Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Barbarian

Arcane
Worst of all is the devs whining on their forums all the time about how they regret using the title "Crusader Kings", how the game is "not about the crusades period" or whatever. At this point they have no idea of what the game is actually about, really.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think it's not that they want to change CK2 into EU: CK, but rather the lack of creativity and imagination to expand role-playing and management aspects (in DLCs of course), so they just add some map or playable factions and sell them for quick bucks. Unlike you guys I usually do like what they are doing, but I wish they finally came up with a DLC that adds more to role-playing aspect (Way of Life was a good idea, but execution sucks) and another one that makes management more complex and detailed.

But instead we will probably get another map expansion to China. It's fine, just not really worth a purchase until -50% sale.

The lack of CYOA elements is especially funny because it is so easy to implement. The only explanation I can think for it is that they consider that sort of DLC to be rather pointless when players implement so many alternatives in mods. It's still a rather cop-out explanation, though, they don't let that stop them in any other part of the game.

Barbarian

Arcane
Performance of the game right now is crappy even on high end computers and several of the game's main mechanics are either flawed or downright broken. It is crazy that they are still following through with their plans to simply add map expansions. China will completely break the game even with all the downright retarded "performance enhancement" they have been adding(no kidding, increased courtier mortality is one of the main ones).

I mean, adding a new map area and government form in the end is just a gimmick that gets old real fast. They should actualy develop the gameplay for the christians and muslins because that is the core of the game and nothing has been added to it in about 2 years.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp. I gave up Warhammer: Geheimnisnacht for now.

tumblr_static_dswiym1r5dcs44440cgowscks_640_v2.png

Playing as a Slaaneshi cultist basically turns the game into Progressive Kings 2: Sons of Liberuls. Next time I will play as a proper conservative Nurgle cultist, or a neocon Khorne follower.

Fun mod... but with some really popamole ideas. They should give up the New World and just turn dark elves into some kind of scripted raider/invasion. The map is too fuckin' big.
Also, adding 8-10 new genetic traits kills the joy of selecting breeding. It's not really fun when everybody is special.
Sometimes less is more.

Ok, who the hell thought giving nomads the CB that lets them subjugate an entire empire in a single war was a good idea? Old gods start, some 50 years in, ERE is doing fine, expanding in Armenia and Sicily. When suddenly, ERE has fallen, hello Crusades. The entire ERE was conquered by a muslim nomad. And he did it by winning one battle and sieging two fucking counties in Krim that are not even de jure ERE. And apparently that was enough for the emperor and the rest of his vassal to surrender the entire ERE to a muslim barbarian. Complete horse shit.

Andnjord

Arcane
Ok, who the hell thought giving nomads the CB that lets them subjugate an entire empire in a single war was a good idea? Old gods start, some 50 years in, ERE is doing fine, expanding in Armenia and Sicily. When suddenly, ERE has fallen, hello Crusades. The entire ERE was conquered by a muslim nomad. And he did it by winning one battle and sieging two fucking counties in Krim that are not even de jure ERE. And apparently that was enough for the emperor and the rest of his vassal to surrender the entire ERE to a muslim barbarian. Complete horse shit.
It always break my heart when I see the keys to Constantinople handed over when the Theodosian Walls are still untouched. But that's a general problem with CK2 anyway, and it doesn't look like they'll ever fix it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Mongol Invasion CB always had really wonky warscore calculations against empire tier titles (or large Kingdom titles). So that's more of a problem that's been around as long as empire tier titles could be targeted.

One reason why it'd be better for BE to be a titular title is to avoid it from being as easily targetable. Similarly, Constantinople probably should be a single county Duchy and Kingdom like Venice.

Luzur

Good Sir
NO MAD, BRO? Add the Horse Lords to your Crusader Kings II

A fellow on horseback tried to tell us that protective walls around our empires were overrated, but he struck us as a real Khan man.

Horse Lords, the newest expansion for everyone’s favorite dynamic dynasty diversion, is available now, and it adds all kinds of horsing around to the game!

Play as a nomad tribe and control the Silk Road – and try to defend your land from raiding parties! Honestly, those are the worst parties. Always BYOB (burn your own battlements).

4cc58161-ccc6-4bdd-8c3f-79bee6ae139d.png

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It always break my heart when I see the keys to Constantinople handed over when the Theodosian Walls are still untouched. But that's a general problem with CK2 anyway, and it doesn't look like they'll ever fix it.

In my current game it was a bit more realistic. The BE was doing ok, but then in 1100 a 30 stewardship leader with 0% decadence came to power in a realm spanning from India to Anatolia (excluding arabia, which was an other empire) and >100k troops conquered Constantinople and reduced the formerly mighty BE to a minor power in the balkans and the black sea, which even split up in half soon after.

rezaf

Cipher
What's it with the horse lords expansion anyway?
I hadn't played in a while, so I'm not sure it was only added with the HL DLC, but nomads have an extremely destructive effect on the map now. They capture huge areas and burn them down - literally, most of the time, by destroying all holdings in the regions, rendering them completely useless to everyone else.
Didn't the real aggressive nomads (this shit starts in 700AD now, a long time before Genghis Khan) famously make everyone pay tribute to them instead of leveling all cities from china to austria?
Has this practice been in the game longer or can I effectively disable it by disabling (or not installing) the HL DLC - like I can prevent the retarded aztec invasion by not owning the Sunset Invasion DLC?

Other than that, what discourages me the most is that they still haven't made a proper attempt at solving the main issue I have with the game since it's initial release - AI blobbing. Especially the muslims - usually the Abbassids - tend to consolidate into a gargantuan entity spanning from Spain to India, frequently with significant holdings across europe and occasionally up into scandinavia and/or the british isles.
Now there seem to also be Nomad blobs (Magyar in my current game) which - like I wrote above - obliterate the map - and despite having a dedicated expansion, their main mechanic is still that they get to spawn free uber-stacks?
Cmon...

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
So, is the new expansion at all playable yet? Doesn't sound like it. I can only concur with those who say that Paradox lost focus. So what we get now is just plain old-fashioned bullshit. But this thread has convinced me to boot up CK1 again just for old time's sake.

The game is also pretty much unplayable with Way of Life unless you disable sedecution and intrigue focuses, btw.

Well, you can play it without disabling it, but then your dinasty will be continued by bastards of the dozens of men who seduced your character's wife and any random vassal count will be able to play evil mastermind and imprison/castrate/assassinate everyone easily.

It's not as bad as it was in earlier versions. I remember trying it with the GoT mod, only to have Edmure and Catelyn Tully start an incestuous relationship, creating bastards. Well, to be fair, I guess that's not unique to that particular universe, but it still gave me a good laugh. Now, it doesn't seem to happen as much, but you still sometimes get PUA rulers going quite overboard with seduction.

I actually quite like the idea of "ways of life" to add a bit more meat to your characters' life stories. It does something similar the earlier "improve attribute" ambitions. But what's annoying is that it often seems disconnected to your character's actual attributes and traits and other existing mechanics. E.g. you don't have to be at all lustful to choose the seduction focus, and there are still random events to sleep with courtiers even if you don't have the focus. So it's just not consistent, and that's very unsatisfying.

The thing about CBs and conquests is bothersome as well, but I wonder if it will ever be possible to have a mechanic that realistically represents every possibility (just like it's difficult to accurately represent "feudalism" in all the lands in the game). Some great conquerors really did blob all over the world, while others had to play by the rules. In CK2, capturing the enemy ruler automatically gives you a 100% war score that allows you to enforce whatever you were demanding, but in real life, this didn't always work out. During the Wars of the Roses, Richard of York repeatedly captured Henry VI, and yet the nobility kept denying him the throne, and he had to settle for being Lord Protector and heir (besides, killing Henry would only have triggered the inheritance of Edward of Westminster). In CK2, he would have been able to seize the crown, and the response of the nobility to that would only depend on an abstract "opinion score". Realistically, grabbing a kingdom title in this fashion should trigger an instant rebellion by all the lords who fought for the previous king, and with their armies and holdings still untouched, the situation would be reversed quickly.

God damn fucking seduction. This shit is never going to be fixed until they shoot the current system in the head and replace it with something sensible so that:

a) seducing the wife of an heir to five kingdoms, having a bastard with her and then acknowledging said bastard is fucking treason
b) make it impossible to do a) unless the seducer has the stats, traits, rank and power to pull it off and not something any shitty one province count can do
c) make AI not even try a) unless he is so powerful he can laugh in the king's face or is just completely suicidal

At least if my heir was a ruler he could imprison the asshole if he caught him, but he was in my court with his wife, and courtiers have no protection at all against this try-until-you-succeed crap. AI is simply obnoxious with seduction focus, there are no women in my court without STDs or a bastard or two. There's just no stopping them.

Barbarian

Arcane
So, is the new expansion at all playable yet? Doesn't sound like it. I can only concur with those who say that Paradox lost focus. So what we get now is just plain old-fashioned bullshit. But this thread has convinced me to boot up CK1 again just for old time's sake.

Nope, nomads are way too overpowered. I have given up on the game and will no longer support Paradox from now on, hope they eventually learn their lesson and go bankrupt. Greedy imcompetent bastards. Must have spent nearly a hundred bucks on this shit over the last year and a half or so and it is still broken.

Also:

https://scontent-gru1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=6756f67406b3c15f09e0d65e762e3ebc&oe=5683A4CF

The latest patch allows every single female ruler to lead armies(ahistorical PC bullshit, aside from a small handful of notable examples it simply didn't happen). I don't want to be playing the game when they completely ruin what was once a perfectly nice historical strategy with even more SJW bullshit.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've got a couple more changes I want to gripe about. One of the last couple of patches removed the event that allowed the player to collect a tax or prestige when the ruler or heir got married (this event could be somewhat abused in elective monarchy). Previously, upon defeating an adventurer, the player would get his 500 gold, but now it just disappears.

Also, is anyone else annoyed at how similar the portrait border for a duke and count looks now?

You can still collect tax/prestige for heir or yourself getting married. Maybe they disabled it for some laws only (elective), or have limited the number of times you can do it (only once for a heir per ruler), but you can still do it.

The adventurer gold disappearing the day they surrender is some kind of bullshit, I agree. It was the only bright spot in dealing with them. Most of the time you can't assassinate them because plot system is so underwhelming (I think of assassins - if only I could do more than think about them) and will have to fight them. But since they've been nerfed down the AI doesn't really stand a chance and it's just tedious busy work. Only now for no reward.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
At least if my heir was a ruler he could imprison the asshole if he caught him, but he was in my court with his wife, and courtiers have no protection at all against this try-until-you-succeed crap. AI is simply obnoxious with seduction focus, there are no women in my court without STDs or a bastard or two. There's just no stopping them.

Sounds like modern politics right there.

You know what's one obvious addition that I'm surprised Paradox didn't make so far? Playable barons, because being a count is easy-mode.

Eh, counts end up as multidukes/kings within a generation or two with a player in charge anyway. I'm not sure being a baron changes it all that much. At most it'll add 1-2 generations to the time it takes you to become king. And the first generation is going to be really boring with you having a pitiful army (of course, you get the full levy of your barony, but still) and no influence to do or care much about what happens more than 1-2 counties over. I don't see starting as a baron adding anything much.

What I'd really like to see though is a more customizable version of the adventuring parties from Old Gods. Start the game with a chest of gold and a barbarian horde and carve out your own kingdom.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Guys, I need a bit of help here - I've been looking into buying DLC for the game, but I'm not sure which ones to get since, from what I've read here, some of those fuck the game up real bad.

In any case, I already have:
- Sword of Islam
- Legacy of Rome

I don't think I should get Sunset Invasion because the premise sounds ridiculous to me - but does it add anything to the game except Aztecs?

So, the remaining shit is:
- The Republic
- The Old Gods
- Sons of Abraham
- Rajas of India
- Charlemagne
- Way of Life
- Horse Lords

From what I've gathered, Horse Lords is bugged out completely and Way of Life is no better - on the other hand, I've tried the game with that add-on at my friend's, and it seemed okay. Not the Playboy Mansion DLC that I've heard about. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Smaller DLCs don't feel like they're worth the purchase. Or are they?

Thoughts and advices?

TripJack

Hedonist
they're all shit except sword of islam

they all either 1) add pointless shit that shouldn't be in a crusader kings game 2) add shit that makes an easy game even easier or 3) move the start date back a few hundred years so you can get bored and quit a few hundred years sooner

Barbarian

Arcane
I would reccomend you buying Sons of Abraham, that was a minor dlc that was actually pretty good and should be very cheap by now. Other than that pretty much what TripJack said. You don't really need to buy anything else unless you are planning on playing diferent government types than Feudal or Iqta. So if you want to play republics buy the republic dlc. Afaik all the dlcs add new events and some add new mechanics to all(i.e: Horse Lords adds the silk road), but they can hardly justify spending money on them. You should not buy Charlemagne for instance, only to have that shitty broken chronicle feature and some new events related to hero knights and etc. Buy the graphics and music dlcs if you are into that shit I guess.

I first bought the game in a bundle last year so I got all that was released back then, even shit I always kept disabled such as the dreaded Sunset Invasion. I then bought Charlemagne, Way of Life and Horse Lords all on release since then and let me tell you, in retrospect it was all a waste of money.

Barbarian

Arcane
Old Gods is also good if you like playing nordic pagansor if you play northern Christians. New start date is pretty boring though.

rezaf

Cipher
Some of the DLCs could be really cool if they'd bothered to actually think things through and properly implement stuff.
Like a decent Horse Lords expansion would have tweaked / added mechanics so spawning free stacks for nomads would no longer be neccessary, since the new mechanics automatically make them get their troops by way of following the rules of the game.

In CK1, it was impossible to play as a heathen ruler, because PDox of old understood their mechanics were an ill fit for muslims.
These days, you can play CK2 as muslims, vikings, steppe nomads, aztecs invading ireland, indian rajas, african tribes, merchant houses ... all with mostly the same ruleset best suited for a european christian king and his court of nobles.
And it all ends with some muslims blobbing into an empire from france to india which only falls once genghis khan shows up with a couple of hundred thousand horse warriors created from thin air and free from the tyranny of the games ruleset.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's probably easiest to just have a checklist of what the major mods require to play. Ie, most visual enhancement mods require just about all the graphics DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom