Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Trash, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Father Walker Potato Ranger

Father Walker
    Click here and disable ads!
    War goals need to be fixed imo. I often find myself starting wars against the same person one by one, since I can't have a single war with multiple objectives.

This ambition system is cool. Too bad that most ambitions and plots are kinda meh. Plots to kill other folks make no sense often. Why do I have option to plot against my wife, but no options to plot against bros who are actually dangerous to me?

Battles are oddly similar to EU3, i.e. lots of chasing enemy units around the map.

Events seem to have the problem I've seen in earlier Paradox games, i.e. they have one obvious choice. I find myself choosing same options over and over, since others are pretty meh.
    ^ Top  
  2. XenomorphII Scholar

XenomorphII
    The war goals need to be of the same type. If you have multiple claims on the same person, then there should be a "Press all claims" option to select.
    ^ Top  
  3. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    yeah, you should be able to choose which one to plot-kill from a list.

also more work on the war goal is kinda needed, like alliances, selling/buying provinces.
    ^ Top  
  4. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    The historical reason for why France didn't expand into Iberia is the Pyrenees. Paradox games have never really tried to simulate the effect geography has on government, and instead we get various hackjob solutions to try and enforce "historical" behavior when the real historical incentives are missing from the game.
    ^ Top  
  5. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    The historical reason why France didnt expand at ALL during that time was because the French king couldnt order his vassals to do anything for him and his authority expanded not even over the whole Ille de France (however its spelled). We need better kingdom authority system with actual conditions that need to be met and penalties for kings power.

Minimal authority? You shouldnt be able to raise levies unless allied or invaded, no taxes. Each step up should be hard, require long reign, high stats and support from vassals. And often a won civil war. Right now you click and you get what you want.

Overall it needs balancing.
    ^ Top  
  6. Raghar Magister

Raghar
    Because BROBERT would come and kill you.
    ^ Top  
  7. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
  8. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Doing a King of Sweden game... I noticed two countesses with each other as heirs and no children/husbands... Had to send some guys in with knives to take care of business and take those counties for myself. I've exerted my claim on Norway while they were busy in England and had a rebellion going on, and have taken some of the pagan provinces to the North while getting a nice ally in the HRE (although the HRE is severely overpowered... that needs to be fixed). Also, I agree on the assassination front. It's just too easy to do (although I personally have never felt victim to an attempt, it is only 1090). I'll actually have some time to play this weekend, at which time I'll also be going to see Macbeth, so that should get me in the mood for some knives in the dark. Also, yeah... fuck having too many sons. Just gives headaches for the next ruler and penalties for when you don't give them lands.
    ^ Top  
  9. raw Arcane

raw
    vicky 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ck2
    ^ Top  
  10. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    That's a motherfucking lie.
    ^ Top  
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Carpetmunching detected. If anybody asks, just say you did the right thing by killing those satanic women with unholy temptations.

Vicky 2 was boring as fuck for me, CK2 is boatloads of fun.
    ^ Top  
  12. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    So about this game series...

It seems to me the main difference, or appeal of this over Total War is that this very much focuses on internal politics and power struggles whereas Total War is very "external," dealing more with conflicts between nations and the like. I think that's cool and it's something I'd always wished Total War games would focus on more. But I'm still not sure about this real time thing. Seems to me that that always by its nature lessens the amount of options you can have. Also, is it just one continuous grand campaign? I've played other RTS's, but the key there is that they are always split up into smaller more digestible missions. So how exactly does this shit work? And how long does a campaign last? Are we talking Total War length here?

Sell me on this shit bros. I'm willing to give this series a chance, but I need more motivation. Tell me why it's the best thing ever.
    ^ Top  
  13. XenomorphII Scholar

XenomorphII
    Read my LP.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...usader-kings-2-i-want-to-be-a-basileus.69371/

It might give you a better idea of what it is, then anything anyone can tell you.
    ^ Top  
  14. EmoBunny Learned

EmoBunny
    You're way too stuck on the real-time aspect. It's real time, but it's not an rts.
    ^ Top  
  15. Oriental European Learned

Oriental European
    DOA map for EUIII has impassable mountain ranges, feels much better actually.
    ^ Top  
  16. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    CK2 also has impassable mountains in places, though not the Pyrenees. But that's not really the problem, armies did cross the Pyrenees from time to time, it's the difficulty of exerting any permanent control on the other side of a mountain range I'd like to see included in the game.
    ^ Top  
  17. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I still say it's better to keep your sons at home (hell, all close family at home) than give them shit. Bastards will backstab you at the drop of a hat.
    ^ Top  
  18. Father Walker Potato Ranger

Father Walker
    Just download the demo and there you go.
    ^ Top  
  19. raw Arcane

raw
    you simply don't have the level of assburgers neccessary to understand why vicky 2 is the more sound game.
    ^ Top  
  20. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Hey, I love Vicky2, but come on man. Come on. Seriously. Come on.
    ^ Top  
  21. raw Arcane

raw
  22. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    :lol:

When nothing is happening you just let the game run in real time (the smallest point of time being a day, what on the slowest setting takes about 5 seconds to pass and on the fastest passes in a single second). When something important happens and you have to make a decision (your king contemplates banging the cute maid, two armies meet and a battle begins etc) the game pauses and you choose what you do (i.e pick "fuck the maid" and you loose piety and a bastard pops up or in the case of the battle beginning you decide what other armies you wish to shuffle into the fray, whether to retreat or decide your men have got this and watch the battle unfurl).

When it's peacetime and your just chilling collecting taxes and waiting for your new port to build you probably run the game on a pretty high speed but when it's war or you've uncovered a plot to assassinate the King of France you'll probably slow it down and pause more frequently. This concept is probably familiar too you if you've ever played a Infinity Engine game. If your just trashing some rats in the basement, you won't need to be managing things very carefully and can just watch your fighter and paladin whack away. If your fighting the Arch-Necromancer of the Crypt of Doom your probably going to be juggling around health potions and deciding whether your wizard should be casting Cone of Cold or Summon Monster IV.

I was going to just call you a tard trying to turn this into a GRPG "what is the true nature of turn-based" aspie fest, but it occurred to me you might be the 0.1% of strategy gamers on the 'Dex who hasn't played a Paradox game.

tl;dr the system works and I've never heard of someone having a problem with it or even difficulty comprehending it
    ^ Top  
  23. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Blackadder
    ^ Top  
  24. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    They should really allow you to create your own empire when you have more than one Kingdom. Expansion idea? :smug:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)