Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt tackles The Witcher 3 downgrade issue head on - eurogamer article

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There Stands the Grass

Even if I cared about CDPR sales, I'd still call it a weak excuse. Implement two renderers - one for consoles (preset low quality/high performance) and one for PC (adjustable quality with ultra being equal to pre-downgrade promos). Problem solved.

There is nothing wrong with renderer. In fact it is way better than 2013 one.
Downgrade is reduced polycount, draw distance, particle effects, lack of tesselation etc.

their render is really good. It handles well contrast which isn't something easy to do:

why do you quote me faggot? i did not say that. i couldnt care less about some shitty renderers when that game has much bigger gameplay issues

Beowulf

Arcane
With new patch the blood on the water is back. Now if either them, or some modders will swap green blob grass textures to some decent ones, I will be more than happy with what I see. Surprisingly, there is some decent looking grass and weeds every now and than, but the game throws mostly this green blob at you at every corner.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
My only complaint about the technical aspect of the game is about the trees. They're beautiful, but they sway around like epilepsy-stricken monkeys with rubber for bones, as if cyclically hit by 120Kmh gusts of wind.

Other than that, the game IS extremely beautifully built (yeah, despite the downgrade, so fuck consolefags, after all).

Gerrard

Arcane
No matter what you do with the grass, unless they actually make it cast shadows it will look like shit.

My only complaint about the technical aspect of the game is about the trees. They're beautiful, but they sway around like epilepsy-stricken monkeys with rubber for bones, as if cyclically hit by 120Kmh gusts of wind.

Other than that, the game IS extremely beautifully built (yeah, despite the downgrade, so fuck consolefags, after all).
They really did go overboard with the swaying trees; instead of an understated effect that happens every once in awhile it's in your face all the time, diminishing the effect tenfold. As the saying goes, less is often more.

the_1990

Educated
I'm getting tred of hearing about this issue all over the web. The game still looks amazing, so waht if the graphics have been downgraded a bit? The main focus of the game, what CDPR has most entusiastically trupeted, is the non-linear, choice-driven story: that's what they want us to focus on, that's what we all should focus on. But instead people are nitpicking screenshots and videos, to complain about a moderate graphics downgrade.

Seriously guys; CDPR is doing sooo much cool stuff; DRM-free distribution via GOG, 16 FREE DLCS FFS! How do you think they feel, after having done so much for gamers to see people come out with all this sensationalist BS? "CDPR have betrayed us!" "CDPR are as bad as EA, UBISOFT... etc..."

It's important to remember that part of the reason why so many other companies adopt shit anti-consumer practices is because they feel gamers are childish, entitled and will always throw tantrums about the most insignifigant nonsense, all the while ignoring the hard work put into creating an otherwise we-crafted gaming experience. I'm not saying that justifies anti-consumer attitudes by these companies, but it does somewhat explain them.

CDPR has worked hard to set itself apart in terms of positive buisiness practices, I'm not saying that will end because of this, but poking and prodding them over meaningless BS is a good way to damage the goodwill between CDPR and their fans.

When a companies pros so vastly outweigh the cons, the best thing to do is make i worth their while. It's far easier for a company to be an EA than a CDPR. I't in our interest to make sure CDPR dosen't start thinking it's not worth the effort, and the best way to do that? Give em a pass on the little stuff and don't loose sight of the big-picture.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Hi, CDPRed worker. Don't worry. We judge only RPGs.

And TW3 isn't one. :troll:

the_1990

Educated
I just don't want CDPR to say:

"We break our backs trying to bring you an incredible experience in open-world, player driven non-linear story telling and you decide to compare us to EA and UBI? Fine: no more free DLC, non-DRM distribution and general consumer-friendly awesomeness 4 u!"

Not saying CDPR would do that, but these nitpicky attitudes arent helping.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Seriously guys; CDPR is doing sooo much cool stuff; DRM-free distribution via GOG
One could argue that it's GOG that does cool stuff here, but OK. Credit where credit is due: CDPR are still bros in this regard.

16 FREE DLCS FFS! ... CDPR have betrayed us!"
You know what's funny? In 2007 when they simply released a damn good RPG without false promises, endless hype-building and marketing bullshit (like free DLCs, yeah) nobody was saying "CDPR have betrayed us."

Beowulf

Arcane
And what they exactly did for gamers? They developed a product and were (and still are) actively trying to sell it. While I think that W3 is a decent game, as I'm not yet bored enough to stop playing it, but their PR practices resemble strongly that of the aforementioned big players - EA and Ubi.
Game will stand or fail on its own merits, but as a company the gravitate strongly to the direction of EA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom