Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can you suggest me the best hack n slash on the market?

Mazisky

Magister
Something Diablo-like and possibily modern

PS: For comparison, my favourites were Diablo2\Titan Quest but i quite liked Diablo3 and Torchlight 2 also

gestalt11

Arbiter
Grim Dawn is modern and due for an expansion in about 3 months and is made by key Titan Quest guys and even uses an updated version of the Titan Quest engine. So that is your best bet. Otherwise try Path Of Exiles but the RPG system in that is considerably different than Diablo2/TQ skill trees+attributes.

Mustawd

Titan Quest was horrible though. Why are you even bringing them up? Horribly boring.

This game was such a chore to finish it literally felt like my second job. But after getting 5 hours in, I just had to beat it. I blame my completionist tendencies. The worst part is that I basically played the first 5 hours over and over and over again. That's how copypasta this thing is.

And the end game? Jesus F Christ. I've never seen so much HP bloat in my life. It was apparently made even harder for the version on Steam. Finally beat it after my stock of Mana and Health potions went down to 15 or so from the original 100. And the ending was so fucking underwhelming. I mean it's an ARPG, but for the sheer boredom in finishing this thing you'd think the devs would offer to come over and suck your dick or something.

Well congrats Titan Quest. You have broken my 8 month long ARPG fever. I played 56 hours of Torchlight and it was so fun. I replayed Diablo and still had tons of entertainment. I even enjoyed the art in Bastion. But you take the cake Titan Quest. You wasted 52 hours of my precious time and took advantage of my completion tendencies. I don't think I'll be playing an ARPG anytime in the next couple of months. Thanks.

But yes TL2 and PoE are my recommendations as well. Never played Grim Dawn, but it looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Titan Quest was horrible though. Why are you even bringing them up? Horribly boring.

This game was such a chore to finish it literally felt like my second job. But after getting 5 hours in, I just had to beat it. I blame my completionist tendencies. The worst part is that I basically played the first 5 hours over and over and over again. That's how copypasta this thing is.

And the end game? Jesus F Christ. I've never seen so much HP bloat in my life. It was apparently made even harder for the version on Steam. Finally beat it after my stock of Mana and Health potions went down to 15 or so from the original 100. And the ending was so fucking underwhelming. I mean it's an ARPG, but for the sheer boredom in finishing this thing you'd think the devs would offer to come over and suck your dick or something.

Well congrats Titan Quest. You have broken my 8 month long ARPG fever. I played 56 hours of Torchlight and it was so fun. I replayed Diablo and still had tons of entertainment. I even enjoyed the art in Bastion. But you take the cake Titan Quest. You wasted 52 hours of my precious time and took advantage of my completion tendencies. I don't think I'll be playing an ARPG anytime in the next couple of months. Thanks.

Yeah, I played about halfway through (co-op even) and just couldn't finish it. Did not enjoy the skill system and too much boring copy paste combat.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Grim Dawn and Path of Exile seem like the only two real choices.

Grim Dawn is alright, it has the same basic system as Titan Quest. You pick two classes, and it's primary based around stacking passives and spamming 1 or 2 maxed-out abilities. The constellation system is poorly designed though and a nightmare to sift through and try to plan anything with.

Path of Exile has a similar problem with it's Giant Skill Tree of Doom. The game is semi-classless; there's only one ginormous skill tree and your starting class just determines your starting spot on the board. Spells and special attacks are random drops from enemies; stats determine what you can use. The skill board is ridiculously huge and takes a lot of time to figure out if you want to plan a build. I did like how your spells level up as you use them though.

Mazisky

Magister
hey guys, I've just bought Grim Dawn, did almost all the first part (i'm lvl 14). I like it, no doubt, it's very similar to Titan Quest, i'm trying a pet build and have already 3 different pets.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the setting, altough is pretty grim and atmospheric, i would prefere a classic fantasy one.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Path of Exile, Grim Dawn have already been mentioned and are probably your best bet. But keep an eye on Wolcen it's in early access right now and looks beautiful it's also open world.

I'm playing Sacred 2 which is an open world arpg, it's decent definitely check it out but there are better ones out there.

Some others:
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2
Ember
Victor Vran
Van Helsing
Titan Quest
Sacred 1
Bards Tale
Dungeon Siege

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
hey guys, I've just bought Grim Dawn, did almost all the first part (i'm lvl 14). I like it, no doubt, it's very similar to Titan Quest, i'm trying a pet build and have already 3 different pets.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the setting, altough is pretty grim and atmospheric, i would prefere a classic fantasy one.

Nice. What class setup did you go with?

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked Victor Vran.
I played that a little too, haven't finished it yet though. The combat engine is very good (timing attacks, free aiming with shooting, jumping, dodging) and carries an otherwise mediocre game. If only it didn't have level scaling.

Aothan

Magister
yes I've been meaning to try the new hack n slash games, Wolcen and Victor Vran, games which from what I recall came and went without much attention. I'm also playing Grim Dawn presently which led me to realise I did not get around to playing Sacred 2 back in the day due to computer hardware iirc and the Seraphim's default 'outfit', hopefully there are mods for that by now

Mazisky

Magister

Occultist main and secondary Shaman, i'm doing all pet skills and carrying ranged weapons. Pets can deal serious dmg and tank\kill enemies alone when upgraded.

Seems like Iron Lore is the only one capable to make a classic hack n slash with a nice single player experience.

I guess we'll have to wait their next game or Diablo 4 next

PS: PoE seems like more multiplayer focused

gestalt11

Arbiter

Occultist main and secondary Shaman, i'm doing all pet skills and carrying ranged weapons. Pets can deal serious dmg and tank\kill enemies alone when upgraded.

Seems like Iron Lore is the only one capable to make a classic hack n slash with a nice single player experience.

I guess we'll have to wait their next game or Diablo 4 next

PS: PoE seems like more multiplayer focused

Just be aware that many of the best pets are actually on items. Check the forums for a few of the current high end pet builds as they also leverage items and buffs.

Humanophage

Arcane
I have just deleted Grim Dawn because it was getting time-consuming and distracting, even though it is acceptable as a way to concentrate while listening to audiobooks.

I disagree that it is one-button spam - it's what you make of it. I tried to make a character with diverse but not overlapping skills, and ended up using the following spells, each with their own button:
- Grenade (right mouse button). Flexible ranged AoE with a lot of caveats (almost endless range and a lot of damage, but can bounce off or get blocked). Has a healing spell tied to it. Cooldown: ~2 seconds.
- Demon breath (space). Less damage than the grenade, but does not get stopped by enemies and can be alternated with the grenade. Skill granted by an item. Cooldown: ~5 seconds.
- Self-healing 1 (additional mouse button). Heals about ~25% of your health and gives you poison resistance.
- Self-healing 2 (E). Heals about 15% of your health and your pets' health, a skill granted by an item.
- AoE debuff, slowdown (1). Slows down enemies and lowers their resistance. My only regularly used skill without a cooldown.
- AoE stun (2). Very useful for large groups.
- Place a mortar that deals AoE damage and shoots at enemies (3). Great for luring out distant enemies and highlighting mobs that are less visible.
- Anti-resistance mines (4). A bunch of mines you throw to lower enemy resistance to some of my primary damage types (fire, chaos) and deal DoT.
- Different summons (Q, A, D). Your pets get killed regularly, so you need to re-summon them often, especially in boss fights.
- The health potion button (R).

So I was regularly using 8 buttons, plus buttons for re-summoning and the potion. I didn't use the default attack at all because it interferes with movement. The fact that my damage came in large spikes meant I could run around without significantly lowering my damage output. Overall, I was reminded of my character in SWTOR, which was probably using about 15 buttons in interesting sequences and which was quite dominating in PvP.

I should add that the game was far too easy, though I have only played on Veteran, and I imagine it would get hardcore at Ultimate. I deleted the save games to discourage re-installation. R.I.P., Humakt, level 53 Pyromancer.

I played Path of Exile a couple of years ago; it was a decent game and I was impressed by the skill system. I generally dislike other Diablo-like games like Sacred or Titan Quest, which seem offensively dumb, though I enjoyed Nox and Revenant a long time ago.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
You might also want to check out Inquisitor I think graphically it's very close to the early Diablo games. I've never played it but it looks like a hack n slash you can play as a paladin, thief or priest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom