Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Developer
Chris Avellone hey bro, could you weigh in on the Baldur's Gate 3 discussion above? Were you thinking about Obsidian's BG3 when you wrote "Interplay version" in that tweet, or are there other versions of BG3 that are/were in development?

I think there's been a bunch of pitches from different quarters. A lot of developers wanted/want to do a BG3 (for the record, I'm not involved with any of them).

Bit surprised that Chris would be able to handle Nintendo Hard games. I wouldn't.

I didn't say I was any good at playing these, trust me. It's a ludicrous display of gaming.

laclongquan

Arcane
https://pc-igre.info/intervju-sa-chris-avellone-om/

I don’t usually have article in English, but since this can be interesting for people that don’t understand Serbian, I will leave original Chis Avellone answers:
  1. Do you have favorite character that you created?
Chris Avellone: I like them all for different reasons, it’d be hard to choose just one. I did enjoy writing Fall-From-Grace in Planescape: Torment because the idea of a puritan succubus who was wise, polite, and genuinely a nice person was a fun challenge.

Precisely why I like Grace. A chaste succubus would be awfully twisted inside if not for the fact that Abyssal Succubus is twisted in the first place. So double twisted turn her into straight forward maidenly? Yeah, why I like her.

Developer
Chris Avellone what do you think about Darkest Dungeon, in particular its epic Narrator and his quotes?

I wish I could hire the narrator as my therapist.

I enjoyed it (150+ hours), loved the Leper and Abomination classes - although Man At Arms, Highwayman, and Grave Robber were the most often in my party - the first two because of counterattack abilities.

But I installed Crimson Court too early and got burned out on the new round of debuffing/affliction management. I may go back to it, but not any time soon.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Did you know the narrator, before Darkest Dungeon, recorded some stories? Typically those by H.P. Lovecraft. You could track those down. Should make some nice falling asleep literature.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm always surprised and somewhat suspicious when normies talk about these old games with fondness, considering how difficult they were. People talk about how challenging games like Dark Souls are when they basically have no death penalty, when in comparison these old 8-bit games required you to beat them in a single sitting and losing all of your lives meant a complete reset. I played Super Mario Land on the gameboy for countless hours as a kid and never finished it; got to the final area and boss a few times but inevitably died and then it was all the way back to the beginning.

Part of the enjoyment was having the game beat you.

I recall about the last time I played Mario 3 as a kid I had an awesome run, chalked up a ton of lives, then blew them all on one of the last levels in the game that I'd never gotten to before that was brutal.

Ghouls and Goblins was another my friends and I loved. It was too brutal for any of us to want to waste a birthday present on, so we'd occasionally rent it and have a mix of enjoyment from progressing a little bit further that time if we could while respecting it as a merciless game.

Battletoads too, which one of us owned. We'd play it for the short amount of beat em up fun and a chance to see if we could always get by the first bike level. If we did it suddenly got serious with everyone glued to the screen wanting to see if we could get to a hiher level and see newer stuff.

Keep in mind, kids play to dick around and have fun, why FFVIIs minigames were so beloved, not to be completetionists, but if you happened to get a little bit farther in a tough game it was some icing on the cake.

Everquest was like tha too in it's own way, in that if you weren't a goo enough players or socially skilled to work yourself into a top tier guild you didn't see shit or get good items. Even being in a 2nd or 3rd tier guild had your guild waiting until the top one on the server was done with content and moved onto exclusively the latest stuff. My old RZ guild finally got into doing NToV well into Luclin.

You have to realize, fondness for things and enjoyment don't always come from achievement, IMO, much of it comes from anticipation and investment. Any game that gets you hooked on wanting to see the next level of dungeon and you are stuck having to wait and work on getting better at the game will produce an attachment and love from the player, just as anything else that does those things brings that out in human nature, from work to relationships., etc.

For the record: the most brutal game of all time is Battletoads. Anyone who said that finished this game without using ROM and emulator is a liar.

It was one of those game's you waited for the local game stores Game Genie to be in to rent specifically to play with.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
But yes, Fallout 2 had way too many inside jokes/references.

And luckily, also all those pop culture references went past the head of former Eastern Block and Soviet Union adolescents that played it.
A rare case where ignorance was truly bliss

I may go back to it, but not any time soon.

latest

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm always surprised and somewhat suspicious when normies talk about these old games with fondness, considering how difficult they were. People talk about how challenging games like Dark Souls are when they basically have no death penalty, when in comparison these old 8-bit games required you to beat them in a single sitting and losing all of your lives meant a complete reset. I played Super Mario Land on the gameboy for countless hours as a kid and never finished it; got to the final area and boss a few times but inevitably died and then it was all the way back to the beginning.

I recall about the last time I played Mario 3 as a kid I had an awesome run, chalked up a ton of lives, then blew them all on one of the last levels in the game that I'd never gotten to before that was brutal.
Heh, Mario 3 was the easiest one of the original trilogy and still hard as. I always got stock on one of the last worlds, there was this castle where you can turn rocks in to coins and stack up on lives, but it still didn't help. Mike Tyson's Punch Out was also brutal.

Beastro

Arcane

Heh, Mario 3 was the easiest one of the original trilogy and still hard as. I always got stock on one of the last worlds, there was this castle where you can turn rocks in to coins and stack up on lives, but it still didn't help. Mike Tyson's Punch Out was also brutal.

I beat Mario 2 all the time while the first one just wore me down.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Space colonies should be reserved for some other title that isn't Fallout. It'd be too different for Fallout itself, even with the 50s retrofuturism.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tim Cain wants to take Fallout into space...

As Ridley Scott proved he's senile with the release of Prometheus, it's Cain's turn to succumb to mental degradation I see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom