Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Started using godot a bit more seriously yesterday. I know yall like my programmer art. Shit amazing

giphy.gif

Hex shit working good.

Green overlay is a movement distance range finder type thing.
The hexes a unit would be able to walk too, given 5 movement points with plains costing 1, forests (aka shitmounds) costing 2 and water being impassable

giphy.gif

just now saw last post. lel. You gonna have to deal with this high quality art

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Had to role my own pathfinder since the godot one is doodoo kaka

giphy.gif

I think i can slowly start adding some rudimentary unit shit to it now.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
How do you like Godot? Compared to Unity?

I like godot more, except for the fact that it obviously has less support, isnt as fleshed out, and is generally fairly typical in its "open-sourceness". It has a lot of really stupid design issues (ive bitched about the way input is handled in the discord, at length)
I dont really have enough experience in godot to compare though. It just happened to be the best fit for what im doing right now.

Despite my mentioning of godot being typically opensourcesque, unity has been busted in a lot of ways (for instance the tilemap implementation is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, and the reason i more or less had to switch to godot)

I think godot is worth trying out in any case. 2d performance is amazing on desktop btw (At least up til now)

levgre

Novice

I like godot more, except for the fact that it obviously has less support, isnt as fleshed out, and is generally fairly typical in its "open-sourceness". It has a lot of really stupid design issues (ive bitched about the way input is handled in the discord, at length)
I dont really have enough experience in godot to compare though. It just happened to be the best fit for what im doing right now.

Despite my mentioning of godot being typically opensourcesque, unity has been busted in a lot of ways (for instance the tilemap implementation is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, and the reason i more or less had to switch to godot)

I think godot is worth trying out in any case. 2d performance is amazing on desktop btw (At least up til now)

I agree on Unity tilemap being pretty much garbage, although with a few "hacks" I'm getting it to work decently well for me. I mostly am just using it to place scenery, but the best tool by far imo is the GameObject brush tool. If your tiles aren't made as GameObjects it's hard to do much with them.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected

I agree on Unity tilemap being pretty much garbage, although with a few "hacks" I'm getting it to work decently well for me. I mostly am just using it to place scenery, but the best tool by far imo is the GameObject brush tool. If your tiles aren't made as GameObjects it's hard to do much with them.

Try doing an isometric map in the tilemap implementation, and get enraged. They literally allow for everything needed for an isometric tilemap.. except you know.. y sorting

levgre

Novice

Try doing an isometric map in the tilemap implementation, and get enraged. They literally allow for everything needed for an isometric tilemap.. except you know.. y sorting

Yea I'm just doing square tiles. I don't think I'd be doing isometric maps with it, I'd make custom scripts for that. Then I would maybe use Unity tilemap to place scenery and objects on top of the isometric tiles.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
vWDCOBw.png

So, for over a year now I have been working on a text game where you play as a young Lord/Lady ruling a province.

Its a bit Crusader Kings 2 lite in a sense that time passes, events are randomized from a pool, you can marry, spy on other fiefs, hold a tournament, etc... but it is also shorter and more streamlined, with some main plot points guiding the way. I do focus on not streamlining the gameplay or the player's choices, though. I think the point of interactive fiction is to give the player immense amounts of liberty, which they usually would not have in other mediums.

There are many possible endings and paths you can take, but the main bulk of the game only lasts around two years at most until the "war" happens.

The current version has around 90% of the game done, and it only ends a bit earlier. Most of what is missing are some of the epilogues that come after the final battle, but you definitely can get a sense of the game right now.

After finishing the remaining epilogues, I will Grammarly and revise the fuck out of the game, but I do appreciate any reports on grammar mistakes and typos. English is not my first language, and I know the text must be by the time it is released.

(I learned that lesson from Highlands, Deep Waters, another text game which I co-authored. People who played it seem to like the story and the number of choices we provided, but most of the negative reviews appear to be related to the spelling)

https://dashingdon.com/play/lucaszaper/the-war-for-the-west-/mygame/index.php?cb=24184

OBS: There might be some bugs, but hopefully nothing game-breaking.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
The more I use Godot the more it feels like 10 people worked on it. 4 who knew what they were doing, and 6 who are drooling morons

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
faqqa The first time you posted about your game, there was a gif of Ruby Rhod where the War for the West icon is now. Cool icon, but now I want to see an RPG starring Ruby Rhod.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
The more I use Godot the more it feels like 10 people worked on it. 4 who knew what they were doing, and 6 who are drooling morons

let me guess. finding things in the UI? also components names?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It still looks like shit, everything is WIP and/or a placeholder, but here it is anyway. A little sneak-peek of my project's progress.

CeWvqaZ.png

redactir

No prosper, the engine is designed like gutter garbage (all the way to the render level apparently). I ended up dropping it.

Link to specific sets of source files, line locations, and/or list flow of function calls which is an indication of this.
Start with things that don't reference the renderer.

OR

Link to some of the 3,737 open issues that support your take.

redactir

for Godot
One of the files have too many includes. Many others desperately need refactoring.

As for anything being moronic I haven't found any signs of this yet.

Zep Zepo, I don't know who you are. I don't what you want. If you're looking for confirmation I can tell you I don't contribute to godot. But what I do have is redacted. A redacted I've created over a very long time. A redacted that makes me a nightmare for strangers who might choose to hide behind insults as a way to oppose me. If you redact your post now that will be the end of it. I will not enter your name into a database and I will not execute any commands. But if you don't. I will enter it, I will execute a command, and I will have you redacted.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Sorry Prosper, but Cleveland "Soy Boy" Mark Blakemore called first dibs on redacting me. Get in line.

Zep--

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That looks pretty great. It seems like maybe the mountains should be more jagged. Using height maps?

Thanks man. And yes - I use heightmap "stamps" which are applied to a 2d float array associated with each chunk of my terrain. Then I pass that array to a mesher algorithm.

Oh, and by jagged, do you mean something like this?

Wv1d28y.png

They're far from final of course. I made about a dozen of those today to play with and see which ones look best.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
No prosper, the engine is designed like gutter garbage (all the way to the render level apparently). I ended up dropping it.

Link to specific sets of source files, line locations, and/or list flow of function calls which is an indication of this.
Start with things that don't reference the renderer.

OR

Link to some of the 3,737 open issues that support your take.

no

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
barker_s the mountains look really good. Are you going to make a different version for connecting adjacent mountain hexes? Civilization has been doing something like that for years. Maybe taking a look at their designs would give you some ideas.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Nathaniel3W definitely! As I stated before, I made these for testing purposes only. In the end I'd like them to form continuous, seamless mountain ranges. And don't you worry, I did my homework when it comes to taking notes from the industry's big guys. For example, this is what my meshing algorithm's based on.

I just assumed you were manually making height maps, not that you were procedurally generating them. Impressive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom