Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Christmas is a time for Mirth

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Minions of Mirth; Prairie Games

<a href="http://www.prairiegames.com">Prairie Games</a> has released <b>Minions of Mirth</b> just in time for the Christmas season. Here's the release:
<br>
<blockquote><b>PRAIRIE GAMES, INC RELEASES GROUNDBREAKING ROLE-PLAYING GAME: MINIONS OF MIRTH
<br>
<br>
Wishek, North Dakota - December 15th, 2005 - Prairie Games, Inc</b> today announced that it's groundbreaking role-playing game Minions of Mirth has been released for Windows and OSX.
<br>
<br>
"Minions of Mirth gives the player an incredible amount of freedom in their role-playing experience! It can be played in single player, multiplayer, and even allows friends to run their own custom persistent worlds! We're very pleased to be releasing this amazing product. We've worked very hard with our community to make sure Minions of Mirth totally rocks!", says Josh Ritter co-owner and programmer of the title.
<br>
<br>
Minions of Mirth is available for Windows and OSX at <a href="http://www.prairiegames.com">http://www.prairiegames.com</a> for the special price of <b>$25 through January 31st, 2006</b>. The full price of the game will be <b>$29.95</b> and there are no monthly service fees. Prairie Games, Inc hosts the complimentary PrairieWorld server and there are also community hosted worlds to play on. Minions of Mirth is also fully playable in single player with no internet connection.
<br>
<br>
<b>Minions of Mirth Features:</b>
<br>
<br>
* Auto-patcher that delivers immediate content and feature upgrades
<br>
* Full single player support
<br>
* Player vs Environment and Player vs Player multiplayer
<br>
* No monthly service fees for multiplayer
<br>
* Form your own party of up to 6 characters. Join other players in online alliances with up to 36 characters
<br>
* 16 playable classes, 12 playable races, Multiclass characters in three careers up to level 100
<br>
* 3 playable realms: Fellowship of Light, Minions of Darkness, and the Monster Realm
<br>
* 14 huge and diverse zones to explore
<br>
* Unlock monster templates to create your own stable of monsters
<br>
* Epic Battle System
<br>
* A tremendous amount of unique NPC, creatures, items, and quests
<br>
* 2 hours of original music
<br>
* Free dedicated world server with source code is available. Host your own persistent world with your own original content
<br>
<br>
Players are encouraged to visit <a href="http://www.prairiegames.com">http://www.prairiegames.com</a> to get all the latest news, game information, and to download the free demo!
<br>
<br>
<b>About Prairie Games, Inc</b>:
<br>
Prairie Games, Inc is an independent game company dedicated to creating fresh and innovative role-playing games and technology. The company has offices in Wishek, North Dakota and Los Angeles, California. Minions of Mirth, it's debut title, is now available on Windows and OSX. The company's website is: <a href="http://www.prairiegames.com">http://www.prairiegames.com</a> </blockquote>
<br>
I like the auto-patcher being the first feature. I love auto-patchers.
<br>

HardCode

Erudite
"Epic ... groundbreaking ... tremendous ... incredible ..."

If games had as much RPG as they have adjectives, we would have nothing to worry about.

I get concerned when of the first 4 points some are about patching, stressed single player, and no fees. That is what they have to tout their game about?

This basically sounds like Olbivion-on-line.

Section8

Cipher
I played a bit of the demo a while back, and while it's a very impressive effort, given the small dev team (mainly one guy, or so I've heard), I really didn't like the basic premise. It was built on the typical Everquest/DAOC MMOG model, except you had a whole party to control, and it could be played offline. Unfortunately, the only thing that redeems that particular style of gameplay is the social aspect.

AnalogKid

Scholar
* Epic Battle System
What the fuck's an Epic Battle System?

I can understand epic Battles, even if I couldn't define them, but that must be the best goddamn system every invented!

Maybe Everquest had an Epic Level Grinding System?

Rune_74

Novice
hmmm give it a try

I think if you give it a try you might be surprised

lots of creativity in it...and for a site that always likes to support the little guy I'm a little dismayed with the posts here.

The really neat thing is if you see something missing its fully modable so you can add to it and help.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Re: hmmm give it a try

Rune_74 said:
I think if you give it a try you might be surprised.
I like your comment in the other thread about Bard's Tale + M&M, that definitely makes me interested. I also like the talking point at your website about being able to equip your pets, that's very cool.

My big question is: What's the SP campaign like? Does it have an "Epic" story? ;) All the multi-player stuff does nothing for me because I much prefer my multi player gaming to be face-to-face to remove the "anonymous asshole" factor.

There seems to be some info on technical features and such, but I've seen nothing about the SP GAME. Is there decent dialog? Choice consequences? Opportunities for different play styles? Single-main-story + sidequests, or more non-linear-main-story? Sanboxish at all? I think these are the kinds of things that the 'codex most cares about (not that I speak for anyone but myself, I'm just going on past history), and since you've released almost no information about them, that might be why there hasn't been a huge amount of supportive posting.

Rune_74

Novice
Hey

Ok there is a single player campaign for both good and evil characters...as well as quiet a few side quests...

alot of quests are being added by players as well as the devs....there are only three devs and alot of players that love the game...

I think with multiplayer you will be surprised I have yet to run into any jerks yet...as a matter of fact you don't see alot of people around but I guess that could change.

The feature about downloadable updates will include new stuff by some player groups like a few of us have made a couple dungeons already that aren't even in the game yet....and we have four more we are making with a large overall quest for it..

Also, the comunity would love to welcome anyone who knows python or has some great scripting skills...or mapping or whatever...we are pretty friendly...

btw I'm only a player and I like it this much go figure:p

Rune

oh and the epic battle system....although I have yet to get to one...is basically a large battle with npcs and monsters that you are part of....at least thats what I think it is....I could be wrong:P

Rune_74

Novice
ok...

But you don't have to play online...

I play offline lots....in order to use the global chat you need to be online...but the singleplayer is playable offline...

Rune

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In single player the game locks up on me every couple minutes. Why is there lag in a solo player game? Decide to take the EQ simulation to the extreme?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Hmmm, good vibes in this thread, but the empty rooms in the video reminded me unpelasantly of Dungeon Lords. Is someone ready with a little review?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I played it for a bit, didn't like the combat and empty world (especially in singleplayer). Graphics and music are nice, I guess.

Didn't really see anything outstanding or worth $30 though.

So why not go and buy Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic instead and play online with me and pat and all the other cool dudes from TC, eh? Eh eh? Ahhh...

obediah

Erudite
I bought it. I should have a few minutes to actually play it starting next week. I give my presentation for my masters degree on Friday, and vacation doesn't roll over at work so I have a few weeks off coming up. :)

Shock

Novice
Josh's only mistake was advertising at this asshole-filled site. All you guys do is crack on every game that comes out. Maybe you should stop hanging out on messageboards all day and go get a job so you can afford some self esteem. Dicks. :twisted:

yoda-stfu.jpg

Shock

Novice
GhanBuriGhan said:
Hmmm, good vibes in this thread, but the empty rooms in the video reminded me unpelasantly of Dungeon Lords. Is someone ready with a little review?

Dude, anything is better than Dung Lords. You've heard they are now coming out with a Collector's Edition of that game, right? That game was crap and had a design team of about 36+ people.

Mirth has a design team of 3 people plus public support and it's still better than the drek they call Dungeon Lords. What more do you want from independent designers and no monthly fee? Gold coins to shoot out your CDROM? Give the independent people a break.

Shock

Novice
AnalogKid said:
* Epic Battle System
What the fuck's an Epic Battle System?

I can understand epic Battles, even if I couldn't define them, but that must be the best goddamn system every invented!

Maybe Everquest had an Epic Level Grinding System?

I don't know. Log on and get an Epic Ass Kicking...free of charge, asshole.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Okay, does the demo allow you to "mix it up" with owners/players of the full game?

I just dloaded it and intend to give it a whirl in the near future.

(Played a little of the beta a while back)

Edit: could be kewl to get a few codexers together for group rape n pillage sometime, y'know?

Shock

Novice
It looks like there is a Demo server and a Full Game server. You get on the Full server when you pay for the game. As I understand it, the full server is autoupdated with content on a near daily basis.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Shock said:
Josh's only mistake was advertising at this asshole-filled site. All you guys do is crack on every game that comes out. Maybe you should stop hanging out on messageboards all day and go get a job so you can afford some self esteem. Dicks. :twisted:

I see you're not into the whole PR/marketing thing.

But of course not, that would involve reading. Which is obviously not your strong point.

Let the grown-ups decide whether they like the game or not. Some of us will not like the style of the game and say "no" purely because of that. Some of us will just not like the game because they don't like the interface/graphics/dialogue etc etc. And some of us will purchase the game because we feel that Josh and Lara have done a sterling job and deserve as much credit as we can heap upon them.

Now fuck off back to whichever hole you crawled out from.

@shaggy - not sure to be honest mate. The game is excellent in MP though. And I think that with the open approach the devs are taking, there is a lot of room for modding this game to a fine SP game too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom