Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards 2

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, Blackguards 2 has already dropped out of Steam's Top 10 sellers. The first game managed to hold on there for a while - at the same time that it was competing directly against Might & Magic X, another retro RPG, to boot.

Mortmal

Arcane
Isn't the protagonist of Blackguards 2 basically "grimdark Sadja on crack"?
No, its a very well developed character. Sadja is naive and lightearted compare to her ,and she's indeed really grimdark.

The streamlining isnt as bad as i feared, theres no more attributes but the core gameplay is the same, in fact blackguards 2 improves on every aspects, from storytelling to tactical fights. Could use a little more polishing, theres bugs, but fortunatly solvable by relaunching the game , like takate dialogue.
It seems a bit easier than the first one, or rather more playable, as blackguard was too punishing sometimes.
Only spent 5 hours in so far, unless it suddenly get completely broken, this is even better than blackguard.It's worth the purchase .

Mortmal

Arcane
So, Blackguards 2 has already dropped out of Steam's Top 10 sellers. The first game managed to hold on there for a while - at the same time that it was competing directly against Might & Magic X, another retro RPG, to boot.

It's an excellent niche turn based rpg , so its likely it will be -70% in a few months. If we arent buying it , none going to do.Daedalic deserves to eat i think.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The most important endorsement of them all:

yf0ZKjI.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It seems a bit easier than the first one, or rather more playable, as blackguard was too punishing sometimes.

Blackguards was way too easy after the second chapter, and this game is almost in the toddler zone. Apart from the boss battles, which I hope you'll post your reaction to.

Mortmal

Arcane
Blackguards was way too easy after the second chapter, and this game is almost in the toddler zone. Apaprt from the boss battles, which I hope you'll post your reaction to.

IT was easy with a melee character, the game was tailored for a melee characterwith other builds you could suffer a lot more. In blackguard 2 it seems to favor a mage build so far.Will try the boss battles later.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Play the game already and tell me if Roxor was right

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Blackguards 2 is easier and more accessible than Blackguards 1. (for veterans: play on hard)
But it features some new interesting gameplay elements as well:
  • counterattacks on conquered cities
  • questioning of prisoners
  • war camp
  • better in-game documentation
  • play evil
  • much more NPC and party interaction
  • introduction of stamina
  • additional anonymous troops
overall a well done sequel.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Good summary, but you forgot to mention the wave combat, the battles with infinitely spawning or invulnerable enemies, the "enemies spawn next to you out of nowhere" mechanic, the increasing lack of polish as you progress through the game, the "just pick which ending you want" epilogue, and the fact that you get no rewards for defensive battles.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
I focused on the good things, spawning enemies out of nowhere and 100% success guarantied casting are not so good design decisions.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I suspect that P&P fans would also have problems with mages being able to cast and regen mana in heavy metal armor, the lack of documentation on the to-hit calculations (or how going into cover affects them, exactly), and the complete lack of information on saving throws, but it's clear that this game is not aimed at fans of the P&P ruleset.

I do think they'd have a problem with the horrible enemy AI though, which after a day's reflection strikes me as possibly the worst AI in modern RPGaming. Solders don't avoid previously discovered sink holes or the single trap in a wide hallway that three if their comrades have already stepped on. Mages go straight into melee or waste all their mana on casting movement speed debuff spells. The Great Healer casts nothing but weak fire lances.

Last edited:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
I would go so far and say it has not much to do with the original Dark Eye rule set.
P&P RPGs and CRPGs are related but on the other hand they are very different game species.
What is fun with P&P can be cumbersome at a computer and vice versa.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yo Bubbles, since you own and have already finished the game...are you capable of writing non-troll reviews? :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Of course, I'm fair and balanced in my private life.

Well, if writing a review counts as private life, I hereby offer you an opportunity to demonstrate your wit by writing a Blackguards 2 review for the RPG Codex.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, if writing a review counts as private life, I hereby offer you an opportunity to demonstrate your wit by writing a Blackguards 2 review for the RPG Codex.

Sure, why not? I'm sure it'll be a fun and enriching experience.

Tigranes

Arcane
When the Codex is eventually assessed by the NSA and destroyed for terrorist sentiments, I would like its swansong to be a roundtable between Bubbles, Volourn, Roguey and Hiver.

4too can be the guest singer.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I can't fathom what they were thinking. :negative:

They had a perfectly good base to build upon. A solid FFT clone. While not too exciting, nor too challenging once you grasped the rules, they delivered lots of fun TBS gameplay and a few really great moments - NINE HORDES!!!.

WHY Daedalic? If some stupid PR fuck of yours is reading this, why? Do you really think you can get into a broad market with a heavyhanded TBS such as this?? LOL.

You managed to alienate the fans of the first title, fucked up the execution of a shallower, more "streamlined" slamdunk and ultimately wasted ONCE MORE an opportunity to produce a good Dark Eye title.

Shame on you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom