Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodlines first time , which clan ?

That's the nice thing about PnP: everything has the potential to be OP with creativity... just needs a ST douchey enough to throw in the hoops.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
What are those two Investigation dialogue options btw? I never ever leveled up Investigation due to it seeming a really gay way of wasting XP.
I know one involved seeing through Knox's attempt to manipulate you into offing the Kuei-jin for him, but I can't share any more details on it (having never done it on account of never caring enough). Don't know about any others, though.

On Celerity, the 20th anniversary edition edited it to cost a blood point for every extra action you want to take in that turn (up to your Celerity max per turn), like the Dark Ages implementation. It's not perfect, but there you have it. It's certainly less complicated than some house rulings I've seen, at least.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any race with a social skills as main strong point will be good. You'll enjoy the game more that way. Put skill points in two social skills like Intimidating/Persuasion/Seduction, it's useful. Also firearms kinda suck, excluding boss fights I recommend melee, especially katana when you find one.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Social skills are the way to go in Bloodlines, even my Brujah had some.

Rod Rodderson said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
What are those two Investigation dialogue options btw? I never ever leveled up Investigation due to it seeming a really gay way of wasting XP.
On Celerity, the 20th anniversary edition edited it to cost a blood point for every extra action you want to take in that turn (up to your Celerity max per turn), like the Dark Ages implementation. It's not perfect, but there you have it. It's certainly less complicated than some house rulings I've seen, at least.
Well the best solutions are the simple ones.

I can imagine the drama it caused. But at least it'll fall on White Wolf and not on the poor STs :lol:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Again, there are NO Clans with social skills as a strong point, since the starting points are pathetic in number and completely irrelevant past the first handful of quests.

Ultimately, Clan just affects your disciplines, or a more unique experience (Nosferatu and Malkavian having the best experiences with the game).

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
First of all, you are super lucky not having played Bloodlines. It's my favorite aRPG of all time.

For a first playthrough, ie one where you will miss a lot of things and probably not quite get all of the nuances of the story and game mechanics, I would play a Ventrue and be loyal to the Camarilla.

There are multiple reasons, number one being that Ventrue kick ass, you have a set idea of what choices you will be making your character: You want power. Whether you follow someone else or lead yourself, your entire object is power over other Vampires politically. You are the top dog. Make choices that lead you to that spot.

You will have a great time playing as a lackey, you will have an easy time through the game with your mass domination discipline, your drawback of not draining rats is not a big deal.

The biggest reason I would choose a loyal Ventrue is that you'll get a great idea of the game and end it not quite the way that you might want to. It will set you up for a second playthrough with some things unanswered, a better knowledge of the game world and therefore an understanding of what's going on, and your second time will be almost as good as your first.

(Second being something like a loyal Tremere, anarch Brujah, fuckin awesome sneaky ninja motherfucker Nosferatu, and then the almighty amazing Malkavian playthrough.)

Good luck and have fun!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
first playthrough is best with malk. it is the most memorable and it will make you like the game much more than any other clan. playing malk after you already played the game as something else will only lessen The Malkavian Experience™.

Gord

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
first playthrough is best with malk. it is the most memorable and it will make you like the game much more than any other clan. playing malk after you already played the game as something else will only lessen The Malkavian Experience™.

To the contrary I'd say that you can enjoy Malkavian a lot more when you can actually compare it to a "normal" clan, know a bit about some of the hints you get as a Malk and the differences to the other clans.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Everytime I start Bloodlines I swear to myself that this time I'll play another clan. But everytime I end up picking the Tremere. Camarilla ftw!

Konjad said:
Also firearms kinda suck

Lie. I'd go as far as to say that firearms are the only option if you want combat to have a resemblance of fun. 5 points in Unarmed eventually is good though, for feeding. I'd recommend choosing only Persuasion or Intimidation in same playthrough, always made more sense to me. Seduction isn't very useful if you are a male, but it does provide you with cool moments.
Yet the best thing to do in this game is play through it multiple times and explore all this shit for yourself (duh), it really is worth it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Finding out knox is bullshitting you with the asian vampire and finding out that someone sent the location of the sarcophagus to the professor.

Castanova

Prophet
Bros, I need help. I have the CD version (is there any other?) in CD image file format. After I mount CD1 using MagicISO, I choose the language in the installer, and it starts "preparing for install" or whatever... and then the whole thing disappears. The process is gone and everything. It's like the autorun program tries to kick off the actual installation but fails or something.

I'm on Vista x64.

Anyone else have this problem?

The other odd twist is that I've installed the game on this very same computer previously without any apparent problem. Oh, and yes, I've tried using the x64 installer from gamecopyworld and it doesn't make any difference.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There is a 64 bit installer somewhere. Search google.

After installing use the Wesp or clan quest patch, otherwise it will not start due to reported memory overflowing on 64 bit os (if you have more than 4 gb).

Edit: Suggest to run the installer from a console to see the errors it outputs (if any).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
SCO said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Finding out knox is bullshitting you with the asian vampire and finding out that someone sent the location of the sarcophagus to the professor.
Well hip-hip-fucking-hoorray. That makes it slightly more useful than Intimidate and Subterfuge.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Gotta catch them all

Blunt fangs... mutter... 1xp for every 3xp...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
SCO said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Well hip-hip-fucking-hoorray. That makes it slightly more useful than Intimidate and Subterfuge.

Interesting. I always wondered that too.

dr. one

Augur
SuicideBunny said:
first playthrough is best with malk. it is the most memorable and it will make you like the game much more than any other clan.
I agree, but I´d say this is actually a very good reason for not playing Malkavian first.
Playing Malkavian will very likely be the most memorable experience no matter on what playthrough it happens, but if done on a first one there´s nothing left to top it with, resulting in comparatively blander replays.

SuicideBunny said:
playing malk after you already played the game as something else will only lessen The Malkavian Experience™.
I wouldn´t say "only".
Metagame-y knowledge may lessen The Malkavian Experience™´s mindfuck value to some extent, but on the other hand there´s quite a lot of stuff which can´t be really appreciated without it. I´d say it´s a wash.

FatCat said:
I decided to go with Tremere.
:thumbsup:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Jaesun said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
SCO said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Interesting. I always wondered that too.

Thanks to the sciencemajick of grep and the linux console i've been able to confirm that

Code:
find . -name '*' -exec grep -H "Inspection" {} \;
./main characters/johansen.dlg:{	402	}{	Sounds like you're hiding something? Care to share?	}{	Sounds like you're hiding something? Care to share?	}{	411	}{	pc.CalcFeat("Inspection") > 4 or IsClan(pc,"Malkavian")	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	LYING!	}
./santa monica/knox.dlg:{	222	}{	Something about your story is a little off, Knox.	}{	Something about your story is a little off, Knox.	}{	411	}{	(pc.CalcFeat("Inspection") > 2 or IsClan(pc,"Malkavian")) and G.Bertram_Plant == 0	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	The truth does not match the words that fall from your mouth.	}
./santa monica/knox.dlg:{	232	}{	Something about your story is a little off, Knox.	}{	Something about your story is a little off, Knox.	}{	411	}{	(pc.CalcFeat("Inspection") > 2 or IsClan(pc,"Malkavian")) and G.Bertram_Plant == 0	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	}{	The truth does not match the words that fall from your mouth.	}

Malkavians get those lines for free, making it even more useless.

Eyeball

Arcane
Also, grab the minimod that puts makes the default Nosferatu character model put a fucking shirt on instead of looking like a bondage whore. Made my Nosferatu playthrough far more tolerable, I'll tell you that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's in the clan quest mod. As well as some other skin mods you should NOT install when given the option.

The only other one i liked wasn't there yet (the brujah female reskin).

visions

Arcane
I sorta like the Nosferatu S&M outfit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom