Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

C&C4: Now With Respawns, Hand-Holding, Color Coding

This is more or less a word for word copy of an article in EDGE about the game.

Aside from actually commanding and conquering, it's hard to think of two features more closely associated with EA's realtime strategy series than those that its fourth installment rejects. Base-building and resource management have been consigned to history in the hope that such trimming will make the game more accessible, more immediate.

"In the past, I'd have a base tucked away in the corner and I'd forget about it", says producer Raj Joshi. "I'd be off fighting a battle and somebody would be taking over my base, blasting my critical structures."

Fans might recall this as a fundamental conflict of the game...that your attentions are constantly divided has been a key challenge in the C&C series from its inception to its loopy time travel spin-off Red Alert. But the way Joshi describes it, C&C4 finds greater strategic breadth by introducing crawlers-mobile base units that can unpack at a moments notice to dispense new units.

"You can take it with you or park it wherever you like: explains Joshi. "Or you can let it hang back slightly and have it constantly support you. Your crawler also gets tech'd up so it can have a lot of offensive firepower as well as more armor. You can take it to the front line if you want."

It sounds rather hazardous for the pumping heart of your army to be so exposed-but C&C4's solution is to shift the goal-post's entirely. Destroying your opponent's base is no longer the means to securing victory:they will simply fly another crawler in 15 seconds later.

"Destroying their base gives you a strategic advantage, and you get a lot of experience points and currency with which to buy new units, but it doesn't put your opponent out of the game," says Joshi.

Instead, mission objectives revolve around capturing and holding critical positions on the map and, with the ability to re-spawn, battles prove to be strategically complex than simply racing to build a wall of tanks and ploughing it straight into the enemy. The entire make-up of your force is mutable too, with players being able to switch between three broad classes on the fly-offense, defense and support. Although each is heavily customizable, with seven build slots available, there is a limit to the kinds of units you can pick from the faction's 75-strong roster. Offense has a weighting towards rolling units and its crawler stalks the battlefield on legs, able to stomp on enemies. The heavily armored defense crawler, meanwhile, trundles along on wheels, accompanied predominantly by infantry units. Support's specialization is air combat and its crawler, naturally, hovers.

The number of units seems to run counter to Joshi's claim of streamlining and accessibility, but C&C4 has some tricks up its sleeve to make the process of interpreting the battlefield a bit easier.

When your units are shooting purple, whether its lasers, cannons or rockets, you know you're a proper match for your opponent," says Joshi. The cursor becomes a large rectangle when hovering over units that are particularly vulnerable to your selected craft. And something we're implementing now is that when you select a unit, the other units that would be susceptible to its weapons would get a reticule on them.

Though evidently more direct and transparent in its action, our brief hands-on with the game is not enough to say whether the dynamism of a movable base makes for a thrilling, ever-changing battle, or if it simply makes engagements more nebulous and protracted. Either way its a bold experiment for the final installment. Let's hope it doesn't need to make use of Red Alert's Time Machine.

And here's the little side-column:

Joshi believes the new re-spawns don't make the game a soft touch, they merely perpetuate a different, and more rewarding, game-play loop. "In previous C&C games I've made some ridiculous mistake, like I've sold my mobile command vehicle by accident...and that's it for me. It's over. So with C&C4 I make a big push for two things; one, getting rid of that damn 'sell' button, and two, always let me come back. If I make some kind of critical error let me keep playing. No one wants to put 40 minutes into a mission only to come away with nothing."

So to put it simply, because this guy can't bother to pay attention to the basic defense of his base, is prone to making stupid mistakes like selling off his MCV, and apparently forgets what unit does what...C&C is getting a lobotomy to be 'more friendly and immediate.'

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Cup_of_rage.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
If I make some kind of critical error let me keep playing. No one wants to put 40 minutes into a mission only to come away with nothing."

LOL

Gone are the days when your mom said "You are special" now you have video games that build up your confidence by holding your hand and forcing you to win.

phelot said:
If I make some kind of critical error let me keep playing. No one wants to put 40 minutes into a mission only to come away with nothing."

LOL

Gone are the days when your mom said "You are special" now you have video games that build up your confidence by holding your hand and forcing you to win.

If it's single-player, that's what the occasional save is for.

Multi-player...pay more attention, so you don't sell off the most important structure in the base.

There, simple solution and now you can stop turning C&C into a game of capture the flag.

Castanova

Prophet
You've got a producer talking about game design. Which means that the producer feels he knows about game design. Which means that the producer told the game designers what to do. Which means the game is shit.

Stoiv

Educated
Who gives a shit? The C&C series have sucked ass after RA 2.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
If it doesn't have base building and resource management, then the players will have to do with the forces they got in the start?
If yes, it sounds like a gigantic :incline: of C&C.

Wait, respawns?
:rage:

Quilty

Magister
Call me a granddad, but I can't stand multiplayer in RTSs. Whenever I play them I start getting all schizophrenic and shouting YOU TAKE YOUR TURN AND THEN I TAKE MINE.

I just don't understand the thrill of the race. Anybody else feel like this?

Don't play much multi-player myself, but I enjoy downloading replays of other people's matches. Some come up with crazy tactics.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I always loved unique and fun units that were present in C&C games, with funny voices and reactions. So as long as they keep that its ok for me. Its not like always doing the same game is the best, the idea behind C&C games is what? 15 years old? Time for some change.

If they tie respawning units to, for example, controlled locations on the map the game will get more tactical and less base micro intensive. I'm playing strategy games for strategy, not economy.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Quilty said:
Call me a granddad, but I can't stand multiplayer in RTSs. Whenever I play them I start getting all schizophrenic and shouting YOU TAKE YOUR TURN AND THEN I TAKE MINE.

I just don't understand the thrill of the race. Anybody else feel like this?

It's a Korean thing --- you just wouldn't understand.

(Personally, I despise RTS single OR multi).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Occasionally Fatal said:
stop pretending you care about this series after RA2. that said, could be interesting.

Hey, I liked C&C3, nice units, aliens very especialy p. cool (mothership? fuck yeah even if it was useless). Loved what they did with tiberium - new non organic look is way better. And Kane stil is nice.

ChristofferC

Magister
Destroid said:
Sounds like they are getting owned in sales by Company of Heroes and Dawn of War.
Yes, and apparently they think that if a game is not a clone of a bestseller or it wont sell.

Stoiv

Educated
Destroid said:
Sounds like they are getting owned in sales by Company of Heroes and Dawn of War.

Both of those games have base building.

Luzur

Good Sir
C&C10 will be a simply flash movie with the only interaction a player got to do with it is click the "WIN!" button in the corner when he gets bored.

Malakal said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
stop pretending you care about this series after RA2. that said, could be interesting.

Hey, I liked C&C3, nice units, aliens very especialy p. cool (mothership? fuck yeah even if it was useless).

You should check out some of the matches that take place in the Crater MP map. The middle is an enormous pit of Tiberium that most players will claim sections of just because it's such a boost. They're technically fine in the starting areas (it only gets used for six player matches), but...well it's a giant chunk of Tib that's larger than all the other collections on the map put together.

I've seen matches on that map go from high-tech battles for dominance to little better than the Stone Age thanks to a Scrin player sneaking a Mothership near the edge of the pit. The shockwave will wipe pretty much everything but the toughest structures right off the map. It'll be a minute or two before anyone can field anything beyond the most basic infantry.

I'm honestly surprised anyone who plays on that map doesn't automatically band together and kick the Scrin players' asses.

Here's how Tiberium works now, as partially explained by the guy who can't be bothered to actually keep track of his units or base:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/3684/comm ... ml?show=hi

Yes, fields of wild growing Tiberium no longer fit into the story-line or game-play structure...

...but apparently little floating rings of the stuff periodically falling from the sky somehow does. It's 'spit out' by the Tiberium Network? That's some shitty efficiency, isn't it?

Black

Arcane
EA fucked up?
Call the press, qwick!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom