Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Bravely Default

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Weeb. You can't tell the desu speak sucks too because you don't speak the damn language.

EDIT: But seriously, you still have the boss fights, and job stuff. Which basically is another breaking the game simulator by Square. They're really good at those.

Perkel

Arcane
So i got back after a while to the game. I am near Temple of Fire (have to fight with its "boss") and i get freaking destroyed on easy. lvl33 my chars. Yeah i used ancounter 0 to skip 2 dungeons (which were basically just mazes with shitload of random battles with same dudes over again) but i have latest gear i can have and yet i am destroyed.

Things i noticed:

- weapon + shield is absolute garbage
- two weapons are garbage
- only viable malee is double handed
- enemy attacks that uses status almost always get in on all chars
- my statuses almost never work (be it bosses or mobs)
- i have almost 50% of jobs at this point i can mix and match abilities but i don't see anything interesting to mix.
- equipment cost a fortune and literally hours of grinding (even with merchant)

Right now i grind before fire temple to get most of my classes to at least 5-7 lvl as just leveling does jack shit.
Village and Supers customization for now seems way to tedious.

I can't seem to figure it out. Either i suck at this game for some reason (other than being retarded) or game is like this actually where you need to find actually that breaking game combo to progress.

My main problem is elemental and overall status attacks. My defense is ok for most of stuff bet when it comes to elemental attacks they anihilate me be it mob or boss. I mean there is this side dude who uses one attack on all my party members that does like 6k damage each and it isn't elemental or physical to begin with....

TigerKnee

Arcane
If you want to hit bosses with statuses, you need to use the Level 2 Rod Special "Withering Ripple" which lowers their resistance to them by a lot (unless they're completely immune, which is rarer than you think for certain statuses like Poison)

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
You also need higher Int than their MDef or they won't work.

grudgebringer

Perkel, on Fire Temple demon I'd recommend you to complete all other side quests before going for it. It's one of the hardest.

Actually all you need is to make sure you can withstand his massive one per several turns attack on your party. You can deal with it by going into default mode right before it starts (demon changes stance, revealing its eye). After you pass that stage waste all your accumulated brave points into multiple attacks imbued with lightning type of damage. You'll have to repeat this phase several times, healing yourself in the meantime.

i have almost 50% of jobs at this point i can mix and match abilities but i don't see anything interesting to mix.

You aren't that far into the game right now to judge that. Those combinations start to appear in later portions of the game. Be brave, man, it'll be a long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel, on Fire Temple demon I'd recommend you to complete all other side quests before going for it. It's one of the hardest.

I did already complete almost all sidequests in the game so far. Only thing i left to do is Salve maker dude who obliterates me either way.

Either way. I had to restore my previous emunand and i lost save to BD. I will start it again soon and try to beat it.
Though i am retard as i was able to restore save but i didn't know that when you reinstall game in FBI and it throws out warning that game is already installed you just need to cancel it to show that game in home menu....

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Started playing this yesterday. Is the Hard difficulty a decent challenge or a HP bloat? Playing on Normal right now.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Slightly more life and damage, still easily hard countered.

Jinn

Arcane
So has anyone here played much of Bravely Default 2? I know it was rough around the edges during its demo period, but heard they took a lot of the criticism seriously and made some changes. Curious if any codexer has played it at least somewhat extensively.

Perkel

Arcane
So has anyone here played much of Bravely Default 2?

After finishing BD1 i don't want to have anything to do with BD franchize ever. One of the worst JRPGs i have ever played.

Even C-Tier jrpgs have better story, world building, pacing, writting and so on than BD.

Literally whole game had 10 "screens" worth of cities from its 4 cities and that is it this is the whole world you will see because everything else is just shitty grindy copy paste maps. In 60+ hour game.

It is literally definition of selling cheap shit with big marketing. Like you would buy Mercedes S class made by Tata and it might look like merc from outside but inside you realize it stinks shit.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bravely Default overall is basically what if someone took Final Fantasy III-V, smashed all of them together, stirred the mix for a bit and made it a bit harder, as now you are playing it as an adult, and the served it up.
For me some of my first rpgs were Final Fantasy III and IV, and I love that style of gameplay. Bravely Default is perfect for me.

To say something about Bravely Default II specifically:
The game feels much more like a retro JRPG than BD 1 and BS.
The game is absolutely littered with treasure, which is hidden in interesting ways. Camera angles, hidden doors and switches and all. The last top down game where I walked straight into a wall because it was suspiciously placed, and got rewarded by a hidden path and treasure was an old FF for me, so this was delightfull.
They got Revo back for the soundtrack. This means no more cheap electro bullshit, but actual music. You can hear the comparison here:

This feeds nicely into the characters, as together with having banger tracks they are the most developed in the series. The little party convos are a step up in quality, and while no individual character reaches the quality of Ringabel they are the best cast of a Bravely game in total.
The combat is improved. They added conditional turn battles (the initiative system from FFX basically) to the Bravely formula. So instead of inputting all moves, and then it playing out depending on initiative like in Dragon Quest, you get a turn where you do something, and depending on how slow the action is you take your next turn comes up faster or slower.
The character development is also improved. You gain BP much faster, with a lot more jobs than before. This means you can mix and match jobs at your leisure and experiment much more. There is a story cap for your job levels at the halfway point of the game, so you can't get super late game abilities before that, but the BP gain is overall much smoother.
Hard difficulty is pretty neatly balanced. It cuts down on XP and BP you get. You still get BP faster on hard than in Bravely I, but you have to face bosses with much weaker skills, which means you need to either git gud or cheese. For me hard difficulty felt near perfect, a tad harder than Dragon Quest XI (on Draconian Stronger Monsters/no Xp from weaker enemies) which I consider the best balanced JRPG difficulty.

Some problems with the game I had were enemy design and cheesability. Some abilities are ridiculously overpowered, to the point where they butcher the otherwise nice difficulty curve. With how fast you gain XP and BP it is very easy to stumble upon a few of these early, and then just curbstomp the game to bits.
Also some boss designs feel just annoying, and made to be cheesed. There is a boss fairly early who is strange adds in combat. Those are immune to ridiculous amount of damage types. From my 4 dudes only one could actually damage the enemy, leading to a silly game of everyone using ethers on my red mage, who was the only one who could even deal damage. That should obviously never happen in a well balanced game.
Also it lacks some clear QoL and general polish, like missing a quest log.

If I were to rank them overall it is Bravely Default 1=2 > Bravely Second.

Jinn

Arcane
Thanks for the detailed post, Thac0! That certainly bumped the game from maybe check out someday on a super deep sale to keeping a close eye on for the next time I'm craving an challenging old-school style JRPG. I'd probably be looking to get it even sooner if I didn't have a number of games lined up already (Wrath of the Righteous and Vagrus being the main ones). The difficulty, combat, and class (ie Job) system, in particular sound great.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I will wait for a drm free version before removing it from an imaginary inventory.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Wanted to give some love to my 3ds so i started this game after spending hours fucking around with undub and uncensor patches. Only a few hours into the game and the soundtrack is fucking amazing, if you ever play it, use fucking headphones instead of the shitty 3ds speakers.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Bravely Default is a gem of a game. It's like going back in time, when Squaresoft was making games with charm. If you like jRPGs, this should be on your to-play list.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
It's interesting to see how BD and BS were made by the same company while BDII was made by a completely new studio with Square Enix staff in charge of the project, a lot of QOL features that i see in Bravely Default were completely lacking in BDII in the time i played it (finished the sand map and dropped the game because something more promising came out at the time) which are vital because let's be honest, the game expects you to grind. I'm playing BD on hard mode and boss fights feel just right, while i have been auto battling every random encounter because my monk is OP.

In past years i have seen a lot of people call the game overrated or outright shit while at the time journos didn't shy away from 9's. Game was released 2013 for Nihon and 2014 for the American release, at the time there were not any games that carried the torch of the job system of FF V and can't remember any single big JRPG at the time so i remember the market being starved for classic JRPG. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the road about this game, people that call it now shit were probably overhyped while playing it because of the high scores this game received so they were dissapointed.

Will talk about this game thoroughly once i finish, don't want to praise it too much just yet.

I keep hearing this game talked up by people online, but I don't see that there's anything special about it. It's too easy for the mechanics to be engaging and the story and characters seem bog-standard. Does it get any better after the first town?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I keep hearing this game talked up by people online, but I don't see that there's anything special about it. It's too easy for the mechanics to be engaging and the story and characters seem bog-standard. Does it get any better after the first town?

We are talking about 1, i presume:
nah, it's good. It's not really that great, it's a real JRPG for the 3DS and is more nostalgia driven than great. There is nothing special about it, it's good enough mind that it's worth the purchase (on DS... ) if you like the genre.

The chibi look is understandable on 3Ds i have no love for it for the second game on higher end platforms.

I guess it's just that most Industry JRPGs are crap and compared it definitely stands out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom