Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Mesa - legendary vaporware Half-Life remake finally out

Xorazm

Cipher
I love Residue Processing.
:rpgcodex:
:nocountryforshitposters:

Why.

No kidding. I was stoked when Black Mesa came out after following the trickle of news for years and the opening minutes just blew me away. I raced through the first several hours with the grin of dazzled joy on my face ....

....until I hit Residue Processing. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump.

Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump.

I forced myself through it, and then when I finally got the end, I just couldn't go any farther. I was done. The game beat me. Somewhere in the caverns of my hard drive is a save file five minutes into whatever came after that maybe, maybe one day I'll go back to.

Maybe.

DraQ

Arcane
....until I hit Residue Processing. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump.

Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump. Jump.
Which is exactly how it was in the original. And then people complain about Xen for some reason.
:hearnoevil:

I forced myself through it, and then when I finally got the end, I just couldn't go any farther. I was done. The game beat me. Somewhere in the caverns of my hard drive is a save file five minutes into whatever came after that maybe, maybe one day I'll go back to.

Maybe.
Well, after Residue Processing it can only get better (which it does).
In the original the end of RP market one of my favourite sections.

Did they fix the retarded jumping? You couldn't get on top of anything without crouch-jumping.
Apparently they didn't fix retarded posting either.
:M

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked Black Mesa, but I've always hated the gun play in source games. I generally prefer replaying the original HL with a few graphic mods (HD models based on originals rather than gearbox models).

The guns feel "powerful" in the original half-life, the gun play in HL2 and Black Mesa just feels really off somehow.

Every time you post DSP a publisher sees it and forces devs to further dumb down their games.

Please, think of the games.

dunno lah

Arcane
I might be wrong about this, but I remember being able to duck jump by holding space down. I also remember hitting the crouch button every time I landed from a height, thinking it would lower my chances of taking damage. I know it worked in Jedi Knight 2 to some extent.

garren

Arcane
Patron
My point is that the normal jump is fucking useless in the mod compared to the crouch jump. You can't use the normal jump to even get on top of the shortest of objects, which was not true in the original half-life, let alone the other half-life games.

It just feels... weird.

EDIT: unless they fixed that.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC, in JK2 (and Jedi Academy as well) there were a bunch of hidden moves you could discover and use (such as wall-running, to say an example). If you fell from a relative high distance (but not high enough to insta-kill you), you could make a roll movement by pressing the "crouch" key twice the moment you touched the ground, reducing the fall damage a little.

Modron

Arcane
Every time you post DSP a publisher sees it and forces devs to further dumb down their games.

Please, think of the games.

Spent about 5 minutes trying to find that clip of him running around in one of those newer alien games with the message get in turboloader (or whatever you call that exo skeleton lifting crap) plastered all over the screen as he ran around frantically searching for it in a small room with the damn thing clearly in the center of room but I gave up.

There is no dumbing down enough to meet DSP's pond scum level of intelligence.

Only ended up finding this but thought I might as well post it

DraQ

Arcane
"What's a crouch jump ?"

He solved it thanks to the twitter.
Kwan accent.

:patriot:
The most disturbing thing here is:
  1. This guy thing got explicit popup telling him it which keys to press.
  2. He it acknowledged the existence of this information verbally by commenting "the hell is a crouch jump?"
  3. In the event of not getting what he it was meant to do there are at most three ways to press the keys listed (in sequence, the other sequence, simultaneously), so at worst he it should have executed crouch-jump on third try.
  4. Nope.
9e9.jpg

My point is that the normal jump is fucking useless in the mod compared to the crouch jump.
You can jump over gaps.

Modron

Arcane
The most disturbing thing here is:
  1. This guy thing got explicit popup telling him it which keys to press.
  2. He it acknowledged the existence of this information verbally by commenting "the hell is a crouch jump?"
  3. In the event of not getting what he it was meant to do there are at most three ways to press the keys listed (in sequence, the other sequence, simultaneously), so at worst he it should have executed crouch-jump on third try.
  4. Nope.

Actually the most disturbing thing is that video is obviously abridged, there is a 53 or so minute long LP out there of that before he gives up, and I swear there were steam chat popups from other people telling him explicitly how to perform one.

That said hes probably better than the guy from polygon who spent 67 minutes trying to figure out how to open the vault door at the start of FO1 before finally leaving the cave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom