Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chris Avellone joins Larian on Divinity: Original Sin 2

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Just spotted this on IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...riginal-sin-2?abthid=5605553a2456a5f85b000004

DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN II / 25 SEP 2015
FALLOUT 2, PILLARS OF ETERNITY GAME DESIGNER JOINS DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN 2
From Obsidian to Larian.
BY MATT PORTER Larian Studios has announced that Chris Avellone has been brought on as a contributor to Divinity: Original Sin II.

Avellone left Obsidian Entertainment in June to "pursue new projects," and will now be working on the upcoming RPG sequel. He has previously worked on the likes of Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, and Pillars of Eternity.

Larian Studios creative director Swen Vincke said "it’s a real honor to have one of the masters on board to help us improve our narrative and characters—I honestly can’t wait to get started."

"This is the first time I think the community is responsible for bringing two developers together who might not have crossed paths, and especially for such a great project," said Chris Avellone. "I met Swen at PAX Prime, talked about RPGs for hours, and at the end, it was clear we were on the same page."

Divinity: Original Sin II was announced in August, and its Kickstarter campaign was funded in less than 12 hours.
Well, now we know at least one thing he left Obsidian for.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
aaac0c3930bacc253bf3a72b87db5900_original.jpg

Looks like his forehead has gained a few levels.

Holy shit - MCA working with Larian?

It's like that thing you get at the 2/3 mark of an actiony tv series (or King Lear, for that matter) where, after spending the first 2/3 being scattered and picked off by the decline, the remaining good guys finally group up and start the glorious resistance!

Epsilon

Cipher
It's only guaranteed to be one origin story. Even if it's the best story in the entire game, it's unlikely to raise the rest of the game if the mainstory is shit. Here's hoping he does more than the one thing though!

poetic codex

Augur
Isn't there a stylistic clash? People love to praise Avellone for his deep writing, yet the tone of all Larian games is decidedly of the tongue-in-cheek, self-referential variety of humor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't there a stylistic clash? People love to praise Avellone for his deep writing, yet the tone of all Larian games is decidedly of the tongue-in-cheek, self-referential variety of humor.

This meme is weird to me. Okay, it's likely that most people haven't played New Vegas DLC but then there's

f56mns.png

o89guh.png

vrwtjo.png

14xdpoz.png

zno2hc.png

9911.jpg

9912.jpg

9913.jpg

Feel free to link to this post whenever anyone asks "Why would they want Avellone for a comedy game????"

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I thought I read that DOS2 will take a more serious tone and Swen has acknowledged that they are perhaps ready to grow up from a writing perspective.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A more serious tone doesn't mean "angsty teen "poetry"" though. They can have comedic elements, they should just be set up properly to avoid sudden mood shifts. PS:T and Fallout managed to be serious narratives, but also have some comic relief when it's appropriate. It all depends on the idea, context, style of writing, development, character arcs etc. Dark humor may also be employed to good effect. It really depends on the skill of the author.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just to be clear - D:OS1's writing was cringe-worthy. It definitely isn't an example of how to do comedy (since that was its goal) or storytelling in general. The cheeses bit was the least of its problems :p It was memorable however, so take your pick.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I found the comedy parts quite charming. Humor is subjective.

They *were* charming, I'm not denying that. My point is generally that it had sudden mood shifts from something else to comedy. That, coupled with pacing being bad, relegated the humor to the "random" variety which isn't very high brow no matter how you look at it :obviously:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom