Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have a sudden urge to go listen to that song from the Disney Hercules cartoon... the one where the muses are singing that song to the girl.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Spoon (tm).

03FEP2i.png
you should use a spinning wireframe man to indicate player health, that would be cool

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I've reached a point where I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with the art direction I started. I rather like the monochrome look of my game. For those who haven't seen it, it looks like this:

However, just to see what it would look like, I created a secondary version that is mostly in color (some remnants of the monochrome color scheme still exists). This video shows what the game would look like in color (though I will point out that the combat icon for the Goblin Slinger is actually an Orc, since I was testing the icon when I made this build).

Anyway, just looking for feedback. I don't know if I would switch to the color version, unless a lot of people thought that the game might be better that way.

Anyway, just looking for feedback. I don't know if I would switch to the color version, unless a lot of people thought that the game might be better that way.
Combat icons do look quite pretty in colour. Do you have lot of them of similar quality?

"goblin basher's turn"
Should have these announcements only for player characters. As their purpose is to be prompts for player to give commands. Now it's just some extra noise in the message log.

"press enter/return to..."
drop one or the other.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Combat icons do look quite pretty in colour. Do you have lot of them of similar quality?

I do, actually. But, even though the icons look good, it doesn't mean I should necessarily abandon the monochrome look of the game.

"goblin basher's turn"
Should have these announcements only for player characters. As their purpose is to be prompts for player to give commands. Now it's just some extra noise in the message log.

Not 100% sure about this, since the game naturally pauses as the monster starts its turn anyway to give the player a chance to process what is happening. Showing whose turn it is versus just showing nothing at all doesn't cost any additional resources or time and is already programmed into the system.

"press enter/return to..."
drop one or the other.

This one I can agree on. It should probably read:
"Press ENTER to continue," since most computers in this era (maybe all of them) have an ENTER key instead of a RETURN key.

Dorateen

Arcane

The monochrome has charm and gives your game a distinct look. I did not upgrade to a VGA monitor until Pools of Darkness, so I played the first six Gold Box games with a limited color palette. Having said that, once seeing the full color version, I think the details stand out more. Maybe helps distinguish among different combat icons as well. So if given the option, I would probably prefer the color. But I don't see any problem if you want to stay with the original tint.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Except for one person (on another forum), the response seems to be that people prefer the color. I don't have an issue with this, other than it changes the artistic style...because color choice is an artistic choice.

In my personal opinion, though, the color looks like a cheap knock-off, but the monochrome looks old-school authentic.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Gotta say, I prefer the coloured version as well, although I understand your reasoning for going monochrome. That said, did you consider a setup where you can have a cake and it it too? What I mean is, what if your game took place in two parallel worlds - full-colour and monochrome, and you could switch between them using portals or spells. Or maybe you could have the colours desaturate as the party delves deeper into the dungeon. You could make this effect very subtle for maximum mindfuckery.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Or simply make it an option in the game's settings. If you have all the assets done in colour already, generating a cyan version would require little to no effort; I'm with the colour crowd here.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The amount of work I would have to do to have the assets in two formats would probably not be worth it and would take away time I could use on development. The color option is actually the easier option, since all the assets I'm using are already in color. So, I will probably just switch.

Thanks for the feedback. I needed other eyes on it.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, creating two copies of each asset would be quite a hassle, but that's not what I meant. You could create a simple image effect shader that turns the screen to grayscale and then tints it with a desired colour.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, creating two copies of each asset would be quite a hassle, but that's not what I meant. You could create a simple image effect shader that turns the screen to grayscale and then tints it with a desired colour.

I considered that, though I will say I don't know the first thing about how to do that. If anyone has any information or links to information about how to do that kind of thing, I would look into it. Might be nice to have an option for people who want an old school monochrome style (and it would definitely save me a lot of work).

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Okay ProphetSword, here you go. I'm posting it here in case anyone else wants it:

https://mega.nz/#!tCxBgSjb!RSvMMBvuVK-CGDz4h-8yLXfBc6U2DdnXny7gmNEORhw

The package contains a shader, a material and an example scene. If you want to use it in your game, just import the package into your project and put GrayscaleTintImageEffect.cs script on your main camera. Then, drag and drop the the GrayscaleTint.mat material to the Post Process Mat field on the script. The material has a Tint property where you can specify the color you want. Make sure the script is enabled on the camera, hit play and enjoy :) . In case you want to change the tint at runtime, the image effect contains a public method called SetTint. The shader itself was created in Amplify Shader Editor, but it was simple enough that the auto-generated code is quite readable.

Some screenies:

zOhw9fp.png

VkbOzpc.png

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
zwanzigs game looks and sounds great, but i havent seen anything that actually makes it look fun. tho i suppose some people could find the atmosphere fun in and of itself

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
zwanzigs game looks and sounds great, but i havent seen anything that actually makes it look fun. tho i suppose some people could find the atmosphere fun in and of itself
Thanks.
Guess the style and atmosphere are the main selling points together with exploration and long-term resource management, but the latter two are next to impossible to show on screenshots. Have you played the demo?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Okay ProphetSword, here you go. I'm posting it here in case anyone else wants it:

https://mega.nz/#!tCxBgSjb!RSvMMBvuVK-CGDz4h-8yLXfBc6U2DdnXny7gmNEORhw

The package contains a shader, a material and an example scene. If you want to use it in your game, just import the package into your project and put GrayscaleTintImageEffect.cs script on your main camera. Then, drag and drop the the GrayscaleTint.mat material to the Post Process Mat field on the script. The material has a Tint property where you can specify the color you want. Make sure the script is enabled on the camera, hit play and enjoy :) . In case you want to change the tint at runtime, the image effect contains a public method called SetTint. The shader itself was created in Amplify Shader Editor, but it was simple enough that the auto-generated code is quite readable.

It didn't work for me, but thanks for the effort. I'm sure someone will be able to use it.

I won't be able to use it because the UI elements of the game don't utilize the Main Camera, so the only part affected was the 3D movement screen, and it became a solid color (couldn't see beyond it) when activated.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I won't be able to use it because the UI elements of the game don't utilize the Main Camera, so the only part affected was the 3D movement screen, and it became a solid color (couldn't see beyond it) when activated.

Try the new Post Processing stack. It's in the Asset store and it's free, though you'll probably need to upgrade your version of Unity to use it and I'm not sure if it works with Unity Personal. You can just attach a Post Effects Base to your main camera and fiddle around with RGB curves. If you can't use it, there are some legacy camera post-effects that you can try. In your case, that's probably a better solution than using a custom shader.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Can't upgrade my copy of Unity, sadly, since one of the tools that's essential to my project no longer works in newer version of Unity. I wish it did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom