Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Co8 content issues & bugs

Endarire

Scholar
Elemental Nodes
If Elemental Nodes are on the Prime Material Plane then yes.

Console Cheats and Multiclass Casters
Also, I used the console cheat to give myself 999999 EXP for test purposes. Perhaps it's the cheat or Lax Rules, but I went Druid2/Wizard1 and was able to take Craft Wondrous Item. CWI normally requires a caster level of 3. The base game enforced this prereq.
Fixed 1.0.41 (it was ++ing the caster level as though you were going Druid/3)

There was another bug with multiclassed casters. I went Druid2/Wizard1/Druid+1/Wizard+1 and the game showed me bonus feats as if I had just gone Wizard5. I wasn't able to learn Craft Magic Arms & Armor as a bonus feat, probably because I lacked the Wizard caster level, but I could take Brew Potion. Odd. (It's like the engine couldn't keep all the caster levels from various classes straight! This may be related to the above problem, and if it's a debug-only problem, it still may be worth fixing.)
Fixed by now :P

Also, after I used the super EXP cheat, I was able to choose any base class to level up in despite alignment restrictions. I couldn't enter any PrCs at level 2, though.
Sounds like Lax rules were on?

Craft Staff, Craft Rod, Craft Window
The text for the bottom right box didn't stay in the box. It continued within its left-to-right confines way below the box. This was only noticeable for items with mini descriptions, such as a Staff of Air Elemental Control or Black Rod.

Co8 bug

Last edited by a moderator:

Endarire

Scholar
Wild Shape Inventory Bug
I can't pick up nor craft any items while Wild Shaped. The character says his inventory is full and drops the item or leaves it where it was.

This may be present in the vanilla game.

Boots of Speed Bug
Here.

I crafted the boots, put them on, hotkeyed them, used 'em a buncha times and got nothing, used them in combat mode and got nothing, then rested and did the same thing. The green spell effect occurred, however.

I'm also using Rudy's Item Mod 0.7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Endarire

Scholar
Welkwood Bog: If I use the dialog option to flee from the ogre, the game hangs and combat begins - probably because we were suddenly moved to unexplored territory.

Endarire

Scholar
Sticky Arcane Tattoos
In Hommlet's labor camp, there's a cloaked woman (Yvy) who sells arcane tattoos - equippable items in the body slot. These tattoos can't be dropped nor sold, but I believe they should be able to.

If the person who speaks to her and buys a tattoo has a full inventory, the tattoos fall to the ground and whoever picks this item up can't get rid of it!

Kosiciel

Novice
Sticky Arcane Tattoos
In Hommlet's labor camp, there's a cloaked woman (Yvy) who sells arcane tattoos - equippable items in the body slot. These tattoos can't be dropped nor sold, but I believe they should be able to.
If the person who speaks to her and buys a tattoo has a full inventory, the tattoos fall to the ground and whoever picks this item up can't get rid of it!

Those are tattoos, I guess it was intended to not be able to drop/sell them :)

Elestan

Educated
Falrinth should not be able to Teleport away if he is Silenced. For that matter, he shouldn't be able to say "I think I shall take my leave now" either.

Endarire

Scholar
Falrinth (Temple Level 3)
If you fight him long enough the first time to get him to leave, he disappears. (He probably teleports.) However, on his return - for me - the Smigmal and 2 assassin fight fron the next room triggered immediately despite my never opening that door. (That kinda makes sense since someone assaulted her roommate.)

HOWEVER, Falrinth did NOTHING while my party killed Smigmal, the 2 assassins, a bugbear, and him. Falrinth also kept his HP total and debuffs (webbed, blinded, etc.) from before. It's like he's forced to respawn there but has no AI.

Last edited:

Elestan

Educated
Per the original module, the Galebs Duhr in the Earth Node are Neutral, and should not be KOS. They would be more appropriate as a quest-giver.

The Earth Node also surprised me, because most of TOEE generally appears to have been made harder than the original module, but the Earth Node is missing a bunch of monsters that the module has: Basilisks, Bowlers, Crysmals, a Dracolisk, a pair of Black Dragons, a pack of Stone Giants, Khargra, Rock reptiles, Stroper, Xaren, and Xorn. Perhaps because Troika ran out of time?

Endarire

Scholar
If a companion NPC picks up coinage, it goes into a pile in his inventory and not into the party's fund. This seems like a holdover from the original game when NPCs would hog items.

Endarire

Scholar
Temple Battle Mode (Bug?)
-I got the mission from Kelno, the high Air Priest, to put his special unholy water in the Earth Temple pyramid. The best way to do this was to break down the barricade via the dialog option. After doing this and killing the Earth Temple (and leaving for Hommlet then returning), the other temples went on high alert (KOS to us). Even the Air Temple went KOS to us. What happened?

Elestan

Educated
When you kill a high priest, all the other temples go on alert unless they specifically gave you a mission to kill that high priest. Personally, I think this is a bit too touchy; there are a lot of intrigues going on, and if (for example) Kelno were to kill Alrrem, I doubt it would trouble Romag enough for him to disrupt his whole temple's operation. I think it should take two unrequested high priest deaths to put a temple on alert, not one - that shows that it's a pattern, not a coincidence.

Also on the topic of alerts, the level 2 temples really need alert conditions when their troops get killed (like Earth does).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Temple Battle Mode (Bug?)
-I got the mission from Kelno, the high Air Priest, to put his special unholy water in the Earth Temple pyramid. The best way to do this was to break down the barricade via the dialog option. After doing this and killing the Earth Temple (and leaving for Hommlet then returning), the other temples went on high alert (KOS to us). Even the Air Temple went KOS to us. What happened?

The bit about the Air Temple is indeed an oversight, since defiling the Earth Altar is tantamount to killing Romag under those circumstances. They shouldn't got KOS though - could that be because of your charmed minions? It would help if you could send a savegame.

When you kill a high priest, all the other temples go on alert unless they specifically gave you a mission to kill that high priest. Personally, I think this is a bit too touchy; there are a lot of intrigues going on, and if (for example) Kelno were to kill Alrrem, I doubt it would trouble Romag enough for him to disrupt his whole temple's operation. I think it should take two unrequested high priest deaths to put a temple on alert, not one - that shows that it's a pattern, not a coincidence.
That's inaccurate - the Temples have varying levels of tolerance (with Kelno being most paranoid, and Alrrem the least).

Elestan

Educated

That's inaccurate - the Temples have varying levels of tolerance (with Kelno being most paranoid, and Alrrem the least).

You're right; let me correct myself:

When you kill a high priest, all the other temples except for Fire will go on alert unless they've given you a mission to kill a high priest. Fire only requires you to have talked to Alrrem to avoid alerting.

I think that's correct, at least according to the comments in the alert_foo() methods.

Endarire

Scholar
Extraplanar chest has a note explaining how this spell doesn't reliably work. Charged items and items modified by craft feats (like Arms & Armor) get destroyed or have their crafted properties removed.

For example, if I find a +3 Longsword off a creature, it remains a +3 Longsword. If, however, I find a +1 Longsword and craft it to a +3 Longsword, the extraplanar chest will turn it back into a +1 Longsword.

Endarire

Scholar
Harpy Songs Ignore Line of Effect
(Temple1) We had most our party by the stairwell to the Upper Temple. Oohlgrist had protection from evil. He was in the room with the harpies. Others were far, far away out of line of sight and effect.

Why did the party members on the other side of the wall and hall get affected?

How did you know I opened that?
(Temple2) Someone affected by improved invisibility who casts knock on the Fire Temple chest gets a verbal rebuke by the priest there immediately followed by combat starting. How did he know that chest opened and where we were?

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
Robe of the ArchmagICK
A Robe of the Archmagi should grant these effects:

+4 resistance bonus to all saves
SR 18
+5 armor AC bonus
+2 spell penetration

Observed Effects
+1 resistance bonus to all saves
SR 17
+5 armor AC bonus
Unsure about the spell penetration - could not tell

ToEE's robe is priced the same as RAW but does less. This is RAWng (wrong).

Endarire

Scholar
Rogue10, 13, 16... Bonus Feats
Unsure if this is Co8, vanilla, or otherwise, but as a Wizard2/Rogue10, I was allowed to take a general feat as well as a bonus feat. This bonus feat was from a very generously big list (Acrobatics, Alertness, and some Fighter bonus feats as well) and included Wizard bonus feats too.

What was NOT highlighted was Defensive Roll and Skill Mastery, abilities which should have been gold (class bonus special) at that point.

Endarire

Scholar
Mislead
The name is apt: I can't scribe a mislead scroll despite knowing the spell. The spell isn't even on the eligible scrolls list!

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
Mal-Forge Ring
The craft item window misses "of" in its names. For example, the craft list window shows "Ring Blinking" and "Ring Invisibility" but should be "Ring of Blinking," etc.

Prices are also off.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Mal-Forge Ring
The craft item window misses "of" in its names. For example, the craft list window shows "Ring Blinking" and "Ring Invisibility" but should be "Ring of Blinking," etc.

Prices are also off.
Can you make a list of items with wrong prices, and what they should be? You've pointed out quite a few...

Mathalor

Educated
I killed the meadows giant.

I've never seen a giant attack, and kill, a spiritual weapon before. Looks like they have approximately 100 hit points. Who knew?

They were both in the middle of an entangle, but neither were affected at the time.

Endarire

Scholar
Mordenkainen's Typo
Mordenkainen's sword is missing the 's from the Sor/Wiz spell list, but its full help description is properly spelled.

Suggestion: Fix Dominate Monster
Dominate monster has two Sor/Wiz9 entries - the true dominate monster and the renamed suggestion. The renamed suggestion has these problems:

-It's super confusing! Why are there 2 spell IDs for this spell?

-Its scroll (and Burne starts with one) has an improper market value. The market value should be 3825G.

-The renamed version's scroll is not craftable, but the true version's scroll is.

Uncraftable Scrolls
These scrolls should be craftable, but are absent from the Scribe Scroll craft window. These are higher priority because they're Wizard spells:

-Banishment
-Control Undead
-Dominate Monster (the version renamed from Suggestion)
-Meteor Swarm
-Mislead
-Sunburst
-Wail of the Banshee

These are non-Wizard spells:

-Atonement
-Destruction
-Dictum
-Fire Storm
-Planar Ally (lesser, normal, and greater)
-Word of Chaos

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
Analyze THIS!
Analyze dweomer (Wizard6) did not seem to work at all when I cast it on a party member with lots of unIDed magic gear in ToEE1's Secret Spiral Staircase. The casting animation played, the arcane spell failure check happened, and the spell slot was spent, but nothing was IDed.

I noticed some targeting hiccups with this spell. I could multitarget a creature (like targeting 5 times the guy who had the stuff to ID), and that pushing SPACE to accept the current array of targets (if I targeted less than the full amount) didn't work. It just reset the targets to 0 or 1. Even targeting 5 different characters didn't work for any of them!

Mathalor

Educated
This comes up all the time for me and it's very frustrating.

For any spell that has a number of targets and a target these only button over my caster's portrait, sometimes but not always, the target these only button deselects the monsters/friendlies I've selected and puts my target count back at one, without casting the spell. Cancelling out and selecting my targets again repeats the error. My options seem to be either to select additional creatures that I do not desire until I hit the max number and the spell goes off, or do something else and try again on a different round.

I've encountered this with slow, haste, animal growth, and heat metal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom