Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Blind newfag plays Pool of Radiance!

Erebus

Arcane
u15064.png

Well, that was sudden.

I remember reading the "Pool of Radiance" novel. It's fairly close to the game... which is to say it doesn't exactly have a very elaborate plot. Cadorna wasn't an especially interesting villain, but I still liked him more than the three heroes of the book.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Buccaneers and Zhentil Outpost are too easy at this stage of the game. They really should have beefed up those pathetically weak and unarmed buccaneers and the zhentil troops. Too bad the game is not easily moddable (except maybe by hex editing) or I would have done that myself.

Did you get Gauntlets of Ogre Power from one of the Zhentil officers? I didn't see it in any of the screenshots.

The reward from the House Bioware Bivant seems to be a bug, as it is excactly the same as you get from accepting the Graveyard mission. I don't remember the rewards being the same when I played the Amiga version several times.

The gauntlets in Magnus' inventory were from that box with the seal of Cadorna (hence the joke about double crossing him) he found in the slums, and paid the old thief in the well to snag the contents and forge a new seal. Since Cadorna turned out to be a traitor, I wonder if it's worth it to open the box and take everything instead of bothering with forgery.

Monstrous Bat seems to be doing quite well - in fact, he didn't have major trouble ever since the slums. I don't even want to think about how badly he would be raping the game if he rerolled for perfect stats at the beginning.

So you can choose the first area you go to? When I tried playing this, the tutorial guide showed me the slums, and I couldn't find any other exits, so I assumed the game was linear and other city blocks would be accessed through the slums (admittedly I didn't try mapping the city to be sure I couldn't go to another block).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The gauntlets in Magnus' inventory were from that box with the seal of Cadorna

Yes, but IIRC there was a second pair on one of the Zhentil officers.

Monstrous Bat seems to be doing quite well - in fact, he didn't have major trouble ever since the slums. I don't even want to think about how badly he would be raping the game if he rerolled for perfect stats at the beginning.

He'd be facing much larger mobs.

So you can choose the first area you go to? When I tried playing this, the tutorial guide showed me the slums, and I couldn't find any other exits, so I assumed the game was linear and other city blocks would be accessed through the slums (admittedly I didn't try mapping the city to be sure I couldn't go to another block).

I don't think any area is off limits, so yes the game is totally unlinear in that regard.
Most of the Gold Box games were quite unlinear in theory, but of in practice they were rather linear since enemies were scaled by area.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Did you get Gauntlets of Ogre Power from one of the Zhentil officers? I didn't see it in any of the screenshots.
No, I didn't. It wasn't in the commander's loot, that's sure.
:smug:
In the beginning you have two choices: go to the slums or take a boat to Sokal Keep. The slums is more intersting and (with the exception of the troll fight) easier, although I guess go to Sokal Keep first for the free magical gears isn't a bad idea either.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Stojanow Gate

Reload.

u16001.png

Our next target is Stojanow Gate.

u16002.png

u16003.png

Discuss??

u16004.png

Sure. We're literally having more money than we can carry at this point.

u16005.png

u16006.png

u16007.png

Thanks for the advice.

u16008.png

u16009.png

Ah, fairly strong defence there.

u16010.png

So the wagon we have bought would help us getting into the gate. Nice.

u16011.png

When we approached the gate a bugbear came out offering to take us into the keep.

u16012.png

I... haven't expected this to be so easy.

u16013.png

u16014.png

Let's check out the guard towers...

u16015.png

The Boss has a pet medusa? Sounds nasty.

u16016.png

We'll kill them. Not now, though, because we gotta check out the other guard tower first.

u16017.png

Alright. Now that we have gathered all useful information in this area, let's assault the guard tower.

u16018.png

Bring the battle on!

u16019.png

u16020.png

We had to fight a level 6 mage, a weak fighter, and three ettins. The ettins were tough, but nothing we can't handle.

u16021.png

Stinking Clould is useful against giants, since they're immune to Hold Person.

u16022.png

u16023.png

Loots.

u16024.png

We were going to attack the other guard tower, but they assaulted on us first.

u16025.png

u16026.png

u16027.png

The mage was level 5 in this fight. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as before.

u16028.png

u16029.png

Random encounters like this only happen when enemy was alerted.

u16030.png

Hill giants are tough. They're not as strong as ettins, but the have a unique ability: they can throw large boulders at you, which does heavy damage.

u16031.png

u16032.png

Random encounters in this area seem to be infinite, so we had to bail after a few fights.

u16033.png

When we went through the gate we had to fight a large horde of bugbears (upgraded hobgoblins, basically). I didn't capture any screenshots, though.

u16034.png

Apparently we have cleared the gate.

u16035.png

We're now in the Valjevo Castle area, which, if I'm correct, is the final dungeon of this game. The castle consists of four 16x16 blocks; we're now in the southwestern part. Before we attack the castle, though, we'll clear out the outside first. Oh, and the castle is unmappable, by the way.

u16036.png

u16037.png

Surely the Codexian would be above killing helpless women?

u16038.png

u16039.png

Uhh... Okay.

u16040.png

I don't think the clothing actually did anything, by the way. :decline:

u16041.png

u16042.png

u16043.png

The smith didn't provide any useful information.

u16044.png

u16045.png

Bummers! We don't want to accept Bane's "blessing", do we? Maybe we can talk our way out of this...

u16046.png

We can't. So we chose to kill the priests instead.

u16047.png

They left us with some nice loots.

u16048.png

Sure. What can possibly go wrong?

u16049.png

u16050.png

The outcome was actually better than I had expected.

u16051.png

Well, back to the city. The +1 platemail and +3 mace went to Procrastianna. The +3 longsword (found in the temple of Bane) can't be wielded by us, so we threw them away.

u16052.png

u16053.png

u16054.png

Back to the castle, we killed some hill giants who gave us a lot us XP.

u16055.png

u16056.png

And found some shitty "treasure". (7 gold pieces, seriously?)

u16057.png

And stumbled into some random trap.

u16058.png

While we were wandering around, some hill giants rushed out, accusing us for stealing from Bane. We killed them without trouble, but the alarm has already starting ringing.

u16059.png

After having killed several groups of monsters, however, the alarm died down again.

u16060.png

u16061.png

We found a well in some small building.

u16062.png

u16063.png

:yeah:

u16064.png

:eek:

u16065.png

Why sure, we'll help you. Help you by putting an end to your misery.

u16066.png

Ah fuck. So we can't just kill him after all. I recall seeing a file in Kovel Mansion which says that a password is needed to enter the castle gate, and I'm afraid that we're not getting into the castle without Cadorna's help.

u16067.png

Note that while Cadorna is travelling with us, he doesn't fight in combats. :rage:

u16068.png

The snakes are probably poisonous, so we used Stinking Cloud to make sure they don't get to attack us.

u16069.png

:yawn:

u16070.png

u16071.png

u16072.png

u16073.png

Two envoys. They're just like the envoys we fought in the kobold cave. Nothing special.

u16074.png

u16075.png

u16076.png

We found some scrap documents as we searched around the room.

u16077.png

u16078.png

u16079.png

u16080.png

u16081.png

More infodump. I think it's clear at this point that Tyranthraxus is The Boss.

u16082.png

u16083.png

Naturally, we went for the most violent option here.

u16084.png

u16085.png

u16086.png

u16087.png

u16088.png

Let me see... "RHODIA". Great, now we know the password. Cadorna is useless now, so we would kill him... Except the game won't let us. :rage: Railroading shit!

u16089.png

Four giants? Meh, we've killed more than a doz--

u16090.png

Wait. These are not hill giants... They're fire giants.

u16091.png

Fire giants are tough. They are hard to kill, since they have so many HP and are immune to fire spells.

u16092.png

And they hit very, very hard.

u16093.png

u16094.png

u16095.png

Eventually, we won, but almost everyone has been heavily wounded in the fight. Thankfully, we can rest in this area as long as the alarm isn't ringing.

u16096.png

u16097.png

Here's another way of learning the password. Now I really wish we'd killed Cadorna when we had the chance.

u16098.png

Murdering fire giants in their sleep? Of course we can't let go of a chance like this!

u16099.png

:rage:

A fight with four fire giants then occured. Not really diffrent from the last one.

u16100.png

Okay, castle surroundings cleared. Back to the city, we identified some items and found out that the longsword we had found in the well was a +2 longsword of flame tongue. I gave it to Elwro.

u16101.png

u16102.png

u16103.png

u16104.png

u16105.png

Killing the giants has earned us a shitton of XP. Everyone but Elwro and Grunker has hit the level cap.

DUNGEON MAPS

Stojanow Gate:
STOJANOW.png

Valjevo Castle (partial):
CASTLEPART.png

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, TYRANTHRAXUS!
:mob:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Valjevo Castle

Reload.

u17001.png

The time has finally came. We now stand in front of Valjevo Castle, the lair of Tyranthraxus. Our journey is near the end.

u17002.png

Oh FFS why does everyone know that?

u17003.png

:rage:

u17004.png

We didn't even have the chance to tell them the password. As it turns out, though, we could just cast Knock on the gate to open it.

u17005.png

And now we're inside the castle!

The castle is basically a very large maze. There're no random encounters unless the alarm is ringing. There're a few fixed encounters, but they're rare and mostly optional.

jentry29.png

jentry41.png

Remember these maps? We found them in Kovel Mansion. They're very helpful since manually mapping out the castle would be fairly painful. Unfortunately, only the northeastern and northwestern parts are mapped out.

u17006.png

Walls in the castle are not actually walls but hedges of poisonous thorns. We CAN pass through them, but if someone got pricked by the thorns it's an instant death.

u17007.png

We found this man in the northwestern corner of the castle.

u17008.png

Alright. You may go.

u17009.png

I hope this decision wouldn't come back to bite us in the ass.

u17010.png

u17011.png

There's a fixed troll encounter in the northeastern corner of the castle.

u17012.png

We had to fight eight trolls here (one of them was offscreen). Thankfully, the narrow corridor means we don't have to fight them all at once.

u17013.png

u17014.png

And Fireballs make short work of them.

u17015.png

I'd fucked up a bit here, and Elwro was knocked unconscious. But we could just rest here anyway, so it's no big deal.

CASTLEHALF.png

Anyway, let's take a look at the map. As you can see, There's a large area in the center of the castle that haven't been mapped out - you don't have to be a genius to figure out that it's the lair of Tyranthraxus. There's a door in the northwestern part that leads into the central room which can't be accessed from the northern part of the castle. We're probably supposed to search the southern parts for a passage that leads to the central part.

u17016.png

Fuck that. Completionists can go fuck themselves. Nothing really stops us from just slicing through the hedges anyway. The insta-death sometimes doesn't even happen.

u17017.png

We entered a seemingly bare room, but the southern walls are in fact illusional, and we could just pass through.

u17018.png

And then we found a stairway. Hurrah!

u17019.png

The stairs led to a 1x1 room with another stairway.

u17020.png

This doesn't seem good.

u17021.png

So this is the medusa they were talking about, huh?

u17022.png

The medusa doesn't have many HP. Which is good, because we absolutely don't want to give her the chance to act.

u17023.png

:yawn:

u17024.png

The medusa room was empty. Back to the 1x1 room, however, we discovered a secret door.

u17025.png

Passing through it, we found yet another stairway.

u17026.png

u17027.png

Oh, so the trapdoor just leads to the medusa's room. Boring.

u17028.png

We were attacked by a level 1 thief in another room. He's pious, I'll give him that much.

u17029.png

u17030.png

Who the hell are you, anyway?

u17031.png

No. We're too paranoid for that. Die.

u17032.png

u17033.png

He was easily dispatched.

u17034.png

The loot was an unidentified wand, which later turned out to be a Wand of Lightning.

u17035.png

And finally, after going up another stairway, we found ourselves in Tyranthraxus' hall!

u17036.png

So The Boss IS a metallic dragon after all. Here's a message to the silver dragon dude: Fuck you and your "we metallic dragons are good" bullshit, thank you, end of rine.

u17037.png

Before we can fight Tyranthraxus, we must fight his strongest minions first.

u17038.png

And they're strong indeed: twelve level 8 fighters, all of whom have 87 HP and 1 AC.

u17039.png

u17040.png

u17041.png

u17042.png

Killing them in melee would take forever, so we spam disabling spells to make things a bit easier.

u17043.png

The battle was a tough one, but we did win in the end.

u17044.png

u17045.png

Before we ends the fight, we used spells and potions to heal our wounds.

u17046.png

I also had our fighters drink Potions of Speed, which casts Haste on them. Oh, and in case you're wondering where'd Hero gone: he got heavily wounded in the fight and ran away. Coward.

u17047.png

Oh, and by the way, I had Procrastianna cast Animate Dead for reasons I can't recall. Anyway, it turned out that this spell raises fallen enemy and makes them fight for you. I should've used this earlier.

u17048.png

And then we ended the fight.

u17049.png

They left us with many loots. Not that it mattered.

u17050.png

u17051.png

u17052.png

Of course, everyone voted to attack.

u17053.png

And then the final battle starts!

u17054.png

Tyranthraxus had won the initiative roll, and the first thing he does was using his breath weapon.

u17055.png

Three party members were killed before any of us could act. Things are looking grim for us.

u17056.png

Tyranthraxus' stats. He's AC is very low, but he's also surprisingly squishy. The level 8 fighters we fought before had 87 HP; Tyranthraxus only has 80.

u17057.png

Elwro, Kezerilla managed to dish out some major damage in a single round, bringing the dragon's HP down to 29.

u17058.png

But then Tyranthraxus' turn had came again, and in a single round he knocked out Kezerilla with his regular attack and killed Elwro with his breath.

u17059.png

u17060.png

And then the only ones left standing were Bee and Procrastianna, who weren't able to kill Tyranthraxus fast enough,

u17061.png

Wow. The TPK screen. I think I haven't seen this in quite a while.

Reload. This time we prepare more carefully. Before heading into battle: Procrastianna casts Bless and Prayer on the party. Grunker casts Enlarge on Hero, Elwro, Procrastianna and Kezerilla (this spell sets subject's strength score to 18/00 which is as overpowered as it sounds). Bee casts Haste on the party, because if there's one occasion where this spell is worth using despite the side effect it's this one.

u17062.png

This should be much easier now that we have been properly buffed.

u17063.png

Hold Person again proves its usefulness.

u17064.png

Seeing that the enemy fighters have been lined up, Grunker casts a Lighting Bolt spell. The effect left much to be desired however. I should've had him memorize Hold Person instead.

u17065.png

The mage version of Hold Person is different from the clerical version. The mage version is a level 3 spell while the clerical version is level 2; but the mage version can target four targets while the clerical version can only target three.

u17066.png

Stinking Cloud was also very useful in this fight. Not as useful as Hold Person, but still very nice.

u17067.png

Bee has been knocked out. I probably shouldn't have put her in such a dangrous position, but then again she has already exhausted her spells anyway, so it didn't really matter.

u17068.png

Well. All enemy have been disabled now.

u17069.png

Your time has came, Tyranthraxus.

u17070.png

Elwro has won the initiative. A good start.

u17071.png

Elwro hit the dragon twice before he got electrocuted by the dragon's breath. Your sacrifice shall be remembered.:salute:

u17072.png

Note that Hero's name is displayed in yellow. He has betrayed us. I knew we couldn't trust him!

u17073.png

We'll deal with you once we've taken care of Tyranthraxus.

u17074.png

Grunker and Magnus managed to kill the dragon before he got another round. This is how dangrous hasted fighters can be.

u17075.png

And the traitor too died to our blades.

u17076.png

:yeah: We have defeated Tyranthraxus!

u17077.png

Please tell me we don't have to fight another boss fight.

u17078.png

u17079.png

Oh shi--

u17080.png

But Bane came to our rescue. Thanks, I guess.

u17081.png

We were then teleported back to the city. How considerate.

u17082.png

Before we head to the city halls, we asked the priests of Sune to resurrect Elwro.

u17083.png

The manual says that resurrection has a chance of failing. Would Elwro make it?

u17084.png

:incline:

u17085.png

u17086.png

u17087.png

And our heroes were rewarded with enough potato to last them a lifetime.

Before we leave, let's take a final look at our heroes:

u17088.png

u17089.png

u17090.png

u17091.png

u17092.png

u17093.png

...And with that, this LP has been completed!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Erebus

Arcane
Thanks a lot for the LP !

Dragons in the GB games tend to have lower HP than you'd expect, but their breath weapons can be devastating (especially the lightning breath shared by blue and bronze dragons), which makes initiative rolls especially important.

I wonder what happens if some or all of the PCs decide to join Tyranthraxus ?

Also, what's the Yes/No choice that appears after you've defeated the dragon about ?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Elwro hit the dragon twice before he got electrocuted by the dragon's breath. Your sacrifice shall be remembered.:salute:
Glad to be of service!

And about the Hero, OMG, what a twist! M:

Congratulations!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Very nice LP, good that you decided to see it through to the glorious end.

Would you care to write a bit about your overall impressions with the game? Would like to hear what you think. Probably the fights got far too easy in the second half, judging from your numerous "piss easy" comments :D

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Well done! :salute:

Curse of the Azure Bonds next?
No. Well, maybe I'll do the game at some point. But definitely not right now, and definitely without LPing.
I wonder what happens if some or all of the PCs decide to join Tyranthraxus ?

Also, what's the Yes/No choice that appears after you've defeated the dragon about ?
When the battle starts, those who have chosen to join Tyranthraxus will be hostile to the rest of party, and will fight on the dragon's side. If everyone decided to join it's just an instant game over.

As for the yes/no choice, it wasn't actually a question, but a leftover of the previous question (about whether you join Tyranthraxus). You don't actually do any choice there.
Would you care to write a bit about your overall impressions with the game? Would like to hear what you think. Probably the fights got far too easy in the second half, judging from your numerous "piss easy" comments :D
In fact, the fights got far too easy after the first two or three blocks. Once you've gained access to the more powerful spells (Stinking Cloud, Hold Person, Fireball etc.) most monsters cease to be dangrous.

Combat in this game really suffers from horrible AI and poor encounter design. The combat engine was great, but the encounter design lacks variation. I really wish there're more spellcaster enemies (with improved AI of course). I guess it's not really fair to expect every game to be BG2 or KotC though, and despite the many flaws PoR's combat has proven to be more fun than that of most other RPGs I've played.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to change thread prefixes?

u17030.png

Does anyone know?

At first I thought it was Cadorna, but we already met him and he was a prisoner.

LOL @ Hero's betrayal, I didn't notice he doesn't get a prompt. Guess he didn't like being wasted not even one turn into the first fight. I wonder if this means all hired help will defect to Tyranny's side?

Lykurgos

Novice
Thank you kindly for this great LP Clockwork Knight. My nostalgia fueled fondness for Pools of Radiance does not fool me into thinking that I would actually enjoy re-playing it today, but your Lets Play means I don't need to in order to enjoy it. Bravo.

Null Null

Arbiter
u17030.png

Does anyone know?

At first I thought it was Cadorna, but we already met him and he was a prisoner.

LOL @ Hero's betrayal, I didn't notice he doesn't get a prompt. Guess he didn't like being wasted not even one turn into the first fight. I wonder if this means all hired help will defect to Tyranny's side?

2 years later,I can tell you:

That's Genheeris. He's Tyranthraxus's No. 2.He actually will join you and help you, but since they didn't program numbers of memorized spells for level 7 mages, he can't rememorize spells. I suppose if you really wanted to use him you could have him get hit by a wight first. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom