Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
He can curry all he wants as long as he provides us with that long sought all inclusive portrait mod. :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is it worth investing money in all the little town upgrades to get more troops, or should one just amass wealth for something else, like mercs?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wealth wealth wealth. The town actually starts updating stuff on its own too if it has enough income, I think.

Borelli

Arcane
Now all rulers of duke rank and above generate technology points in three categories based on their stats: martial gives military, stewardship gives economic and diplomacy gives cultural technology points. The ruler can then spend these to increase the technologies of their choosing in their capital. In addition to the stats, combat gives military points, universities give economy points and religious schools cultural points.
So many dukes research faster than 1 super duke?
The horse lords of the Altaic and Magyar peoples will also have access to two special buildings in any castles they own in a Steppe province. This is a new terrain type that now covers most of the Eastern European plains.
Does CK currently have terrain specific buildings? If not then this is a great addition for modders.

Vaarna_Aarne

No terrain specific buildings yet as far as I know. And agreed, this is great (and I'm surprised they gave something to non-vikings).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wait, how do people invest in their own lands? I find owning all the little baronies in a county or two allows me to have more soldiers than giving it out to a vassal...

Vaarna_Aarne

Wait, how do people invest in their own lands? I find owning all the little baronies in a county or two allows me to have more soldiers than giving it out to a vassal...
It's quite simple: Having more counties = more holdings directly under your umbrella = more money for retinues and mercs = more funding for unfortunate accidents = firmer footing = more claims = not having gimped towns/churches.

There's absolutely no benefit in keeping your towns and churches to yourself, and additional castles are just as questionable.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wait, those seem like contradictory statements. Are you saying let the cities/churches go, but hold onto the counties primary castle?

Vaarna_Aarne

Wait, those seem like contradictory statements. Are you saying let the cities/churches go, but hold onto the counties primary castle?
Yes, you only want the primary castle in each county. The more baronies you have as direct vassals, the better.

Hazey

Novice
If you're a feudal lord (Count, Duke, King, Emperor) you want only baronies (castles) under your direct control (and most of the time only the province capital, depending how close you are to demesne limit). If you're a republic leader (forget the titles) you want towns/cities instead.

Vaarna_Aarne

Vassal =/= control. A barony level title is all the titles inside a county (castle, church or town) that aren't the top title. You want none of those titles, they reduce the maximum area you can have underneath you (as you will eventually have to give away barony level towns/churches/castles you've got as vassals outside of your personal demesne, in order to soothe bribe vassals there).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There's no point in holding anything but castles and baronies as a feudal lord. Non-castles suffer from penalty that turns them into shit. Plus, you get full income from castles only. Pre-TOG there was a reason to hold unto cities and churches in your county for tech bonus, but in TOG it seems you could create an ubercounty with 5 castles that'll give you shitload of income and huge army.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry, I should clarify. In a county, given that most of your direct vassals will already be counts/dukes/kings, is it worth it to construct castles in a county at all? Or should one go for the town/church?

The choice is: army or income. Castles are army, towns are income. Churches not worth it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Sorry, I should clarify. In a county, given that most of your direct vassals will already be counts/dukes/kings, is it worth it to construct castles in a county at all? Or should one go for the town/church?

The choice is: army or income. Castles are army, towns are income. Churches not worth it.
Yea, the pope is a fickle asshole.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Rule of the thumb - your demense size. If you have spare demense size - go castles. Otherwise - better go towns. Build churches only if you are orthodox or in urgent need of piety.
Castles give you full tax, cities provide only part of it, depending on tax level, plus, one mayor vassal, who can side with enemies, have shit relationships, and thus hog your money.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yea, the pope is a fickle asshole.

I meant it more like there is enough churches anyway on the map so you dont need to build more to set up some nice archbishoprics instead duchies as your vassals. Having to compete with popes doesnt help either, granted free investiture is nice to have for this.

Hazey

Novice

Almost always best to build a town. The additional troops of a castle are usually more than made up for by the increase in money of a town. Especially when you're smaller, a lot of your wars are won with mercs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom