Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodlines first time , which clan ?

FatCat

Educated
Well not the first , but i played it so long ago i hardly remember anything.
From what i found on other forums it's recommended not to play Malkavian or Nosferatu on first playtrough.
I kind a filtered Brujah and Gangrel as filler combat easy mode , no good for dialogs.
So i am left with Toreador , Tremere and Ventrue.

Which would you recommend as most fun to play ? Tremere seem interesting with their "magic".Toreador and Ventrue are both social , so i guess it's good for storyfag.

I am torn.Help Codex , please?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I played the first time with a Tremere. It's perfect for a Camarilla ending, and you also get an unique haven in Strauss' chantry.

Ventrue are good for social characters ( obviously) but also have it easy on combat if you level fortitude.

Toreador not so much, the models are ugly as fuck.

Tremere is easy and powerful. But I think Nosferatu is pretty good still, you got obfuscate which makes it nicer to play through some of the shittier parts in the game.

Be sure to unlock those backround traits or whatever they are, done with some console command or some such.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nosferatu was my favourite run, lots of clan specific lines. ;)

Only bad thing are those SM costumes you have to wear. What the fuck were they thinking?

Gord

Arcane
Not Malkavian (reserve that clan for another time, but do play it at least once) and I wouldn't play Nosferatu first time, either.

Pick whatever you want from the rest.

Roderick

Savant
yeah don't play malkavian at first but you may want to replay it as a malkavian.

I played as a Tremere the first time but just beacuse i answered the questionarie and decided what the hell i'll just try this clan. it was really nice

FatCat

Educated
Excidium said:
I played the first time with a Tremere. It's perfect for a Camarilla ending, and you also get an unique haven in Strauss' chantry.

Really ? I tough Ventrue was perfect for it.For now i am leaning towards Ventrue , because it feels like most "vannila" experience , i do plan on replaying game plenty of times .If Tremere has some serious clan-specific stuff i may keep them for later.

Atheist said:
Answer the questions on character creation.

It gives me Gangrel or Toreador :?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gord said:
Not Malkavian (reserve that clan for another time, but do play it at least once) and I wouldn't play Nosferatu first time, either.

Pick whatever you want from the rest.
:thumbsup:

Eyeball

Arcane
First playthrough? Toreador. Got good social skills so you'll get most dialogue options, they're straightforward to play in combat and look human enough to not get shit from random strangers.

Second playthrough: Nosferatu. Interesting stealth gameplay and a lot of fucking hilarious lines from people around you, my favourite being Fat Larry calling you a goddamn S&M gremlin.

Third playthrough: Tremere. Additional lines from Strauss and others and the most pure mage gameplay around.

Fourth playthrough: Malkavian, for the lolz factor.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Tremere, frankly because they were the best looking. Later when I compared them to the other classes, I mean clans, they also came out on top.

Plus, awesome clothes.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Go with Ventrue or Tremere, I guess. OR find the mod that adds all clans and pick the :obviously: Tzimisce :smug:

I wonder... does the Prince get additional lines if you're a Ventrue? Does Isaac (or any other Toreador, while we're at it) get some if you're a Toreador?

As for misc. advice: try to max out lockpicking and computer hacking, both will get you far :M

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
FatCat said:
Excidium said:

Really ? I tough Ventrue was perfect for it.
Well, minor spoiler:
It's because the Tremere regent is the main NPC in the Camarilla side.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I found Tremere to be annoying to play due to 'spells' taking blood. So ended using guns instead, at which point I might as well have used another clan that didn't have physical attribute penalty.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Tremere, nosferatu, Malkavian in that order for your three playthroughs. that'll let you see pretty much all the content in the game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Eyeball said:
First playthrough? Toreador. Got good social skills so you'll get most dialogue options, they're straightforward to play in combat and look human enough to not get shit from random strangers.

Second playthrough: Nosferatu. Interesting stealth gameplay and a lot of fucking hilarious lines from people around you, my favourite being Fat Larry calling you a goddamn S&M gremlin.

Third playthrough: Tremere. Additional lines from Strauss and others and the most pure mage gameplay around.

Fourth playthrough: Malkavian, for the lolz factor.
This is the key to understanding the Codex.

Anyway, ultimately your dialogue Skills are vastly more important than Disciplines, which have considerably less checks and usually don't get the best results. In fact, disregard every other dialogue skill than Persuasion while you're at it, unless you want to sex Jeanette. Persuasion is the most important skill, followed by Computer, Scholarship and Security. Stealth is utterly useless, don't waste points on it, as is Brawl. Subterfuge, Intimidate and Seduction are of limited use in my opinion, since Persuasion seems to overlap with ALL of them and usually gets the better results, usually the other three are just for lulz and larping (and fucking Jeanette). Finance is pretty pointless, I recall it only being used to give you extra money when you get quest rewards, and you'll probably end up with a load of money anyway if you remember to sell weapons you find and don't use. Melee is your first and foremost combat skill most of the game, with Firearms only coming alongside it later when guns get more devastating. Dodge is something you raise when you can't think of anything smart to save for.

When you create your character, the thing you'll want to do the most is to focus all the points available in each category to a single stat, due to how XP costs work. A single Attribute at 3 nets you more savings in XP than two at 2, for example.

Back on the topic though, I'd recommend a clan with Celerity. The combat is piss-easy for the most part anyway (only some exceptions, like the Downtown parking hall with the gang-bangers and Tongs), with most of the game being melee-heavy, and lategame switching to guns occasionally. But if you're having trouble with combat somewhere, just activate Celerity and breeze through, and there's a certain boss that you may or may not face but most likely will face that will be considerably easier with Celerity. In fact, saying your Clan affects your dialogue skills considerably is a load of shit, since it really only alters your starting skills which you aren't going to leave at that for a long time. The most important things your choice of Clan does is the Discipline selection and unique features/dialogue of the Clan, most notable ones being Nosferatu and Malkavian. With the exception of the slight alterations Tremere have, everyone else is largely interchangeable.

It should also be noted that playing as either Nosferatu or Malkavian is the actual easy mode of the game, due to the fact Obfuscate is the king of the mountain when it comes to disciplines (pro-tip: You never need to raise it above 2, since you can stealth kill at that point, the description lies to you about Silent Killer level being necessary).

But yes, play as Malkavian AFTER you've completed the game with at least one other Clan, since you can catch a lot of the hidden spoilers in Malk dialogue choices then.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
FatCat said:
How about Ventrue domination in dialog's ? Any good ?

It's kind of the "I win" dialogue choice most of the time you can use it. If you mean the writing involving the use of the discipline, it's nothing remarkable, there's some funny lines, specially if you try to use it on a vampire more powerful than you.

FatCat said:
And how much persuasion is enough ?
As much as you can get for a reasonable amount of XP... Keep in mind that while domination frequently overlaps persuasion, it is still useful as sometimes you can't use dominate.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Maxed out Persuasion baybe. Nothing less will do.

Actually, IIRC seven was the hardest difficulty in the game for Persuasion, which is the good guy (read: best, as in most XP and phat lewt) resolution for a quest involving two geriatric Chinese hitmen.

In general, I don't see much point in getting Domination for the dialogue options. It's usually just "I don't have time for this crap" choice, and NOT in the sense that you could avoid quests with it. Domination is also available less often than Persuasion (which is pretty much all over the game), and gets lesser results (though it isn't downright useless most of the time, like Intimidate).

EDIT: And it can't be stressed enough, the results you get by using Persuasion are most often BETTER than what you'd get by using, say, Dominate instead. Which is why Persuasion is always preferable.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Word on Bloodlines' forums and all that says Toreador is pretty good for a first time or so, given Celerity is so totally OP that you can win most combat without much trouble if you focus on it and one combat skill, my preference being Guns. This frees you a lot of points to spend on a wide variety of skills to see as much of the game as you can.

My personal recomendation, however, would be to use a Tremere. They get a really classy haven and Thaumaturgy, which is awesomely awesome no matter how much did Bloodlines butcher the discipline. And the Tremere girl gets some fine looking clothes, too. Its the best clan, at least until someone manages to mod us some Tzimisce Kolduns, Ravnos, or Kiasyd into the game.

If you go Tremere, however, do not pick the background thingie that makes your Thaumaturgy better as Strauss will give you an item, during the game, that gives exactly the same bonus, and both didn't stack last time I did check.

Leonard DeVir

Educated
Well, its a game where you cant do a lot of mistaks with character building, and all the skills are usefull, depending on the situation, of course. If you want to use diplomacy a lot, you want persusiation as high as possible, as Vaarna_Aarne stated.

Ive played the game three times, at first with Tremere, then Ventrue, at last Malkavian.

I also recommed Tremere for the first time, they arent really weak in combat and very good at socializing --> you will get more/better/altered information.

Malkavians are an experience you wont forget, haha. Just dont take them for your first playthrough, because dialogue and some situations may be ...weird, and you might end up confused.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Toreador is also easy mode because of celerity.

I'd use the clan quest mod with the camarilla edition option and buy a discipline with the console (not much of a favor, one more thing to spend points on).

Animalism is op with a stealth play-through, since you can attack from shadows at a distance and get your blood back and never be discovered. This only works ok with humans though (90% of the game, big deal).

The game is pretty easy to be honest - except if you utterly neglect the sidequest opportunities, where it's possible for you to run headfirst on the wall of the sewers or hollowbrook.

Don't be a bitch and go Malkavian this shit up. The whole bitching about they give spoilers is nonsense, you only know what 'spoiling' if you've already done the game spoilered yourself if you get my meaning. Most people will disagree with me but those that have gone Malk for first time know that it's the most glorious brain fuck you'll ever receive and one of the most unique game experiences you'll ever have.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wesp removed the blunt fangs history from brujah and toreador leaving it only to the nosferatu.

That thing gives +1 exp bonus for every 3 points, at the cost of slightly less blood gained.

WEEEESSSSSP!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom