Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Campaign Journal: The Sleeping Beauty (Pathfinder)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
More good stuff, Havoc. Again, the attention to detail is great, for example with the fallen second level of the prison and how you describe exactly where the rubble has formed, how the new inhabitants use/deal with that, etc. I wonder, is this all from something you're taking inspiration from or is it all your own creation? Keep coming up with these kinds of details. They can make all the difference with the players and their interest, as opposed to describing every room as just a 10' square.

Also, talk over some of the rules mistakes you're making. Explain to them that you're making and are going to continue to make every effort to stick to the rules as closely as possible, but sometimes when you're in the middle of a heated battle it's more important to keep the flow going, hence the ad-libbing. I think you're doing that fairly. They should understand.

Keep it going!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
More good stuff, Havoc. Again, the attention to detail is great, for example with the fallen second level of the prison and how you describe exactly where the rubble has formed, how the new inhabitants use/deal with that, etc. I wonder, is this all from something you're taking inspiration from or is it all your own creation? Keep coming up with these kinds of details. They can make all the difference with the players and their interest, as opposed to describing every room as just a 10' square.

Also, talk over some of the rules mistakes you're making. Explain to them that you're making and are going to continue to make every effort to stick to the rules as closely as possible, but sometimes when you're in the middle of a heated battle it's more important to keep the flow going, hence the ad-libbing. I think you're doing that fairly. They should understand.

Keep it going!

I doubt I took any inspiration, at least not consciously. Officially the main floor was from Mines of Karak, just that. I didn't use the second floor or any other map from that adventure. I just looked at the map and added stuff to it. "Hmm, there are stairs to other levels... I don't want to make this place even more big as it is... the second floor collapsed? Okay. This will be fine. Why the hobgoblins didn't find what they're looking for? They need to be here for at least 3 weeks..." and it went from that. Details I came up with:
- Half of the main floor was in rubble (the room with the mage). The hobgoblins took care of that rubble in those 3 weeks.
- They needed to hunt, so after digging out the old kitchen, they used it as it supposed to. When the party comes, the hobgoblins were after dinner.
- The hobgoblin was in the toilet for a joke, but seeing they hunted all the time, you could explain his diarrhea from the meat.
- The Raumathri used a lot things to experiment. The leader wanted this cold and dark place to have some color. So he created magical trees that don't need sun to grow.
- Still, he loved to experiment, so he had one - living tree. This creature lived since then and will still.
- The hobgoblin mage found the tree that moved and tried to attack him, so he roasted it with fire, but it wasn't enough. They decided to leave it and not touch it. It worked.
- The ogres were used to carry rubble, but when they dig up the mage room, they started rebelling and acting weird - that's why they were locked in the storage.
- A lot of coal was left, so the hobgoblin used it for repairing swords and armor, to heat the furnaces.
- If the party would check the site with invisibility, they would see the hobgoblin play some card games in the barracks and fortifications.
And many more. For me, it must make sense or else it isn't worth it. I don't make quests for shit and giggles or dungeons that are just encounter after encounter of different creatures that shouldn't live next to each other. Well, at least I try to make it make sense. ;)

Yeah, I explained to them about homeruling on the spot to move the action along. I hope they understand.

Next session will be probably Sunday. The chapter will end in 1-2 sessions. I don't want it to stretch too much.

Last edited:

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Another great one. You could really upload these on a blog, or a similar site for a quick and easy access and to actually make this into a chronicle of sorts.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Chapter I
ulDGX9yl.jpg

Session 8: This Mine of War

The party decided to move on. Hobrek would stay in the prison for a day, taking care for the soldiers and travel with them to White Grave. The party's next goal was Annam All-Father's Temple, three days from their place. It was a long journey. The first day, they encountered hill giants. Three to be exact. The group decided to not engage and just try to bypass them. It almost failed, when the party hid behind a snow dune. One of the giant saw footprints, but was quickly interrupted by the two others. The group heard something about being lost and fault going from one giant to another. They decided to use this as a distraction and leave. The giants in the mean time, beat the shit out of each other.

The third day wasn't an easy walk. Troll saw them from the mountain and started hurling giant rocks that when hit the snow, started to form a giant snowball of doom. You can imagine this as cartoonish as you like, because it was just like that. The party, except for one, escaped their impending doom. Turik was caught and taken many meters down the mountain. Not wanting to leave a comrade behind, they decided to ran to his help, but the troll were behind them. The battle was over pretty quick, just in time for Turik to dig himself out from under the snow. The party had a nice laugh with the dwarf, about him being a snowman.

3QvJwLOl.jpg

The temple was ahead, at the top of the mountain. No giants in sight, which was pretty strange, but they decided to investigate. First thing they saw, was a giant ice doorway. For some reason, it got pretty cold and they saw wind blowing from the temple inside, taking snow with it. They entered the icy halls. Many upon many giant runes were inscribed on the walls, each telling stories, signing praises to Annam All-Father. Of course, no other giants were mentioned, just the Frost ones. The party also saw that the giants had to be masters of ice-sculpting, because they made, behind the ice, scenes, pictures and statues that feel like they were three dimensional (it was like those holographic pictures. Moving your head or the source of light, made the scene move), like they were real. After admiring the place, they saw hobgoblin bodies on the way. Many were killed by giants' weapons, just like the one Havi is using, but no giant in sight. They found one more, strange thing. One of the hobgoblins had his backpack ripped out from his lying down body and in it's place, a giant icicle formed. Detect magic indeed showed that it was magical in nature, but they couldn't specify what it was.

They moved on and it got even more colder. Soon they saw what was causing the icy winds. First it were giant figures that didn't move and when they got close, they were actually frost giants... frozen in ice. Eight giants frozen, unmoving. They didn't know if they were alive, but what did catch their eye was the scene the giants made before being frozen. One of them was holding a backpack with a destroyed wooden case, it looked like he gave something to his leader, who had a strange item in his hand. A piece of ice that emanated powerful magic that blinded Garen and Alton, who used Detect Magic. They couldn't understand what it was nor they didn't heard about such thing, but they knew this was a bad thing to get close to. Then they found two of the remaining 3 soldiers (plus the captain). One soldier was sitting and the other looked scared with his hand stretching to the first. It looked like he tried to help him escape the ice, because it formed around them, pretty quickly. Havi wanted to save the men or at least get their bodies, so he used his torch, which had it's fire almost gone, because of the cold winds, to try melt the ice. Unfortunately, the ice didn't even give a drop of water, but then Havi saw that his torch was stuck. He touched the ice with the torch and the ice started forming, rather quickly around it. Scared for their lives, the party checked their feet. Ice was forming around them also. After discussing it, they decided to leave, because they couldn't do anything to it now.

3wJnsnql.jpg

The party moved on to the next place. The days were rough and they had to stay inside a cave for three days, just to move the next three days to the next place - the Unknown Tower. When they climbed a nearby mountain, they saw their goal. A black spot in the distance with a bridge and narrow passage to it. Going from under the tower, would mean a lot of climbing, so they went with the narrow canyon. Here (thanks to this little fucking midget's rolls) they spotted something strange, inside the walls, hidden under snow. Alton deduced that they had to be ice creatures, made entirely out of ice (Ice Elementals, but he failed his roll). They didn't want to engage, so Havi found a small ice ledge, they could walk on and bypass the danger. They went with his plan and the giant ice creatures didn't even budge.

riEdS6hl.jpg

After leaving the narrow passage, they finally reached their destination. A tower made entirely out of perfect stone slabs. No imperfections. Sharp edges. This place was brimming with magic, an aura that made the animals and the halfling happy about this place, but not the rest of the party. There was a problem, the bridge wasn't so perfect. It seems that whatever held the tower, didn't also hold the bridge. Most of it was gone, a hundred of meters down below. At top of that, a snowstorm was upon them since their encounter in the passage and the bridge was all icy. Turik stayed with the animals, while the rest stripped themselves out of gear and crawled on the bridge. Upon reaching the tower on the other side, they didn't see anything that could tell them how to access the place nor signs of the soldiers. Two giant slabs and other around, looked like an entrance, but that's about it. They couldn't know what this place was or even how to search for clues. They decided to leave, but during this, Crom smelled something familiar on the bridge. The wind was blowing, at last, towards him. They decide to investigate the bridge and they found a single glove that had symbols of Nathoud on it. One of the soldiers had to fall down. They hoped it wasn't the captain, because it could meant both of the last soldiers are dead. "He must be in the Circle of Auril."

hnDlZvll.jpg

The journey went well, without any hiccups. The circle itself was in some kind of valley under a single mountain. Long ago, this had to be a massive worship place, because stones reached around the mountain. Sadly, most of it is destroyed, under the snow or worse. The only thing that survived, was the inner most circle. Garen wasn't happy about this place, not even a little. It was irritating him (this was an unholy place). The party asked him and Turik to stay behind and guard the animals, while the rest investigated. No signs of life. No signs of battle. They couldn't find anything, but then Alton saw somebody moving towards them. This beautiful woman of white skin, clothes made of ice, fully white eyes and black as her heart hair, didn't walk, but stood on snow, that moved towards them. The party felt something moving underground. It had to be a massive creature. The woman asked them "What are you searching for here, Warms?" and from here on out, she called them all the permutations of warm or warmblooded.

hPFAtdpl.jpg

They started asking her about the captain, but it soon was clear to Alton, that she knew something. "No warmy was here for months, but you." "But maybe around the place, no?" She played with them some more, but didn't reveal anything. The party was convinced that she knew something and maybe the captain was still alive. What they heard from here wasn't very pretty. A prophecy.

Your times come to an end. The Ever Winter comes and you will have nowhere to hide. The signs are everywhere and this Lover of Ice is pleased, because soon you'll be dead.

The party decided to leave. They relayed the information to the rest of the party and went to White Grave. The journey was safe, but long. When they arrived, they saw almost all fires on the walls gone, except for one that was magical, thanks to Yesslick. Turik was scared that something could have happened, so they stepped up and ran to the gates. The dwarf took out a special horn, that was hidden beneath the snow and in a secret spot in the walls. He blew it near the gate, but it didn't gave out any sound, but made the wall move. "This will not last long. Quickly, inside!" The courtyard was completely empty, not a living soul or any bodies. They moved to the main gates, where a dwarf was sitting in one of the arrow slits. The gates were opened for them. Three dwarves were guarding the gate on the orders of the king.

Sg6TTiFl.jpg

They didn't explain the whole situation. In short, they were attacked by orcs, hobgoblins and creatures from the Underdark, when the mining party was coming from the mines. Bodies upon bodies were on the platform, and then the attack happened. The king ordered the gates to be locked and everybody on the outside, inside. They couldn't afford an attack from two sides. They also said that the fighting still occurs near the hole with the crane and troll. Turik took two men with him, the third was left to check for anybody coming to the gates. The party moved behind. The battle was mostly won and with the aid of the adventurers it was a sure win. During this battle, they saw the hidden powers of the king. When a group of giant spiders and underground reptiles moved on to a group of civilians, he stood before them. His eye-patch fell down, revealing an eye that was of ice. He shouted and from his mouth, ice breath came forth, freezing the enemies. "A dragon!?" they party shouted. Nobody in the fortress was surprised by what they saw.

Turik and the party reunited with Yesslick and Domas. Also they saw the soldiers and Hobrek, the men were helping the dwarves defend. The situation of explained further. The platform was to be sent thrice. Once for the resources and twice for the dwarves, but when the second one came to the top, they saw only bodies, all of 50 dwarves, all dead. Then the attack happened. Hobgoblins and orcs riding spiders on the walls of the hole and walls breaking for more enemies to come out from the hidden tunnels. It was an all-out attack, but they didn't get anything from this. Then they heard a dwarf come with dire news. They found a hole in the treasury, somebody dig a passage and took some of the hoarded treasure. The battle was going for hours, so that meant the thieves were long gone. The tunnel was to be collapsed with the rest that they made. Turik was sent on a hunting party, to check for any surviving or hidden enemies in the fortress. The king asked the party for a talk, because he had to explain everything to them. Yesslick wanted a private talk, before they move to the throne room. The party obliged and talked in their old room.

Here Yesslick told them, that he found out Alton was searching for information about the king. He wanted to explain why there's so little to none information about Domas, because the party deserved to know this. Domas was the adopted son of Ulric III. He was once known as The Elder One, a dwarf with pure white hair and beard that killed his own tribe. Nobody stood in his way, if they didn't want to be killed by him. During of the kings journeys, they found The Elder One lying in the snow, almost dead, with a giant with a cracked skull with an embedded axe in the forehead. The king, that had a heart so forgiving and loving, he could forgive a duergar, told Turik, that was just a young warrior then, to take him to the fortress. There he was unconscious for three days and when he woke up, the first thing he saw was Ingra. When Turik, who was outside, heard a scream, he came inside to see Ingra being strangled by the grey dwarf. In anger, he was struck down by Turik, but was stop before killing him by the king. They still wanted him gone or dead, but the king didn't want to hear any of it. He decided imprisonment. For years, the king visited the prison cell, that was guarded by at least ten dwarves. Here he talked with the Elder. After a while, he wanted private conversations, so only the king and prisoner were alone in the prison. Turik once heard what they were talking about. The king made a deal to the dwarf. "When there'll be an attack on my fortress, I'll give you a weapon. If you defend my people, you'll be let go. No strings attached." and the dwarf laughed at the king "Give me a weapon?! You old fool! You must be joking! The moment I'll be set free from these chains, I'll be long gone and with a weapon!" Ulric smiled to him. "I know you'll do no such thing." This was couple of days before a giant troll attack on the fortress. What the king said, came true. The Elder was given a weapon on the battlefield and fought for the dwarves, killing many trolls and defending the weak. After the battle, the king gave his word. "You can go." he said and the Elder left, but after couple of days returned, just to leave again. This happened many times during a year, before he stopped leaving the fortress and stayed to help. Unfortunately, the king was a very old dwarf and soon left the world, but not before telling his son Babdar, the soon-to-be king, to love his people, even such as the Elder. He wasn't so forgiving or loving. Babdar used the dwarf. He sent him on suicide mission after suicide mission, but the Elder always came back, accomplishing what he was ordered to. This infuriated the king, but this wasn't for long. The duergars attacked the fortress and entered the throne room. When Turik with Ingra came inside, they saw almost everyone dead, even the Elder. The king was dying and Ingra didn't have enough spell, because she used them during the battle in the fortress. The king told Turik "I want... I want to be last on the list... of people you raise. And him..." he pointed at the Elder "I want him to be first... he is my brother." Babdar died that day and Turik with Ingra heard from the living dwarf what happened. When the duergars attacked, a lot of spears were hurled at the people next to the throne. The Elder stood before his king and took a spear to the heart, dying instantly. When raising the dead came, it was too late for the king nor they had enough diamonds for this job. He died as a forgiving and loving person, something his father would be proud. The next problem was who will be the next king. The people unanimously decided that "Domas" will be the next king. After hearing this story, the party didn't want the king waiting, so they left with Yesslick.

rOq1dA2l.png

Here the king explained their situation. "Remember when I told you, that the dwarves left, because the white marble wasn't selling? This isn't true." then he showed a room next to the throne room. Full of graves inside the walls. The dwarves here died for the fortress, battling against horrors of duergar might. The gray dwarves wanted slaves and used beasts from the Underdark to do their bidding, the spider being their signature beast called Steeder. Their attacks came from their city, south in the Underdark, called Fraaszummdin. Slavery and beast trade was their main way of survival, but this attack that happened, doesn't look like something they would do. The treasury was the key to understanding what they stole, but that would take weeks or months. The king also explained his icy breath. "Dragon's blood. One of my ancestors was a white dragon. This is how much I know."

The party then explained their situation and what they found. The first being the ice shard, they found in the temple. They feared it could be an Aurilite artifact, but Yesslick told them it could not be. "Something that could freeze frost giants? There could be only on thing so powerful and connected to these mountains... the Orb of Ever Winter." He then told them about the legend.

"During time immemorial, thousands upon thousands of years ago, these mountains weren't all ice and snow. Ulutiu, the Lord of Ice, was a lover to Othea, the wife of Annam All-Father. This secret relationship went for ages, but during this time, Ulutiu didn't see that somebody loved him also. A white dragon named Valpora. She loved him blindly, but he didn't even notice. She wanted him to at least acknowledge her, so she created the Orb of Ever Winter for the Lord of Ice, so he could create ice realms where ever he would go. When he was given the orb, he looked with disinterest at the it, not even noticing the willful glares of the dragon. He then threw the orb to the side. No emotions, apathy. The dragon went made and flew after the orb, but it already broke on the mountains creating an snow realm that is now know as Icerim Mountains. She started collecting the pieces, wanting to reconstruct the orb and give him again. She cried and this wasn't any ordinary cry. She went for millenia. Thousands of years worth of tears created and ice realm in the mountains that's called the Ice Plateau, where now white dragons dwell, but this isn't the end of the legend. When the romantic relationship with Othea was discovered, Ulutiu decided to leave the world. This made the dragon even more depressed and her tears formed around her, creating another layer of ice over her. This was her ice prison and it is told, she's still there, under the ice and still crying. There must be some truth in the story, since the party found a piece of the Orb. The question is, where is the rest?

The conversation steered to the Auril. They told the dwarves about the person from the circle and the prophecy. "A woman? How did she look like?" and they told Yesslick, who wasn't happy to hear about her. Iyraclea, the Lover of Ice was given to the party. Another legend that was thought to be only that. A woman that is told to be once a Chosen of Auril. Stories about here go a thousand years back and her chosenhood was supposed to be taken away, because the circle went to ruin. Even Garen and Alton, upon hearing about her, weren't happy that the stories were true. The king apologized to the party, because he couldn't make the party, he promised when they left. The fortress now will go grieving and the dwarves will have to decide who will be raised from the grave and list will be long, but the chosen ones will be a few. The party agreed and left as soon as they could.

jZVjOHzl.jpg

When they reached Nathoud, they were excepted at the castle. Before they entered, they saw three people waiting for an audience. Two of them looked like mountain tribe leaders and third looked like a tuigan nomad. They didn't stay for chitchat and entered the throne room/dinning room. Here the prince was sitting next to his advisers, Aiden from Almorel, Ebeseu from Narfell and Izmael from Rashemen. They explained the situation to them. The orcs and hobgoblins hold their positions inside the mine and the numbers are in the hundreds. One hundred hobgoblins and another hundred of orcs inside the mines and the palisade. Also a warband of another hundred orcs coming to aid them. The prince wanted the mine and gave Captain Raymond the order to organize the war party, a hundred soldiers. Eb told the party that he will aid them with his people, another hundred warriors from the mountains of Narfell. Aiden greeted the party for the first time, but offered his services - potions for every single soldier and even the mountainfolk. Then dead silence was heard, when the party thought that Izmael Stayanoga would say something. The party knew that they didn't do her job, but it wasn't about that. They never came to her to apologize, that they won't be helping her and the spirits. The prince ordered the party to join the captain right now, but they wanted to explain what they found in the mountains, to which the prince replied "Not. Now." And at least some of them understood.

3ilQTNIl.jpg

The party moved with the army and Eb moved on a horse to meet with his men. The both giant groups meet next to the forest that hid the mine and they started planning. After couple of hours of discussion, they heard a commotion. Somebody wanted to enter the tent and talk, the Captain allowed it. It was a red wizard that announced himself as Edwin Thrul of the Red Wizards of Thay. He came here to offer his services, to which the captain heartily agreed, but was quickly put down by the mage's words. "I'm sorry, Captain, but I'm not here to talk to you, but to the adventurers. They will decide if I'll lend a hand here." this made the Raymond angry at the party, but he stayed quiet. Alton recognized symbols on the wizard's robe. He was a member of Guild of Foreign Trade an organization within the Red Wizards. Their only goal was commerce. They respected the laws of the land and never broke them, because their reputation would be at stake. Nor did they sell anything that could be used in a crime, like potion of invisibility. Edwin had a simple deal for the party. "I'll help you, under one condition. In the future, I'll come with another proposition. I want only for you to really think about it, not discard it outright." This was a great deal for the party. A wizard that was actually a master of Evocations (the boom-boom spells) and willing to help them for such little. Garen was suspicious, but hearing about the Guild of Foreign Trade, he was more willing to accept the offer, to the surprise of the mage. The party accepted and the mage joined the war effort.

aocc12vl.jpg

Did I say fuck the party rolls? Yes, I'll say again. Fuck them. The party decided to split up. Alton would use the Wand of Silent Image to create distractions on the field. Crom with the mage and couple of soldiers were going next to the palisade, for the mage to take down the siege machinery. Havi wanted to take care of the orc leader, while Garen would be an inspiration on the field. Everything went well for the party. At first, the armies were hit by the catapult, but the orcish army, that was standing before the gates, couldn't wait, even after getting orders by the hobgoblins. The ballistae had to shot at the orcs and humans. The rest had great rolls. Havi had a tough time, because he had to down the leader in three turns, he did it in the second to last attack, but not before getting his health to half hp (I had bad rolls, because I would killed him outright there). After the orc army was decimated, the palisade was next. The party entered the camp with the soldiers. While the latter were taking care of the hobgoblins, the adventurers attacked the leader. Again, I had fucking bad rolls. He was on a dire wolf with a lance. Everybody who knows DnD rules, know that this is fucking devastating when the guy charges at you and crits. You're instantly dead. 2x damage because you charge. 3x damage because of crit. It makes it 6x the damage and he would have something like 6d8+48. It would kill almost anybody on the team, if the roll was good. Unfortunately, it went good for the party and they killed him in the fifth round, but not before getting the DPS, Havi to half HP.

The party was victorious and so was the army. The orcs were mostly dead. Those who couldn't run, were taken hostage and probably let loose in some mountains and killed. Hobgoblins the same. The party looted some magic stuff from the leaders and left the rest for the army, because a lot of people died during the siege. Grieving families would want some compensation. Then the party searched the leader's tent. Here they found, in Goblin, messages to other hobgoblin groups. Apparently, the main part of the army was stationed in some kind of fortress deep in the mountains. Nothing was mentioned were exactly. Numbers were frightening. The hobgoblins counted themselves in the thousand, while the orc were many more. They also found information about the iron ore. It was transported to the fortress by underground passage ways, but the information about what, where and how were on "need to know" basis, so the hobgoblin leader here didn't know shit. Only those that came for the ore, knew about how to reach the fortress with the ore. The last thing they found was a letter in an unknown language.

Alton used Comprehend Languages to understand the message, which thankfully wasn't in code.

Dear Gratlug the Fearless,

I write these letter as a plea and warning. My sister's, Zerrana meddling into our plan, is unfortunate and can mean our end. Do not listen to her words! You were slaves and she will not let you be something else. Leave the mine as soon as you can. The orcs are uncontrollable, leave them as a sacrifice. Why? Because this is a warning. The group called "Custodians" are coming to the mine with soldiers from Nathoud. You may have a chance to win against them. If you can't leave, without being seen with your army, then fight for your life and leave at the soonest. We must devise a plan for the invasion.

Dresinyon Mizz'rynturl,
Archmage of house Mizz'rynturl
They knew about the mage, but now a sister is mentioned. The drow. The duergar. Slaves of hobgoblins and orcs. Now an invasion. This wasn't good news. They decided to go back to Nathoud and tell the prince about what they knew.

They could, at least, speak in private. They explained everything they found, talked about the prison. The found ice shard, that they told the prince to get some help and take it from there, to which he agreed to do. They told that Captain Richard is apparently taken hostage by the Aurilites. Told him about the prophecy. Drows, duergars, dragons and stuff. This went over the head of the prince, he said that he only wants to rule this place and see it prosper. He doesn't really care about this adventure stuff. He asked for help once more, which was also a reward from him. He'll give the party a land to call their own in the west, near the mine. They would civilize the region, find more information about the drow and get ready for this invasion. The only thing he asks, would be armor and weapons that the party would produce in their settlement. Specifics about all this would be given by their new adviser, who they will meet near the mine, but first - they'll need to rest.

This marks the end of Chapter I. The party will be given land to rule over. For those interested, we'll be using Kingdom Building rules from Pathfinder: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building It will take me some time to prepare stuff and the party decide who will take what spot in the council of their new land. How long will they last? Who knows. Thank you for reading up to this part. I hope we'll still play and finish this campaign.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Another great one. You could really upload these on a blog, or a similar site for a quick and easy access and to actually make this into a chronicle of sorts.

Meh, this place is good. I doubt I would find more people interested, if I blogged this shit.

EDIT: And if anybody remembers the decision that the party made in Session 1/2, it shaped what the party "got". The decided to help Eb, so it was about retaking the mine and thing the prince wants from them is Resources. If they helped Izmael, they would get a keep and their job would be to grant Security to the realm. While helping Aiden, they would establish a trading city between Nathoud and Almorel, and their focus would be Trade.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Excellent. It's pretty amazing how you were able to draw all these elements together and to create a culminating battle. Great way to end a chapter. It sounds like a CRPG or something.

Question: Is there a plan to eventually invade this arch-mage's lair/city in the Underdark? Seems pretty obvious that's where it's heading, but I've always been a sucker for anything Underdark-related. Makes me wish I were a Potato and that I could join you guys.

Got bored and left

I'm loving this series (can you call it a series? Never mind) so far, keep 'em coming, Havoc. Great illustrations, brisk pace, an MG out to brutally murder his players, good fun. It's especially interesting to see this as a person who doesn't have all that much experience with fantasy RPG's, as I've only really played WFRP years ago. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it just seems a bit different in comparison to what I'm used to, in a good way. But it might be just me relative noobdom talking.

Out of curiosity, what do you usually run, Havoc?

Makes me wish I were a Potato and that I could join you guys.

It's never too late to embrace your inner Potato, my friend!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Excellent. It's pretty amazing how you were able to draw all these elements together and to create a culminating battle. Great way to end a chapter. It sounds like a CRPG or something.

Actually, you're not that far off. One of the players returned to Baldur's Gate and came to the rest of the group. "You know what? I would like to play another fantasy rpg, just like 'old times'. Adventures, evil, we're the good guys (because we always play the evil badasses)." and the rest nodded. I'm almost always the GM and at that time I wanted to GM a campaign where the players "get a place of their own and manage it". I tried to make the campaign as much as a cRPG as it can, in that I mean - hidden great evil, revealed evil guys, a plot that is "like an onion" (I think it's Wick's idea - reveal the plot little by little and show there's always more there, just like peeling an onion), from zero to hero, the adventures make decisions that impact the realm and such.

Question: Is there a plan to eventually invade this arch-mage's lair/city in the Underdark? Seems pretty obvious that's where it's heading, but I've always been a sucker for anything Underdark-related. Makes me wish I were a Potato and that I could join you guys.

I'll give you the most spoiler-free answer:

Yes

I'm loving this series (can you call it a series? Never mind) so far, keep 'em coming, Havoc. Great illustrations, brisk pace, an MG out to brutally murder his players, good fun. It's especially interesting to see this as a person who doesn't have all that much experience with fantasy RPG's, as I've only really played WFRP years ago. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it just seems a bit different in comparison to what I'm used to, in a good way. But it might be just me relative noobdom talking.

Thanks.
WPFR is different than Pathfinder and DnD. There the possibility of death and being maimed is much higher. Here the players are heroes, and that's that.

Out of curiosity, what do you usually run, Havoc?

Vampire: the Masquerade. I love to GM intrigue and politics, but only if the players know what they're doing. I've already had groups, where the players didn't know how to intrigue, politic or even plan around this stuff. Waste of about 7 sessions of game time, when I could GM them something else that they could have had fun.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Since this is fucking Faerun and this is fucking DnD (Well... Pathfinder), why not give out some motherfucking Dungeons? Here are two that I made small descriptions for, for the players. Will they ever go to these places? Will they... you know... go on an adventure? Maybe, who knows. They're very close to the party and are canon. Maybe the party will find more places? Who knows.

The Fortress of the Half-Demon
Real name of this place is now forgotten, instead people are calling it The Fortress of the Half-Demon, which takes from the main gate that has a demon figure engraved into it, while one of his sides is ajar. Once it was a mighty castle of the long gone empire of Narfell. The evil priest prepared for war against Raumathri warmages by building the fortress right next to their border. It quickly fell during the decade long war, but it never was taken over. This place is a dangerous mystery, that very little of scholars know anything about.

Now, this place that has many levels, a massive catacombs, tunnels and dungeons, is infested with many upon many creatures, that the Nar wanted to use against Raumathri. Demons, devils, experiments and undead are the denizens. Rumors about portals to Abyss, Nine Hells and other pocket planes are the norm. People say that the outsiders can't leave this place due to powerful and still working glyphs and runes that keep them at bay. If ever these will be gone, then the monster will attack from the shadows.

Many adventurers try to find secrets of this place, but they always fail miserably. Killed by traps that were actually designed to hold prisoners inside. Butchered by the creatures living there. Getting lost in one of the portals that lead them to their death. Some even stayed, forever. Very few people dared to enter the cursed place, especially that not only the usual inhabitants are there to get them, but also a certain group, that decided this will be their base of operations.

kIDQmo8l.jpg

The castle, that's on a cliff next to Lake Ashane, is a great place for a bandit base, which a certain Hagspawn quickly understood and used. His name is Losk, the magus Hagspawn. His group stays in the fortress to regroup and explore, because there're many levels that the hagspawn wants to learn about. Also, they attack nearby villages and since the place is so near Narfell and Rashemen, he has many places to choose from for raids. Mainly, it's about resources and slaves to work in the fortress. Very little is known about his group, except it's a vicious one that consists of creatures of the castle and different races that are evil in nature.

4v5H1srl.jpg

Towers of Smoke
Near the Icerim Mountains, there's a hidden castle. This place, called by the nearby villagers, as the Towers of Smoke is a ruin of the Raumathri empire. Very little is known about this place, except that the place is like that, because of a failed experiment or something. Smoke hides the whole place in thick layer of dark fog, that's deadly to living creatures. Nobody dares to enter the perimeter, especially when rumors about creatures still living there are spread around. Golems, experiments that adapted to the fog and undead are the most likely culprit that not only could still be there, but also make sounds that are heard near the fog, where it starts.

Raumathri were know by their magical power, arcane greed and vast knowledge. This place, which maybe still full of treasure, is a prime place for unprepared adventurers. Almost no come back, but those that do, can't go further, because of traps, something attacking them from the shadows and other dangers that lurk behind the fog. Whoever ever enters the towers alive, fights through the dungeons full of monsters wanting to kill them and come backs with full backpacks, maybe the most rich group in this side of Faerun.

But what mysteries does this place carry? Do the Raumathri still live there in some kind of deformed form, that lasted them for thousands of years? Did they become undead? Liches? Vampires? There were rumors, legends, stories about the warmages, who found out a way for eternal life, after dying on the field. There are maybe answers to these questions, but they must be hidden in such a place as the Towers of Smoke.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II

z7Em4U7l.jpg

Session 9: The Preparations

Turn 0, 9th Month (Eleint)

Their lands (local map):
sLfmA6fl.png

(The revealed hexes down below are for the main road Narfell-Nathoud, called the Long Road.)

Their main settlement (Riverdale):
qMpcIb4l.png

The party rested for couple of days before traveling to their new lands. There they found a place, where soon will be called their home. Settlers didn't dilly dally and started erecting buildings. For now, the party's base of operations would be a watchtower that overlooked their lands. Hidden between hills upon hills, built right next to a river called Icerborn River, that goes into Lake Ashane. This wasn't the main river that freezes during the winter, forbidding trade down the river to Rashemen and other parts of Faerun. This could not also make this place more profitable than Nathoud, but also a ripe target for the neighbors, Narfell and Rashemen. These nations fight almost all the time, just to fight. There's no conquest here, but there're disputes over lands called the North Country, where not only the party have their own settlement, but also is a place full of ruins of the two ancient empires - Raumathari and Narfell. Most known are the Towers of Smoke and the Fortress of Half-Demon. For now, the party doesn't need to take care of these places.

KR4SITzl.jpg
They've met with Khair, their new Grand Diplomat and liaison to Prince Madis. He explained to them their situation and what needs to be done. First, they need to take control over the mine. Second, they needed two buildings, a foundry to melt the ore into bar and a smithy to forge them into weapons and armor. For now, this would satisfy the Prince, but this wasn't an easy and fast job. It would take a lot of cash from the coffers and would take at least two months. In game mechanics, one month is a turn, where they're some rolls for events, economy, player decisions and stuff. Read Kingdom Building rules or check out Kingmaker Adventure Path from Paizo.

The next main thing that needed their
attention was a leader and his council. These lands needed these people to manage it and for the general population to know who answers for what. Like the weapon and armor, they had only three months to complete this task or else there would be consequences. I gave them three rounds or else I would start counting the penalties for vacant positions and if you read some of them, they aren't so nice. They left the Ruler role vacant for now, since nobody could really decide who would take the throne. Certain players wanted to min-max the game, so they wanted to stay in their respective positions and tried to make Alton take the role. For now, the positions were filled as such:

Ruler - Vacant
Councilor - Vacant
General - Havifgar the Little
Grand Diplomat - Khair
High Priest - Garen Crownguard
Magister - Vacant
Marshal - Vacant
Royal Enforcer - Vacant
Spymaster - Alton
Treasurer - Vacant
Warden - Crommash

The heir and consort were left vacant for obvious reasons. Viceroy is like their vassal, so there's no need for him and I doubt the party will ever create vassal kingdoms. They needed to fill those roles. Khair suggested for Councilor somebody that the populace trusts, maybe take somebody from the villagers. The Ruler could be filled by somebody else than the party, but they didn't want to hear it. General could be taken over by a soldier, maybe one of the rescued from the prison. If they ever find somebody to replace Khair, then he can step down, but would still be their link between the Prince and them. The role of High Priest could be taken by one of the local clerics of Waukeen, Lathander or Chauntea. Garen could also "phone home" and get somebody from Cormyr. Magister had to be somebody versatile in arcane arts. Two, best, candidates were Izmael Stayanoga and Edwin Thrul, the first one was out of the picture. If you remember, the party fucked up their relationship with her, but not declining helping her and just going with the ranger, also they never apologized or try to make up for their choice. The second was a Red Wizard, which Garen was strongly against, but the rest of the party wanted him in and the cleric respected their decisions. It wasn't a friendship-breaker. Marshal would have to be somebody that knows these parts, a ranger would be the best. They had an eye for Eb to be their Marshal. Royal Enforcer was like a bounty hunter in their lands, but no obvious choices were to take here. If the party wanted to replace Alton in his post, then they needed to find somebody that knows the shady parts of life, but nobody knew even how to look for such a person. Soon this would change. Treasurer was a quite obvious plan of action - the temple of Waukeen in Nathoud. That place was also the merchant guild, so finding somebody that knows his stuff would be pretty easy. The situation with the Warden would be the same like the General, maybe even easier, because the Warden is just like the Captain of the Guard.

z90aNNnl.jpg

I will not bore you with their decisions on what they built and what improvements were set, when and where. In short, in three months time they claimed three hexes, built a sawmill, farms, roads. They've set out an exploration party, that found more resources like Onions, Coal, Silver, Wood and also an old monument that was a set of statues. During these three months, the party had two events. The first one, was nobles came to their village. They were merchants that made their living on the Long Road and with the orcs gone, the coming spring would be fruitful. They decided to honor the party, by placing a statue to their honor. The second was a fire that broke out in their settlement, but was quickly put out.

During the first month, Ebeseu and Edwin visited the party. Eb came with three barbarians brothers called Hagin, Hogin and Stefan. After hearing the last ones name, they asked "why?" And one of the brothers obliged to tell the story. When Stefan was about to be born, the father wanted a son and he wanted his name to be Higin. The mother was in labor and angry at her husband for, again, picking a stupid name for their child. She wanted to have daughter, but it wasn't to be. When the child came out of the womb, like tradition dictates, the father was supposed to leave the tent and proclaim to the village his child birth and name. He did leave the tent, but also fell down to the ground and was beaten by his wife, with the umbilical cord between her legs. She said "My son's name is Stefan" and went back to the tent, where she fainted. It was such a strain on her health, that she was unconscious for couple of days. The father never left her side and when she finally woke up "Look, Stefan. Mommy's awake." The barbarians were also in the battle with the orcs, so Havifgar remembered them as one of the most successful group of fighters on the field. They were had a life debt with Eb, so the ranger decided that their debt would be payed, if they went under service of the Custodians. The party accepted this gift, but proclaimed that the barbarians didn't have to die for their cause, which the warriors didn't like, but agreed. Eb then was asked to join the council as the Marshal, and only after a short while he accepted. The second guest, Edwin, came talking about the deal the party made with him. His proposition would be to build an Thayan Enclave in their city, but the party had to fork out half of the price (this wasn't pocket change mind you). They also had to accept laws that the enclave has, so a mutual respect for laws could happen. Three laws: Sovereignty, Trade, Crafting, but with some changes. Sovereignty meant that the Thayan Enclave is considered Thayan soil, so their laws and rules should be respected there. For example, an non-Red Wizard wearing red robes is a criminal offense. Not wanting to anger Garen, the Red Wizard said that there won't be any slave trade inside the Enclave. Trade means that the magical equipment will be sold 10% less the normal price. Slavery, again, was said not to come to this agreement. Crafting meant that the Thayans never produce higher magically items, only those cheap, marked and en masse. Also, no items that could be used in a crime, like potions of invisibility. For this, 1% of the enclave sells will go to the rulers. Garen still didn't want to see the wizard in their lands, but the rest of the party wanted otherwise. The wizard was accepted, but had one more demand, the party had only one year to fulfill their end of bargain (the building), until then, the mage will be their Magister. If they won't build the enclave, the mage will leave.

Vl9PX4Vl.jpg

Second month was full of guests and travelling. People from Breezevale, the first village the party visited and was attacked, came to their lands wanting a safe home, not believing words of the Prince. The party accepted their request. The second guest was one of the rescued soldiers. He was supposed to get the Sergeant rank in the guard and was given a free choice of where to take his men. He wanted to take care of the party's lands, which the party agreed to. During this time, Alton was chosen, by the rest of the party, as the "face", ruler of their lands. Of course, the party would decide stuff together, but the population needed somebody to make the decisions officially. This meant, they needed a new Spymaster and the Red Wizard had an idea. His sources tell him about a famous thief from Westgate, that was an enemy to the Night Masks and Fire Knives (the two biggest thieves'/assassin's guilds in the city). It was not known about the gender of the person, because of the use of wands with illusions. The name Uncatchable was chosen, because nobody could catch him, but it is known he left Westgate, went to Thesk, where the Red Wizards had their run-ins with him and tried to recruit him, but to no avail. Now there some rumors that he is in the capital city of Rashemen, Immilmar, and he was caught doing petty crimes. The party decided to investigate. Their river went straight into Lake Ashane, so they took a boat to the city. Nobody recognized them, so they could easily start asking questions about caught prisoners. They heard stories about three people. A half-orc that was caught stealing a purse in the streets. A dwarf that was caught trying to steal a quiver of ice bolts from a shop, magical wards alerted the guards. The third was a halfling woman that was found drunk by men, who lost to a card game against her, they also found their purses there. They were held in the prison. The party decided to first investigate the situation and then visit the ruler. In Rashemen there's an Iron Lord and the Wychlaran. The latter held real power in the country, while the man was in charge of safety and war.

TaTErVg.jpg
Entering the prison wasn't an easy task, but after a couple of words with the barbarian guards, they were let in under watch. Here they saw three prisoners. The dwarf wasn't looking like a person that could be trusted. The party dismissed him outright. When Alton wanted to speak to the halfling about releasing her, the half-orc spoke up. He also wanted to leave this place and asked for help. When he was asked about his skills, he mentioned ballistae repair, crossbows and traps. The party could use an Enforcer and the orc, looking like a person that went through a lot, could make an ideal person for the job. They agreed to find a way to rescue him. The woman started the conversation again asking why they wanted to talk to her, to which Havi bluntly disagreed that they wanted to such a thing, but the fact that Alton, whom was called "the handsome one" by the woman, already started the conversation, when the party entered, wasn't lost on her. Here also the party decided the name of their lands or at least the main settlement - Riverdale, a place between hills and next to a river. They continued the conversation and she agreed to meet the party later. The party decided to try to free Beligar, the half-orc, while sensing that the halfling would escape on her own.

ush7Yr9l.jpg
They entered the lodge of the Iron Lord, Volas Dyervolk. He was a giant man, taller than Crommash and Havifgar and with his shoulder-pads and giant horned helmet, he looked even larger. He agreed to meet with the party and asked who they are and what they want. They explained the situation about their lands, which the Iron Lord knew about and explained that to Rashemi people, the North Country, is their lands and to the Nar, it's theirs. It's a land under forever dispute and they better choose their allies carefully. They asked to release to them the half-orc, whom the he didn't know about, until one of the barbarians told he was a prisoner, a petty thief. The Iron Lord gave them the streetwalker and when Alton asked about one more prisoner, he asked them to leave, at once. Not wanting to make the giant man even more angry, they left. Beligar was in the docks, waiting for them and agreed to work for them as their Royal Enforcer. They also had to wait for the Halfling, but that didn't take long. While Garen was walking around the town and Havi was drinking in the bar, Alton stayed in the shadows next to the boat. He was found by the halfling and successfully convinced the woman to join their ranks. She introduced herself as Zefree Greenfield. She became the party's Spymaster.

XFATTEIl.jpg
During the third month, the party had an envoy from White Grave. Yesslick finished his work in the treasury and came to a horrifying realization. What the duergar stole was a piece of the Orb of Ever Winter. The books told that the dwarves found a piece of a magical ice shard, but it was dormant. Nobody knew what it was or how to use it, so it was sealed in the treasury for the future. It seems that something made the shard activate, since there were signs of ice and snow around the place, where the chest with the shard was. It had to mean, that the drow know a way to find the shards, since they're active. Also, they heard stories in their town (which, by game mechanics, is now about 1,250 pop.), that there's somebody selling potions, herbs and giving advice to the local populace. The party told the guards to bring the person to them. Apparently it was no other than Amelia "Medusa" the alchemist from Nathoud. She told them that her "herd" left Nathoud to live here and she didn't want them to come to any harm, since they didn't know how to create medications. It looked like, that not only she wanted the safety of the common folk, but also they trusted her wisdom. The party agreed that they needed a Councilor and asked for her help. She only wanted the party to never leave the villagers and help them, which the party agreed to do. So Amelia "Medusa" became Custodian's Councilor. The party had to find a treasurer and the obvious choice led them to the temple of Waukeen. This place of brimming with merchants, guild members and clients. Here many contracts were made, future obligations were signed and money was borrowed. They started their search for a person that could be their treasurer.

EVcJV4el.jpg
There were two obvious choices. One was a woman that worked as a scribe for the guild. Making notes about every contract, obligation and lending that was made with the guild leaders. The party could recruit her, but the prospect of working with "fine line" discouraged them. Who knows what they temple of Waukeen would want, if it wasn't only money? The second choice was a gnome, who tried to find work here. He overheard the party talking about needing a merchant, so he offered his services, but for a price. He had to send his family money, so they could live and for him to be at ease, that the family has the future guaranteed. He wanted two thousand gold pieces for working with the for couple of years. The party agreed that working with the gnome is at least up front and wouldn't have anything hidden in their contract. Felix Rubypocket was given the role of Treasurer. The party had a chance to find a "special" candidate here, but the diplomacy roll was too low.

Now the group had
fulfilled their end of bargain (at least for Khair and the Prince). What about the drow? How will the Custodian's rule continue? Who knows.

Turn 3, 12th Month (Nightal)

Their lands (local map):
ESpkdoJl.png

(The revealed hexes down below are for the main road Narfell-Nathoud, called the Long Road.)

Their main settlement (Riverdale):
ei3ylLHl.png

Roles:
Baron Alton
Councilor Amelia "Medusa"
General Havifgar the Little
Grand Diplomat Khair
High Priest Garen Crownguard
Magister Edwin Thrul
Marshal Ebeseu Harthgroth
Royal Enforcer Beligar
Spymaster Zefree Greenfield
Treasurer Felix Rubypocket
Warden Crommash

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II

vH0kzH9l.jpg

Session 10: The Forest Nearby

Crom's player is still studying. He will be back, I hope, on Sunday night. I've planned to have some "downtime" with the rest of the group, so they can go on adventure, while Crom will be staying in town. There will be two sessions without Crom. In the meantime, a new player joined our group (completely new, found on the interwebz). So welcome:

Estrian - Half-elf, Sorcerer (Archetype: None, Bloodline: Abyssal). A Neutral Good follower of Sehanine from Turmish. He hides from other people behind a mask, fearing that he'll be found by his enemies. (Some of these things may change in time, while the player ultimately decides his character's origin)

The party hears that somebody wants to meet them. His description is that of hooded and masked man in a black robe with knives. Interested to what he has to say, they tell the guards to bring him to their tower, where they have a "throne room". Here the whole council is sitting and Estrian comes in, greeted by the Baron. The sorcerer keeps to himself for most of the time, giving little information about himself. During this time he was asked about his country, he had to lie, but was easily caught by Garen. This enraged the cleric that didn't like being lied to. "Why should I even tell you from where I came?" he told them. I tried to reconcile the group, because Estrian was one of "those guys". You know? Those mysterious dicks. I explained to the group, that Garen feels that Estrain didn't lie to hide from them, but that he fears for his life and doesn't want information about himself to go out. This calmed them a bit, but the group wanted more. He explained next that he will reveal more, but he just doesn't say everything about himself on the first meeting, which the party agreed is reasonable.

Estrian then told the party his goal. He wanted to join up with the party. He found information about an old home of a warmage of the Raumathari empire deep in some forest nearby, but he's just one man, so he needs help to check it out. Marvus was the name of the old mage, that helped the empire by calling demons from the Abyss to help against the Narfell empire. It's said that he died during battle, but his heritage, lab and summoning chamber was lost or forgotten. Nobody found out his home, until now. The party agreed to help the sorcerer under the condition of splitting the loot. Crom decided to stay and take care of the settlement, while the group would leave for this home.

yRjPyJLl.jpg

The party traveled over five days to reach the forest, mentioned by Estrian. Havifgar was their forward scout, so before they set up camp, he checked the woods. Here he found signs of life. Human footprints, but without any boots. Havi feared that these could be werewolves or some savages from the mountains. They decide to set up camp, while half of the party rested, the other were guarding. On Alton's watch, he heard some noise. Footsteps in snow. It was winter, so it was very hard for the enemy to attack them from the shadows. He woke the rest, so everybody prepared to battle. Instead of making an ambush, they decide to confront the enemy.

Havifgars fears were correct, those were werewolves and they attacked the party. Charging with their claws and fangs. Unfortunately for them, they couldn't fight to their topmost potential, because they were decimated by not only the brute force of Havifgar's sword, but also by combined magic of Estrian and Garen. The werewolves were blinded and hurt by a holy spell and Estrian fireballed the rest. The sorcerer saw the raw power of Havifgar, who single-handedly brutally murdered three enemies. After the battle, they decide to rest somewhere else and enter the woods after a good night's rest.

RHfRNKYl.jpg

Inside they found no problems on their way. They found a very old road that was hidden under snow and dirt. This meant they were very close. A thousand years passed, so the road was almost gone. Havifgar in the meantime found a small path to the side. Nobody in the party knew what he was talking about and when he pointed to them, they didn't see what he was talking about. He wanted to investigate and the party followed. The path got very narrow, but having a giant man in front of you, made walking permissible. Suddenly they found a wall of bushes and passed through. Behind it, it was like a different realm. They found themselves on glade that wasn't touch by snow. It looked like it was always summer here. Music played, but no musicians or instruments were nearby. Havifgar and Alton failed their rolls and were entranced by the place, while Estrian and Garen were suspicious. In the center of the glade, there was a lonely tree stump. At first, nothing out of the ordinary, but when they looked at it again, somebody appeared.

7QKUSDil.jpg

A small ginger man, size-wise to a halfling. Almost bald, except for his side and back hair. Pointy nose. Tattered clothes and an old stick. He asked the party what they were looking for, and they explained their situation. The man didn't like the answer. "You strayed from your path, wanted to check a side one that wasn't your goal, that easily could have lead you around your destination?" he just smiled, but didn't allow the party to leave. "You entered my home, without asking or approval. You will have to do a simple task for me. I'll give you a riddle, if you answer it correctly. If you fail, one of you will stay here for some time." "How much time?" "I don't know, I'll throw dice." The party laughed, but I explained that, yes, the man did say he will roll dice for how much time they will stay. The party not having any other option (except killing the guy), agreed to the terms.

There was once a great philosopher, who was sentenced to death by a tyrant. Not wanting to just kill the man, he wanted to fate decide his future. An urn would be placed and inside there would be two balls. One black, one white. If the wise man takes out the white ball, he will live. If he takes out the black one, he will die. The man was a very intelligent and wise person. He knew that the tyrant won't give him a chance and there are two black balls inside the urn. It was a public spectacle. The man put his hand inside the jar, took out a ball and... lived. How he accomplished this feat?

Answer:
After he took out the ball, he asked the judge to see what ball is left inside the urn. It was, of course, the black ball, so in the mind of everyone, the wise man took out the white ball. He survived.

The party started to think about the riddle. They asked some questions about it, like if there was magic involved and such. The most important was "How much time we have?" "Eternity?" This wasn't a good thing to know, knowing that failure meant staying in this glade. The party ultimately answered correctly the riddle and the man was happy. He allowed them to leave, but he also gave the party an item. A quill and inkwell. The sorcerer decided to check it, if it was magical and what it did. Even having a high roll (he had 20 on his roll +15 Spellcraft), he could decipher what the item was exactly, but he knew that it was some kind of artifact. The man didn't reveal the item's true nature, but he did reveal his name - Fyndylsnitch The Shadowking. The party thanked the man and left for their main goal.

re17uvul.jpg

The party reached their destination, but not before finding something strange, again. When they left the glade, they found themselves in a different part of the woods, at least that's what they though. They quickly found their way back to the old road and they realized what happened. When at first they reached this place, they checked the path to their right. Now it looks like, they came from a path from the left side. Did they moved around the forest? They couldn't have known this. "Magic" was the explanation. Not wanting to stay and check why it was like this, they moved to the house. Marvus' mansion was a little rundown. A misty fog was all around it and a grave feeling was felt by the party. It looked like it was darker here than elsewhere. A Protection Against Evil helped to calm the party in this place. They decide to investigate. The front door was locked with a trap before it. Alton took care of this and they entered the house.

Here they found that the floors were clean, but not the walls or windows. Some kind of magic? It must have been. They decide to search the house. First they enter a room with monsters. A giant bug, troll, cockatrice and an umber hulk were standing and watching their every move. They were afraid to enter and check it out, but after a while they decide to man up. Their fear were unfounded. These were magical statues that resembled living creatures. They moved, made noises, but nothing more. The party opened two more doors. They found a storage, full of old silverware and gold, also gems. On the floor, there was a broken crystal and the sorcerer found the reason why the floors were so clean inside. A magical crystal. He found couple of more from the other rooms. The second room they've checked was full of fungi. Something maybe living or plantlike was kept inside, but had time to grown fungus all over it. They didn't want to check what was under the fungi and Estrian just took some with him.

The party had two more rooms to check. One right next to the room with the statues, the other in the back of the corridor. The latter was to be checked later, the former had a magical trap on it. Alton was a fucking asshole and had too much Disable Device and Perception. The trap was set with a spell of Flesh to Stone. Anybody living that tripped the trap, would be changed into stone statues. They would need a key, but they had the fucking halfling. He opened the door and inside they found something disturbing. Stone statues overlooked the room. Here there was a sarcophagus, ready to be used. A stone coffin, also empty and ready. A wooden casket, with a skeleton of a woman, wrapped in tattered clothes. One table had embalming equipment on it. The second had a skeleton of man with a magic robe, that was destroyed by time. Alton found an old ring inside those robes that was a powerful magical item. Ring of Invisibility, yes, we had Frodo jokes all around. There was also a back door to this room. There they found a room that was searched and destroyed. If anything valuable was here, it was taken. Where? They quickly found out, a ladder that lead them underground. The party didn't like that place, even one bit. Alton heard torches lit. Maybe somebody was there? The obvious thing was that this had to be his underground lab. Before going there, they decide to check the last room. Here they found the reason the mage died. While he was eating, he had to have a heart attack, died of old age or had something stuck in his throat. In any case, he died in his home. He used magical servants to clean the house and had prepared a spell, that when he died, his servants would prepare his body and bury him. Unfortunately, they never finished their job, because their time run out and disappeared.

This was the end of the session. I don't know if Estrian's player will play with us for longer. His character's very mysterious and kind of a dick, so it's hard for him to "get with the group" and I told him, that he could easily die or be left alone by the party, if this continues. Havifgar's player won't be back on Friday night, when I want to end this quick adventure, so I'll be taking care of his character.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Nice. Any chance you could update us on the party's current stats?

I'll do that tomorrow and will get the next update (they finished the "dungeon" very quick - they found the boss almost immediately).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II

Session 11: Mysteries of the Fallen

Crom was still out this session, so we continued the dungeon. The party got ready to descend down. The room with the ladder had signs of search. Door locked. Windows never opened. Somebody or something from the basement came out, not long ago. They climbed the ladder down. First thing they saw, where magical glyphs on the walls. They guarded the place, so no evil creature could get out. If there wasn't any other way out of the basement, this was the only way to leave. They also found one special "rule" that was set, because of the time and destroyed some glyphs - very small evil creatures could leave. That would explain what happened in the room above.

Alton scouted out the nearest rooms, but didn't go too deep, because he could see under the invisibility. In the left room, it looked like a hospital or storage room, but everything was destroyed here or rotted away. The right room had a lot of boxes and there he heard the sound of people sobbing. He didn't check the corridors. The party joined up and they decided to check the second room, but didn't enter. They wanted to know what or who was hidden. They saw some people behind boxes. Garen sensed that this was a trap, so the party got ready and Havifgar threw some wood at the hidden people. "They didn't fall for it" was heard. The boxes were destroyed when the monsters revealed themselves. The illusion fell down and showed their real faces. It was a succubi and incubi.

Encounter:
8yf9dbdl.jpg
2KSvFAzl.jpg

The party started to sweat, when the succubus threw Charm Monster on Havifgar and was ordered to kill them. He used all he had to at least not listen to the order (he failed Will roll, but had a Charisma roll against the succubi to not listen to the order). The fight continued. Estrian summoned good creatures. Garen threw magic circle against evil. Alton was kinda useless. When the demons were losing, the succubus threw Dominate Person and Havifgar failed the roll. Again they started to sweat. Again, fortunately, the succubus died before Havifgar got his turn to kill the party. The magic users understood something about this situation. The evil outsiders could leave this place, not even by magic (teleport, dimensional travel), but good creatures could be summoned here.

mq3Y8epl.jpg

They started to search for more answers and moved to the corridor intersection. They could move forward or turn left. Demonic statues weren't liked by them, for Havifgar in particular. He hated the last fight. If they moved forward, they had three options. More corridor or two turns, left or right. The party heard something flying, a lot, in the room to the left. The right turn had light. They decided to turn left on the intersection, instead to explore the other places, because they didn't heard any sounds. More demonic statues surrounded them. They stopped in a corner room, where there were old skeletons. Bodies were prepared to be burnt or buried, but never went with either. They also found that all the bodies were used in demonic summonings as their hearts had to be cut out by force, since their thoraxes were broken.

Encounter:
NfvCZpdl.jpg

The party continued forward, but were stopped by Alton who saw something behind one of the statues. Moving shadows. When he said that, the creature moved. The statue was really a Shadow Demon. A creature made of shadows that was essentially the assassin of demons. He attacked Havifgar, but only had one chance, since the party decimated him with brutal force very quickly (Havi had a critical hit). Then the party searched the place, they found two things. First was pretty obvious. One of the walls had runes on it with a keyhole. A magical trap and lock, pretty hard to open, but could be done by Alton. Second was a hidden room behind them. They searched it and found that this was a treasure of the mage. Lots of scrolls, potions, wands, magical weapons and armor and, of course, wondrous items. "Phat loot" was found.

RBonSrrl.jpg

The walls started to move, when Alton opened the lock and disabled the trap. It moved inside the secret place and to the side, to reveal the secret altar room. A giant summoning chamber with two humongous things. A gargantuan metal golem that stood in a magic circle. The second thing was a colossal statue of a woman. Garen recognized it as the statue of goddess of magic, but not the current one. At start of the world, there was Mystryl, the first goddess of magic. The second took over two thousand years ago and was named Mystra, and the third took her place not long ago (two decades ago), which was a mortal sorceress named Midnight. The statue was to Mystryl. This meant that the Raumathari connection was here, since they disappeared a thousand or two years ago. Nobody really knows.

They saw two more things, a podium with a floating crystal and a ghost of a wizard that walked in front of the golem. He babbled to himself. Alton casted a spell, because he wanted to learn what the mage was saying, but the ghost stopped. He looked at the party, but didn't say or do anything. The party started discussing what would be their next move. Alton saw that there was a hidden force that connected the crystal with the golem and ghost. Similar to the force wall that appeared, when he party entered the summoning chamber. Estrian wanted to know more, so he casted a Detect Magic. The ghost understood this as an attack and summoned his minions. Almost invisible creatures of force, armed like soldiers. The party fought head on, but the ghost wasn't a person to be fucked with. First spell, empowered fireball. The sorcerer almost fell to the spell.

Havifgar went to the crystal, while summoned creatures by Estrian tried to defend him from enemies. When the crystal was destroyed, Alton heard the ghost yell "You fool! Why did you do that?! This was my only way of survival!" Havi almost died, because the mage was interested in him. The fight was hard, but ended pretty quickly. The most important thing was the crystal, since it was "bugged". It wanted living creatures in the summoning chamber to transfer the ghost into the golem, but since it was destroyed before it finished it's ritual, it never happened. The golem fell into a heap of useless metal. The ghost cursed the party, when he was finished by magical spells. His minions vanished, when he also disappeared. Garen healed up the party and they started to search the room.

The summoning circle had two functionalities. The first was to summon demons. An altar behind the golem was for sacrifices. This also held the demons in these halls and since the fight destroyed some of it, they can now teleport out. The second function was soul capture and binding. Somebody bounded his soul to the crystal and when he died, his soul would be transferred into the golem. Something didn't work like it should. The room had many boxes with demonic summoning components. Nothing useful for the party. Alton found (again) a secret passage. Another corridor, but this one had magical runes on the walls, ceiling and floor. They understood that the golem and crystal were actually Plan B. The corridor was set to transfer the soul into another golem.

zCGgAOzl.jpg

The next room revealed Plan A of this ritual. They also understood that the ghost had to be Marvus, the master of this place. When he died long ago, his soul tried to bind to the golems, but nothing worked. What happened? The main room was destroyed by an underground river. The magical runes, crystals and gems were swept away by water. The most heavy item stayed on the small river - a magical golem that was inactive. It needed a soul to activate. Humanoid looking. Two pairs of hands. The party decided to take it with them. Maybe they can find more answers? They had two options - Raumathari prison and the Towers of Smoke. One of these places must have had answers to this mystery. One thing was for certain. Whoever created this strange binding ritual wasn't Marvus. He was given this equipment, since nothing looked like something he made or had. It was added later.

Yes, this was the "last room". The party found it first and used almost all their spells. They decided to leave, since they didn't want to fight anymore and get their loot out of here (with the humanoid golem). What about the rest of rooms? When you look at the map. The upper room had furnaces that burnt the bodies of dead sacrificed people. Most of the evil energies came there, so four mummies were waiting to attack them. The room below, where they heard something flying, had Quasits, tiny demons. They could leave the basement, but were too weak to open the door or window in the house to leave all together. It was them that searched and destroyed the room upstairs. The last corridor had a room with Dretches, cannon fodder of the Demons. Here they could have found the key to the summoning chamber, but Alton is a little fucking fucker, so he opened the wall without the key. There wasn't anything worthwhile anywhere else, so they really found all the meaningful loot.

The next session (Sunday night), hopefully, will have Crom and we'll continue with the Kingdom management. More things to come.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Hope you have fun reading.

I also updated the first post with information about the team. Mainly attributes. If somebody wants to know more about the party builds, I could give out more info.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II
SIlLMK1l.png

Session 12: The Life of an Adventurer

Well, pooey (or shit, if you prefer). Crom's player again couldn't come to the session and I had to tone down somethings, so he wouldn't feel left out, but he will. I wonder if he'll be still willing to play, since this would be his 4th session he's missing. This time he said, he had to be the designated driver, so he couldn't come. Estrian's player on the other hand, showed up for couple of minutes, before leaving. Said something about "family stuff". It was Sunday night, so maybe there were guest. I don't know. I don't care. I promised a session Sunday night since the start of the week, we all agreed to play and I wasn't willing to postpone it. Not fucking again.

Problem with this session, and I hope it'll be the only one, that it felt dragging a little. Little was done in sense of roleplaying, but it dragged for the whole session. Even my players said that it felt that way. No dungeons, no adventuring, no exploration. Only kingdom management and deciding what to do with what. I also felt that the players were less involved into the campaign than before. Not willing to come up with stuff what to do next, but even not asking question what they should do. I like when players take control of the session and are willing to take risks, but when they let me just drag them along, then it's not fun. It becomes more of a chore than a game. I hope it will change in the coming session, because if it's not, I predict a premature end to this campaign. Not my first time it happened, when the campaign stopped, because of something and never was continued. If it ever happens, I will reveal what I had in plans for the future of the campaign.

Before we start, I've created for the players two lists connected to the Kingdom Management. The first one is a list of "advice" from their council. First, it's about giving the NPC's some life. Second, choices and consequences. Third, extra stuff for the kingdom. I didn't want the NPC's to just be stats that add to the Kingdom and had to make something that will change that. Also, I didn't want to force it on the players, so made it "an option". If they don't do anything for a councilor, then there's a chance of him leaving, because why do then need him, if they don't listen to his advice? If they want somebody to just take care of something, they can hire somebody else for this job (just like they did with the Treasurer). Of course, this doesn't mean that everybody, who didn't have his wishes made, will leave. For example, Belligar won't leave so soon, since his indebted to the party for getting him out of prison. Khair won't leave, but could sent "bad letters" to the Prince. And extra stuff? Each of the thing they do (kingdom and/or settlement), there's a chance of a event connected to that advice. It can be a negative or a positive event.

Year 1 (1374 DR)
Councilor Amelia "Medusa"
People need time to unwind.
Kingdom - Change Holiday Edits to 6 per year
Our settlement rises in numbers very quickly. Think of the children.
Settlement - Build Orphanage

Grand Diplomat Khair
We need to connect to the Long Road if we wish to be seen in the world.
Kingdom - Connect to the Long Road
Your capital needs a seat of power.
Settlement - Build Castle

Jhaamlaern Zaphririy
Magister Edwin Thrul
There are many Raumathari and Narfell ruins around. I'd like to find them.
Kingdom - Explore looking for ruins
We're very far north. Many stars are hidden if you're looking to the sky in Thay.
Settlement - Build Observatory

Marshal Ebeseu Harthgroth
Rashemen will not like that you're working with me and the wizard. Better prepare.
Kingdom - Build Fort south (2 hexes) of the Long Road
The city is growing and we need to prepare for anything.
Settlement - Build City Wall (3x)

Royal Enforcer Beligar
Many bandits like to attack on the Long Road. I'd like to have an eye on it.
Kingdom - Build Watchtower on the Long Road
There must be a place to hold prisoners.
Settlement - Build Jail

Spymaster Zefree Greenfield
We don't exist in the world. Many people would be more willing to come, if they knew about us.
Kingdom - Change Promotion Edits to Standard
I need to drink.
Settlement - Build Tavern

Treasurer Felix Rubypocket
The silver ore will boost our importance in the region.
Kingdom - Claim hex with Silver and build Mine
There's a future in trade. The Iceborn river is connected to Lake Ashane. We could use it for our benefit.
Settlement - Build Pier

The second thing was a small list of my ideas, what the party can invest to move forward the story. I also told them, if they come up with something, I'll appraise it and add it to the list. They haven't come up with anything.

Open the Mines - The dwarves of White Grave will work day and night to open up the mines of the Raumathari prison. This is going to be a very dangerous and hard job for them, so they need some compensation. 8 BP
Discover the Secrets of the Unknown Tower - The Red Wizard is willing to travel to the tower, but will mean no support from him for at least two months. He could also send his pupils to do it for him, but that's a costly expedition. Vacancy of Magister for 2 months OR 4 BP

Oh, and I've made a table for the kingdom planning phase of the session. Here I place items connected to places, they've visited. Unique items they've acquired (like the quill and inkwell).

Where we last left our heroes, they came back with phat loot, which they did almost absolutely nothing with it. No joke. They're sitting on jewelry and diamonds worth about 10k gold. They're not selling it. Magic items? They're still holding on to weapons from the siege of the mine - a trident, lance and falchion. Still not doing anything with them. Potions? Lots and lots of fucking potions. Scrolls? Massive amounts. Wands. Staves. Rods. Rings. Nothing. Everything is kept. They're always talking about selling it, but nobody really takes initiative to actually do this shit. This is very disheartening. I'll have to kick the players in the butt, because if they want a linear experience, I'll give it to them. The story will take a giant hit, but I'll play ball if they want shit of a campaign.

They however decided to do something with the "most useful" items like ring of invisibility or belt of giant's strength (+2). They also forgot that they came with a golem to the city. I asked them what should be done about it? They decided to leave it for now in the watchtower. I was glad that somebody remembered about the quill and inkwell. I told them that the Red Wizard is willing to find out what the item does. They agreed and gave him the item. After first month, he came with results. It was a Revelation Quill. Once per day, you can ask the quill, while writing, specific questions about a future goal, upcoming event or activity that will happen in the next seven days. Havifgar decided to try it out and asked where he can find a sword greater than his.

Translation from Polish:
A great sword, a giant's pride
Very little people are able to wield it
Their greatness no small thing
In the mountains it resides, in the hands of a king
In a place, where you can't get on horseback

TbqQrh4l.jpg

During the first month. They started moving their forces to the silver deposit and gathered money for the enclave. I've rolled for events and something came up. When Havifgar was sleeping, he felt that something or someone climbed onto him. He decided to grapple, he succeeded and heard a woman's voice. When he opened his eyes, he saw a young woman with white hair and skin black as the night. A drow wanted to attack him, with knives that dripped poison. He decided to pin the woman - twist her hands, so she will lose the knives. He succeeded and started laughing. He was amused by the small woman, that tried to kill him and failed in such a spectacular way. The guards heard the laughter and came "to the rescue". He ordered them to call the council and baron, while he will restrain the woman with a rope. During this action, he saw that the woman's whole back was in scars. Signs of torture, a whip.

The Red Wizard helped the interrogation by casting Tongues on Havifgar. They could now ask questions and understand what the woman said. Alton used Comprehend Languages to at least understand what was said and he could monitor if the woman was lying. Again, it was obvious to me, that the party couldn't think of anything, even when I gave them an ideal situation. After asking couple of questions, that were, let me say, useless for their situation, I pestered them with "Is this all you want to ask her? Are you sure?" This helped... somewhat.

Information they got from her:
- Her name was Vicdia Mizz'rynturl, a lowly assassin. She wasn't a mage nor a cleric.
- She came with the drow from Guallidurth, a city from under Calimshan. The Red Wizard explained that the city is full of Lolth cultists. Temples upon temples. Hundreds of drow houses and Mizz'rynturl is one of them.
- The house is led by a female cleric of Lolth that is quite intelligent, because she doesn't send clerics to lead all the action. If there's a war between houses, a skilled warrior takes the lead, no matter his gender. If there's an artifact to be recovered, then a mage takes the lead. If it's a faith issue, a cleric. Somebody needs to die, the assassin.
- The Archmage Dresinyon Mizz'rynturl was appointed the leader of the expedition. Their job was to find the Orb of Ever Winter. Vicdia doesn't know why or where.
- The Cleric of Lolth Zarrena Mizz'rynturl being so far from home, started a feud between her and her bother, Dresinyon. She wants to take over the operation and undermines his efforts.
- The Blacksmith Jhaamlaern Zaphririy is the third mind behind the whole operation. If Vicdia is to be believed, he's actually a powerful vampire.
- The last leader was a duergar female, Deeplord Sobja Fraasz Verminwise. The leader of Fraaszummdin and of clan Fraasz. They specialize in slavery and animal husbandry. She sold the drow slaves and helps their effort.
- The hobgoblin and orc army they heard of isn't actually all slaves. The main bulk of it is mountain clans that where somehow mustered under one goal.
- In the drow society, if you don't work in the "preferred" field, then you're treated worse. For females, it's clergy. For males, it's arcane profession. Vicdia didn't have any predisposition for any of these positions, even being an assassin didn't work properly for her. For that, she was used as cannon fodder for the operation.
- She was used to try to kill one of the party, but they didn't believe she would live the encounter. They hoped, she would just die. The unthinkable happened, the drow survived and will not be killed by the party.
- Trying to know where the drow are, came up with nothing. The drow took care of her memory, when she left the Underdark. She doesn't remember the way back.

The party decided that she'll be kept under lock and Havifgar personally will take care of her. He wanted to teach her Common and try to find out, if she can be "converted" to their cause. I've made a small goal, to create romance options for the party. Since I'm going by Baldur's Gate, I've made a person for each of the party members. They don't want to roleplay romance stuff and I understand that. Personally, I don't roleplay sex scenes. Just make it like in BG - fade to black. In short, Alton has Zefree. Havifgar has Vicdia, if he succeeds. For Garen I've something planned. I don't have anything for Crom.

IZiIwCOl.png

During the second month, the party decided to sent out a scouting party and build the mine and road, fulfilling the Treasurer's plea. Also they've completed the enclave. The explorer's found more iron deposits. A crypt, ruin. A lair of hill giants. Places ideal for farms. Another silver deposit. Two landmarks. One near the lair, that was a set of stone statues of war mages in battle. The second was the start of a giant road to the Towers of Smoke. The explores tried to check the place, but it was too dangerous. The closer they got, the less living creatures they found. Plant life was diminished and next to the fog, it was gone. From afar, it was a giant mushroom of brown smoke.

I've rolled for events for the Treasurer and Magister (fulfilled advice), only the latter had something. The Red Wizard told the party, that he wanted to send his students to find what was hidden in the crypt. He'll be willing to share the loot, if the party agrees. They did and during the next month, they returned with stuff. Some of it, they took for themselves, but the rest was given to the party.

The third month was pretty slow. The party wanted to build something in the settlement, so they opted with building a shrine, because Garen wanted one. Since he wanted it, I've rolled for an event, just like the NPC's. I've narrated the situation. Garen sent out word of vacant position for clergy of Torm in their new shrine. He sent it to his homeland - Cormyr. It was only for the eyes of the clerics, but word got out to his family. Without informing him, a small squad came to Riverdale. Soldiers and clerics of Torm. They wanted to see the leaders and were given an audience. During which their leader was revealed - Garen's father, Lord Commander Victario Crownguard*. I've had little to work on, because Garen's player didn't give me any backstory to his character. So I've made it for him or more like, I've updated on it. He roleplayed that he was a noble back home, so I've worked on it and created stuff.

The Commander was angry that his son didn't send any information to the family about his status. He even left on his "sacred mission" postponing the promise he gave. "What promise Garen? What didn't you tell us?" the party asked. "Marriage" he answered. "No problem. Just tell the babe to come here." Havifgar commented. To his suprise, the commander answered. "She is here." and a woman in noble clothing revealed herself from behind the soldiers. "And the marriage will be in the next couple of months." to which Garen agreed. He had little to say in the matter and he was a very lawful man. A promise is a promise. I've explained that this way - in a lawful society, very little choice is given to the children. Their future is set by their parents. Future marriages arranged, when they're just born into the world. Garen Crownguard was set to marry Lady Nerisatra Vaylan. The party decided to give out invites and promote the event, so the marriage would take place two weeks later. Preparations were made and were payed by Garen's father.

vyoQ2mYl.jpg

During the exchange in the throne room, Zefree whispered something to Alton. She wanted to trade information about Crownguard in exchange for favor. Alton reluctantly agreed. Apparently, Lord Commander is in title only. He lost his leadership over his squad during a battle with shadow people in Cormyr. He decided to retreat and because of his action, many civilians died. This information was then given to Garen in private. Alton remembered some stuff about a certain situation in Cormyr and the desert Anauroch. The Netherese mages returned from the Plane of Shadow in form of Shades. Their levitating city, Thultanthar is their base of operation. They enslaved nearby tribes and started their conquest. They fought with Cormyr in city of Tilverton, it was destroyed by the Shades with powerful magic. The city is no more, only shadows and darkness remains. Apparently, somebody in Cormyr had to take the blame, Lord Commander was one of them.

Garen talked in private with his father about it. He was happy that his son found his place and real friends that will never betray him. Victorio told about his "friends" that choose him to take the blame, when he wasn't there. When he came to the throne room, it was already decided for him. He only tried to save his soldiers. The Shade army was unstoppable and during the night, impossible to overcome. He sacrificed the villagers. Victorio didn't know if he did the right or the wrong thing, he knew he made a bad decision. Garen comforted his father and even asked for him to stay and help them here. Garen's father heard about the invasion, but he said that Cormyr needed him. If not as a commander, then as a soldier. He's willing to kill every Shade there is for Tilverton.

Garen, unfortunately, didn't visit his bride-to-be. "I'm not roleplaying romance with a guy" meh. Oh, well. What happened next? There were, of course, guests. Dwarves from White Grave came to visit - Yesslick, Turik, Hobrek and couple of dwarves. "So, Garen? You have now a ball and chain! You won't be able to adventure! Just sit and take care of the lass! Har, har, har!" Turik laughed, but Hobrek quickly embarrassed him "Aren't you married, Turik? Didn't you promise your wife a present from this event for letting you leave White Grave?" and he quickly retreated to find something for his wife. The party also were visited by Naadhira, Cleric of Waukeen, Merchant Guildmaster of Nathoud. She came with presents and merchants from Madis. The marriage was quick and full of traditions. I've only narrated what happened, so we could fast forward. Didn't want to stay too long with this scene, since Crom and Estrian wasn't here. And what about that promise that Alton gave to Zefree for her information? He was "busy" one whole night. Lord Commander the next day, left Riverdale with his soldiers, leaving clerics of Torm and Garen's, now, wife in the city.

The fourth and last month, during this session, saw no building, but giving the settlers more holidays and promoting the kingdom more. Since this was connected to the advice from the council members. I rolled for events. Both beneficial. The settlers were happy, because they had more time for worship. They wanted to erect a statue to Chauntea, so they collected money for it. The party allowed. The second event were more settlers that moved into the town. It meant a new, free, building. The party could decide what it was, but the list was small and they couldn't achieve the requirements of half of them, so they decided to erect a mansion. Rich people moved to the town that became a Large Town. There was a bad event - a plague started in the city, but was quickly taken care of, not without costing the kingdom some stuff.

In the end, the party decided to finance the dwarven expedition to the Raumathari prison. Also, they sent the Red Wizard, so he can check out the strange tower in the mountains. He'll be gone for two months, in that time, Estrian would take over his post. We shall see if Crom and Estrian will come to the next session. I can only hope.

Turn 7, 4th Month (Tarsakh) of 1374DR

Kingdom Name: Barony of (Riverdale)
Ruler: Baron Alton (PC)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Size: 8
Population: 2750

Their lands (local map):
jF6yoyf.png

Their settlements:
Riverdale, small town 2750 pop.
exgQqjo.png

* There's a in-group joke here. I've GMed a Space Opera campaign, where Garen's player played a soldier Duncan Teg that was, in short, Commander Shephard, but without leading anything, only kicking ass and fucking bitches. He even got a nickname in an asian world, where he visited many brothels, while the party fought - "Commander Shepherd". Naming Garen's father Lord Commander, just reminded us about the connection between all these characters.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II
f2Ts5BPl.png

Session 13: What's with all those golems?

Rant:
Half of this session was spent on talking about the campaign, the group and organization. I've told my players three things, they need to work on or at least show. First is initiative. I don't care if my players say "session was good", after a game. I don't care for praises. What I care about is critique and player involvement. If I fuck up or the players have questions about the game, I want to hear about it. I don't like silence, because for me, that's actually a minus for my GMing. I don't see, mostly, that player's are involved in the campaign. They just come to the session, play and that's it. If they don't plan anything, they don't see anything else than their stats and loot, then I've failed as a GM and this campaign just sucks. I said, if they don't like it, if they don't care about this campaign. About what's going to happen next, to their characters or other people, then we need to stop, because it's, for me, a waste of time and resources. I can find players that only come, throw some dice and that's it, if I wanted to GM such a campaign. They're a ton of them. I've made those special actions, but there more "hidden", because the players "just don't care enough". They could also think of their own special actions, if they wanted. I said to them, that I would appraise it and they could get something done. In the end, all it boils down to is - "all you have to do... is ask." The second thing was engagement. I don't know what the players are doing. What webpages they're reading or playing games in the background. I would care less if this was a PBF, chat or a multiplayer game, because you can always look back into the chat history. Here, we used TeamSpeak. If you don't listen, you're out of the loop and questions will pop up "What happened? Where am I?" and such. If they cared about the game and other players, they should respect the time and effort given to the session and concentrate on the game. The third thing was organization. The players had none of it. Their "mule" had over 200 items on him. Most of it outdated (for example, they still had 50kg of grog, that they took for session 2-3) and the rest not sold. I asked them to chose a role in the party, so everybody had something to do and it was organized. One person would organize the treasury, stuff they find in the dungeons and catalog every shit there is. One person would prepare equipment for travel. It happened before, it happened on this session and I know it will happen later. The players never prepare for travel and I don't mean food and drink. I mean getting ready for a dungeon, they have prior knowledge before hand. For example, nobody had Cold Iron weapons to use against demons in the demonologist's house. This person would take into account what the party is taking, what they should buy and stuff. Potions, ropes, scrolls, weapons and stuff. I didn't want the party to haul every-fucking-thing on them, I want them to prepare for dungeons. The third person would sell stuff. Every time the party would return home, this person would check what's not needed and sell it. Count the prices, sell at half price and that's it. The last, fourth person would take care of Kingdom Building stuff. That's it. The party agreed to what I said and started preparing and organizing stuff they had.

Proper:
One month passed, during which the party decided to explore more lands and claim a way to the main road. They started working on city walls and getting money for a castle. Their explorers returned. They found ruins on the main road that were once a small settlement. They said, that if the party ever reclaims this lands, there could be an inn or trading post there. Later they found marshes, filled with lairs and ruins of the ancient Narfell empire. Lands were full of resources, but surrounded by evil, especially by the famous Fortress of Half-Demon that lurked near the lake. During this month, the farmers returned happy, because Spring was a huge success. Weather was great and they had more food than it's needed. Not everything was fine, a dwarf came to Riverdale. He told the party that Turik Stonehammer sent him. He told them that the dwarves unearthed the mine and find some ancient hidden ruins. They were filled with some kind of gray goo and mass of flesh that had mouths and eyes. Horrified, the dwarves retreated and are waiting for the adventurers.

fxIjUk0l.jpg

(Again, none of these maps are mine.)​

The party traveled (without Estrian, he wasn't in this session, but at least Crom was!) to the Raumathari prison. They were greeted by Turik, who repeated what they found to them. He told them that his men with him will stay behind and guard the miners and entrances, while the party would descent down. The party agreed, but didn't take Turik's aid in form of hammers (that would do wonders on the masses of flesh). Here we had a heated discussion, because the first thing they met was the Gray Goo. Now, if people know what the goo does, will know where this is headed. "Does acid bypass weapon hardness?" I said yes and this started a fight with the main party's DPS, Havifgar's player. I argued that this monster would make any sense having CR 4, if you hit it every time (5 AC, so you had to roll 1 to miss). It had -5 initiative. It was slow, only 10ft or 2 squares, while the party had at least 2x the speed. I told them that the only thing they needed to do is to prepare. "You didn't told us about the goo!" was screamed, but I did told them, they just didn't listen nor got ready for this dungeon. The guy who was in charge of preparing equipment didn't do jack shit to prepare for this foreseen encounter. The discussion changed into a fight, where the player argued that I homerule too much (Crispy: "...ad-libbing. They should understand."), the goo is too powerful and his build suddenly makes no sense. He even threatened that if it's going to continue, he'll quit. I had enough of this shit and his stopping of the game (it was his turn). "Are you playing or not?!" "Will you homerule shit?" "I just did! Are you playing or not?! I'm not fucking joking here." And he rolled his dice after couple of seconds. Of course, in the end I coincided that he was right (HERESY!), but only because he found a sound argument on the forums. Before this, they defeated the goo by casting protection against acid on Havifgar, Garen hit some of them with his fist and Alton used arrows. Crom just stood here and the goo couldn't do jack shit to him.

4J2Gb8rl.jpg

After that encounter, the party rested and prepared more spells. They ventured forth to find walls full of centipedes. It looked like, if they moved, the ceiling would break and hundreds upon hundreds of bugs would fall on them. Alchemical fire was used to get rid of the bugs. Next they found a hidden chest, that resided in the caverns for over a thousand years. At least some loot. Next they found themselves in a room with arrow slits, three meters above them and stairs to their right. Alton climbed the walls under invisibility and found gibbering mouthers. They started to plan tactics ahead. Havifgar would stay in the corridor with Garen and smash anything that tries to past them. Crom would take care of monsters that would pass through the arrow slits. The corridor was painted in blood and body parts, while the tank was grappled by the mouthers. In the end, they took care of everything and ventured forth into the proper laboratory.

7fh5CeEl.jpg

Here they found more ancient ruins. First they saw a metal door with no way of opening from their side, where they heard sounds of winds and magic behind it, so the moved forward. A giant room, cracked walls, destroyed crystals and shaky columns. Three ways. One was a giant metal door that was all in gibbering mouthers. It looked like an abomination of metal and flesh, but it was just that, the monsters tried to exit the room and found small holes. Over time, they "took over" the door. The party couldn't do anything to this creature and went right. Here they found destroyed stairs that they had to climb and a door. Behind it there were more gray goos, but not moving or attacking them. A well was sitting in the center, from which the goo came out. It seemed that the goo waited for more of it to leave the well. The party locked the door, moved rubble, so the goo couldn't escaped and climbed their way south. Here they found a strange machine with orbs on iron rods that moved in high speeds around. Magical disruption inside a whirlwind. Alton saw air elementals near the ceiling. He decided to test his odds or jump over the moving rods, so he can get to the other side and check what was there. Here he found a elevator that went up and down. Down lead to the beginning of the laboratory. The lift couldn't go up, since the upper floor was all in rubble. It had to be excavated. He went back to the party, but found a table full of alchemical stuff. Three things were usable, or it just seemed that way. Comprehend Languages couldn't tell him much, because it was always a direct translation. Two bottle with the sign Reject, one with Attract. He didn't know what it was used for and the party decided to move the the west wing. Here they found another lift, but this one was in an improvised condition. It was once a working metal elevator, but now there were parts that should be there and ropes. Below they found a metal door that once hold something behind with a turning wheel used to open it. Now, it was destroyed and the door could be easily opened. Inside they found deformed humans that looked like morlocks. They were no challenge, so it was a slaughter. They didn't want to fight, but the party wanted to "release them from their pain and suffering". Cells, tables and cages. They experimented here on people.

wF7Bs9Hl.jpg

The party next tried the giant door. They thought what could be done with it. In the end, they decided to open it with one of those oils, they found in the magical room. They used Reject on the giant door and the mouthers in one second moved apart, scared of it. Suddenly the abominations retreated and with their movement, they took the door with them, so it opened before the party. Inside they saw a golem, the same from the demonologist's house. This one however was in working condition. Didn't move, because the party didn't got close to the entrance enough. Here they also found giant glass tubes, filled with gibbering mouthers. A shining, red crystal behind the golem, on the pedestal. It was many times bigger than the one Havifgar destroyed. That one exploded and did almost nothing. They don't know what will happen if they destroy this big of a crystal. They also saw some kind of metal rods connected to checkered metal floor in the hall. What could it mean? They didn't know. What they saw on the golem was more scary. His hand had lighting bolts on it, that moved from many rods that came out of it. Electric attacks. A gargantuan golem. This wasn't going to be easy. But for now, we stopped the session here. If the party would organize faster (it took them 2h to organize shit) and there were no fights over rules, we would have completed the dungeon in one session.

Turn 8, 5th Month (Mirtul) of 1374DR

Size: 9
Population: 2750

Their lands (local map):
qdUrRENl.png

Their settlements:
Riverdale, small town 2750 pop.
Q02EQO7l.png

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II
oyw7Aztl.jpg

Session 14: Where all these mages have gone?

The party prepared for the battle ahead. Many plans were prepared. Making the monsters swarm the golem. Use those strange levers next to metal plates, on which the golem was standing. Destroy the red crystal. Get a rust monster. Buffs were prepared. They also thought about bringing Snorri for the first time. After a while, the plan was simple. Crom would take the golems attacks, while being buffed in AC. Garen would ready special powers to Havifgar, so he can deal more damage. Havifgar would go berserk on the golem. Snorri would be called to aid in battle. Alton, if the rest would fail, would go over to the strange levers and try to activate the electric floor.

It was a quick fight, but Alton felt something wrong. After he summoned Snorri, he saw visions, memories of the Icerim Mountains. Not his. After that, he felt that he lost some memories, but he could say what he lost. This is the hidden cost (if you fail a Will roll) of summoning Snorri. His memories would go though the summoner, replacing them. How the fight went? Well...
u21fgtx.png

Quick death by Havifgar.

o64kZ9Ol.jpg

When the golem fell, the red crystal started to crack. It's power gone, it fell to the floor and was destroyed. The party wanted to take care of the gibbering mouthers, so they used the special potion to Attact them into the metal plates, while Alton would decipher the levers and blast them into oblivion. It would take some time, so they checked the door behind this hall. Inside they found places for more golems, like the one from the demonologist laboratory. Unfortunately, they were gone or destroyed by falling rubble. There were also pedestals with those strange gems with souls in them, but most of them were, also gone or destroyed. All except one. The one in the center had a golem crushed by the rubble, in no use other than melt it down. The party decided to take the gem with them. They left the laboratory and told Turik about everything. The dwarves could excavate the second floor of the laboratory, but that would take time. The party had to decide if they wanted it, but for now, they went back home.

There they took the strange golem couple of hours away from their city. Crom took care of the hands, so the golem couldn't do anything to them. Alton tried to use the crystal, but he didn't know how. He did however felt that something is not right. The crystal moved in his hand with very vigorous motions, so strong that it jumped out and hit the metal plates of the golem. The crystal cracked in a magic show, a strange power got inside the chest of the golem. He started to move and talk in a unknown language. Alton tried to use Comprehend Languages, but couldn't really decipher what was said. He asked many questions, but after couple of minutes he gave up and told the halfling "I need a pyramid. Clay pyramid." The party understood that it was a magical component. Havifgar started looking for clay, so he could mold it for the golem. While Alton was asked for another thing, "Cast a spell. At me. I need a powerful spell." They already had dealings with a creature that stored magic (a certain zombie), so Alton used a 3rd level spell, which was absorbed into the chest of the golem. The steel creature then used his leg to lift the clay ziggurat and started chanting. He casted on himself, the spell of Tongues, so he could understand and talk to the party.

He had many questions, but most of answers weren't to his liking. The calendar wasn't from his time. Some gods were dead. His empire, Raumathari long gone, all in ruins. His apprentices from the prison, dead or missing. He couldn't remember his own name, but he knew about the golem project. They had to find a way to defeat the demonpriests of Narfell, so they thought of a way to preserve a war wizard mind and knowledge, and even make him still useful, if he dies in battle or in another way. His soul would be bound to a crystal, that would be bound into a golem. If the bounded creature dies, it soul goes to the crystal and tries to transfer to the golem. It seems that whatever happened in the prison, didn't allow the crystal to fully move the soul to any golem.

8BkGjSDl.jpg

His mind and memory was warped by the imprisonment. He needed time to understand his situation. He didn't know what to say, so he thanked the adventurers. Crom would help him regain his hands, while the rest would feed him knowledge. Books. He had a lot of reading to do. With his name gone, he asked the party to call him Steel, Steel Mage. Maybe in time, he will find a more suitable name or find his real one. He'll be hidden in Crom's house, while the rest takes care of the Kingdom. During the first month, they'll start to take over the Long Road, build walls and prepare for their main goal now - their own castle. Not before a visit from a travelling man. "I've a letter for Crommash?" he asked, after entering the throne room. The half-orc stood up. "I've a letter that was addressed for your mother... now it's yours. I was looking to finish my job for couple of years now."

Yeah, it's from Darkest Dungeon. Sue me.

Ruin has come to our family. You remember our venerable house, opulent and imperial. Gazing proudly from its stoic perch above the moor. I lived all my years in that ancient rumor-shadowed manor, fattened by decadence and luxury, and yet I began to tire of conventional extravagance. Singular unsettling tales suggested the mansion itself was a gateway to some fabulous and unnameable power. With relic and ritual I bent every effort towards the excavation and recovery of those long-buried secrets, exhausting what remained of our family fortune on swarthy workmen and sturdy shovels.

At last, in the salt-soaked crags beneath the lowest foundations, we uncovered that damnable portal of antediluvian evil! Our every step unsettled the ancient earth. Hideous rotting aggressor assailed us from the shadows! We drew what strength we could from our companionship, but we were in a realm of death and madness. In the end, I alone fled laughing and wailing through those blackened arcades of antiquity, until consciousness failed me.

It is a festering abomination! I beg you, return home! Claim your birthright! And deliver our family from the ravenous, clutching shadows of the Darkest Dungeon!

Crommash mother died not long after the half-orc was born. His conceivement was that of rape, when the orcs attacked a village in the Sword Coast. The mother wanted to keep it a secret, but it didn't take long for the husband to understand what was going on. He wanted to toss the baby out, but the wish of his dying wife gave him purpose. He trained Crommash, not telling him the whole truth. Unfortunately, the villagers didn't want the half-orc in their village, so they used every way to get rid of him, and they succeeded. Crom traveled east and his journey would stop with the party. His mother had roots in the Grimstone family, that had a mansion and village in the Great Dale. Some say that this family had ties to the ancient Narfell empire. What is real? Nobody knows. The courier however tells that it's from his uncle, Lord Rayd Grimstone. He wanted this letter to be sent to his sister, who he lost contact to. It took him years to track her down to the village and now more time to chase after Crom. Man named Crane Horsesworn (his foster father) told the courier where to look. They had to travel to Uthmere, a city in the Great Dale, and from there take a carriage to his uncle's lands, which are in ruins.

The courier was given gold and a place to stay. The party had a lot on their heads. The castle was ready during the next month, so they started to pack their stuff and move to their new place. They were nobility now, and since they finished Khair's advice, I rolled for a special event. Nobles from Damara came to their lands, wanting to build their own house (Noble Villa) and serve under them. The party agreed. Soon I'll give more information about this, but now the party had other stuff on their heads. One of them was taking the drow assassin with them on this mission. All of them agreed to one thing - if she tries any funny business, she's dead. Crom finished his first armor - a masterwork full plate armor. Soon he'll be able to craft (as a special feat) magical armor.

During this time, the Red Wizard came back with grave news. He found out the nature of the unknown tower in the mountains and it wasn't something good in his eyes. He told the stories of Sarrukh, one of the Creator Races, those that were in the beginning of time. These reptiles dabbled in mutating and creating other races. They are responsible for many of lizardkind, like Yuan-ti, Nagas, Lizardfolk and others. The Icerim Mountains had to be once very warm, so that's why there's one of their towers there. He told the party, that he could find a way to open the place, but that would be extremely dangerous. First, if one of the Sarrukh is inside, his arcane powers are unmatched by those in Riverdale. Second, many dangerous magical traps and contraptions. Third, living and unliving creatures that would guard that place - golems, mutated monsters and the like. The party decided to take care of pressing matters. They would get ready to travel to Uthmere and maybe take with them not only the drow, but also Steel, the golem mage.

Turn 10, 7th Month (Flamerule) of 1374DR

Size: 11
Population: 4250

Their lands (local map):
kBHRZjo.png

Their settlements:
Riverdale, large town 4250 pop.
1vOQQJI.png

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II
Ndc56tgl.jpg

Session 15: The Bumpy Road

The party prepared for another journey. Their goal - Grimstone lands. For now, their destination was Uthmere a city in the Great Dales. They planned their route to this place. In the end, deciding no to go through Rashemen or by boat, fearing that this could entice the barbarians. They already had thin borders with them, and with the Red Wizard and brother of the leader of Harthgroth clan from Narfell, this would just make the matters worse. Before they left, Eb informed them that since it's summer already, the Narfell clans are having a "festival" in Bildoobaris. Once a year, during the summer, for a whole tenday this place turns into one of the biggest cities in the region. About 30 thousand barbarians come here to feast, party and trade. If the party is going through Narfell, they can visit this place and maybe even get information about who stopped the couriers from Prince Madis. The party agreed to make a stop there. They took with them the drow woman and the steel mage. For the assassin, this was a test of loyalty, but even after this, it was hard to believe they will trust her. The mage however could be unmeasurable help during their visit in the Grimstone ruins.

The North Country was booming with traders that moved on the Long Road. Travelers wanting to try their luck on the Gold Road, those that waited for the right moment to move to Damara or other countries to the west. Thanks to dead orcs and hobgoblins, there a lot less of dangers on the roads. Many people were willing to risk these endeavors, and with them more adventurers. Invasion, orcs, drow and ruins. This started to look like a gold fever for opportunists. The party already had a foothold here, so there was no chewing them out of their position by younger upstarts.

The group traveled with merchants that were going to Damara. Their goal for now was to stop in Bildoobaris, so it was a very convenient journey. They were attacked during their travels and in matter of days, they passed two of the main rivers. One was theirs, the Iceborn River. The second was the main one. The weather and size made it that during winter, this place was impassable, even by boat. Those who dared faced many dangers trying get to the other side. Merchants didn't want to risk their goods. During other seasons, River Erech was pretty secure.

tWNdHMCl.jpg

In Narfell, they didn't encounter any problems on the road. Soon they were in the shadows of the great mountain Nar. Hundreds of tents and makeshift houses plagued the land. Barbarians as far as the eye could see. When they arrived, everybody was watching them. Three big men, clad in heavy armor. One of them had a sword more big than himself. An suspicious halfling. Two more people, a masked elf woman and a completely masked person, that they couldn't even know if he was male or even human. They had to hide their companions identity, not to raise even more eyebrows and make unneeded enemies. Alton wanted to know the newest gossip and got some information about recent happenings. The Nar clans are going to wage more battles against their Rashemen neighbor. More people are willing than before, and reason for them is "Riverdale". They are saying that since the Harthgroth is gaining a foothold in the Rashemen territory, more are willing to show their might.

The party decided to visit Thalaman Harthgroth. Crom stayed with Vicdia and Steel, while the rest, Garen, Havifgar and Alton went to talk to the leader of the barbarians. Surrounded by axe-wielding veterans, they were escorted to Thalaman, who was waiting for them. He told them, that they are his guests in Bildoobaris, so they can eat and sleep as much as they want, for free. He also didn't believe that this was a social meeting and wanted to know their real goal. They asked about help with the orcs and hobgoblins. Thalaman wasn't very willing to help them, since only Nathoud would get hit, if the invasion is to believe to happen. In the end, he made a proposition to the party. The minor tribes will be willing to help them, for share of loot or just glory in battle. The rest, they had to convince by steel, money or actions. Four tribes were big enough to not listen to him, so the party had to buy them out. He assumed that at least two will want money for their services, one will be willing to fight for steel weapons and armor and the fourth only if the party decided a drastic measure against Rashemen - a loud and clear announcement of independence. The North Country is split and a territory of endless dispute. If somebody would say they aren't under a rule of certain side, it would just bring hostilities to them. Riverdale is growing in number and strength. Thalaman wanted them to rise and fight against Rashemen. This would not only convince the fourth clan, but also rally most the small clans. The party agreed to think about this plan and prepare for the worst.

They also talked about the couriers. Eb asked his brother, Thalaman, about this year ago. The chief got information about the situation. A small tribe attacked the couriers, who were found dead. This tribe is in Bildoobaris and if the party wants to know more, they could get the information from them. The party thanked for the help and left to ask around. They quickly found three delegates. Alton wanted to talk to them normally, but was greeting with racism and mockery, then his companions appeared from the crowds. They were easily intimidated and revealed the truth. They were hired to attack any courier from Nathoud and kill them, if they have a certain message on them. Two persons were during the negotiations. Both looked like nobles or merchants. They payed over 500 gold pieces for this task. One of them had dark skin, like a Tuigan. The barbarians were threaten not to make such deals or they are going to deal with the Custodians. After that the party stayed the night, they partied, showed their power, knowledge of blacksmithing, knowledge of Torm and Alton tried to convince others that he's actually a Baron.

GLbvYFEl.png

Before arriving to their next destination, a hamlet called Kront in Great Dale, they had to stay one night next to the woods. Great Dale was once the heart of Narfell empire. After the war, it became deserted. Civilization left this place, allowing druids and rangers to take over with nature at their backs. Now, the forests are territory of many druidic circles. One of them, met with the party. When they were resting with a merchant, that was travelling to Uthmere, they were approached by a druid accompanied by dire boars. Alton recognized symbols on his leaf and leather armor, that he was a druid of Malar. The god of hunt, but not only animals, but all "big game" like intelligent beings and dangerous creatures. Only Havifgar knew Sylvan, the language of the woods, so he talked with the druid. He knew Common, but he rather talk to the big guy, who was the only one who understood his words. The druid wanted the party gone from his hunting grounds, but that would mean tired travel to Kront. Havifgar didn't like it and wanted a compromise. He asked for a competition, a game of hunt. If they win, they would stay here for the night. The druid agreed. If Havifgar brought to him scales of a green dragon, he would be willing to let the party stay here. The druid even showed him, where is the nearest nest. "Let me prepare" Havifgar said, but felt this was just a trap by the druid. He wanted to hunt him, so it was time to hunt the hunter. He took a potion of levitate and ring of invisibility from Alton. Havifgar left the party and disappeared in the woods. Why he needed the levitate potion? The druid wasn't actually walking on ground, he was levitating, walking on air. The party soon saw it by their own eyes. The druid left the camp, but not with his dire boars. He flew over the trees to watch Havifgar from the sky, but could find him. That didn't take long, since suddenly from the invisibility, a giant sword flew and hit the druid in the face. Unconscious, he fell to the ground. Havifgar took a ring from his hand and made a sign in Sylvan "I won the hunt. -Havi". The party then rested and left to Kront. The dire boars didn't do anything to them, not knowing what happened to their master, they started searching for him.

Two places stand before them. Kront and Bezentil. These places in of themselves aren't very important or interesting places. Hamlets, nothing more. Kront however is in a strange political place. The druids don't like civilization. Uthmere says it's their town. Thesk says it's theirs. Kront isn't next to the lake, so it's importance is minimal at best, but at least it's a crossroad between countries, never gaining any traction. Furthermore, it stands in the most uncivilized place in Great Dale, making it the only place where you can find people with steel tools. The rangers there are the intermediary between villagers and druids, so even such a place like Bezentil don't have to worry about making problems for the real rulers of these lands. The latter village is less important, but it's secrets are one of the most kept in the shadows in the Great Dale. Magical stones that lie around the place are actually very magical. For a certain amount of time, once a year, they glow with conjuration magic and if somebody, who knows the sequence, touches them in the right order, gets teleported to Kara-Tur. The druids guard this place and it's secrets. They only allow a handful of merchants to pass through it. If the secret would be revealed to people who trade on the Golden Way, the whole trade road would become obsolete. Fortunately, the party isn't interested in local folklore or strange stones that litter their way and after staying a night in Bezentil, they move to their almost final destination - Uthmere.

OX88gFil.jpg

Before they can set foot in the city, they must make the last camp. During night, they are approached by a naked woman, ridding on a unicorn. Her beauty is so great, that they fear if she wasn't hiding most of her face and body with her long hair, they could go blinds. And this is true, because she was actually a Nymph. She asked the good-align travelers for help. Her waters are being corrupted by a necromancer who uses her precious pond for horrific undead recreations. The party agrees to help her, without asking for compensation. Before arriving in a holy place, filled with flying, golden fireflies. The glade has a singular pond with a giant tree growing next to it. They saw a robbed person who ordered a skeleton to rise from the waters. The new undead eyes glow in eerie blue light. He isn't alone. More were waiting for their turn to change, but everything was stopped when the party attacked. The fight wasn't hard, but they didn't leave unscathed. The nymph asked the party to take the undead remains and the necromancers body out of this place, and again the party agreed without asking for anything. This lead the nymph to grant the party a present, but only if they leave. They didn't expect anything great. Before they left for Uthmere, the Nymph again visited them with a grimoire in her hand. She gave this item to the party and left. During their travels they identified the item as a Manual of Bodily Health, which gave the reader a permanent boost to his health (Constitution).

The party arrived in Uthmere. The city wasn't so small as they thought. This place was booming with people, over 8 thousand to be precise. The merchant left the party. His goods that he had from Kara-Tur, two wagons full of it, had to be transported to cities that would pay him the most. He wanted to leave to Westgate or another city. The party however had to find a certain carriage driver, who was the only person willing to travel to Grimstone. The question is - where is he or, more importantly, who is he?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Chapter II
x766jj7l.jpg

Session 16: You just need a little insanity

The merchant left the party and went with his men and carriages to the docks. There he will try to get a ship to the nearest big city, like Westgate. The party however had to search for clues about the coachman, who will take them south, to the lands of Grimstone. They had couple of places to check. There was a heavy fortified temple of Tyr, a castle which had it ceilings higher than normal and two places to drink - an inn called Captain's Hook and a pub called Bloody Hook. The party decided to split. Havifgar and Vicdia would go to the pub, while the rest would go to the inn. While the latter were going, they saw that the inner walls were much higher and they saw giant's heads, stone giants to be exact. Why they were here? Why they were working for the lord? They didn't know, nor did they ask about it. Inside the inn, they found that a moon elf was the innkeeper. After booking rooms, they asked about the coachman. Apparently he's an insane person, spewing end of the world babble. The elf didn't want to speak about him anymore nor he didn't know anything new, so they started searching for more information.

While that happened, Havifgar and Vicdia entered the worst part of the town. Thugs, drunks and whores. The pub was a rundown place, where you could easily get stabbed in the back. Nobody inside was willing to start a fight with both of them, especially when Havfigar had a giant sword on his back. They started asking about the coachman and a strange halfling stopped them. He introduced himself as Master Tintel Farpadden. He told them he could save the man, who was actually in prison, if they do something for him. They agreed to meet during the night in the pub. The both parts of the party met and shared their information. The man they were looking for was named Ziegfrid. He was an old man, who was insane. People spoke about him like he was some kind of cleric of Cyric or something. He also a doomsayer, who apparently scared rich people of the city and the guards just had enough of him, so they arrested him. They also got information about the road and Grimstone lands. The druids and rangers ruled in the woods and the road was inside a dense forest. The green rulers hated strangers, to a point they changed them into trees. Apparently, the coachman never was stopped by the druids. Grimstone lands on the other hand were filled with bandits, ruffians, smugglers and other people. Only madmen would go to these lands and even more insane would travel without some kind of safe passage. The party started to plan the next course of action. While that was happening, Vicdia played cards with thugs, and with her rolls, she came out not only victorious, but also without being attacked by them. In the end, Garen wanted to check with the guards and just ask about him.

Havifgar and Crom stayed in the pub with the drow, while Steel, Alton and Garen tried diplomacy. They were invited to the captain quarters in the guard's barracks. Captain Enda Quellinghanter was in command of Uthmere's guards. It wasn't the first time in their life they've met a strange race, but the first in the campaign they've met a fire genasi. They told the truth about their mission and even said that they would take care of bandits in Grimstone. She wasn't very inclined to believe them, but having a cleric of Torm saying all this made her reconsider. She asked a cleric of Tyr to ask some questions to Garen, just to be sure and when everything went dandy, she released the prisoner. It pays off to be good.

wAGfpjvl.jpg

The man was in rugged clothes. Gray beard and almost bald head. The hood didn't hide his insane look. One of his eyes was blind, the second searched everywhere. His creepy smile showed, when they asked his name and he shook his head in agreement. They took him to the pub, during which he spewed babble. They didn't really know what to do with him. In the end, they decided to talk with him in safe place, so the pub and inn, because the elf didn't like the madman, were off the table. When they were going over a bridge, he stopped. Not saying anything. Just looking at them. They asked what was the matter and he asked about their goal. After confirming his speculations, he asked about a favor for his help.

Go. Yes, go. The docks. There's a man. He is waiting for... for an opportunity. He, he will never get. No, he will not. There's a chance however... a slight chance he will get... hope. Hope is all he needs, but a opportunity will not be given. Find a house. A house with three barrels, one open. Half of water. Only half. Knock two times and ask tribute. Take it and give it to the Sea Bitch.

The party understood at least the last part. The Sea Bitch was also called the Bitch Queen or Queen of the Depths, Umberlee. Havifgar and Crom explained that this wasn't something special. Umberlee with Talos are "respected" evil gods that have temples in even the most good cities. People fear their power. Nobody wants to die during their sea travel or get hit by lighting. The party moved to the docks and found the house. Inside there were three people. Pirates or very pissy sailors, but when Alton knocked two times, a sea captain opened the door. Wooden leg, missing eye, a great hat on the table. The only missing thing was a parrot. They told about tribute and he went back to the table to give them the item. It was a small wooden box. He was suspicious, because he thought "a sailor would come for the tribute" and Alton didn't look the part. Nothing, thankfully for them, came out of it. The pirates started talking about leaving "this dreaded harbor" in couple of days, if the Sea Bitch allows them. The party in the mean time talked what to do next, but the fighters didn't want to think about this anymore. They took the box and threw it into the sea.

SLWRxYYl.png

When they returned to the madman, he said that he'll be waiting next to the south gates and they'll leave whenever they want. The group decided to rest in the inn and leave the next morning. They meet again with Ziegfrid and saw his carriage. It almost was falling apart. His horses looked malnourished, hungry, but had enough strength to pull the wagon. The party settled in it and they traveled south. The road was bumpy. Over the couple of years, the road wasn't taken care by anybody, so it started to degrade. The nature was taking over the place, but the driver knew how to travel between the trees. As the rumors said, nobody will touch them, when they travel with Ziegfrid. Apparently it was the truth, since nothing stopped their over nine hours travel to Grimstone. When they arrived, they saw the ruins of the manor over a cliff. A village down, next to the sea. The woods were dense, but something sinister was about them. When they arrived in the village, the carriage wheel broke and the madman said he'll take care of it.

57NQsUsl.jpg

The village was in shambles. Houses were boarded up, no light came from there. The fountain was broken and only crows were around it. A hungry and weak dog barked at them. Crom fed him some food, while the party found something that had living people inside. The tavern was "open". They saw light coming from the boarded up windows. The name of the place was nowhere to be found. The sign was broken and only word they could read was "Swine". The party decided to enter. Here it was worse than in the Bloody Hook. The worse kind of bandits were taking up space to their left and to their right, there were pirates. Behind the bar, a half-orc bartender was standing. The party asked out loud about the manor and people laughed, hearing they wanted to visit that place. Only one person was willing to talk to them, from their side of the tavern, a pirate captain. Crom started asking him about the place. They heard about aberrations that came from the manor and the closer you got, the more were to be found. People who tried their luck and came back, were changed and driven mad. The rest were eaten or changed into undead. The only way to the manor was up the road that came through a temple with a graveyard. The party decided to leave, but not before Crom bought rum for the pirate captain.

They didn't want to stay anymore and left for the manor. Monsters were avoided thanks to high rolls of survival and perception. They saw why the woods were sinister. Giant spiders, maggots and slugs were the main animals in these parts. When they reached the cemetery, they saw their first enemies. Undead, a lot of them. They didn't stop and attacked the skeletons. While the fight continued, behind the giant group of undead, a strange man appeared. He started talking about their impending doom.

You will not stop them. They're coming from a far realm. They will be our masters. The true lords.

The fight wasn't easy, but they took care of enemies rather quickly and the strange man disappeared, when he was "killed". After the battle, Steel was sure everything pointed to the Far Realm. A plane of madness and chaos, where even the Elemental Chaos plane looked "normal". The place from which the aberrations came, but nobody knew how. They searched the temple and found the recent victims of the undead, a group of grave-robbers. In their loot, Alton found a memento, a closed picture on a chain. Inside a picture of three people - a father with his son and daughter. "Lord Grimstone with his children" was signed on the back. Crom recognized his mother and took it for himself.

MjF0fWVl.jpg

The travel to the mansion was pretty easy. Nothing dared to stand in their way. They finally saw the destruction that came after years of death of the last owner, Lord Rayd Grimstone. Many paintings and goods were stolen, those that were left behind were destroyed beyond repair, the rest weren't easy to transport. There was only one passage down, but it filled the party with dread. They didn't enter the underground, because Crom heard something. Only he heard it, a voice, an echo. He followed it to the second floor. It came behind a door that was all in a strange metal. Steel told the party that this a Living Metal. Items created with it, repaired themselves. There was no way of entering without causing more damage to the mansion structure. Crom asked the party to quiet down, so he could hear what the voice was talking to him. When he could concentrate, he could even talk to it.

Descendant of Grimstone. You finally come to your home. Unfortunately, it is in ruins. A great evil resides below these halls, more ancient that this house. Your heritage lies behind this door, but it will only open, when you defeat the monster and claim revenge for you uncle.

Crom told the party what he heard and Steel told them, that it had to be an intelligent item. A magical item that has it's own life, ego, needs and wants. The party had to prepare for the unknown.

* The funny thing about the last thing. In polish Heritage (Dziedzictwo) sounds similar to Virginity (Dziewictwo) and when you GMing late, I said the wrong word. "Your virginity lies behind this door" and the party erupted in laughter.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
I'm sick lately and some of my players are busy. If we're lucky, tomorrow we'll be playing, if not, then Sunday.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Well... it's getting bleak now. One of my friends doesn't have time to play past 8pm (20), when we play. He can only on weekends, but not the 7-8 March. So... I don't know when we start playing again. I don't want to repeat the thing I did to Crom's player (he missed 4 sessions).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
We had a session (yay), so in the next days I will try to make another update.

Also, I'm STing two more games (and playing one). One is a Sabbat campaign (Vampire: the Masquerade), where the players take the roles of freshly created vampires (shovelheads) that have to find their place in the world of vampires, especially those fucked up in the Sabbat. It takes place in the 90', Miami. So a lot of neon and cool music. The second one is more political and intrigue heavy, which was two player only, until somebody wanted to come and join (he will in the next game). It's set in New York City, where Camarilla just won the siege and people are talking who will take place of the prince, since Calebros isn't willing to stay. They're playing as Tremere, so there's a lot of clan politics and backstabbing also. If you want to hear me write about those campaigns, just say so and I will create a new thread for them (maybe two).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom