Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
The trailer wasn't a teaser, it was quite detailed in terms of mood, assets, characters, even story. They must've had SOME preproduction done at the time of the announcement, it's not like Iwinski got the idea on 30th May and announced the game on 31th.

That was entirely made by Platine Image not CDP.

What you said is true there was some planning behind it but we are talking here about production not some nebulous planning. Many games ideas and early work are like 10 years or more before game is released.

bonescraper

The game was announced early 2012, meaning CDPR has been working on it at least since 2011. There's no way any profit-oriented studio would be developing a game for almost ten years, no chance. Either they didn't really work on it until a year or two ago or they're gonna release it this year, 2018 at the very max.

I guess we will know when the PR artillery starts, you know the usual articles bringing little tidbits about the game every week or so. I remember with TW3 the bombardment started around winter, the release was late spring. So it's about 3-4 months from the first shot.
No, the game wasn't technically announced in 2012. They pretty much let people know that they have secured the rights to CP2020 and that they will be working on another title in the future (since TW3 is the last Twitcher game for now). CDPR just got some our tax money for "city creation" and just started hiring people who can implement drivable\flyable vehicles. Both things are quite essential in a serious Cyberpunk project (the game will be set mainly if not exclusively in a big city, obviously). So, if they haven't really started working on a goddamn city - the actual gameworld, it's pretty safe to assume they're somwhere at the end or early after the pre-production stage.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The trailer wasn't a teaser, it was quite detailed in terms of mood, assets, characters, even story. They must've had SOME preproduction done at the time of the announcement, it's not like Iwinski got the idea on 30th May and announced the game on 31th.

Police PsychoSquad going after a cyborg gone cyberpsycho is about the most stereotypical trope of the CP2020, if you are familiar with the source material. So the trailer's story and characters don't require much of planning in terms of concept.

Perkel

Arcane
CDPR just got some our tax money for "city creation" and just started hiring people who can implement drivable\flyable vehicles

They got like 7mln zl which is like 2,5mln$ and this wasn't only for them but for few companies to work on this project. After TW3 2,5mln$ is really small money for them.

Buy you are right and this shows that they don't have all systems running yet which essentially means they don't create content for game yet.

I think CDPR said that before CB2077 they plan to release AA game or something that and Gwent.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think CDPR said that before CB2077 they plan to release AA game or something that and Gwent.

I got around checking out Gwent last week and there's lot of production there too. Maybe they had to divert some resources from 2077 to all sorts of projects along the way, therefore the delay, at least partially.

Perkel

Arcane

I got around checking out Gwent last week and there's lot of production there too. Maybe they had to divert some resources from 2077 to all sorts of projects along the way, therefore the delay, at least partially.

Gwent is made by about ~100 people and from what heads say this is part TW3 team part new team completely created for support of this title.

Still Gwent standalone is mistake. Gwent worked because it was minigame inside of game.

Beowulf

Arcane
latest

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The game was announced early 2012, meaning CDPR has been working on it at least since 2011. There's no way any profit-oriented studio would be developing a game for almost ten years, no chance. Either they didn't really work on it until a year or two ago or they're gonna release it this year, 2018 at the very max.

I guess we will know when the PR artillery starts, you know the usual articles bringing little tidbits about the game every week or so. I remember with TW3 the bombardment started around winter, the release was late spring. So it's about 3-4 months from the first shot.
No, the game wasn't technically announced in 2012. They pretty much let people know that they have secured the rights to CP2020 and that they will be working on another title in the future (since TW3 is the last Twitcher game for now). CDPR just got some our tax money for "city creation" and just started hiring people who can implement drivable\flyable vehicles. Both things are quite essential in a serious Cyberpunk project (the game will be set mainly if not exclusively in a big city, obviously). So, if they haven't really started working on a goddamn city - the actual gameworld, it's pretty safe to assume they're somwhere at the end or early after the pre-production stage.

They don't have to wait for the grant to start working on the game, you know.

Quillon

Arcane
Don't know why everyone want to believe "CDPR just started on CP77" idea. They had a small team for CP all those years they were making Witcher 3 and apparently it wasn't so small cos towards the end of Witcher 3 production, most people on CP team moved to Witcher 3 until it got shipped. There is no logical reason that all 400+ devs didn't do anything other than Witcher 3 Expansions/Gwent since then, waiting for $7M dollars. Unless its a development mess where they had to scratch everything pre-production-wise & start over whatever, they should be well into production by now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know. Bottom line is I'm not worried about the release date, it's in the vital interest of every studio to release games as soon as possible since delays mean paying wages for longer. The real problem of the industry are rushed releases, not delays.

That said I do wish they shared SOME basic information already, it's been almost 5 years after the announcement and we still know jack shit about the game.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't know. Bottom line is I'm not worried about the release date, it's in the vital interest of every studio to release games as soon as possible since delays mean paying wages for longer. The real problem of the industry are rushed releases, not delays.

That said I do wish they shared SOME basic information already, it's been almost 5 years after the announcement and we still know jack shit about the game.

Like i said teaser this year 2017
full coverage in 2018
game due to delay will be released in 2019

Keppo

Arbiter
Perkel nonsens, they won't reveal 30 seconds teaser and then again they will go for 1 year into cave with 0 information.

The only logical things for them is to re-reveal Cyberpunk with big boom, when they will have alot to show, when they will start marketing campaign for real. Its better for developers which can focus on development in peace, and its better for gamers which they overhype some things and later there are cuts in story/gameplay or graphic downgrades. They are in production right now, but how far i dont know.

If u want to know release for Cyberpunk focus on E3, they will be attending at least one E3, because they need to market properly new IP. If they will miss E3 2017 the game will release late 2018 or early 2019 with E3 2018 coverage.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel nonsens, they won't reveal 30 seconds teaser and then again they will go for 1 year into cave with 0 information.

You are right they wouldn't release any trailer/teaser years before release

Also i didn't say that they won't be talking about it. At this e3 they will show short teaser and probably something bigger behind closed doors like they did with Witcher 3 which got behind closed doors presentation year before we got proper trailer. Game magazines/sites will be jacking off for exclusive info for whole year and then at e3 2018 they will fully show what it is with promise of winter 2018 release which will slip to 2019 like TW3 did.

Keppo

Arbiter
Perkel, this is what im saying. There is 0 reason for them to re-reveal Cyberpunk 2077 with small teaser, because they did this already in 2013, also: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-25-cyberpunk-2077-e3-cd-projekt even Iwinski hinting that they will show something when they will have something to show, and he is not happy with media making buzz with every Cyberpunk hint. And your video is not saying anything about TURN-BASED or isometric. Cyberpunk from the start was Action-RPG, but that doesnt mean they won't bo trying to be as close to source material as possible. Maybe they will do some other more tactical mode for players which prefer more tactical aproach instead of action but idk hard to say. They had prototyped V.A.T.S for Witcher 3 . but they cut it from the game.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel, this is what im saying. There is 0 reason for them to re-reveal Cyberpunk 2077 with small teaser

You mean like TW3 case where they teased it year before actual proper information dump ?

You don't seem to realize why there are doing what they are doing. You should go and check last 2 years of news before release of TW3. They build hype this way. You don't dump everything half a year before release for 4-5 years projects. Unless you are Blizzard or rockstar that is.

Quillon

Arcane
Just read the entire thread and Perkel is taking about an entirely different game named CB2077, CB probably stands for cyberbank or cyberbros or something(cyberboobs?) which is why he's expecting it to be turn-based and shit which is why the wild hunt wants to capture her.

Fallout 4's close to release revealing, showing good amount of gameplay etc and financial success afterwards could have affected how CDP would approach marketing for CP77. Bioware even showed less this close to supposed release of Androgayda.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The gaming world needs a scandal where Mike Pondsmith publicly disavows Cyberpunk 2077 after realizing that core gameplay and vision of the game changed radically after signing the contract where he granted the rights for the Cyberpunk franchise:

<< At first, they flew me once a month to Poland to get my feedback during pre-production of the game which made me confident that the soul and the tactical / lethality of Cyberpunk's combat would be preserved. So I signed the contract.
But as time moved on, I realized that CD Projekt Red became just another money-grabbing machine bent on yielding to lowest common denominator when regarding gaming consumer.
I contacted my lawyer trying to prevent the game from public release but unfortunately I was told the contract is vague enough regarding such issues and thus it will be an uphill battle for years to come.
Thus I request from my fans and the fans of the franchise to disregard the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game as it represents what is wrong with the nowadays gaming industry as a whole. >>

--
Mike Pondsmith

Paul_cz

Arcane
Perkel, this is what im saying. There is 0 reason for them to re-reveal Cyberpunk 2077 with small teaser

You mean like TW3 case where they teased it year before actual proper information dump ?

You don't seem to realize why there are doing what they are doing. You should go and check last 2 years of news before release of TW3. They build hype this way. You don't dump everything half a year before release for 4-5 years projects. Unless you are Blizzard or rockstar that is.
Afaik Iwinski or someone did actually express that they like how Bethesda did the marketing with Fallout 4, just reveal 6 months before release when the game is almost done, show footage that will be in the finished game, release on time.
But who knows if they will follow it, or go the old fashioned TW3 "hyping for years" route. That one seemed to work nice for them too with the exception of the whole downgrade bullshit.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
ssRl0sm.png

in this pic there is the word TACTICAL so all my fears are put to rest. :) :) :)

Perkel

Arcane

Afaik Iwinski or someone did actually express that they like how Bethesda did the marketing with Fallout 4, just reveal 6 months before release when the game is almost done, show footage that will be in the finished game, release on time.
But who knows if they will follow it, or go the old fashioned TW3 "hyping for years" route. That one seemed to work nice for them too with the exception of the whole downgrade bullshit.

he said that in context of becoming Blizzard/rockstar. They don't think they are at this place at the moment (duh)

Quillon

Arcane
Found that pic here some 10 pages back and posted on CP77 forum, guess its found its way back here.

Took a look at the rulebook today... well, if they aren't gonna make a pre-defined character with a set class, they are gonna need some miracle many miracles to pull it off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom