Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #4: Main Quest Design, Progress Report

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
LOL good luck coding RPG in blueprints. I see this is some extreme amateur Unreal fanboism going on here. I wont be arguing with that.
Personally, I don't care about Unreal 4. I'd rather play it safe and stick with Torque despite all its shortcomings, but we *will* need a better engine sooner or later, so might as well do it now. I'll give our programmer 6 months to fuck around with Unreal 4 and try to make our tools and system work. If he can't, we'll re-evaluate because releasing the game in 4 years is more important than using Unreal 4.

What I like about Torque is the scripting system. We wrote TorqueScript scripts (all kinds) in the dialogue editor, saved them as text and let Torque executing them in game. UE4 doesn't have any text scripting (as far as I know), so we'll have to use the blueprints. If you're right* and we can't do anything complex with the blueprints, we'll go back to Torque or consider another engine that comes with a source code.

* It's hard to take your word for it because a few posts above you've admitted that you "don't have much experience with Unreal 4, almost none", so I'm not sure why you're arguing.

Kudos for having the guts to take the time on pre-prod.

Not directly related but what's the dungeon crawler they keep mentioning as a focus for the dev/art team during pre-prod?
A short (about 50 fights), party-based combat game using the AoD systems and assets. We can put it together in under a year, which gives me enough time to work on the colony ship game and have everything ready by the time the dungeon crawler is released. Basically, it's a game for people who liked our combat system, wished they could play it t in a party-based mode, and don't mind paying $8 for it. It won't have much of a story, just fight your way out of a prison mine. It will have new creatures, weapons, and armor.

MrMarbles

Cipher
References to "different societies and ways of governing" have been consistent so far. Based on what VD has said previously, there is potential for some cool storylines based on conflict between different political philosophies. Difficult though, so it takes a developer with balls:salute: Get it wrong and you end up with more of the "we believe in chaos they believe in order" nonsense.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not in the fist iteration. I don't think it works as well with a party-based setup.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I guess with the C&C focus it can get way too complicated. But the party system you have planned supports the idea better than most CRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom