Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Vernydar

Learned
Can we read something off his desk, or on the walls or something?

If you want to prove your literacy to him, it won't be a problem. If he's willing to employ you, he will surely give you a scrap to read in order to prove yourself.

I will also say one thing, having a relatively high literacy skill also means knowing more words (as you can read on the character's sheet). This means you can also talk better, in a more refined way.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've only had a chance to skim through this, but when I get some time will definitely catch up. Just felt the motivation to jump in here and say I think what you're doing is very cool and to keep it up.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
And one day smuggle a dagger into his bed chamber?
Good idea, we'll be able to cut him some apple segments in case he gets hungry.

In all seriousness, though, ask him if he needs a hand with anything that requires literacy or some shit, like Oscar suggested.

Zwist

Learned
Going with a modified A to.

State our abilities an willingness to be of service and combined with the goodwill shown a use for us will be found.

Man, I really don't hope our daddy was sent home by the lord to watch over that strange piece of metal.

Wouldn't it be fun if the attacks were staged in order to acquire that?

Vernydar

Learned
Early update today as I have people, and you more or less all voted the same thing
Very well, you decided to be honest with Lord Medah. And, with some variations, you also decided to ask for employment in his service. Maybe about your father if you can. Let's see how it turns out!

19 – Places of Bitak

You move forward with your tale, describing in detail the slaughtered caravan and your journey in the woods. Lord Medah and his aide, whose name is Jacob, often interrupt you to ask some questions in order to better understand some things, focusing on details that sometimes you think trivial.

When you describe what you found in the ruined, plagued hamlet, Lord Medah shakes his head.
"It is a good thing you didn't enter that forsaken place, young man. It is not contagious by any means. In fact, it's not even a disease to begin with. But you seem a curious young man, you might have died. That place and everything in it is tainted. We lost quite a few good men investigating it."

You actually hope that he decides to elaborate further, but he doesn't. Not wanting to sound insistent, you continue your tale and start to talk about Qoor. Here you are asked a huge amount of questions, especially by Jacob. They ask you many things again and again, until you actually feel you understand better what happened there. You are able to describe details you did not think remembering before, like the garments of those horseman, how they kept their weapons, some details on the horses themselves, and so on. You feel you did a good job in reporting everything you saw.

As you finish talking, you see them considering what you said. You gather your courage, and ask Lord Medah if by chance he would be interested in employing you. As you are about to continue and explain you can read and write, he stops you with a short laughter.

"I can always use some competent people. It is clear from the way you talk that you have some culture at least. Farmers and villagers do not talk like that. I assume you can read and write quite well, right?"

After you answer affirmatively, he continues: "I could indeed employ you for a few things at the very least. Literacy is a rare gift. I can have tens of workers, craftsmen and soldiers easily, but people who can read, write and think straight are quite another matter. However, you're very young and inexperienced. That is not a big problem by itself, but I need committed people. You have just reached your first settlement of a certain size, I am not sure you could be satisfied with committing yourself to something while having no experience of the world."

He thinks a few seconds, then talks again: "Why don't we do something like this. You have just arrived, and barely even saw Bitak. Take a couple of days to look around, talk to the people and maybe buy something. If you're still interested after that, come here and ask for old Jacob here. He takes care of most of the work I need done. And for your useful report, here, catch this."

He throws you a small purse with a reward. After thanking him you recover your gear and leave the mansion. You think it went quite well, you can look around and in a couple of days if you're still interested you can come back and talk to the old man. You look into the purse and see that it contains 5 silver pieces.
(You have gained: 5 silver pieces)

You use the rest of the day to look around. Bitak seems very large to you, and it's a novel experience. You walk around, talk to some people, and try to find some interesting places. You are a bit surprised by the fact that people often do not greet others, but you realize that they probably do not even know each other. You're not used to this, but then again before this place you have never met more than thirty people together. When night falls, you turn in for the night in a small inn, and after a hearty meal you go to sleep.
(You have paid 5 copper pieces)

You wake up determined to make the most of these two days. You found quite a few interesting places yesterday. You do not think you'll have time to check them all in detal in just a couple of days....

Where do you plan to go in the next two days? (Choose 4)
1) A clothier. It sells every kind of clothes, from traveling clothes to elegant ones.
2) A tanner. Boots, shoes, leather armor. Anything leather
3) A blacksmith. Weapons, and a few metal armors
4) The church of Adsal. A rather big stone building.
5) The market. Food, and a lot of rumors
6) A general store. Selling everything a traveler would need
7) A shop that sells books and maps.
8) The merchant guild. An administrative, medium-sized building where officials from the guild dispense work orders and regulations
9) The mercenary guild. A small branch of the mercenary guild, with only a few people registered
10) The army barracks.
11) The tavern. A classic place to meet travelers and hear rumors
12) Other. If you want to look for something else, make a proposal and put a number on it.

Curufinwe

Learned
2, 5, 7, 11.

Reasons: The tanner for leather armor. I don't think we should go to the blacksmith, because metal armor is too heavy for us and we're not trained in its use. For weapons, we already have a sword. Both things would be too expensive for our balance anyway.
The market, for rumors and maybe some shopping opportunity.
The bookstore, for maps and maybe skill books in the future.
The tavern, for more rumors and maybe the classical hooded questgiver.

On a sidenote, when we get back to Medah we should show him the strange metal fragment we got in our house. He seems a quite competent fellow, even if it's the evil artifact of the evil god worshiped by evil fanatics, he should just take it off our hands and dispose of it. Either way, we might learn something more. Now that I think about it, we mayhaps could look for stuff like that in the bookstore as well (without asking the shopkeeper).

ScubaV

Prophet
2, 5, 7, 11.

Reasons: The tanner for leather armor. I don't think we should go to the blacksmith, because metal armor is too heavy for us and we're not trained in its use. For weapons, we already have a sword. Both things would be too expensive for our balance anyway.
The market, for rumors and maybe some shopping opportunity.
The bookstore, for maps and maybe skill books in the future.
The tavern, for more rumors and maybe the classical hooded questgiver.

On a sidenote, when we get back to Medah we should show him the strange metal fragment we got in our house. He seems a quite competent fellow, even if it's the evil artifact of the evil god worshiped by evil fanatics, he should just take it off our hands and dispose of it. Either way, we might learn something more. Now that I think about it, we mayhaps could look for stuff like that in the bookstore as well (without asking the shopkeeper).

This exactly, although I might consider going to the merchant guild instead of the tavern to try to sell our farmhouse before it's destroyed by roving horsemen and centipedes.

Omicron

Scholar
I think we should at least choose:
6) To sell our axe, and antlers etc.
7) A map of the realm will be useful, also, some good reading will make us a more knowledgeable and prestigious individual.

Aside from that I would propose
11) To use our charisma to gain some knowledge of the ruin we passed by.
12) Visit a local herbalist and pick up some useful herbs and try to gain some knowledge in herbs and poison.

Monty

Arcane

Perhaps someone at the mercenary guild could point us in the right direction for some archery training. We have a bow and spend a lot of time trying to survive in the wild, using our bow would be useful. Particularly if we follow Curufinwe's suggestion and buy some leather armour (if we can afford it) as we'll be equipped for archery not front line fighting.

We're also carrying some large antlers which we should try to sell at the market.

Project: Eternity
2, 4, 5, 7

I swapped out the tavern for the church. I think we are more likely to learn more useful information (i.e. divine plagues and such)

The idea of buying leather armor is not a bad one, but let's just look. Perhaps if we accept employment we can expense that shit.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
2) 5) 7) 11) At the tavern find out more about the lord and our local surroundings. Maybe we should say we have thought on his words and intend to learn more about the world at large. I'm not sure. At the bookstore, depending on the selection on offer, see if we can find out more about our strange shard, and look for any books that might increase our knowledge of both our kingdom and surrounding nations. At the market, sell off the antlers and maybe the axe (A hatchet would be superior if we're going back to the woods, we already have a main weapon)

I think now we need to make a decision about where we want to go in this game, we should think about what we want the character to be and where they should end up. I'm partial to both investigating and using the tools of the past for power, starting cults worshiping ancient gods and emulating most of the villains from Conan, or alternatively engaging in political intrigue, aiding the kingdom and ourselves to eventually rise to lordom. That said, if we want to rise to a position of nobility and power, or at least emulate nobility and power, this is probably the best opportunity we're going to have for a while.

oscar

Arcane
2) Some good boots
4) We probably need some spiritual comfort
7) Polish our intellectual skills further
8) Perhaps they will pay better than Medah

Though definitely 1) when we get some more coin

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
2) A tanner. Boots, shoes, leather armor. Anything leather
5) The market. Food, and a lot of rumors
7) A shop that sells books and maps.
11) The tavern. A classic place to meet travelers and hear rumors

Also try to sell our loot somewhere (axe, antlers...)

Vernydar

Learned
I think I need to clear things a bit on the monetary value of things. I thought of doing it by examples, showing you how much things cost. But it may be better to explain a bit.

You are not as poor as you think. you have almost 17 silver pieces. I remember you that means almost 1700 copper pieces (1695 to be precise right now). Consider the following, for example. I am only using things you already have, or have reason to know.

The cost for a person to eat at his/her home for one day is 1 copper piece
A dried ration for one person for one day is 2 copper pieces
The cost for a person to eat outside and pay a room in an inn for a night is 5 copper pieces
Comfortable clothes, lower class (like the ones you wear) would be about 10 copper pieces
Your sturdy backpack is probably worth around 40 coppers

Of course, things like weapons, horses, books, metal armor and the like cost quite a bit more. You are not rich by any means, but you are not poor either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom