Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Guize, my Pagan Pimp King has absolute tribal org and I should be able to reform the faith after I finish my war for Uppsala. Should I go Feudal or Republic? Do pagan republics still get to raid with longboats?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Republic is definately better. 100% succession control, loadsa retinues, loadsa boats to raid with, loadsamonee, fancy hats. The real problem will be getting all your other bastard vassals to reform correctly.

So what mods are good for this? I'm gonna try the GoT mod at some point obviously. Any other mods that'd be good to add/try?
HIP is pretty much the only comprehensive and stable one, atm. Although, I kinda regret installing its VIET Events component, as they're mostly retarded and pointless. SWMH is nice for flavour of everything having proper names, but it disables Charlemagne start date: Old Gods is the earliest it allows. Everything else is peachy.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Behold the Demon of Brittany

03.jpg
Brittany and Leon?

:love:

Practically a mirror of my current game.

Delterius

Arcane
So, I decided to screw around with the Ruler Designer and I'm playing a jewish chief in tutorial island Ireland. Things were going pretty well, what with randomly getting a super jewish courtier every once in a while. Then, a few weird things happened.

A few years in and my liege got the Great Pox.

That was the same year his firstborn was revealed for the son of Satan.

Afterwards, the liege became a lunatic.

And they are all still going strong, pillaging their catholic neighbors with a great heathen army of their own.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If only 38 martial meant something.

It actually does.
You don't really want to take on a high martial liege with 10 fully upgraded levy building counties.
He can raise 20k of his own levy, not including vassals.

Once the +20 martial drops, I was reduced to just 12K.
While I do agree high martial liege isn't worth risking in open battles, I'd still want a high martial liege for the levy raise cap.
And when I had the -20 Diplomacy due to speaking in tongues, it never mattered a lot - except for instances where my mayors demand a tax break because factions don't revolt when your levy count is quadruple theirs not even including your retinue.

And they are all still going strong, pillaging their catholic neighbors with a great heathen army of their own.

If you don't go to war when you're in this state, you're probably going to get fucked over your vassal loyalty penalties due to possessed -20, spawn of satan -20 and assortments of other negative traits incited by lunacy.
Better to go all out and gift land to vassal while using the +20 Martial Bonus constantly to tip the balance to your side. Not to mention this is an opportunity to press Holy War claims all over your neighbor freely, something the AI can never do cause he had to rely on the fabricate game and they never broke truce. Ever.

In fact, the main reason why the Umayyad and Abbasids are so out of control is because they have the ability to wage war almost everywhere they wished. They never ran out of targets, they have big levies, and happy vassals due to piety bonus, Muslim traits and gifted lands. Decadence didn't do jack shit to stop the Umayyads from raising 40k levy in Empire of Hispania to stop ALMOST EVERY SINGLE REVOLT WHILE RAPING ALL OF SPAIN.

01.jpg

no hablo espanol

The whole Spain is Sunni now, Byzantine is lead by a 'Slow' 5 year old Basileus facing a Caliphate Jihad for Anatolia at 97% warscore lead by a 6 year old Caliph.

05.jpg

This isn't anyone's fault btw, it's just that Paradox made Muslims too damn EZ mode for the AI now for the other beliefs to compete.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

If you don't go to war when you're in this state, you're probably going to get fucked over your vassal loyalty penalties due to possessed -20, spawn of satan -20 and assortments of other negative traits incited by lunacy.
Better to go all out and gift land to vassal while using the +20 Martial Bonus constantly to tip the balance to your side. Not to mention this is an opportunity to press Holy War claims all over your neighbor freely, something the AI can never do cause he had to rely on the fabricate game and they never broke truce. Ever.

Tell me about it. Dude rose to the throne with every single capital sin, plut cruelty and arbitrary.

There's one small detail though, first the satan army event triggered and I have 1000 free event troops.

Second, whenever Jesus is advising the chief he tallies to 50 martial skill.

Everyone fucking hates me, but they won't dare rebel.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, muslim base levies seem to be so huge that no amount of Decadence will lower them too much. Decadence itself is also trivial to lower, even for the AI. The only way I have ever broken down Abbasids was back when Ninja Assassin Corps could still be used to decimate the entire caliph bloodline until the point you have someone who everyone hates and sucks so hard they can't win the massive revolt.

Also, I don't recall, but don't Muslims get both Prestige and Piety bonus to relations?

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't think so. IIRC everyone who is your direct vassal can partake in factions against you, and only you. You yourself can join factions against your direct liege. It's like a big pyramid of unfortunate accidents.

RK47

Patron
Yea, muslim base levies seem to be so huge that no amount of Decadence will lower them too much. Decadence itself is also trivial to lower, even for the AI. The only way I have ever broken down Abbasids was back when Ninja Assassin Corps could still be used to decimate the entire caliph bloodline until the point you have someone who everyone hates and sucks so hard they can't win the massive revolt.

Also, I don't recall, but don't Muslims get both Prestige and Piety bonus to relations?

Piety yes, Prestige yes, on top of that, Muslim traits also gives them + Opinions.
Which is huge.

RK47

Patron
The year is 1058 -
08.jpg

It's time. Renounced Fraticelli, cease hostilities with Rome. Holy Orders were established throughout the land.
We march for Aquitane.

09.jpg

For once the entirety of Western Europe unites for a common cause.

10.jpg

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So I haven't played this game in about 9 months and I bought the Charlemange DLC at 75% off and decided to start over playing the man himself. The problem I had is that I really didn't know where to start. Set ambition to get married because it seemed the easiest to do and I can create a bunch of titles once I have the cash. Do I try to take out my brother and take all of France? Do I try to build up some stuff. I just felt lost since I haven't played in so long. Any suggestions on what I should set my short term goals to be to get my going again?

RK47

Patron
So I haven't played this game in about 9 months and I bought the Charlemange DLC at 75% off and decided to start over playing the man himself. The problem I had is that I really didn't know where to start. Set ambition to get married because it seemed the easiest to do and I can create a bunch of titles once I have the cash. Do I try to take out my brother and take all of France? Do I try to build up some stuff. I just felt lost since I haven't played in so long. Any suggestions on what I should set my short term goals to be to get my going again?

If you bought Charmander DLC, you should try Charmander start.
Honestly, the selling point of that DLC is Charmander, so you shd definitely try his 'CYOA' gameplay.
I didn't care enough to buy it.

Also, victory against the Muslim hordes. A first in 200 years.

12.jpg

But the good news was predated by terrible news to the east...

11.jpg

Yeah, Byzantines held for like 20 years before Anatolia fell. Good work.

13.jpg

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

One thing that would go a long time to fix the muslim blobbing besides taking their relations bonuses down a peg is to limit when and WHERE they can use Holy War and Jihad CB, if at all (basically to provide them with natural direction). Caliph himself at least should have no access to regular CBs, only Jihads they call for and claim pressing. They really need to provide better systems for pagans converting to organized religions than emergency conversion. The whole missionary thing doesn't seem to work particularly well right now.

Piety yes, Prestige yes, on top of that, Muslim traits also gives them + Opinions.
Which is huge.
Namely, fucking Sayyid. The only trait that I consider even worse when it comes to hampering unbridled destruction and mayhem that makes for a fun and dynamic campaign is Born In Purple, since that shit doesn't even need an unbroken paternal bloodline.

Delterius

Arcane
Are wars ever forced to end? Because I'm considering never peacing out with my enemy and swarming the world with raiding parties via the Form Tribal Army Decision.

RK47

Patron
I recall there was one time a stupid Muslim kingdom declared war to me in another game and he had no realistic chance of winning it, so I kept it up for the vassal opinion bonus 'Fighting Infidels'
It lasted 50 years I think cause he kept surrendering but I'd reject. :smug:

Delterius

Arcane
This is really exploiteable. I started declaring non stop Holy Wars on everyone and using all the prestige from sacking and winning to call another tribe army. That way, event troops never disbanded. To foot the bill, all I had to do was create a few vassal merchant republics and demand small feudal tax instead of levies. I topped at 30K soldiers invading the France.

RK47

Patron
This is really exploiteable. I started declaring non stop Holy Wars on everyone and using all the prestige from sacking and winning to call another tribe army. That way, event troops never disbanded. To foot the bill, all I had to do was create a few vassal merchant republics and demand small feudal tax instead of levies. I topped at 30K soldiers invading the France.

'It's not broken till you exploit it' - Paradox

RK47

Patron
When you see things like this...

14.jpg

Yeah, you kinda want to just abuse the fuck out of the game.
That Alliance spans like one corner of the map to another.
It'd take the entire Europe to just beat one stack.
I kinda want to help, but what's in it for me?

cw8

Cipher
I assume Holy Orders aren't up yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom