Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

TOME

Cuckmaster General
No gear
C

Vernydar

Learned
Very well, I did the counting and it was kind of hard, as stores always are. Not many of you wanted to spend much, on average 15.9 silver. The most voted combo was leather cap + studded leather pants + good quality sword, which would cost 26.3 silver. However, selling your sword and the leather pants that goes down to 20.4 silver. I think it's close enough, considering that the next most voted (the bastard sword) had 3 less votes. Also because, basically 4 people wanted the bastard sword, while 13 wanted either the good quality sword or to keep your sword.

So, leather cap + studded leather pants + good quality sword. 20 silvers 40 coppers all in all.

For the mission, C wins over B 12 to 5. So C it is.

Off to write the update, should be up in 1-2 hours. I wonder how many of you realized just how... vague option C is :cool:

Clotstein

Augur
The most voted combo was leather cap + studded leather pants + good quality sword, which would cost 26.3 silver.

FFS, i hope we at least have the option to not wear the damn thing by default. You should add a -1 penalty to charisma while wearing it.

Off to write the update, should be up in 1-2 hours. I wonder how many of you realized just how... vague option C is :cool:

Oh.... shit. I fucked up didn't I?

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh. So they sent us to die, huh? I guess now they'll learn why you can't keep the Kodex down.

Monty

Arcane
Yes I can just picture us walking around looking like a biker gimp.

Farewell Irene, hello seedy brothels.

Vernydar

Learned
Naah, you do not wear it by default, just on the field. You don't go around villages with a leather cap on :) Not unless you're expecting trouble :P

As for sent you to die? I just said it was a rather.. vague option XD.

And mini mini spoiler, so it shall be today still, this update's title is: a vague assignment :)

Baltika9

Arcane
Say, are there monocles around, and is there a demon realm? I know I'm requesting meta knowledge here, but I'm curious.

Vernydar

Learned
As I wrote before, for buying stuff, leather cap (Not always worn, don't worry :P) + studded leather pants + good quality sword. 20 silvers 40 coppers all in all.
For the mission, C wins over B 12 to 5. So C it is.

60 – A vague assignment

Earlier this month you chose to buy the leather cap, studded leather pants and a good quality sword to gain an edge in combat. You sold your old leather pants and your father's average sword because you don't plan to use them anymore. As such, the final price you pay is 20 silvers and 40 coppers
(You have gained: Leather cap, Studded leather pants, Good quality sword. You have lost 20 silvers, 40 coppers, leather pants, average sword)

You consider carefully the options Jacob offers you. You are somewhat tempted by helping him here in Bitak with the assessment of supplies for the entire town. But in the end, you decide to pick the job outside the town. You are somewhat intrigued by the fact he gave you so few details. And he doesn't know how much time it will take. Most peculiar, indeed. You tell Jacob you'd like to go with that, and he smiles

"Hmm, I see you do like going for the most... interesting options. Well, I certainly hope you will repeat your performance from the last mission. Now, this mission is rather... secret. You saw in the last two months that we have security problems. Our enemies seem to have spies, and they are interested in observing our moves. As such, I cannot tell you much about this mission. You will have to prepare for it somewhat blindly."

He sees your perplexed face and chuckles a bit.
"Consider this a show of trust in you, Kyoss. I will tell you what you can know. You will get to pick the people for this mission, and understand how much I trust you by letting you choose them, even though you do not know exactly what you're going to do. You will leave in two days, in the morning, and meet the leader of the mission on the road, outside Bitak. The commander has a letter with the detailed assignment, and you will act as his advisor. Of course, if he gives you an order you are to obey."

"You will have to ride in the woods for about four days before reaching your destination. Supplies for you and the men you take with you will not be a problem. What I can tell you is that you will have to do multiple things once you reach that place."

"You will have to interact with people for sure, and also, there might be some... exploration to be done. Some searching and investigation too. As I said, I will want regular, detailed reports of the situation of the place where you will go, as well as a list of supplies, men, structures and everything else you can think about. It could be dangerous, after all there could be enemies in the forest, or problems at your destination."

"As I said, I am trusting you with assembling the people you will bring with you for this task. Consider carefully what I said, and choose. I can give you 20 soldiers, and I would advise about 10 other civilians at most. You can pick those between the retainers of Lord Medah, or hire some people from the village. I will pay for those of course"

"Yes, I know, I did not give you much information, but understand, we want to keep this secret from our enemies. If you have anything you need to ask me, you can come in these two days. Good luck!"

You leave the mansion, a bewildered expression on your face. This is a most... vague assignment. Still it seems important, you must be sure not to screw up. You try to gather your thoughts, think about who you should bring with you.

Regarding the soldiers, the army of Eskal has the following classification: light infantry, medium infantry, heavy infantry, horsemen, archers and long polearms. You are supposed to pick at most 20 people, but regardless of the type you have been told you will be provided horses for transportation. You wonder what types of soldiers you should bring with you. You also wonder whether or not you should ask for Kalz and his men. (GM's note they are medium infantry. It is Kalz + the 6 men that were with you in the last mission). After all you have been told you can pick more or less whomever you want....

As for civilians... who should you pick? This is the part that has you stumped the most. Clerks? Explorers? Merchants? uh... hunters maybe? You're really perplexed.

What shall you so Kyoss?

Regarding the soldiers, who do you want with you? Choose at most 20 soldiers, divide them by type.

And what about civilians? At most 10 civilians, you can pick any... reasonable civilian.

Also, do you want to do something else? As always if you have reasonable questions I will answer :)

Good luck, this is starting to get... a bit harder :)

Clotstein

Augur
You also wonder whether or not you should ask for Kalz and his men. :)

Kalz + his men.... how many people would that be? all 20 soldiers allowed? (clarified)

----Will probably change after reading other suggestions----

(Soldiers)
7 Kalz + company (we're buddies, or somthing like that, and they somewhat trust us)
3 Medium soldiers ('cause i hate weird numbers and having 7 medium soldiers would drive me nuts, 10 is much neater)
5 archers.
5 horsemen.

(Civilians)
1 One of Jacob's spies (I'm not so keen on them for their information ability, although it might prove useful. They're good with traps though, which, given we don't know the nature of the facility we're going to could prove useful. Also good for defense)
1 hunters/trackers (Scout, track down pesky carpenters should they bother us, useful fellow)
1 clerk (take care of paperwork if we're busy being big damn heroes)
1 merchant (could come in handy for mathemagicks or bartering for supplies)
1 cook (to make sure the party is tolerably fed)
1 healer/herbalist (obviously useful)
1 scholar (for lore checks, pity Thomas is so old or he'd be perfect for the job)
1 Mason/Engineer (We're going to some sort of former base, maybe ruins, for an indeterminate amount of time. A mason can help with fortifications, and if we're delving into ruins, he can assist in the process)
1 Smith (Maintains the soldier's gear, can craft any goods we might find ourselves needing, shoes our horses, and when it comes down to it, can replace a strong labourer)
1 Miner (Digs, and makes sure tunnels are structurally sound, also serves as strong generic labourer)

Also, if we have time to spare: acquire monocle!

I endorse this proposal.

Baltika9

Arcane
I told you this was the right choice for our budding Delta Force team. And time to screw it up most gloriously. :salute:
Kalz with his men, ten heavy infantrymen and some bowmen (by the way, are the other soldiers at all trained with longbows, or are they just like us with swords, only they suck more?)
As for civilians, take four hunters (food gatherers, plus they can double as low-quality bowmen in tight situations, two medics, a clerk, three laborers, and BLOBERT. Irene too if she's around.

Brornydar, can you at least tell me if there are monocles around? PM if you must, I must know.

Vernydar

Learned
Lol, what is this strange fetish of yours?. Very well, I can tell you that monocles do exist in the setting. Not like it's going to change anything, whether or not you wear one :lol:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Soldiers:

Kalz + his men (main fighting force)
4 light infantry (for skirmishing)
4 horsemen (to outflank and hunt down enemies)
3 archers (might come in handy, since the enemy uses them)
2 polearms (would be very useful against cavalry)

Civilian, if available:

2 hunters/trackers (they can also scout around our camp etc)
2 clerks (in case one of them takes an arrow to the knee)
2 cooks (to make sure the party is tolerably fed)
2 healers/herbalists (obviously useful)
1 scholar (for lore checks, pity Thomas is so old or he'd be perfect for the job)

No need for laborers as the soldiers can do heavy lifting if need be.

Baltika9

Arcane
Lol, what is this strange fetish of yours?. Very well, I can tell you that monocles do exist in the setting. Not like it's going to change anything, whether or not you wear one :lol:
Obviously I want to LARP a sadistic, monocle-wearing, tranny-fucking, alcoholic dragon. That can also summon succubi. Ain't it obvious?

Monty

Arcane
I agree with the civilian mix by SmashingAxe #1385. I think the soldiers have to be as flexible as possible given that we don't know what we'll be facing. We have been offered these different types of soldier, let's use them.

- Kalz and co (7 medium soldiers)
- 5 horsemen
- 5 archers
- 3 polearms

I think this provides us with a lot of options depending on the foe we face.
We have trackers amongst our civilians so less need for light infantry. Archers for ranged attack, horsemen for flanking and speed, polearms to bolster our medium infantry depending on the compostion of our enemies.

Sure if we knew we were getting into a hand to hand fight with a bunch of heavy infantry then I might include some of those, but even in that scenario I think the above would give us the tactical options to outflank them and inflict casualties from range. Having 3 or 4 of every type instead of the above would leave us with too few archers and horsemen (and at least we know we can trust Kalz so let's take him along)

m4davis

Scholar
Soldiers:

Civilian, if available:

Clotstein

Augur
Soldiers:

Civilian, if available:

Updated my journal at post #1363 to partially reflect these choices.
I have a feeling this vote is going to be a pain in the ass to manage.
Also, how do you people feel a crafter or an 'entertainer' would fit in the party?

ScubaV

Prophet
I agree with Monty's soldier list and Kalin's civilian list (although I would recommend switching one of the clerks for a general craftsman)

Bloodshifter

Educated
Soldiers:
Kalz+Men 7 (good speed and trusts us sorta)
Heavy Infantry 8 (we are in a heavily forested region horses are a pain to manage here)
Crossbow men 5 (they can take out mounted troops and centipede summoners with ease) *is the crossbow invented? if not just plain archers*

Civilians:
1 clerk (we can double as one)
3 merchants (if possible try to get some already heading to our mission location to appear as a caravan meaning they have goods they need to sell and our men can act as guards) *if we can't find any heading that way then replace them a 3-man troupe of entertainers we are now a well off to do Gypsies group ;) )
1 cook (30 men one guy cooking not too bad)
1 healer (if we needed two we be damned anyways no magic to instant heal)
1 bard/thief (want information put this guy in a pub and leave it to stew for the night bards can milk information for the locals with no effort not to mention most are reasonably good with their hands) *No bards? then just get a thief again information gathering*
2 trackers/guides (information on local area and can double as scouts and help trail people)
1 dancer (to go with the bard if they already come together better)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I agree with Monty's soldier list and Kalin's civilian list (although I would recommend switching one of the clerks for a general craftsman)

I agree with this. Perhaps a smith? If we're heading to bolster a fortress or something, would come in very useful. We don't know how long we're going, so repairs of armour/gear might become an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom