Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Call of Juarez - Gunslinger

MasPingon

Arcane
I have downloaded the demo couple of days ago from steam. First surprise - it's not only a teaser or tech-demo, it's a nice, full map from a full game. No time limit, no 'want more?buy a full game' in the middle of the action. Second surprise - it was damn fun. It felt like a mix of an old arcade FPSs like Painkiller with modern Bulletstorm(except done right). Most important - shooting is fantastic, you can feel control over your character and the impact of the bullets. Movement and physics feels right, I was very pleased with overall flow.It's damn fast.

I won't hide it, I wanted more. Checked the price - fucking 20 bucks. What kind of unholy deceptions is this? First, fully playable demo, then big surprise over the content and now this? That's how it suppose to be god damn it.

I have just finished the game on normal and stared new game plus,. It offers True West difficulty setting with no hud and crosshair. Style of gameplay changes drastically, but it's still fun as hell. There is also competitive Arcade mode similar to the one from Batman:AA, where you are trying to get a highscore making the longest freaking combo ever. Damn fun and the biggest surprise I have had for a long time. Great little over-the-top single player-only game, we need more of that kind

Check this very-informative-trailer for more

hiver

All ive read about it seems to indicate an unexpected good surprise.

Ive ordered a test/review version and im awaiting for it to arrive from no-ones inventory as we type.

subotaiy

Cipher
Yes, the game is pretty fun and has even a longer campaign than Bound in Blood (or i'm much worse at shooters comparing to a few years back).

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Erm, incline? I enjoyed the game, but it was nothing more than a glorified gallery shooter, so I'm not sure why it's supposedly incline.

MasPingon

Arcane
Erm, incline? I enjoyed the game, but it was nothing more than a glorified gallery shooter, so I'm not sure why it's supposedly incline.

More because of how they want me to buy their product - no hype, great demo, cheap prize. Also, I like how it is a 'genre' game. I mean - it's an arcade, challenging FPS with a couple of nice shooting mechanics and catchy storytelling. Everything about this game says - if you don't like it, move on, you won't find anything else here. Look at the trailer - that's exactly what you get, nothing more, nothing less. That's incline for me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I checked the trailer, it looked just like CoJ2, which was supershit, so I refrained from removal (or non-removal) from any inventories.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, if you love popping moles on shooting galleries, I'm sure it was.

Maybe you should try Gears of War.

MasPingon

Arcane
0_0_0_1126871674_middle.jpg

I quit playing CoJ 2 in half way through, couldn't bear gun play mechanics. This feels nothing like previous game

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is that so? I might as well check out the demo then.

But if it sucks, I will find you and violate you, how about that? :rpgcodex:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
In my opinion, this series' biggest crime is that they weren't open-world western games. We need more of those.

They can drop the arcade-y shoot mechanics, though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ooookaaaaaaay, I have admit it, I think I'm sold, this demo was actually really, REALLY cool.

I love the constant narration. I laughed when it got to the '...nope that's not what happend *rewind* ' part, it reminded me a little of Sands of Time.

The art direction and general aesthetics are cool as hell, the cel-shading gives it a comic book feel, and the BAM-BAM-BAM, 3 panel introductions to major characters are coolio as well.

Shooting seems p. alright, has an arcadey feel that's neat (numbers flying around, combos, wild acshun) and which was severely missing from bound in blood. Fuck your shooting around wooden crates, constant wild action and shooting faggots point blank with muh akimbo revolvers is FUN.

It's just a shame about the health regen... but eh, at least it's not cover-based... thus far.

Oh, and it's annoying as fuck that it doesn't support 4:3 monitors :x

i think i might get dis thing actually because the demo left me wanting for more ;_;

here MasPingon, have a brofist : x

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I accidentally preordered this (a whole 2 hours before it was released) on Steam while drunk, and only realised the next day when I saw it and BiB (free w/ preorder) in my library. Deciding to see if I'd wasted 15 kwabux, I fired it up.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

It was a good length for such a cheap title (6-7 hours or so, longer than many full priced games nowadays). Although it was a shooting gallery, it knew what it was, spicing things up with the whole score-maxing combo-seeking aspect and guns that actually felt different from eachother. It managed to be cel-shaded without looking boring or ugly as sin like most cel-shaded games. The bar story framing device was also really fun. Sure, it's a gimmick, but the devs really ran with it and made full use of it instead of making it pointless. For example one level had a Rashomon sorta deal, where you play through it 3 different ways based on 3 different characters' takes on what happened that day. Another had Silas make up some bullshit attack in order to check if people were paying attention. There's all sorts of stuff like this.

I'm thinking of doing a True West playthrough, though I suspect that even with skills carried over in New Game+, one part at the very end will be a motherfucker to beat if they amp up the enemy damage much from Hard.

Edit: Actually I take that last part back, it should be manageable with the combination of Akimbo Rangers, the 2x Combo in Concentration, Executioner, and Concentration Recharge on 6x Combo skills. In fact, with those unlocked, New Game+ might be horrifyingly easy (it pretty much means you can utterly rape any group larger than 3 in seconds at just about any range, if you use Concentration right).

MasPingon

Arcane
I'm thinking of doing a True West playthrough, though I suspect that even with skills carried over in New Game+, one part at the very end will be a motherfucker to beat if they amp up the enemy damage much from Hard.

It's not THAT hard, but it feels different. You are forced to use bullet time more often to get pass and it's no longer Rambo style game play. I don't know if I like it better, but I would say it's a nice addiction. One thing I miss are those killing spree inscriptions over enemies heads, they make you feel badass. There is arcade mode tho, being able to do 53x combo is a nice recompense

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh, and one more thing that I liked about the demo that I found incredibly annoying in CoJ2: The concentration mode is no longer an instawin awesome button.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
It's not THAT hard, but it feels different. You are forced to use bullet time more often to get pass and it's no longer Rambo style game play. I don't know if I like it better, but I would say it's a nice addiction.
Don't get me wrong, I think most of the game won't be difficult, just one very specific part.

The end of the ghost part. I suspect I'll have to resort to the 'Run as fast as possible out of center, hide behind fountain, and try to make it from checkpoint to checkpoint' method.

Oh, and one more thing that I liked about the demo that I found incredibly annoying in CoJ2: The concentration mode is no longer an instawin awesome button.
Do not get the full trio of skills I mentioned then. Luckily I think they're on different branches, and at or near the end of each, meaning even if you get them in one playthrough, it won't be until the end. However, what those 3 end up meaning is that when you go into concentration, if you hold it down you can pr much instakill a few visible guys, and if you get 3, the concentration bar will recharge, allowing you to do it again right away.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Which is pretty strange, given that CoJ2 was exactly that.
Let me rephrase. I hate banal shit boring cover based shooters. Like GoW and unline CoJ2.

Anyway, fuck me that I'm so broke, I would buy this in no time.

MasPingon

Arcane

There is, but it's implemented differently. If you press and hold Q for a while the game automatically aims for an opponents heads. The trick is, you loose all your concentration and it last only couple of seconds(if you have your concentration maxed out). Good thing they made it that way, so it's not worth-while to use it often

It's not THAT hard, but it feels different. You are forced to use bullet time more often to get pass and it's no longer Rambo style game play. I don't know if I like it better, but I would say it's a nice addiction.
Don't get me wrong, I think most of the game won't be difficult, just one very specific part.

The end of the ghost part. I suspect I'll have to resort to the 'Run as fast as possible out of center, hide behind fountain, and try to make it from checkpoint to checkpoint' method.

I had a problem much earlier - in the canyon, where you are flanked by apache/apache style cowboys. You got to be damn quick shooting those bastards until you notice that pass you haven't noticed before ;)

LundB

Mistakes were made.
There is, but it's implemented differently. If you press and hold Q for a while the game automatically aims for an opponents heads. The trick is, you loose all your concentration and it last only couple of seconds(if you have your concentration maxed out). Good thing they made it that way, so it's not worth-while to use it often

I'm pretty sure that only happens when you unlock the 'Executioner' skill, so it's not too bad. However, when coupled with the concentration length upgrade, 2x combos in concentration upgrade, and full concentration recharge on 6x combo upgrade, it becomes a recharging rape button.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Honestly, I don't mind it that much when it's a recharging rape button that you actually have to unlock after getting a bunch of skillz over the course of the game. One thing is that it's "optional", and the other that after playing for a longer while you should be allowed to become a rape machine. Meanwhile, in CoJ2 it was an instawin rape button from the very start :/

anus_pounder

Arcane
Fun little game, but playing it only reminds me of how much I want another game like RDR. Or like this. Hell, I'll even take a western text adventure at this point. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom