Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

rezaf

Cipher
What are the goto CK2 mods these days?
I want to try the GoT mod, but other than that, I haven't looked yet. They ousted my old account with their forum reorganization and I've yet to create a new one...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I had a huge blast with Geheimnisnacht (the WHFB mod), but currently I'm waiting for its first patch post first HL patch.

Besides that, I myself like Historical Immersion Project when playing regular game (HIP is essentially the base game with a lot more flavour and little tweaks), haven't tried CK2+ which is the other big mod in that respect (Trash dislikes its emphasis on multiplayer balance). Personally I like a lot of CK2+'s feature list, things like Cadet dynasties are what I'd put in myself, and at least on paper I like the anti-blobber paradigm.

Barbarian

Arcane
HIP is the best major mod by far. I specially enjoy their custom map with historical provinces and borders.

CK2+ comes second.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Guys, I need a bit of help here - I've been looking into buying DLC for the game, but I'm not sure which ones to get since, from what I've read here, some of those fuck the game up real bad.

In any case, I already have:
- Sword of Islam
- Legacy of Rome

I don't think I should get Sunset Invasion because the premise sounds ridiculous to me - but does it add anything to the game except Aztecs?

So, the remaining shit is:
- The Republic
- The Old Gods

The 2 you have and the 2 bolded are the closest you have to 'necessary' dlc. They allow you to play the most rulers and religions and add important features. Sons of Abraham is probably no.5 in line.

Vaarna_Aarne

tbh i dunno if during gameplay, but you certainly can in character creator
Well, obviously, though personally I nowadays often think about removing lifestyle traits from the char creator whenever I mod it (usually I just mod out all the costs, since I think it's better to treat the char creator as something that operates under an honour code and your personal taste, rather than some sort of misguided attempt at balance). At the very least, I never pick em myself since it kind of defeats the purpose of having a full experience with your Glorious Dynastic Founder (And Literally The Father Of The Nation).

LizardWizard

Cipher
What are the goto CK2 mods these days?
I want to try the GoT mod, but other than that, I haven't looked yet. They ousted my old account with their forum reorganization and I've yet to create a new one...

CK2+' faction system is better than anything in HIP and the devs actually update the thing in a timely fashion.

Warhammer mod owns but is slow as all fuck.

Vaarna_Aarne

It worked relatively fast for me, but I last used the Way of Life version. Currently I'm waiting for the first version that comes after the first major Horselords patch.

I'll probably play Horselords with CK2+, to check how it compares to HIP.

Erzherzog

Magister
Just bought this game, managed to get the third generation group of supermen, firstborn over 20 martial, second over 20 diplo, over 20 stewardship, 5th had over 10 learning and 4th born son was useless.

So the 2nd born murdered the first born and his son while the thirdborn left the kingdom and came back with a 2k stack that I had no hope against.

I'm supposing that's more typical than I expect?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
There's a variety of ways to deal with unwanted heirs, depending on your laws, religion etc. One of the better ones is just having a load of bastards and legitimizing the best one of the bunch - legit heirs will usually just fuck things up for you, especially if you're foolish enough to give them landed titles. Trustno1, except eunuchs.

Erzherzog

Magister
Oh great, I have 5 duchies in the kingdom of ireland and I just divided them up between my 5 sons, guess I'm in for fun times fighting them?

I figured they always got so mad in my court and started plotting to kill people so best to move them away, but I suppose if their opinion score goes down because they're unlanded all they can do is get mad and plot to kill instead of raising their levies and making things so at knifepoint.

Any tips on how to go about marriages? I usually just try to get the 4 point level people into my kingdom so they can educate children and give me obnoxiously statistically strong characters, but I don't really look into using it for any other benefit outside that.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Having educated people in your court is always good, but having genetically superior übermenschen is even better. Try and get as many strong and genius types as you can - those traits can be inherited by their children. As for marriage, just try and get a waifu with as many stats as you can, since half of them will count towards your realm stats, the numbers in parentheses next to your personal stats (if you go the bastard route, it's better to marry some 40+ hag because they won't breed any legit heirs - sadly there's no falcon punch abortion option in CK2). You should always educate your heir yourself so you can choose the outcomes and get the best traits. If your current ruler doesn't have the education you want, you can always get a better one for them if you switch them to be tutored by someone else at least six months before their 16th birthday.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh you're in for the usual perpetual dynastic cold war. Also, the primary reason to use Elective Monarchy is the ability to have a control over your heir, so you can pick the best grandson instead of son (unless the son is like a twenty year old übermensch). Elective is particularly important to anyone with polygamy or concubines since that results is many many children. Also, always personally educate potential heirs, the AI is a fucking traitor when it comes to giving them a good education.

Marriage has exactly two purposes:

Breeding the Kwisatz Haderach repeatedly,

or getting good Claims.

EDIT: Also, "Education you want" is essentially code for "Brilliant Strategist"

Right now, roleplaying a normal royal marriage in ck2 means a very good chance of getting cuckholded by every lousy count with a dick and seduction focus on. Which in a large realm is probably several at any time, even after the latest patches. Every single patch since WoL DLC has tried dealing with it by slapping a new band-aid over it, but all it does is try to hide the fact that AI simply has no idea why it does something beyond "the RNG said I should". Seduce the emperor's wife when he can crush me like a bug? Let's do it! Empress / imperial princess opening her legs for every geriatric STD ridden count that asks her? Why not! Faced with shit like this I feel the only reasonable response is to game the shit out of the system.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Right now, roleplaying a normal royal marriage in ck2 means a very good chance of getting cuckholded by every lousy count with a dick and seduction focus on. Which in a large realm is probably several at any time, even after the latest patches. Every single patch since WoL DLC has tried dealing with it by slapping a new band-aid over it, but all it does is try to hide the fact that AI simply has no idea why it does something beyond "the RNG said I should". Seduce the emperor's wife when he can crush me like a bug? Let's do it! Empress / imperial princess opening her legs for every geriatric STD ridden count that asks her? Why not! Faced with shit like this I feel the only reasonable response is to game the shit out of the system.
Use my mod then. I made it specifically to fix this issue.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yes the Paradox Emperowed womyn now; My WRE emperor from WTWSMS had 3 wives and all cuck loaded him making him die a blind syphilitic... and I am quite sure not one of his children are his... :decline: Atleast He killed one of those fuckers in duel and imprisoned and castrated the rest before he died. :incline: Sweden; Sweden never changes.

Sorry, but I'm not really a fan of your solution. You are limiting access to a focus based on 2 traits, one of which can only be gained through the same focus, while the other can also be gained by education. And you are limiting this to both AI and player, right? So, unless I get lustful through education I can forget about using this focus myself. But the problem is not what the player can do with the focus, it's (and always has been) the stupid and pointless shit the AI does with it. And in a large enough realm there will still be a couple of lustful assholes that will pick it at any time and go on a rampage. All this does is make it somewhat rarer, but I think a better way to do the same would be just reducing the base chance of AI picking seduction (which is what I'm going to do the next time I play it).

Of course, ideally the entire current system should be scraped and seduction made a plot that can be discovered by the ruler of the court of the target. Only without people joining the plot - plot power for seduction should depend on age, prestige, traits and most importantly rank of seducer and target - a king seducing a counts daughter should be relatively easy, a count seducing a princess much, much harder. And if the plot is discovered a wide range of options is possible, depending on how powerful the seducer is compared to the ruler of the court, and if the ruler actually cares about the target of seduction at all: ignoring it, asking him to stop, blackmailing him, exposing him, asking a common liege to order him to stop, setting up a trap, just imprisoning him, sending the target in hiding. And most importantly make the AI understand these rules and not commit suicide by them. Seducing a lowborn courtier in your own court or even a court of a vassal should be relatively safe and this is what the AI should spend his time on. Going after someone in the family of a neighbour should be much rarer, and actually going after someone higher rarer still. AI should take seduction, bang a few lowborns, produce a few bastards, take a lover or two for later and then switch out. That's it, there shouldn't be a bloody line in front of the queens bedroom.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You are all so gamey it hurts my eyes. CK2 is best suited for role-play out of all Paradox games, why not go that route?
Au contraire, we are role-playing. It just so happens that many of us decided to play as the same historical figure:
machiavelli_the_prince_cover_zpsfxtjrucl.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't use Way of Life, problem solved.

Some of events added by way of life are brilliant like war games played with your generals or reading Caesar books to learn strategy and such :incline:; its the L1beral free love Sweden of 1960s sodomy which should be cut off; just give every seducer who will wet his willy into higher ordo womyn the tag of traitor we can execute or better yet castrate him banishing his arse from realm taking all his titles first without pears of realm outrage and I will be happy man.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You haven't even read any Machiavelli, haven't you?
I've read some excerpts of The Prince, like the importance of appearing virtuous and criticism of Louis XI, but I've got both The Prince and The Art of War on my reading list. I know that some scholars consider The Prince to be satirical since he favored republics as forms of government. That aside, my comment was made in jest.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Or he may just disable the Seduction alone by editing one line in a file and changing the AI change to choose it from 50% to 0%.

Which line and what file is this? Also I think deceitful trait works better than lustful and/or hedonist for seduction focus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom