Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"You are most welcome, sir." Rhenmyr replies in Keltic.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With most chatter in tongues unknown to him, Borric walks off to survey the settlement, trying to understand how the village would hold against an attack.

If we've tangled with the sacrifice, I guess we got us a wolf to kill. nikolokolus should I roll an int check to find-
  • gaps in the palisade
  • a place where could ideally funnel enemies, ideally outside of the town?
  • traps we can make should the need arise?
  • Materials we can salvage from the broken down houses?

nikolokolus

Arcane
The man nods at Márcan and grasps his hand in a vise-like grip, "Fidach ap Bruna. May Cailleach avert her gaze from your path and the snows be light on your head. I am in your debt for what you do for daughter Oona."

With most chatter in tongues unknown to him, Borric walks off to survey the settlement, trying to understand how the village would hold against an attack.

If we've tangled with the sacrifice, I guess we got us a wolf to kill. nikolokolus should I roll an int check to find-
  • gaps in the palisade
An intelligence roll isn't necessary. The gatehouse on the swampy shore is flanked on each side by a short section of log wall about fifteen to twenty feet high, fifty feet long that tapers into the marsh. Between the gatehouse and the town is a wooden causeway elevated about ten feet off the water's surface, ten feet wide and about 50' long. The village proper itself is about 200 feet in diameter and is set on piers about ten feet above the water.

This isn't a perfect representation, but this should give you a good idea of what it looks like. Just imagine 30 or 40 more structures built on the water in the same manner with a wooden wall that rises about five feet above the deck encircling everything.
woLAXvL.jpg

Currently you aren't able to walk around at your leisure; the entire village seems to have pressed in around your small group. But from what you can see, the village seems well fortified against attack from the land. The only viable entrance is the wooden gatehouse and causeway, so it's unclear why there would be so much damage from a "wolf." Perhaps the villagers might have some answers? As for devising traps and fortifying defenses, the only limit is your imagination and what you can do to convince the Picts to let you do or (perhaps better yet) help you do.

A minute or so passes. Curious onlookers murmur and chatter among themselves while Oona slips inside a roundhouse adjacent to the square. All of a sudden the crowd quiets and people step aside as half-a-dozen men bearing spears muscle their way through the crowd. Behind them is a man bearing a banner festooned with a ram's skull and a behind him are four slaves bearing a sedan chair and a very grim looking man with flame red hair, holding a short silver scepter. You can see Brule and his brother Fidach visibly tense and a hush settles over the square. Brule turns and mutters, "King Talorc."

The man waits for the sedan chair to be placed on the ground before he strides forth imperiously. He levels his ice-cold gaze on Brule, Fidach and you all. He then speaks in perfect Illyrian, "Tell me Brule. Why do I hear my will is subverted? I hear interlopers - Kelt dogs no less - are those who offend Baidd Mawr and call down the Curse of Crannógmere anew. Is this true?" Brule, stiffens and his jaws clench up and down before he replies in Keltic, "No O' King. These men before you are not from our enemies the Uí Néill, they say they hail from farther afield to the South. Further I believe these men are sent to us by providence." He points at Márcan. "Oona told me that this man bears a blade of flame-steel and cut her bonds of iron, thus fulfilling the dream of Crone Ymae."

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr tries to size up the spear men and the "king" who's too good to walk across town while waiting to hear more of this dream.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán composes himself as he would when talking to the elders, letting the conversation move forward...waiting for the King's response.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr tries to size up the spear men and the "king" who's too good to walk across town while waiting to hear more of this dream.

The spearmen look like grim sonsofbitches - stern, unsmiling, all business. The "King" (such as he is) is a large boned man, 6' tall (which puts him about a half-a-head taller than most people in the village). His clothes are made of finely spun wool, with silver and gold thread patterns embroidered in the breast. A fine otterskin cloak is draped from his shoulders. His thick red eyebrows hang heavily over red-rimmed and bloodshot blue eyes; he looks to be deep into his cups. How tough in a fight he actually would be is difficult to assay, but he doesn't look like some degenerate citified lordling.
Do any of us kelts know about the curse of Crannogmere?
You have no idea. You'd never even heard of a place called Crannógmere before today. Pictland is hundreds of leagues from Kaer Eanyn and the Dolmens aren't any map you've ever seen

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

• gaps in the palisade
An intelligence roll isn't necessary. The gatehouse on the swampy shore is flanked on each side by a short section of log wall about fifteen to twenty feet high, fifty feet long that tapers into the marsh. Between the gatehouse and the town is a wooden causeway elevated about ten feet off the water's surface, ten feet wide and about 50' long. The village proper itself is about 200 feet in diameter and is set on piers about ten feet above the water.

This isn't a perfect representation, but this should give you a good idea of what it looks like. Just imagine 30 or 40 more structures built on the water in the same manner with a wooden wall that rises about five feet above the deck encircling everything.
woLAXvL.jpg

Currently you aren't able to walk around at your leisure; the entire village seems to have pressed in around your small group. But from what you can see, the village seems well fortified against attack from the land. The only viable entrance is the wooden gatehouse and causeway, so it's unclear why there would be so much damage from a "wolf." Perhaps the villagers might have some answers? As for devising traps and fortifying defenses, the only limit is your imagination and what you can do to convince the Picts to let you do or (perhaps better yet) help you do.
Borric mutters under his breath in Kurgan, "A fire might do well to scare off wild animals, but there's far too much wood here to risk such a move. We would be served well taking the fight elsewhere, though this place can be well defended against entry. Unless this wolf of theirs can appear in their midst, or possesses one of these villagers to gain a body with which to do its task. Or if it indeed is of such size where the defenses do not matter."

To the Chief he speaks in Illyrian, "King of the Picts! We would hear more of this curse of Crannogmere, is there any that can tell us outlanders of this curse, and of this wolf that plagues thee?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Talorc levels his gaze at Borric coldly, "Who are you to question me so! You who usurp my authority and overturn my edicts? The beast unsated will return and exact a terrible toll. Mark my words. Guards! seize this interloper!"

Brule puts his hand on Borric's arm and pulls him back a little before sliding in front of him, he holds his hand up as if to indicate you should hold your tongue, "I claim the rites of hospitality. These men are under my protection and if any lays a hand to them I'll split the man from stern to stem." He places his hand on the hilt of his sword meaningfully.

A slightly built, weasel-faced man clad in a cloak of black feathers steps out from behind the sedan chair and steps up to Talorc and whispers something in his ear. Talorc stiffens and puffs out his chest and speaks in Illyrian, "Brule ap Bruna, you will be held to account for this. These interlopers are a bad omen, they are harbingers of doom. Mark my words, blood will run red in the streets of Crannógmere before the night is over." He then turns and addresses the confused onlookers and speaks in Pictish. Those of you who understand Keltic, pick out a few words, the gist of which seems to be a warning and a call to action. There is an audible gasp from the crowd and people begun to scurry away from the square as the sun begins to settle below the long, low hills in the west.

The King settles into his chair, his slaves pick it up and his men form a ring around him as they hasten up an elevated causeway to what looks to be a crude wooden "citadel" perched on a promontory of rock.

(For perspective and for possible planning here is a map of the village. You are in the square in the bottom-center of the image)
GBtdOXg.png

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
With the square rapidly thinning, Brule mutters something to his brother Fidach who speaks to you with a sense of urgency, "Come quickly, you'll be safer in my publican. I fear this night will be a a long one." He goes to the door of a large wooden building on the east side of the square and opens it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán sighs. "Royals. Always cut from the same silk. You fellow 'interlopers' coming along?" He follows Brule to the building.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Jackass can't even walk for himself. Amazingly supportive and inspiring to his people too. Needs to be thrown into the lake..." Rhenmyr follows the others.

"Seems fairly normal to me. People were carried around by other people all of the time in the chapel. Of course those people were no longer living. Why does he speak Illyrian? You would think a king of Picts would speak their tongue? I thint we should figure out this kings story." Cormac follows everyone esle.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Safely inside Fidach's establishment, the two brothers exchange a concerned look and Brule walks over and settles heavily into a chair by the fire and broods. Fidach then addresses you, "Come friends. Warm yourselves and I'll pour us all a mead. No doubt you have questions. My broth . . . well, I'll do my best to provide answers."

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Start with the Curse. Crannógmere doesn't seem large enough to support the King's solution for long without permanently damaging the community's future."

Cormac sits by the fire, and looks around at Fidach's abode while listening to he and Rhenmyr discuss the curse, king, and Crannógmere.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Borric takes position by the door, trying to listen without for eavesdroppers, an easier task than comprehending Keltic.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric takes position by the door, trying to listen without for eavesdroppers, an easier task than comprehending Keltic.
Borric stands guard at the door listening intently for any sounds beyond. You think you hear the clop of feet at some distance on the wooden deck that forms the streets of Crannógmere, but it sounds like folk scurrying for the safety of hearth and home most likely -- doors closing, shutters clapping, etc.

"Start with the Curse. Crannógmere doesn't seem large enough to support the King's solution for long without permanently damaging the community's future."

Fidach sits down and takes a long pull from his clay mug. His expression is heavy and his features drawn, "Aye the curse. I suppose I should start with a tale my grandpa told us when were but bairns barely out of our breechclouts. Long ago, Crannógmere fought a fierce war with The Wolf Clan of the great wood. These half-feral men were utterly in thrall to the Wolf-God Blaidd Mawr and the god would manifest himself as a great black wolf who lead them on murderous rampages all throughout Pictdom; they harried and killed many of our people. That is until a mighty warrior, Ulfheonar and his Fianna (a warband) came out of the west and slew the beast.

It's said Ulfheonar bore with him a gift from Lugh himself, the mighty spear Gáe Dubh. It took several weeks to find the lair of the beast, but eventually they cornered the mighty wolf in his lair and so armed with his magic spear, Ulfheonar and his men descended into Blaidd Mawr's den. Ulfheonar pinned the wolf with Gáe Dubh thereafter his band were able to finish it off. In the great battle Ulfheonar was mortally wounded, but he swore that even in death his spirit would guard the entrance to Underworld so that the Wolf-God couldn't pass and take form again. After his death, his men brought him back to the village and he was laid to rest in one of the barrows of our kings and the tomb sealed . . ."

Brule suddenly interjects, cutting Fidach off mid-sentence. "And the Great Wolf returned six months ago, and began to kill every night until Talorc instituted the lottery, which has kept the village "safe" but at what cost?" He snorts disgustedly, "I was curious so I rode out to the tomb of Ulfheonar, but from what I could tell the massive stone seal is still intact. So much for the promises of dead men. And lest you think we are not men of action or cowards, I've faced the beast myself - even hewed its head off, but it dissipated into an oily cloud of black smoke and returned the very next night. So now we slowly wither and we die."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom