Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Trash, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Click here and disable ads!
    kinda neat that my old account still existed.
    ^ Top  
  2. Renegen Prophet

Renegen
    Meh, I agree with Paradox on this one, somewhat. I want for the purpose of flavor to have people die of diseases, I'm all for that. But at the same time, they just made everyone healthier but reduced their family size. It's not as authentic or epic as being fucked by your 7 healthy sons or having your only child die as an infant, but it cuts on the family bloat. I'll just wait for a mod that makes everything tougher, I really want the plague to exterminate dynasties here.
    ^ Top  
  3. eric_s Developer

eric_s
    The Holy Roman Emperor thought it would be a great idea to change succession from elective to primogeniture. I didn't like this so I conquered 2/3rds of Germany, became the king of Germany and made my own Holy Roman Empire by making it elective. The only difference is that every single count and duke is a member of my dynasty so I keep playing as king no matter who gets elected ; )

But yeah I think it would be a really nice feature to be able to make new, dynamic empires if you have 3 or more kingdoms. It is seriously frustrating dealing with all 5,000 German dukes and I'd really like to delegate this to a king one tier below me. You could say "why not become Holy Roman Emperor" but I just did all this shit specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with the Holy Roman Empire anymore. I'm about to break free from them!

The one nice thing about being king of Germany under the Holy Roman Empire is that I get all the benefits of high crown authority without the side effect of my vassals hating me - they hate the emperor.
    ^ Top  
  4. eric_s Developer

eric_s
    The biggest upgrade over CK1 is that you no longer spend 1/3rd of your time searching for potential wives.
    Spectacle Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  5. Fens Ford of the Llies Patron

Fens
    CK1 had an event, where the pope would give you the "emperor" title, no matter what country you were (a big and pious one, obviously), but it wasn't hereditary and it didn't make any real difference gameplay-wise... was still kinda nice

there was a nice list for suitable wives... there wasn't one for suitable husbands, though... finding an unmarried count/duke/king for your daughters was a nightmare
    ^ Top  
  6. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    there was a nice list for suitable wives... there wasn't one for suitable husbands, though... finding an unmarried count/duke/king for your daughters was a nightmare[/quote]

still is, i still have 2 unmarried daughters in their early thirties i simply cant find noble men for.
    ^ Top  
  7. Fens Ford of the Llies Patron

Fens
    at least you can invite a noble to your court now and make him marry her matrilineally... also: you don't have to wait till sixteen and then outclick the AI to marry the pretenders off
    ^ Top  
  8. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    I just created my first antipope and my income jumped from around 26 monthly to 70... damn, is that overpowered or what. Definitely needs a huge balance change.

Also its hilarious how some events are based on your income. Feast for 200 gold? Lavish food for 200 more? Welcome those hedge knights for 80? Sure, makes sense...
    ^ Top  
  9. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
  10. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    LIKE A LION KILLS AN ANTILOPE
    ^ Top  
  11. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    King died so i married his young second wife to his son. (two lots of sprogs from her)

She was hot mang, some dirty little bohemian bitch.
    ^ Top  
  12. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Tried playing those two counts on Sardinia, but HOLY FUCK! There should be a large area between Christian and Moslem lands called the "Rape Zone," where never-ending invasions by hostile infidels fuck you up. Tried the two counts, but both ended up being conquered by Moslem emirates in no time. What the hell.

Currently playing Count of Korchev, now Duke of Cherson (despite never ever holding the land called Cherson, lol). Its interesting that I have a large extended family in Russia and parts of Rhomaion, aparently all descended from some awesome Yaroslav duke. They sometimes call me to wars that never give me anykind of advantage. I'm scared of the Cumans, they've been kicking Turovian ass constantly. I got claims on Cherson and some other province, I had to join Byzantine Empire to be able to fight them, but I need to get me more troops before taking on either of them. Then I plan on going after Georgia, which is a two-province shithole kingdom near me. From my calculations, the provinces I want will give me the necessary troops to conquer them.

Also, Plots and Ambitions need SERIOUS work, they're nice ideas but limited as fuck.
    ^ Top  
  13. ironyuri Unwanted

Unwanted
  14. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    hurr you so witty
    ^ Top  
  15. ironyuri Unwanted

Unwanted
    hurr wikipedia so hard to use
    ^ Top  
  16. Smashing Axe Cipher Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    How did you manage that?
    ^ Top  
  17. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    It's not that I want families to be bloated it's that by removing death at childbirth and removing 99% of childhood mortality that they removed the element of chance almost alltogether. Now you just know that your children will live to become adults and thus you can pick an inheritor and be almost certain he'll be the one to take over. In a dynasty simulator that revolves around chance such certainties are incredibly detrimental for me.
    ^ Top  
  18. SCO Arcane

SCO
    I don't have the game yet, it's just a funny screenshoot i saw.
    ^ Top  
  19. Quilty Liturgist

Quilty
    I have to admit I feel the same. The element of chance is lacking in this area of the game.
    ^ Top  
  20. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    It shouldn't be hard to mod in a few sickness events for characters, triggered off the "health" stat and having a random outcome with some chance of death or permanent disability.
    ^ Top  
  21. CrimsonAngel Savant Patron

CrimsonAngel
    So i am playing as Denmark and my king had impregnated 2 of his brothers wife's and becaus of a ton of traits that decreased peopels opnions i was stuck in a war with only my Key provinces with some pissed of Vassals so i was only getting some 50% of the troops i would normaly get.
    To make matters worse the Duke of Finland (he had killed his brothers to take the area before i could change the laws) sent a GAINT doom stack of mercs my way.

Right before the final battle of who is going to be the king of Denmark he died. Not even an assassination he croaked for some reason ending the war and his son who did not hate me is now the DUKE.

HASSA ME!.
    ^ Top  
  22. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    I wonder if it would be very hard to mod in infant mortality and increase the overall mortality rate. One event with a very low chance of triggering leading to a stillborn during pregnancy. One event with a very low chance of triggering leading to a dead child during birth. One event with a very low chance of triggering leading to a dead mother and child. One event with a very low chance of triggeringleading to a dead mother and a living child during birth. One event with an almost 50% chance of triggering that has the child dying before adulthood. Fertility needs to be increased (double?) to balance it out and for increased mortality across the board and during adulthood diseases and illness should be made more deadly. Dunno if the fertility rate is hardcoded though. One or two events triggering due to low health and/or traits like maimed, ill and wounded with a random or medium chance of death would also go a long way.

Never modded any Paradox game. Wonder how hard it is.
    ^ Top  
  23. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    I've found the fertility rate modifier in 30 seconds. It's in static_modifiers.txt. Can't be arsed to balance it out by childbirth/childhood death events, though, so could anyone keen on delving in .txts (Varna?) do it? I'll help if I can.
    ^ Top  
  24. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Any good guides out there on modding with this latest engine? It all seems to be based on txt files but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to write new events. All I can found is stuff about new provinces and the like. Nothing on events.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)