Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
D. He is the boss, after all. We should probably ask him about his opinion, but I going would be the most interesting avenue.

Actually

E) Tell Kalz and do what he says to do. We are on this mission for a purpose. Since we are the only one in the group who can read, we are irreplaceable, so it wouldn't do for us to run off and get ourselves in trouble. I am sure that our superiors will appreciate our dedication. We could explain to Jacob in a letter why we didn't chose to investigate if asked.

Zwist

Learned
E) Tell Kalz and do what he says to do. We are on this mission for a purpose. Since we are the only one in the group who can read, we are irreplaceable, so it wouldn't do for us to run off and get ourselves in trouble. I am sure that our superiors will appreciate our dedication. We could explain to Jacob in a letter why we didn't chose to investigate if asked.

This. And try to do it out of reach of other ears. If I understand our schedule right there should be ample opportunity for that.

Also, what if the letter was *not* from the merchant? Why contact us in written form? That just leaves unnecessary tracks.

If we go, and this is not a trap, we will likely be offered a deal, quid pro quo, and/or manipulated to hell and back.

And why the secrecy? Lack of trust towards the establishment? Or hands that are not as sparkly clean with innocence as they should be?

Curufinwe

Learned
C

I'm not one for taking useless risks normally, but something stinks to high heaven here. The carpenter's reaction was completely out of place for a petty trade rivalry. You don't spit on a high lord's representative when you're a medieval carpenter, that usually can have unfortunate side effects like loss of head, confiscation of property, imprisonment of family and so on.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
E we here to do business for Bitak and this would likely only cause complications.

Vernydar

Learned
Very well, overwhelming victory for option E
E) Tell Kalz and do what he says to do. We are on this mission for a purpose. Since we are the only one in the group who can read, we are irreplaceable, so it wouldn't do for us to run off and get ourselves in trouble.
Let's see how that turns out.

34 – A last minute quarrel

You decide to tell Kalz about this development, and to defer to his judgement on this. It's your first task, you don't want to botch it up or to get in trouble. So, after returning to your quarters for the night you stop a second, invite him inside your room and tell him about this message. He's very surprised, but once again he has no reason not to believe you. He thinks a bit about what should be done about this.

"I don't like this at all. I think it's better if you don't go, it could be a trap of the carpenter and let's face it, you're not good at combat my friend. No, it's too high a risk, taking such a blind bet. Let's do this. Tomorrow, once you see the man with the red cloth, pretend you're not interested, as if you did not want to meet this mysterious person. But do look at him carefully and write down a description. In about a week we will leave for Nokos, and we will be alone once again. Once we are on the road you can write a letter and I can send one of my men to take it to Jacob. That way, nobody here knows of the letter, and Jacob can send someone good at investigating these kind of things. Spies, if you want to call them that. You can also write in that letter to keep an eye on the carpenters, just in case."

His plan seems to make sense, and so you agree to it. The next morning you wait for the man with the red cloth. However, you see none. For the entire day you keep an eye out, but nothing happens. You wonder why. Something happened to him? Or maybe to the mysterious person who wants to talk to you? Or maybe they somehow overheard you and cancelled the whole thing? Nah, impossible, you were in the lord's house....

--------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt 4: Etiquette – The ancient customs of Avarlos about entering houses.
Not much has survived of the famed, complex etiquette in use in the ancient city of Avarlos so many centuries ago. We do know that their ways were considered exquisite in the entire known world, but they have been mostly lost in time.

One thing however has survived, and is still in use nowadays in every nation that occupies the territory that Avarlos once ruled. And that is the way to enter houses. In ancient Avarlos, it was extremely important to choose carefully which foot to use first when entering someone else's house.

If you were entering the house of a noble, a priest, or someone of higher standing than yourself, you had to use the left foot first. This was considered recognising that your standing was lower than that of the host. Only if you were entering the house of someone less important than you the right foot would be used first. It was a very important symbol of standing, and many duels to the death originated by entering a house with the wrong foot.

Right now though only part of those customs survived. It is considered extremely impolite to enter with the right foot first the house of someone of higher standing. But the meaning behind all this has been lost to most, and only scholar remembers why
--------------------------------------------------------

Another week passes by, busy but uneventful. You work, study, train and have some fun with the soldiers. You never see anyone wearing a red cloth...

The preparation of the caravan proceed at a steady, brisk pace. But just the day before the departure one last problem rises its ugly head. In the late afternoon, when almost everything is ready, one soldier comes running for you and Kalz. He tells you that merchants and carpenters are quarreling in a very bad way. You run to the location they are and appraise the situation while the soldier explains what happened. He was certainly not joking around, this is very bad.

The caravan is assembling in the main plaza of the village. It seems that while loading a cart, one of the merchant's apprentices stumbled and let an important tool fall. The tool is unfortunately broken beyond repair. The owner, a carpenter, was enraged by this and hit the apprentice repeatedly with a stick. He kept hitting the apprentice until he ended up with a broken arm, and maybe a leg too. Now, this is clearly going overboard, and normally the soldiers would have seized the carpenter and thrown him in a cell. However your.. "enemy", the carpenter guild's head came running and started to threaten loudly the merchants, saying that not one cart would leave unless they apologized profusely and made adequate compensations. The merchants are not taking this well at all, and as more and more people arrive the two groups are looking at each other in an increasingly hostile way. The merchant guild's head is nowhere to be seen. There's already maybe fifty people here, and they all seem ready to fight. With the corner of your eye you see some people taking up some sticks...

You are here with Kalz and three other soldiers, decidedly too few to stop fifty people!

What are you going to do? Open choice since there's too many possible things you can do. Make proposals and put letters on it to help me count.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Err... I guess I'll start.

A) Follow Captain Kalz's lead. Wrinkles in the plans like this are exactly why he is there. We don't want to get in the way or make things worse than they already are.

ScubaV

Prophet
F) Fuck it. Kyoss never asked for this: ungrateful, pissant carpenters and merchants. He walks off into the wilderness and lives out the remainder of his days as that crazy hermit guy.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Edit: Voting B. I think prevention is no longer a possibility, if we had spent time investigating the carpenter this might not have happened.

Follow Kalz's lead, suggest that the main instigator was the lead carpenter.

Monty

Arcane
A

Last time we intervened in this petty dispute we just made enemies for ourself, let Kalz and the local Lord earn their keep.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B) If Kalz doesn't know what do to, let's suggest that while we run to find rest of the soldiers and inform the lord, he will arrest the carpenter who hit the apperentice and demand that the broken tool is compensated. Then he is to threaten that fighting will get you arrested and taken to holding cells in Bitak.

But if Kalz quickly takes control of the situation, I'm good with A.

Zwist

Learned
Problem being, no one is going to listen to us, even if we try. There are quite a lot of good arguments against starting to crush each others heads. But I don't think we can convey them.
Fighting near the carts might damage the gods after all, making a certain powerful someone really, really angry. And demanding more compensation after effectively putting a apprentice out of working order? Really?

If we had more knowledge of argumentation/articulation we could ask for the price of the tool and the cost arising from beating the apprentice to a pulp, finding a solution based on the cost difference.
But seeing as one part is not interested in defusing the situation a rather hard skill-check just got a lot harder.

Also, if the carpenter would like to get our skull bashed in, a melee-brawl would be the perfect time.

Taking cover like a scared girl would be a reasonable thing to do, or running for the garrison to get help.
While listening to Kalz is what most sane people would do, if we do that at every opportunity, this LP is going to get rather boring as we are practically on autopilot.

So for now:
B) Run to the garrison to get the cavalry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom