Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Better taste than you, retard. Sorry I don't like CYOA books. If I wanted to play one, I'd rent a Lone Wolf from the library.
Tryhard newfag.
newfag? cyoa books? see, that's what I was talking about... cyoa's are old as fuck, first games was text-based ones, but bitches like you act like they are super hardcore-oldfags who only plays REAL games...
pathetic
First games were text-based? Educate yourself, motherfucker:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_history_of_video_games

And you must be fucking retarded if you think I am an Undertale fan. It's a creative game but having to tell hordes of idiotic fanboys that it isn't the best game ever made has left me more jaded than it should. In summary: go suck a dick you fucking homo.

valcik

Arcane
RPGs were always about exploring and killing shit.
„There is a passage leading down to the basement. At the far end is a barred passage.”
>_
>down (a.k.a. TELEPORT ME DOWN NAO!)
„You are in the basement.”

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Adventure games and IF are RPGs now? News to me C'mon guy, you can't win. I forgot more about the genre than you will ever know. I'm well aware of the history of Rogue and its even more primitive predecessors, and painfully aware of the beginning of computer gaming.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Let's pretend D&D wasn't a combat-focused battle game with 'roleplaying' thrown in.

valcik

Arcane
Interesting. Let me ask you Jasede, what game (digital or not) do you consider to be very first RPG? You know, the grandfather of RPG?
Anyway, the point is that the transitions/teleports were there before the CYOA games, in much older and often linear games with straightforward story.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Let's pretend D&D wasn't a combat-focused battle game with 'roleplaying' thrown in.

Let’s pretend that the dumbest players did not played D&D as combat-focused game, and that most of the industry did not reflect this pattern for decades. Let’s pretend that some players were not confused by this to the point that role-playing in cRPGs is an anathema, a CYOA thing. Let’s all pretend. It’s better this way, it makes more sense.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
The Dungeon, (pedit5) on the PLATO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedit5
1024px-Pedit5_gameplay.png

It was about running around and killing shit. "Roleplaying" and pretending you're a dwarf is gay nerd shit.

Disclaimer for the dumb:
Please understand that isn't my actual position. I am being facetious because it is kind of annoying having to explain that combat-focused RPGs have just as much a right to be considered RPGs than games that are focused on getting different ending slides.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It was about running around and killing shit. "Roleplaying" and pretending you're a dwarf is gay nerd shit.

That doesn’t change anything, does it? I think you are attributing to much importance for historical accidents and labels, and too little importance to the nature of things. The first cosmologists and physicists were pre-Socratic philosophers who tried to explain everything using one single natural element without rigor. They were also philosophers at the time. Does that mean that physics and cosmology should aim to explain everything using one natural element without rigor? No, it doesn’t. Does that mean that philosophers should try to explain everything using one natural element? No, it doesn’t. Take astronomy. The first astronomers were astrologists, and Copernicus itself didn’t thought that astrology was incompatible with astronomy. Does this imply that astronomy nature is associated with astrology? No, it doesn’t. Take painting. The first paintings were attempts to represent the world in a realistic manner. Does that encapsulate the nature of painting? No, it doesn’t, because we also have abstract art, cubism, whatever.

Now, take role-playing games. The first pen & paper games labelled as RPGs were combat games. Does that mean that they were cRPGs in which you can assume multiple roles, including the ability to avoid combat? No, it doesn’t. They were just strategy games. Later on, some people made new games that we are also labelled as RPGs, but were genuine RPGs. The fact is that RPG, or cRPG, are terms that have been badly treated. Today, even an action game such as Skyrm is considered as a cRPG. That is the consequence of using labelling practices to determine the nature of something. It is a superficial way of seeing things. I’m pretty sure that Britney Spears is not classical music if someone decide to labelled it that way.

Please understand that isn't my actual position. I am being facetious because it is kind of annoying having to explain that combat-focused RPGs have just as much a right to be considered RPGs than games that are focused on getting different ending slides.

A comment that faithfully reflects your poor understanding of things. Our understating of the nature of science, philosophy, painting, etc., evolves and mature with time. Why this should be different with RPGs? The very fact that has been a practice of labelling completely different games as RPGs should tell you that labels can’t always be trusted and doesn’t decide the issue. From the facts that combat games have one element in common with RPGs, and were mislabeled as RPGs for decades, doesn't follow that they should be considered as RPGs. To use tradition of labeling RPGs in this discussion is circular reasoning, because the tradition is what is being questioned in the first place.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
From the facts that combat games have one element in common with RPGs, and were mislabeled as RPGs for decades

:lol:
This is what dumbfuck storyfags actually believe.

Inb4 RPGs didn't really exist before AoD, people were just calling some games like that.

After all, as Sawyer said, Wizardry wouldn't be an RPG if it was released today.

RPG is actually different ending slides today if I'm not mistaken, yes? Because storyfags wouldn't like consequences that actually affect the game.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Great results. Regardless of the rhetoric thrown around here, at the end of the day the right decisions are made and the numbers add up. Before there was Trump, there was the Codex.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Inb4 RPGs didn't really exist before AoD, people were just calling some games like that.

No, the first cRPG was the first game with C&C. I’m pretty sure that there are many more besides AoD, because this goes way back. I don’t have a clue what the first game was, but Darklands, Realms of Arkania 2 and Kings of Dragon Pass, all had reactivity. FO, FO2, PS:T, MoTB, Prelude to Darkness and a bunch of other cRPGs also had reactivity. You can yell whatever you want. Yelling will not change the facts; instead, will just make you look childish.

After all, as Sawyer said, Wizardry wouldn't be an RPG if it was released today.

Sawyer is wrong, because combatfags pretty much guaranteed that anything that has combat in it is considered a cRPG. Combatfags are the reason why games such as FO4 are considered as cRPGs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Which in no way is a requirement for RPGs. Nothing stops anyone from railroading an entire adventure besides the desire to do better.

A shitty RPG is still an RPG. Simple thing that a lot of people trying to define CRPG forget.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Which in no way is a requirement for RPGs.

Why? Because you are assuming that combat games are RPGs because most people think that combat games are RPGs? I just see assertions deprived of argumentation.

Nothing stops anyone from railroading an entire adventure besides the desire to do better.

The desire to do better has nothing to do with the nature of a game.

A shitty RPG is still an RPG.

No, games without C&C are not bad cRPGs. They are not cRPGs, period. KotoR is cRPG, but it’s a shitty cRPG. Wizandrys can be good adventure games, but they are not cRPGs. I find amusing how you guys can be all worked up by that. Why can't you admit that you prefer something else? Just say it. “I prefer adventure and strategy games, fuck cRPGs”. Just be honest. You can’t admit this because you can’t accept that most people wrongly labelled games as cRPGs for decades. It’s a matter of foolish, purist, pride. “No way we are wrong, because we have the tradition on your side, most people think like us”. Sorry to inform you, but your tradition is wrong, budy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom