Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking News! Gaider is no longer working at Bioware.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So now you're complaining that his characters weren't a complete rip-off of other characters. :M

Lhynn

Arcane
No, im complaining that if they were there they would have been much better, only because of how low the bar is set.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Joss Whedon is a Bioware-tier writer imo.

I'm glad he was bullied off twitter.

So now you're complaining that his characters weren't a complete rip-off of other characters. :M
Nah, I'm complaining that they were a very superficial ripoff of equally superficial, but fun characters. I'm not against homages (and sometimes even ripoffs) done right in RPGs. One of my favourite Hunter: the Reckoning characters was an Alexander Anderson ripoff after all. In CRPGs it's more tricky, of course, but it's entirely possile to make a good NPC heavily based on someone else's work. But take Zevran, for example, not only he doesn't even resemble Spike neither in appearance, nor in writing, he's also just sorta badly written. Would've criticized more, but after DA2 NPCs and, especially, DAI - Zevran was not so bad in comparison.

hell bovine

Arcane
Nah, I'm complaining that they were a very superficial ripoff of equally superficial, but fun characters. I'm not against homages (and sometimes even ripoffs) done right in RPGs. One of my favourite Hunter: the Reckoning characters was an Alexander Anderson ripoff after all. In CRPGs it's more tricky, of course, but it's entirely possile to make a good NPC heavily based on someone else's work. But take Zevran, for example, not only he doesn't even resemble Spike neither in appearance, nor in writing, he's also just sorta badly written. Would've criticized more, but after DA2 NPCs and, especially, DAI - Zevran was not so bad in comparison.
I actually liked Alistair more than Whedon's creations. Most of them I found annoying; I liked the premise of the TV show, but I didn't watch all of it and wouldn't bother nowadays.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, the Codex. I enjoy games, only to find years later that they were badly plagiarized turds, and to then find myself agreeing with those opinions.:|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom