Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

keppj0nes

Educated
Broken age is going to be split up and the first half of the game is going to go on sale for people on Steam before they even finish the full game. It's like they sit around thinking of ways to screw up this thing and bring in more money instead of actually working on it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure/posts/527683

Hello, Backers of Adventure!

Those of you who have been following along in the documentary know about the design vs. money tension we’ve had on this project since the early days. Even though we received much more money from our Kickstarter than we, or anybody anticipated, that didn’t stop me from getting excited and designing a game so big that it would need even more money.

I think I just have an idea in my head about how big an adventure game should be, so it’s hard for me to design one that’s much smaller than Grim Fandango or Full Throttle. There’s just a certain amount of scope needed to create a complex puzzle space and to develop a real story. At least with my brain, there is.

So we have been looking for ways to improve our project’s efficiency while reducing scope where we could along the way. All while looking for additional funds from bundle revenue, ports, etc. But when we finished the final in-depth schedule recently it was clear that these opportunistic methods weren’t going to be enough.

We looked into what it would take to finish just first half of our game—Act 1. And the numbers showed it coming in July of next year. Not this July, but July 2014. For just the first half. The full game was looking like 2015! My jaw hit the floor.

This was a huge wake-up call for all of us. If this were true, we weren’t going to have to cut the game in half, we were going to have to cut it down by 75%! What would be left? How would we even cut it down that far? Just polish up the rooms we had and ship those? Reboot the art style with a dramatically simpler look? Remove the Boy or Girl from the story? Yikes! Sad faces all around.

Would we, instead, try to find more money? You guys have been been very generous in the tip jar (thanks!) but this is a larger sum of money we were talking about. Asking a publisher for the money was out of the question because it would violate the spirit of the Kickstarter, and also, publishers. Going back to Kickstarter for it seemed wrong. Clearly, any overages were going to have to be paid by Double Fine, with our own money from the sales of our other games. That actually makes a lot of sense and we feel good about it. We have been making more money since we began self-publishing our games, but unfortunately it still would not be enough.

Then we had a strange idea. What if we made some modest cuts in order to finish the first half of the game by January instead of July, and then released that finished, polished half of the game on Steam Early Access? Backers would still have the option of not looking at it, of course, but those who were sick of waiting wouldn’t have to wait any more. They could play the first half of the game in January!

We were always planning to release the beta on Steam, but in addition to that we now have Steam Early Access, which is a new opportunity that actually lets you charge money for pre-release content. That means we could actually sell this early access version of the game to the public at large, and use that money to fund the remaining game development. The second part of the game would come in a free update a few months down the road, closer to April-May.

:retarded:

Okay, it's true, Double Fine cannot into project management. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Mrowak This is what you're worried that Obsidian will do.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Double Fine. MOAR LIKE DOUBLE FACEPALM Duuuuuuh.

Seriously though this is kinda embarrassing.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How considerate of them to let us know about this 5 days after their last kickstarter closed. :roll:

Diablo169

Arcane
So the first popular game kickstarter appears to be a mismanaged clusterfuck. But its ok, they have extra money from their vaporware second kickstarter to throw at this project now.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Metro get in here.

And I know SRR returns devs had to cut their game in two also and they too have run into financial trouble but this is just on a completely different level of mismanagement. It sure bodes well for Massive Chalice, whose KS money will in no way go towards making BA, not at all, honest.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow... but I'm sure people will still defend this shit. But hey at least they made a cool documentary! Duuuuurrrrrrrrrr. How much did these fuckers get? $3+ million? And can't make an adventure game on that budget? Doesn't Wadjet Eye manage to do it with... a tenth of that budget? Hell it's probably less than that.

Derple Fine is a joke. It's hipster welfare at its finest. Overpaid, overstaffed slackers.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Reboot the art style with a dramatically simpler look?

:lol: Myeah, stick figures WOULD be pretty cheap.

So what the fuck does it take so long and so much money to make an adventure game with those graphics?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess they really just wanted to make an AAA game. I wonder what budget this game will end up having. 5 million? 8 million?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I really do hope they go out of business... or at least downsize significantly. It's pretty obvious they have no clue how to manage time and resources and/or grossly overpay their employees. Keep in mind aside from the KS and the private capital investment they also had that Humble Bundle a month or so ago. How many more influxes of cash do you need to finish one game?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess they really just wanted to make an AAA game. I wonder what budget this game will end up having. 5 million? 8 million?
I wonder how many mils in red they are going to end up, because I just don't see this selling the numbers necessary to recoup their investment.

EDIT: I mean on this single project, I understand that their other sources of revenue can help them break even

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What I've seen in the documentary from how they work they seem to have quite lax organisation and work environment...sometimes that work and sometimes it doesn't, I guess Double Fine is in the latter group. I can understand and even expect some delays but shouldn't they had calculated at the beginning how big the game will be (how many rooms etc) and how much it would cost them to make it?

If I'd be making a game I'd try to calculate needed schedule and budget as precisely as possible and then see how much we need to cut in the very early of the design phases, or if our original plan is smaller enough so we can add stuff. Also I'd think it should be given that developer leaves some air into the budget to cover delays and going over the budget but I guess that's too foreign thought.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well to be fair, the actual development budget from ks was "only" 1.8 million. With the rest going to documentary and physical pledge rewards.

Still, it sounds like that wouldn't have paid for even half the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And, again, that's not including the fact that they still generate revenue from their existing catalog. Of course having put them in Humble Bundles for $1 they've eroded the profit margin there.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
You're telling me that the company that took ages to make Brutal Legend and Psychonauts is rife with mismanagement and won't deliver a game in time? Well, I'm shocked!

Wizfall

Cipher
Incomprehensible.
It's an adventure game.
Doesn't seem to have awesome graphics or animation.
What cost so much money ?
Very sad when you think about it, i believe most people would have been very happy with a kind of game like Gemini Rue, just a bit longer and with slightly better graphics.

Jazper

Educated
It almost, just almost, makes me understand why Publishers (Business Men) are such complete dicks to Developers (Creative Types). You give a game developer an inch of freedom and they'll be off developing their dream game with their head in the clouds. Sure, it's an admirable pursuit, but unfortunately making games costs real money, the money-men always want a return and people need to be paid.

I think there are many more Kickstarter / Early Access screw-ups to come. Shadowrun Returns being released this month should at least be good test of what can actually be achieved with such budgets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom