Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card game recommendation that's not TCG?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Long story short I want to play a card game that doesn't require an investment other than initial purchase and I can fire, play a game against decent AI/opponents and close it within 15 minutes. MTG, Hearthstone or Infinity Wars are out of question. Living card games may be considered.

I was thinking going emulators and fire up the old Mahvel vs Capcom : Card Fighters for Neogeo Pocket, but there's no arena/skirmish mode :(

I own a Galaxy Tab 3 but can also run Android games on desktop (trade secrets ;)).

Suggestions?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Forge for free MTG with AI or XMage for free MTG with humans or (crappier) AI. Both have rule enforcement.
There are a couple of other programs that support several games, but obviously no rule enforcement and it's likely more difficult to find who to play with.

Also:
Race For The Galaxy AI: http://keldon.net/rftg/
Blue Moon AI: http://keldon.net/bluemoon/
Have not tried these, don't even really know the games, I just have them on my backlog.

I might be available to play MTG over XMage if you're interested. Note that I'm a pretty crappy player, though.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I have Tabletop Simulator and Vassal and there's a lot of games already available, from Netrunner to Pixel Tactics or Yomi, but I don't want to have to go online and find someone to play a match.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I can come back to MTG.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Magic the Gathering: Shandalar. Best single-player TCG I ever played.
Stack up on black lotus and moxes, proceed to faceroll game.

But I think I've played better TCG in consoles tho. MvC for example.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I presume from the discussion that we're talking on the tablet/PC, but just in case IRL games are also appreciated, I've heard good things about Netrunner and have personally have fun with Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Both games have the advantage of being perfectly playable and fun with the base game, but expandable if you so choose.

As for tablet-games, have you tried Ascension? I recall having plenty of fun with that, and it is inexpensive. It does have some slight TCG-elements to it, but only inso far as you have to select how many expansions (which cost very little) you own before searching for games.

Also, Brian Kibler.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I was thinking about Mage Knight for a while, but I don't have enough space to play it. Pathfinder Card Game is coming for PC and it's part of the reason why the itch is back. The other half is Androidminion.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I was thinking about Mage Knight for a while, but I don't have enough space to play it. Pathfinder Card Game is coming for PC and it's part of the reason why the itch is back.

I thought it was only coming for tablets?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, if you like Dominion there's Androminion on Android which has everything except the art, but I guess who cares about that crappy art anyway. I don't like Dominion that much, but it's more entertaining as a quick game on your phone than Angry Birds, I guess.

oooh!!!! That Forge game looks sweet. Shame they can't use any of the art.

What do you mean? You can download the card pictures, same for XMage.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I was thinking about Mage Knight for a while, but I don't have enough space to play it. Pathfinder Card Game is coming for PC and it's part of the reason why the itch is back.

I thought it was only coming for tablets?
It can be a development screenshot, but I'll be quite disappointed if they aren't building it in a multiplatform engine that allows PC.

1937474_10152459729007530_7278203984192288831_n.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What do you mean? You can download the card pictures, same for XMage.

Where can you download that? I didn't see any link mentioning that on the Forge page.

Get the program, it has a content downloader option.
I use this, though: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14626 because the content downloader from Forge can take a couple of weeks before it gets the latest cards.
And be sure to set the pictures folder in the forge.profile file from the Forge folder if you don't want your card pictures buried in god knows what folder on C:

Quatlo

Arcane
Wait, Mage Knight evolved from tabletop wargame into cardgame? Can I use my old miniatures in that somehow?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Wait, Mage Knight evolved from tabletop wargame into cardgame? Can I use my old miniatures in that somehow?
Not really, they only use the setup and made a whole exploration/deckbuilding/hand management boardgame.
Mage_Knight_Solo.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm too late but I would recommend Star Realms over Ascension. It is the same general idea (deckbuilding), but has more player interaction (you chip at your opponent hitpoints instead of acquiring victory points. No hidden victory point nonsense + you can easily view all the cards in your opponent draw pile, discard, and yours instead of having to review the log), which make the games more tense (trying to fend off the opponent cheap attack card rush while you are setting up a high cost card late game deck).

Summoner Wars is pretty solid. I played the game a lot with my wife. There are some initial flaws that can drive away some players (you have a very strong incentive not to field common units, and even to cull your own commons. Some event cards, like magic drain is overpowered), but otherwise, the game is really well done, and usually pretty tense.

Mage Knight is cool(puzzle RPG more or less, with a small touch of deckbuilding), I wish there was a digital port of the game...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You can play Mage Knight on Vassal, and probably soon on Tabletop Simulator.

I have played my fair share of Summoner Wars on Vassal, but the game somehow broke for me when someone mentioned it was an attrition-fest. Benders were awesome tho, pushing the stunner into 3 enemies, steal their common bodyguards then FLAY DEM MINDS.

I'll try Star Realms then, glad you recommended it.

Yomi and Puzzle Strike would be awesome go-to games if Sirlin wasn't a fucking scroorge with the digital character purchases or $10 subscription.

:keepmymoney:

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After giving it a few more plays, I think Ascension has its merits too :
The game is a bit less swingy than Star Realms (which can be a good or bad things, depending on your stance about randomness). The card play is a bit more interesting in Ascension (there are a bit more things you can do after having purchasing the cards, while Star Realms cards are a bit straightforward).
I still prefer the dynamics and trade offs of Star Realms (do you acquire a strong card that is not from your dominant color, at the risk of diluting your deck?), but it's a close call between these games.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Apparently Sirlin descroorged a little bit and now you can buy a set pack for $15. Each of the games has 2 sets (base and expansion) so it's a reasonable price.

Last edited:

da_rays

Augur
I was gonna tell you about OCTGN , but its basically the same thing as Vassal and Xmage i guess , you get 1 free card game from the creator , and you can load various card game / LCG and the likes. Gonna vouch for netrunner also , got it here at home , really nice game. Quick to pick up & play. Maybe its not what your looking for , but there is a nice selection of card games. 4 players Warhammer invasion is really something ^^ The VS system card game is something to look into if you like the flavor.

PS: they also have the VS system With marvel in game format on DS and PSP.

PS2: Dammit , Summoners wars look very nice , gonna try that out.

Touhou....Divinity....Tex Murphy....shadowgate....and now this....

I need to get rid of some devices or clones myself.

PS3: You surely know about it , and its no card game , but Small world 2 is available for android . you can start game play a turn , go do something else , and get back to it after your opponement got their turn played .

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I played some SW2 but not on phone because the UI scales terribly. Nuroshima Hex is cool too, except the AI is a fucking cheater on Hard, and Medium is too easy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom