Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone talks about life as a freelancer at Reboot Develop 2016

Fairfax

Arcane
Is that of ANY surpsise to anyone who play's their games? lol
Yes. It seemed like it was the case in FO3, but I think they've abandoned the wiki. A 10 second search would've prevented their pre-war Jet bullshit in FO4.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is that of ANY surpsise to anyone who play's their games? lol
Yes. It seemed like it was the case in FO3, but I think they've abandoned the wiki. A 10 second search would've prevented their pre-war Jet bullshit in FO4.

I'm pretty sure FO3 also has "pre-War Jet". People just re-noticed it in FO4.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"So more what I want is to get involved in companies that have all that set up, and I can just get involved in just a creative capacity."

here's his cry for help.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
When is he gonna admit he was fired because he got into a physical fight with another Obsidian employee?
I'd pay good money to see that. Just imagine it: Avellone the Exiled vs. Josh the Balancemaster wrestling match. :lol:

I don't believe he will be ever given his own game to make again. Unless Fargo does something crazy.
What do you base this assumption on?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
He let what would be a good clue to an actual physical confrontation when he said something along the lines 'to look for that red and purple t-shirt if you wanted to find out why he quit'.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
He let what would be a good clue to an actual physical confrontation when he said something along the lines 'to look for that red and purple t-shirt if you wanted to find out why he quit'.

Like anyone at Obsidian (and beyond) would risk a physical confrontation with Avellone.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Who'd win a Sawyer vs. MCA deathmatch? :lol:

Josh has reach and vegan farts, but Chris is like one of those pretend-nice squirrels from Happy Tree Friends.

hpstg

Savant
When is he gonna admit he was fired because he got into a physical fight with another Obsidian employee?
I'd pay good money to see that. Just imagine it: Avellone the Exiled vs. Josh the Balancemaster wrestling match. :lol:

I don't believe he will be ever given his own game to make again. Unless Fargo does something crazy.
What do you base this assumption on?
He wanted to escape responsibility and focus exclusively on writing. You can't trust a person like that to run expensive endeavors like games, you trust people like Sawyer with that, who will ideally manage input from people like Avellone. I don't believe that Avellone himself would want the weight of a whole game on him any more. It's not just the writing involved.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
If it was that he would have just stated it directly in the first place instead of acting like there's another reason to his sudden resignation. Sudden resignations are usually caused by incidents and you don't just leave a company you founded unceremoniously unless you're being pushed out of it. There's an awful lot of cases of 'we would prefer not to fire you, so please resign' cases in the work industry at large.

He was doing next to no work at the end. 'creative supervisor' sounds like an artificial position you give someone who founded the business with you but can't keep up with the pace at all.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
If it was that he would have just stated it directly in the first place instead of acting like there's another reason to his sudden resignation. Sudden resignations are usually caused by incidents and you don't just leave a company you founded unceremoniously unless you're being pushed out of it. There's an awful lot of cases of 'we would prefer not to fire you, so please resign' cases in the work industry at large.

He was doing next to no work at the end. 'creative supervisor' sounds like an artificial position you give someone who founded the business with you but can't keep up with the pace at all.

I think Avellone is too much of a loose canon to be given his own project anymore, wildly creative, eccentric types like him are just not a good fit for today's extremely risk averse gaming industry. Sure, everyone wants to use him as an RPG mascot, hire him for "creative feedback" or to write a character, design an area or a quest here and there for their otherwise utterly bland and mediocre game but that's about it. He became a sort of an advertising prop.

I could be wrong of course, maybe he doesn't want the burden of leadership anymore and is happy doing bits and pieces in other people's games. All I know for certain is that I'd really love to play another full-fledged Avellone game instead of the ones where his influence is barely felt.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
you trust people like Sawyer with that, who will ideally manage input from people like Avellone
For all of Sawyer's managerial abilities, he has one fatal flaw - he thinks he himself is a content creator, and meddles in a process he's entirely unsuited for. You can see it with PoE. It's a bland, soulless excrement of a game (disregarding for a moment its many other mechanical flaws), and Sawyer's partly to blame. Ideally, you'd have someone like MCA handling creative, and Saywer doing management. Instead, we got the opposite.

I don't believe that Avellone himself would want the weight of a whole game on him any more. It's not just the writing involved.
Fair enough. Man's entitled to his opinion and choices.

There's probably truth in this. Who knows WTF happened at Obsidian. But MCA's subtle jabs at the company and its employees, and the fact that he doesn't follow anyone except Carrie Patel on Twitter, hint at anything but an amicable resolution.

He became a sort of an advertising prop.
So sad. All that potential, wasted.:negative:

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
That vegan faggot probably has trouble lifting his 5lbs. bags of tofu. Meanwhile, MCA looks like he curls hundreds and eats the discarded placenta of local homeless women. Dat dere celltech and shiiieeeet.

hpstg

Savant

Wait, so his resignation was sudden and unexpected, while he wasn't doing anything in the studio anyways. Aha.
IYoLVUZ.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I've got another idea: Grimoire has only 1.2 micro-issues left and most of it is content creation (side-quests). Who wouldn't want to get on that bandwagon?

Of course, payment would have to be in post-apoc food rations and super-seecret gym workout tips.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.

Wait, so his resignation was sudden and unexpected, while he wasn't doing anything in the studio anyways. Aha.
IYoLVUZ.jpg

Have you worked a single day in your life?

hpstg

Savant

IYoLVUZ.jpg

Have you worked a single day in your life?
Now I wonder if you have. If you do, you deserve your Codex title.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
A company founder in an active position announces a well planned retirement months in advance. Queues farewell parties and internal/external reporting especially from a company like Obsidian. A company founder also typically has shares and other ties to the business than the desk job he held there, this is very uncommon for a founder to abruptly break all ties in this fashion, even if they want to 'experience new horizons'.
A sudden and abrupt departure is what we're used to seeing in high profile media cases after a blunder, think Firefox founder for example. We know for a fact Avellone was not on friendly terms with some Obsidian high rankers. And he still refuses to declare the specific reason behind his departure, even if it was just a drop in a glass already filled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom