Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interviewed By Gameinformer, Discusses Obsidian Departure

The Goe Goes

Novice
Love Avellone, despite his also lovely nonsensical modesty(bad habits=creating some of the most decent companions ever, ok), but seriously, coffee coke and monster? Does he have a liver like the rest of humanity, or did he call it Dak'kon? "When we die, Dak'kon, it shall be the same death. It shall be the Pronouncement of Two Deaths As One."

cruelio

Augur
Not it was not sarcasm, and yes they kinda were caricatures in a way, but with a totally different vibe. Way more "dark, gritty and mature™" than D:OS, with deeper, way more serious undertones.

D:OS was an outlier. Look up Dragon Commander's cinematic dialogues.

I still think it's incredible they made an rpg with good gameplay and absolutely terrible dialogue and story and a strategy game with bad gameplay and great dialogue and story.

Fairfax

Arcane
Not it was not sarcasm, and yes they kinda were caricatures in a way, but with a totally different vibe. Way more "dark, gritty and mature™" than D:OS, with deeper, way more serious undertones.

I still think it's incredible they made an rpg with good gameplay and absolutely terrible dialogue and story and a strategy game with bad gameplay and great dialogue and story.
That's what shocked me about D:OS when I played it for he first time. The writing was nothing like dragon commander. That tone and humor could be a great opportunity for some crazy MCA stuff like OWB.

mvBarracuda

Augur
I kind of like the phrasing of the first question, I reckon the choice of words might not be entirely coincindental. Pardon my ignorance, but is he member of codex?
Yes he is :)

You prolly missed all the fun when the Codex found out about his accout he used here ...

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter

That's what shocked me about D:OS when I played it for he first time. The writing was nothing like dragon commander. That tone and humor could be a great opportunity for some crazy MCA stuff like OWB.

D:OS had another writer, the wink girl Bubbles interviewed. I'm not sure we can put the all the blame on the game's bad writing on her, or just that the writer from Dragon Commander was not at the top of his game anymore.

Hegel

Arcane
Still better than PoE. (I haven't played D:OS and I haven't progressed past Rodric's Castle in Kill the xaurip)

Fairfax

Arcane
Raedric's Hold is one of the best parts of the game. If you don't like that, don't get your hopes up for the rest of it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not sure we can put the all the blame on the game's bad writing on her, or just that the writer from Dragon Commander was not at the top of his game anymore.

I think she became a writer on D:OS only after the main game was complete and released and she wrote some new additional characters which were introduced by patches later on. D:OS was mostly written by one guy, don't remember his name. He is good but was too overworked to write anything more than average for this game.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
The same guy who wrote Dragon Commander. Strange how the writing is so different in those games (good in Dragon Commander/bad in D:OS).

Raedric's Hold is one of the best parts of the game. If you don't like that, don't get your hopes up for the rest of it.

Not true, Caed Nua, Defiance Bay and Twin Elms have some more of the great writing in the game too. You should try at least Caed Nua since it's right next to Raedric's Hold. If you don't like the Watcher stuff, don't bother, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

D:OS had another writer, the wink girl Bubbles interviewed. I'm not sure we can put the all the blame on the game's bad writing on her, or just that the writer from Dragon Commander was not at the top of his game anymore.
It's Swen's fault http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-discussion-thread.101891/page-3#post-4068583

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Well, that settles it. Never let Swen near the writers.

if you bought the game for its story, well, the joke's on you

This fucking guy. If I wanted to play an RPG with shit story, I'd just play a combat simulator.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, that settles it. Never let Swen near the writers.

Bad news, he's the creative director, and unlike Obsidian, that title actually has meaning at his company.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom