Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just created my first antipope and my income jumped from around 26 monthly to 70... damn, is that overpowered or what. Definitely needs a huge balance change.

Also its hilarious how some events are based on your income. Feast for 200 gold? Lavish food for 200 more? Welcome those hedge knights for 80? Sure, makes sense...

ironyuri

images

Antipope?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I started a thread on the Paradox forum. Seems it's intentional. Bollocks what a bad design decision. Pop over and give your opinion. Perhaps we might get some dev to pay attention.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nti-biotics-and-modern-healthcare-in-the-game
Meh, I agree with Paradox on this one, somewhat. I want for the purpose of flavor to have people die of diseases, I'm all for that. But at the same time, they just made everyone healthier but reduced their family size. It's not as authentic or epic as being fucked by your 7 healthy sons or having your only child die as an infant, but it cuts on the family bloat. I'll just wait for a mod that makes everything tougher, I really want the plague to exterminate dynasties here.

It's not that I want families to be bloated it's that by removing death at childbirth and removing 99% of childhood mortality that they removed the element of chance almost alltogether. Now you just know that your children will live to become adults and thus you can pick an inheritor and be almost certain he'll be the one to take over. In a dynasty simulator that revolves around chance such certainties are incredibly detrimental for me.

Quilty

Magister
I started a thread on the Paradox forum. Seems it's intentional. Bollocks what a bad design decision. Pop over and give your opinion. Perhaps we might get some dev to pay attention.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nti-biotics-and-modern-healthcare-in-the-game
Meh, I agree with Paradox on this one, somewhat. I want for the purpose of flavor to have people die of diseases, I'm all for that. But at the same time, they just made everyone healthier but reduced their family size. It's not as authentic or epic as being fucked by your 7 healthy sons or having your only child die as an infant, but it cuts on the family bloat. I'll just wait for a mod that makes everything tougher, I really want the plague to exterminate dynasties here.

It's not that I want families to be bloated it's that by removing death at childbirth and removing 99% of childhood mortality that they removed the element of chance almost alltogether. Now you just know that your children will live to become adults and thus you can pick an inheritor and be almost certain he'll be the one to take over. In a dynasty simulator that revolves around chance such certainties are incredibly detrimental for me.

I have to admit I feel the same. The element of chance is lacking in this area of the game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It shouldn't be hard to mod in a few sickness events for characters, triggered off the "health" stat and having a random outcome with some chance of death or permanent disability.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So i am playing as Denmark and my king had impregnated 2 of his brothers wife's and becaus of a ton of traits that decreased peopels opnions i was stuck in a war with only my Key provinces with some pissed of Vassals so i was only getting some 50% of the troops i would normaly get.
To make matters worse the Duke of Finland (he had killed his brothers to take the area before i could change the laws) sent a GAINT doom stack of mercs my way.

Right before the final battle of who is going to be the king of Denmark he died. Not even an assassination he croaked for some reason ending the war and his son who did not hate me is now the DUKE.

HASSA ME!.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It shouldn't be hard to mod in a few sickness events for characters, triggered off the "health" stat and having a random outcome with some chance of death or permanent disability.

I wonder if it would be very hard to mod in infant mortality and increase the overall mortality rate. One event with a very low chance of triggering leading to a stillborn during pregnancy. One event with a very low chance of triggering leading to a dead child during birth. One event with a very low chance of triggering leading to a dead mother and child. One event with a very low chance of triggeringleading to a dead mother and a living child during birth. One event with an almost 50% chance of triggering that has the child dying before adulthood. Fertility needs to be increased (double?) to balance it out and for increased mortality across the board and during adulthood diseases and illness should be made more deadly. Dunno if the fertility rate is hardcoded though. One or two events triggering due to low health and/or traits like maimed, ill and wounded with a random or medium chance of death would also go a long way.

Never modded any Paradox game. Wonder how hard it is.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I've found the fertility rate modifier in 30 seconds. It's in static_modifiers.txt. Can't be arsed to balance it out by childbirth/childhood death events, though, so could anyone keen on delving in .txts (Varna?) do it? I'll help if I can.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Any good guides out there on modding with this latest engine? It all seems to be based on txt files but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to write new events. All I can found is stuff about new provinces and the like. Nothing on events.

Destroid

Arcane
I found it pretty easy and their scripts quite simple to understand. Working out where everything is can be tricky as the scripts are split into many files.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Man, I was so excited for the hordes to come and tear up the Byzantines and Russia but they both came at the same time and ended up fighting each other. What a letdown : (

Renegen

Arcane
Any good guides out there on modding with this latest engine? It all seems to be based on txt files but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to write new events. All I can found is stuff about new provinces and the like. Nothing on events.
I'm not sure you want to modify the fertility event. I get the feeling each wife is hard-capped at 5 children. Well GL, I'll definitively download, maybe I even want to mod this game too!

I've been dealing with some BULLSHIT today. So in my game as the King of Sweden, I expanded a bit into Finland and everything was going fairly well. Then my first king dies. Oh well, he had a good run and lasted until 1096. Well, a civil war breaks out over the succession (not surprisingly) with the new King and the Duchy of Uppland. Well, I hadn't converted everyone to Christianity yet, so within the Duchy, most of it broke off and became an independent heathen Chiefdom. So I reconquer Uppland, and then Denmark and Norway declare war on the heathens and take the other two Duchies in the vicinity. It's 1124 and I just recently took the Danish holdings back, but man am I pissed! Getting ready for a war with Norway for the other holdings to reform Sweden, and then I have a clame on part of Denmark that I plan on taking advantage of, but shit man... this game can throw some curve balls at you.

Oh, and holy orders are WAY fucking powerful. All of my kings are pious as shit, so I just hire Holy orders to defeat heathen armies, disband them, and then Bob's your uncle.

Oh, and high ranking spymasters are overpowered, too. I have a 21 spymaster, assassination chance 45% with a discovery chance of 15%... silly.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Holy orders like an iron fist that crushes anything in its path. They are so heavy on heaviest troops they suffer very little damage and can defeat even way larger armies. Someday I have to try and form an army composed of three holy orders... this should slice through any heathen like a knife through warm butter.

Another issue that needs rebalancing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'm not sure you want to modify the fertility event. I get the feeling each wife is hard-capped at 5 children. Well GL, I'll definitively download, maybe I even want to mod this game too!

Nah, there is no hardcap and fertility is just another stat in the txt files. There is even a screenshot with a guy having 19 kids. The reason most have no more than 5 children is because Paradox severely limited fertility as a gameplay mechanism. Apparently they decided to severely reduce child mortality and make up for that with less children. That reducing challenge was commented by some as being part of their approach to reach a wider audience. Grrr. Anyway, I'll wait for a bit as someone who has apparantly done more modding is doing a mortality mod that's also quite a bit more ambitious than what I had in mind. If it's not to my liking I'll give it a try though. Seems events aren't nearly as hard to figure out as I thought. Untill then however my 'Memento Mori' mod idea is on hold.

Another issue that needs rebalancing.

They are extremely powerful. However they also dropped like flies in the preview version because of the huge attrition penalties. They apparantly tweaked those for release though.

Oh, and the first patch is out.

Quilty

Magister
Thanks for the link!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom