Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Butthurt gamer blog

Hellraiser

Arcane
I don't play games to reinforce me in my world views, I pity the people who do. Especially if they cannot realize that making a setting not catering to that world view is an artistic choice by itself. Looks like a shitty troll anyway, probably drog/bryce/chefe.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Please don't make a new thread about this crap.

Either throw it into the Second-Best Thread ever (Part 3), or purge it into GD/Retardo.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Please don't make a new thread about this crap.

Either throw it into the Second-Best Thread ever (Part 3), or purge it into GD/Retardo.

This. Why do people care about some random persons ramblings? Have you nothing better to do in your free time?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Get out, the butthurt is coming from inside the thread!

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Now i know why companies like EA likes to cater to minorities. If you make them butthurtt, they will buy aditional copies of progressive games such as Dragon Age.

kris

Arcane
Prosecution for homophobic hate crimes? Sure.

This always irked me. So doing a crime when you hate some groups is a special crime, while doing the same thing against another group isn't?

this "hate" or contempt can't be measured anyway.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This always irked me. So doing a crime when you hate some groups is a special crime, while doing the same thing against another group isn't?

this "hate" or contempt can't be measured anyway.

Motive and circumstance are important considerations when adjudicating a crime, which is why there are degrees of homicide ranging from involuntary manslaughter all the way up to premeditated murder (in the United States). In either case, person X killed person Y (for simplicity's sake), but the punishments are usually very different.

It's important to differentiate hate crimes from "normal" crimes for a variety of reasons. If I walk in on a guy a fucking my wife and decide to shoot him in the heat of passion, I'll still be going to prison for quite a while, but I likely won't get a life sentence or the death penalty, and a parole board is much more likely to grant me parole someday compared to a premeditated murderer. If I walk by a black guy on the street and decide to shoot him because I hate black people, the law will treat that as a senseless hate crime, and it will be treated much the same as first-degree murder rather than second-degree murder.

When the motive for committing a crime is primarily hate, the magnitude of the crime is much greater in the eyes of the law than it otherwise would have been... and while I don't always (or even often) agree with the justice system in the US, and indeed feel it's filled with corruption, cronyism, and more than a few imbeciles, I do agree with the sentiment.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
As plentiful as there are doritos and Mt. Dew beverages that flow freely among the gaming media, there will always be people who cannot tolerate ideas that do not conform to their own (kwanzanian) viewpoints. :smug:

So, I say welcome to glorious comrade thedeadlymoose and farewell for my glorious thread that amassed 130 doritos in agreement but got deleted because of people willing to discuss the merits of pedos and necrophilia versus gaydar inclusivity. :x

But as sure as my country's dynasty is a great one and Colin McComb is a man of honor I must regret to inform you that you kwans will have to go elsewhere to get your gaydar inclusivity. :troll:

kris

Arcane
It's important to differentiate hate crimes from "normal" crimes for a variety of reasons. If I walk in on a guy a fucking my wife and decide to shoot him in the heat of passion, I'll still be going to prison for quite a while, but I likely won't get a life sentence or the death penalty, and a parole board is much more likely to grant me parole someday compared to a premeditated murderer. If I walk by a black guy on the street and decide to shoot him because I hate black people, the law will treat that as a senseless hate crime, and it will be treated much the same as first-degree murder rather than second-degree murder.

but...

what if I walk in on a black dude fucking my wife and shoots him in the face... but I blog for "white power".
What if I walk in on a dude fucking my wife... but seek out and kill him later, wouldn't that be a hate crime?
If some people bullied me for years and I meet one of them on the street and shoots him, is that not as bad as if he had been of another skin color?

Of course the second example there of shooting someone you just walk past is rarer than lightning strikes anyway, so hardly something that comes up.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
what if I walk in on a black dude fucking my wife and shoots him in the face... but I blog for "white power".
What if I walk in on a dude fucking my wife... but seek out and kill him later, wouldn't that be a hate crime?
If some people bullied me for years and I meet one of them on the street and shoots him, is that not as bad as if he had been of another skin color?

Of course the second example there of shooting someone you just walk past is rarer than lightning strikes anyway, so hardly something that comes up.

Bear in mind that as a heterosexual white male atheist living in the US, it's not possible for anyone on Earth to commit a hate crime against me because I obviously have billions of dollars, a great deal of political clout, and a penis that must be carefully trained and restrained at all times lest it lead me to start raping everyone in sight. I don't even have a church to burn down. I'm an oppressive potential criminal by my very nature. This is a long-winded way of saying that I have no personal stake in hate crime laws.

It's true that hate crime-flavored laws can be and are abused, and that the race card (or whatever card) might be played even if hate wasn't a motive (or at least a primary motive) in a given crime. However, there are genuine hate crimes to consider, and I believe there should be laws on the books dealing with such crimes. Yes, they're abused, but in the US at least, practically every law is thoroughly abused by thousands of lawyers each and every day. I'd actually venture a guess that hate crimes show up less frequently than senseless street shootings. They're rare, as you say, but not vanishingly so.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

but...

The point is that if you're convicted of a hate crime you're considered more likely to re-offend, therefore you're more of a risk and the punishment is appropriately harsher. The examples you give don't work for this reason - there are overly extenuating circumstances. If you're willing to shoot a guy for fucking your wife, race probably isn't a factor in it. The judge has to rule that a major factor in your attack was based on pre-existing prejudices that make you likely to pose a threat to any member of a certain group.

And yes, black people can in fact be convicted of hate crimes on white people; the first offender to actually be convicted under the relevant laws in the UK was actually a Muslim. The term "hate crime" probably won't be used, but it isn't often used in actual law either, it's an umbrella political idea. There are hundreds of other considerations that make you more or less likely to re-offend, it's really just another one of those. There are some specific laws providing guidance, but they're not really very well-regarded or useful pieces of legislation other than that, as they usually come from political grandstanding rather than any serious jurisprudence.

This is the case in the UK, anyway. Don't know about America. It's probably stupider.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not gonna lie. This is my favorite thing ever.

After months of lurking, I didn't think 'y'all finding my incredibly shitty personal blog' would be the thing to make me actually sign up an account.

I can't think of a better set of people to incoherently tear me a new asshole. <3

Also, hi, Hiver!

By the way, Hiver: yes, the fact that you're beta-testing did get me to raise my backer level. :P

If that's how it's gonna work, hopefully the fact that I will also be beta-testing will get some more of you motherfuckers to raise your tiers as well. Otherwise I might fag the entire game up with my gay mind control.
Do you actually think Bioware games give a good representation of gay people? It seems to me it depicts them as individuals with psychological issues which can be easily exploited to get them into bed. To be fair, I think they depict straight people the same way, but I wouldn't call either one progressive.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I can convince one person to not buy a shitty EABioware game, I've done good for the day.

kris

Arcane
The point is that if you're convicted of a hate crime you're considered more likely to re-offend, therefore you're more of a risk and the punishment is appropriately harsher.

That makes sense. Although should been used in many more situations/crimes/perpetrators. Like all serious sex crimes.

tuluse

Arcane
As long as we're talking about whatever, hate crimes in the US are generally federal crimes, and they were created because the states were refusing to prosecute white people who were lynching or doing other undesirable actions towards black people (and occasionally other minorities).

Now you might think, why don't the feds just charge them with murder/theft/assault/whatever. Well those aren't actually federal crimes in most cases. By creating the class of hate crimes, they were able to cover everything with one law instead of having to outlaw everything that the states had already dealt with.

Lorica

Educated
I hope they give the option to play lobsters, too. Our games would teach us a lot as a society if they taught us to see the exact same simulated world as before, except through the eyes of an arthropod.

The game would be even better if there were reactive dialogue:
"Hail, brave knight, our village is under threat from ORCS and we will all die unless somebody saves us! Holy shit, are you a lobster?"

Repressed Homosexual
Hate crimes is just doublespeak meant to be used as a tool for judicial activism, to further a political agenda, and to create special untouchable class of people, it needs to be done away with entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom