Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Stompa

Arcane
Not only that, but a flood of lethal computer viruses has meant people can no longer communicate over the net.

I hope this doesn't mean netrunning won't be in. Not having a hacking option in cyberpunk setting would be pretty dumb.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As long as the action is actually skill based and not "press A for awesome" popamole this has a good chance of being fun.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They boasted they are going to adapt the original ruleset to their game but also said that "dicerolls are superboring". There are, of course, ways to make it somewhat fun, but I'm not very optimistic, nor in belief that they actually want to make their ruleset adaptation strong enough. We'll see. I'd like to have my assumptions and expectations completely wrong with this one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pondscum (this is a term of endearment not a slur) seems optimistic. :bounce:

Plus it has ~Patrick K Mills~.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It will be a Mass Effect but on a Cyberpunk universe with a little more of RPG elements and decent writing, nothing more than it. Cd Projekct is trying to out Bioware since the beginning. I'm not expecting much for it but I just hope their action gameplay is actually decent this time, Witcher 1 QTE fights and Witcher 2 rolling machine were terrible.

How to speak a bunch without saying nothing at all about a game.

"The biggest battle we are having is we have to regress the technology enough to where we wouldn’t find a natural process of technological development," says Pondsmith, "where you are walking around with jet packs and flying cars and winged helmets. Lucky for us, we had a Corporate War that damn near destroyed most of the planet."

Not only that, but a flood of lethal computer viruses has meant people can no longer communicate over the net. In many ways, the tech of 2077 is less advanced than that of 2020, and this is a key to maintaining the cyberpunk feel according to Monnier.

"To keep the feeling of cyberpunk, you kinda have to keep things broken just enough. You have to keep the technology curve down to where it’s still people, interacting on a personal level."

This sounds so lame and ironic considering Pondsmith's claim that "they genuinely knew their stuff and were not just slapping a label on it." The need for regression sounds so gameplay-specific, it literally screams "we want to do a game with X and Y and Cyberpunk 2020 has such a different scope, but it sounds cool so we're trimming it down".

Pondsmith is either getting conned real good or getting real good money.

Cyperpunk is destined to be DOA anyway. I mean, fucking cyberpunk, now in the 21st century. Why would anyone care about this drug punk junkie teeny shit?

You don't get cyberpunk at all so why don't you take your mind off of it?

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
367257.jpg

Lame. Will there be chicks with rocket launchers for tits?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It will be a Mass Effect but on a Cyberpunk universe with a little more of RPG elements and decent writing, nothing more than it.
And that would be great. Because ME would have been a good action-RPG with some more RPG elements and better writing. I don't want a hardcore cRPG Cyberpunk game at any cost. If they can make a good action RPG, I will be satisfied.

Alonebadman

Educated
It's not difficult to see technological stalemate up to a certain point. The corporations exert a massive control in 2020 and generally dictate the rate of technological progress. Although a massive war setting things back a hundred years is a mixed bag. Besides, people in the 50s thought we'd be living on the moon, flying hover cars and having horrible taste in fashion. It's not hard to see a society remaining culturally stagnant as well. But lack of game play and CD Project's mixed game play from Der Hexer 1/2 doesn't spell well for the mechanics. I don't mind slashing some of the table top mechanics because not all systems translate well into video games.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It will be a Mass Effect but on a Cyberpunk universe with a little more of RPG elements and decent writing, nothing more than it.
And that would be great. Because ME would have been a good action-RPG with some more RPG elements and better writing. I don't want a hardcore cRPG Cyberpunk game at any cost. If they can make a good action RPG, I will be satisfied.
I really don't care if they want or not to be faithful to the rules I just hope they try to open it up a little bit, walking around a city with a Blade Runner type aesthetic would be cool . Watching Pondsmith interviews, he knows his shit so I, at least, expect the atmosphere to be really good. I just think Cd Projeckt weakness is that they really didn't knew what they wanted to do with the Witcher games in a gameplay wise, it was like:
Developer 1: Hey we created a nice world with an interesting story and atmosphere.
Developer 2: We still need to make the gameplay...
Developer 1:Who cares, make any random crap and that is enough.
Their talking of having fixed the combat in Witcher 3, at least give a little of hope of them paying more attention on the gameplay. Witcher 1 QTE combat and Witcher 2 Igni spam/bomb spam or let's kill all enemies and make the player watching Geralt doing all this crazy shit without any input was terrible. If they actually do a decent action/RPG hybrid with Cyberpunk, I'm in.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Apparently there is an article on Cyberpunk 2077 in the last month issue of Play (issue 237). Anyone found scans?

bonescraper

It would be great if it was like Deus Ex or Human Revolution. If it's Mass Effect with a cyber twist then they can shove it up their ass for all i care.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
So, and what's the difference to DX3? Can't get interested if even they don't make the effort to explain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, because it's open world. CD Projekt have long since decided to set their sights higher than being the Polish Bioware.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No need for a troll icon. That's exactly what every large CRPG developer wants to be now. Skyrim was a game changer.

Kanedias

Savant
I think CDP is more about competing with Bioware rather than trying to emulate Bethesda.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No need for a troll icon. That's exactly what every large CRPG developer wants to be now. Skyrim was a game changer.

And it's funny how they never learn. We had Diablo killers, we had WOW killers, now we're having Skyrim killers.
Too bad they won't really kill anything except maybe a company or two. Or maybe that's for the best.

It just sold boatloads, wasn't fundamentally any different from Oblivion. Not something I would aspire to. What I'm saying is they still aspire to be popamole arpg developer. They just choose to emulate more successful popamole.

Oh wait... that was sarcasm, wasn't it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

And it's funny how they never learn. We had Diablo killers, we had WOW killers, now we're having Skyrim killers.

True, but the difference is that, being in Poland, CDP don't actually need to sell Skyrim numbers to make a boatload of money (relatively speaking) so they're not likely to outright fail by their standards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom