Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
A) Tell him that you are Larine's son, and ask him if he can tell you anything about her.

Curufinwe

Learned
B

Would be nice to have an unbiased view of Larine. The old man wants to talk, it is obvious, so he should not keep anything back even if we don't tell him we're her son. On the other hand, if we do tell him and there's anything 'darker' about her, he'll probably keep silent.
Also, I agree with Hodoo proposal. This and the next updates will be a very good place to discuss our immediate future.

For now, I stand by the idea of asking employment from Medah. He's been sent here to solve a problem, probably a bad problem. He seems competent and an important figure kingdom-wide. Even when the problem here is solved (if it can) and he goes back to wherever he comes from, if we act competently he'll take us with him on the wider stage.

Charlie_Brown

Novice
B) Do not tell him you are her son, but show curiosity and ask more about her.

As for books, I'd go with the obvious choice of gazetteers, maps etc.

oscar

Arcane
Hm, D

Enquire about Larine and then at the end of the conversation reveal that you are her son

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Although I think it's a practical choice, D is essentially A. The only way it could have a different outcome is that our healer, humanitarian mother has a grim reputation. I just think the likelihood of this is too slim to warrant concern. Speaking from a strictly metagaming perspective, I think the significance of these revealing your past options, which have been fairly common so far, is that there's someone of malevolent intent hunting for us and giving our backstory to everyone we meet increases their chance of tracking us down. It's perhaps related to the metal shard. That or the shard's a red-herring. I don't know whether our DM intends to subvert RPG cliches or not. (I'm neither for, or against)

oscar

Arcane
One thing is that it could prove damaging if we go down the politics road. Perhaps if no one knows your ancestry we can pretend we're the son of a lord from one of those destroyed villages. Or even invent a heraldry since this area of the kingdom is so remote.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
It's an idea, but the lord of Bitak already knows who we are and I doubt any of the destroyed villages actually had a lord, its still possible however, perhaps for another location. With our level of literacy we could spend the next few years learning how a lord's son is to behave and act from there. Furthermore, the effect won't be any worse than walking around dressed as we are in peasant's clothes with a pseudonym. People may still recognise us in the future.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
A - having more people know our origins is risky (if somebody is still pissed off at our parents for some past deeds), but also possibly beneficial (being a son of a genius healer, we're likely to gain prestige points, if nothing else - and assistance from people who knew them). Also, this guy seems all right, and likes books - bookworms are rarely spies for malicious interests. And he might be impressed by our heritage enough to give us a discount :P Or share info about our mother he wouldn't tell a random stranger... It's clear our parents weren't random nobodies, and we need to learn as much about their past as we can (there's this mysterious metal shard, and a vague hint of them being hunted by old enemies or something...)

Vernydar

Learned
9 votes for A, 5 for B, 2 for D. A it is. I will try to keep in mind the other preferences written there.
This update will be the trial run for the shopping system.
You are going to make a list of every item you want to buy. I will make the average of your expenses and consider that the budget to spend (more or less). Then, I will use that budget to buy the most voted items. I hope this system works well and it's easy to use. If not, we will see what else can be done.

22 – Histories of the past and buying knowledge

You decide to tell old Thomas the truth, that you are indeed the son of that young woman he once knew. He is happy of that and asks you immediately how your mother is doing. You tell him of the horrible fate of your parents, and he is quite incredulous.

"But.. but that's impossible! Larine was such a learned young woman, how could she not notice the symptoms of the Green Plague on the animals!"

You do however manage to convince him that it is the truth and recount the entire tale of their disease. The old man seems quite distressed by this, but he is quick to recover, offering you his condolences and assuring you he will do his best to counsel you. He also agrees to tell you what he knows of your mother.

"Your mother was an exceptionally bright young woman, and a genius healer. She was born in the eastern Kingdom of Werag, and she graduated from the prestigious Academy of Herbology and Healing in Werag City. I will have you know that it is an extraordinary accomplishment, very few people each year manage to do that! She had her own graduation badge, custom made and engraved with her name. I hope you took it with you! It is so hard to obtain that. Only the top student of every year receives it!"

"I do not know how she met your father, I think I only met the man a couple of times. They seemed very much in love with each other. She stopped here for a few months, and her reputation grew immensely around here. She was easily the most accomplished healer in the entire village! Even some people from other villages of the kingdom started to come here in order to be treated by her."
"If I recall correctly, the last time I talked to her she told me she was going to leave and go back to your father's native village. I was truly sorry to see her go, she was easily the most interesting and cultured person around here, and the talks we had about herbs were so stimulating! I will never know why she decided to come in this backwater place, instead of staying in Werag where people like her are hugely respected and commend very high fees"

You are elated to know a bit more about your mother, she never told you much of her youth. It was mostly your father telling you story after story of his life as a soldier and mercenary.

After that, you keep talking a bit to the old man, and finalize the list of all the books you might want to buy. He states that he's going to give you a discount in memory of your mother, and he won't listen to anything you will say about this.

But which ones are you going to buy? (Choose as many as you like) (Remember your current funds: 19 silvers and 15 coppers)
1) A map of the Kingdom of Eskal. 50 coppers
2) A book with the History of Eskal. 60 coppers
3) A generic book about all the nations that border the Sea of Broken Reefs. 1 silver
4) A book of heraldly. It mostly talks of Eskal, but the major houses of other nearby kingdoms are covered as well. 1 silver
5) A book of old stories, legends and myths. Mostly about Eskal, a few about neighbouring nations. 80 coppers
6) A book covering religions common in Eskal and its neighbours. 80 coppers
7) A book about the art of healing, covering diseases, injuries, and poisoning. 60 coppers
8) A book about plants, herbs, and extracting useful substances from them. 50 coppers.
9) A book talking of the basics of alchemy. Thomas tells you that if you want to know more you will have to leave Eskal, other nations are much more advanced in this field. 2 silvers
10) A book that talks about etiquette. It is very complete with the customs of this area, and should give you some tips on how to behave elsewhere too. 1 silver.
11) A book about accounting. Everything about numbers, with a special emphasis on trade and money. 1 silver.
12) A book that explains the art of evaluating items. It should give you the basics for knowing how much are items and goods worth. 80 coppers.
13) A book about the art of eloquence. How to talk well and be convincing. 1 silver.
14) A book about law. Laws in Eskal and elsewhere. 50 coppers.
15) A book about haggling. Every trick you may need. 1 silver
16) A book about tactics. It illustrates known tactics used in fights and wars of the past. 1 silver.

GM's note:
I really hope the shop system works well. Keep in mind that buying a book will not make you magically know all that's inside. Each update where some time passed I will put an excerpt from one of the books you bought, starting with the one with the most votes. I hope this will keep the entire thing interesting instead of killing you all with a huge wall of text. It does take time after all to study books!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Edit:
I support Hoodoo suggestion of befriend Thomas and using his store as book repository and temporary house for us.
About the books that we should carry with us here my selection:
For obvious reasons.

4) A book of heraldly. It mostly talks of Eskal, but the major houses of other nearby kingdoms are covered as well. 1 silver
The sooner we learn this the better, not knowing about this is akin to not knowing who USA, Russia and China are and what kind of rapports they have.

7) A book about the art of healing, covering diseases, injuries, and poisoning. 60 coppers
8) A book about plants, herbs, and extracting useful substances from them. 50 coppers.
These ones are quite obvious.

Knowing how getting the best price in every transaction will be quite useful if we travel a lot.

3) A generic book about all the nations that border the Sea of Broken Reefs. 1 silver
9) A book talking of the basics of alchemy. Thomas tells you that if you want to know more you will have to leave Eskal, other nations are much more advanced in this field. 2 silvers
10) A book that talks about etiquette. It is very complete with the customs of this area, and should give you some tips on how to behave elsewhere too. 1 silver.
11) A book about accounting. Everything about numbers, with a special emphasis on trade and money. 1 silver.
12) A book that explains the art of evaluating items. It should give you the basics for knowing how much are items and goods worth. 80 coppers.
13) A book about the art of eloquence. How to talk well and be convincing. 1 silver.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
This

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The whole selection seems both useful and interesting. Of course, it would be impossible to read all of the books right away, and carrying them around all the time would be most impractical. For now, it might be best to focus on but a select few, but once we have a proper place of living where books and other items can be stored safely, we can of course buy them all.

With this in mind, I would suggest reading up a little on the history of the kingdom (and studying the map) as well as procuring the book on heraldry to try to learn something about Lord Medah.

4) A book of heraldry. It mostly talks of Eskal, but the major houses of other nearby kingdoms are covered as well. 1 silver

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Buying many books, also ask if he has anything to waterproof them for travel.
Edit: (Didn't realise you could edit posts past the thirty minute mark here)
If I can weight my vote, give preference to the book on old legends and myths

Esquilax

Arcane
I agree with Kalin, we should probably limit ourselves to 5 or 6 books max, but no more. While I'd love to haul an entire library like Kz3r0 proposes, it just isn't practical. Plus we want money left over for other stuff too. Here are my picks:

1) A map of the Kingdom of Eskal: this one is a no-brainer
4) A book of heraldly: we have to know who's powerful around here. Maybe we can find out who the soldiers that massacred that village were affiliated with.
7) A book about the art of healing: learning about healing and poisons is useful if we're ever hurt... or if we ever need to hurt someone.
9) A book talking of the basics of alchemy: Expensive book, but it's a good starting point. I'm fascinated to know what we might craft.
11) A book about accounting: Surprised nobody picked this. Money makes the world go round.
13) A book about the art of eloquence: This will boost our natural charisma.

Tough choices, would have liked to get the book on etiquette, but hopefully our natural charisma will make up for any social faux pas we make in our travels.

Esquilax

Arcane
When are we going to read them and how do you propose we carry all that shit around? Also, I'd like to have money left over to buy some armor in case someone wants to cut our guts open.

ScubaV

Prophet

I want to buy all the books, but it's impractical from both a money (this pared down selection is 7.5 silvers of our 19) and storage standpoint. I may try to come back and edit this down to a smaller list.

Omicron

Scholar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom