be just as good as a dude with a machine gun, deeeerp!"?
- are we going to have another magical cover system where a character takes cover behind a wooden box cuz "it's kay, everyone knows wood stops bullets, bro"?
- any chance we'll see custom party creation?
- yes
- evolution
- no wooden boxes; we'll use gadgets to generate depletable energy shields to provide cover (see above)
- not a chance; see update #2 - http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7120.0.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom