Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Severian Silk

I predict this thread will reach 2048 pages.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Having only Battle Brothers to keep me entertained at the moment, I decided to go ahead and buy andromeda, problems be damned.

1) Ah right, you need Origin. Ugh, download. Haven't logged into my Origin account since... ME3?
2) What was my password again? Fuck, reset it.
3) Log in, notice that Origin still feels like this sluggish java-website from a decade ago. No real change. They re-arranged some UI crap though, wow...
4) All my games are gone except for one. Command and Comquer 4. Wat. Got that in 2012 because nostalgia (it was complete shit of course, this would prove prophetic btw).
5) EA account site tells me I have been a member since... Today. Wat. Even though the details on cnc4 tell me I got it in 2012 and my old ea e-mail tells me I joined in 2011.
6) ME Andromeda costs like 60 Euros for the standard edition.

In conclusion: God is real and this is Him telling me that I should not buy this trash game.
EA Origin may as well be malware and is still substantially worse than Steam so many years after it's creation. Amazing.
EA Help site is full of people getting accounts hacked, losing games off their library randomly, whatever, same problems since 2011!

How does EA even still exist, they're about as competent as the bioware animations team.

Why don't you buy something good instead from a less shit outlet, or 6-10 good games for the same price?

RK47's LP was such a good advertisement for the game, it convinced me to buy it... Then EA convinced me not to buy it. Maybe EA are secretly bros horrified at the reality of modern gaming and behave so weirdly in order to keep good people away and save them?

Anyway, I've bought everything I felt like buying ages ago.
More recently bought some jap stuff like Yoko Taros latest game even though the gameplay isn't my thing... Just to support a bro. But I'm out of stuff to play and I've sunk like 170 hours or whatever into battle brothers already.
Bought underrail even though I knew it wasn't really another fallout.

Not gonna buy any more kickstarter stuff though.

So what do you suggest?

Some of their memes...

dGrSewa.jpg

wheneverybody-is-having-fun-playing-mass-effect-andromeda-but-you-17490313.png

1l3euk.jpg

Though some are taking the piss

BATNJOV.png

aqrBDOz.jpg

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
"What did you do today in Andromeda" is an ongoing, multi-page thread there.

From that thread:
"Due to not having my new GPU yet, I turned off/lowered some settings for my GTX970 FTW card, just to ensure decent fps."
Unless he's playing in 4K I don't understand what that game has that requires a better card than that for "decent fps".

One of those side-effects of the sjwapocalypse in gaming seems to be that all competent programmers/graphics people have fled in terror or something and now it's just tumblr dweebs working with licensed engines while foregoing any and all optimization.

a few quotes from the new unofficial Bioware forum on romances

don't think they'll make a DLC solely to add more romance content, but I think it's semi-possible that romance content could come bundled with a DLC. Sebastian was a DLC romance, but it wasn't his only purpose. The Citadel added a bunch of romance scenes, but again, that wasn't it's only purpose. I think if they're really listening and they really care about correcting this, like they say, then it wouldn't be a huge demand for them to fold in more polished romance scenes for our current two m/m LIs to upcoming DLCs, at least. I don't really see a bi off ship male LI as that huge of a stretch, either, but probably more so. If they don't make some show of effort, though, then I will have lost a lot of faith in them. If this isn't going to be addressed at all this game, and especially if future DLCs focus on other LIs and ignore our's, I'll be pretty salty, tbh.

Fuck no to it being DLC. Sticking same gender content behind a paywall is a awful way to treat LGBT players, and sets a shitty president for this franchise. Especially when the mixed gender romance is in the base game.

And tbh, I'd say the same thing it it were made available for free. It's essentially treating a bi character's attraction to the same gender as invisible, because players who don't want to see it can easily avoid it. The only way it'd even be remotely OK is if dialogue is added to the main game where Jaal unavoidably tells Sara he is equally attracted to men.

Bisexuality and being attracted to the same gender isn't something you should be able conveniently ignore because you don't like it.

Good lord, Bioware, please tell me that any references to human-alien hybrids are meant as jokes not to be taken seriously, like Garrus' remark about finding out what a turian-human baby would look like. Not to mention it'd make Gil's romance irritate me even more. It'd be like Bioware going "Well, the gay guys need to fulfill an obligation to have kids and replenish the human race in Andromeda...but straight people not doing so by having alien hybrids is A-OK."

I see that. That's the same logic why Geralt couldn't and shouldn't be able to romance Ciri because she sees her as his own daughter. There are so many people want Geralt to fuck Ciri. I think the weirdest part is that with the children, they don't even mention about it being incest, when you marry one of the children, they never bring up the issue that you are their uncle/aunt. At the end of the day, it's just a waifu aspect, so I try not to think too much about it. I just want to marry to the guys I find the most attractive in the game, which is Shiro, Saizo, and Benoit.

True, but unless you are marrying to one of the Hoshido's siblings, it's never revealed that you are not related, so since you marry to their kid, the siblings never told you that you guys are not related. It's technical not incest, but you don't know that, and even the ending, especially on Hoshido game, they never even talk about you being adopted.

Human/alien hybrid kids really wouldn't "make sense" in my opinion without some "seeded galaxy" lore that much of sci-fi loves to embrace. That would be pretty silly for Andromeda though, in my opinion. It makes for interesting story telling but it's been done enough in my opinion. The topic came up regarding Zootopia's world too, and the directors of that movie while not committing to sequels or saying definitively so likewise said hybrids would likely only be possible between equivalent species in the real world. Yeah yeah I know I bring that movie up too much, but it's relevant to the hybrid discussion and they put a lot of thought into the world. They basically are parallel world aliens, same geography but totally different geopolitical development, etc.

Edit: Also no to hybrid babies. No. FemShep brought up turian/human babies as a joke. It was a joke because it's a laughable concept. Have them adopt.

If Sara does give birth I want heavy duty angst, dead/deformed babies, her getting dumped/dying giving birth/being shunned by the Hyperion for threatening their species so on.

...And that was only me looking back from the last current page 1092 to 1091(no lie)... These people are fucking deranged, released from the shakles this is what these creatures are in the wild. We owe Stanley Woo and fat Priestley an apology.

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
Total Biscuit is such a casual. Spends most of his time on things like UI and gashing over the combat/jumpjets etc. Actually says the writing is mostly decent. smh
I watched a bit of his stream. He was in full fanboy mode with this game.

Sometimes he's Mr. Contrarian, and revels in it. He thinks people are judging the game solely on Gifs and hearsay, ignoring the five billion streams available. That people right now are watching some Lets Player lose his mind over the state of the game. He goes on and on in other videos about how life is short and you need to be blunt about the quality of a game.

Then proceeds to excuse Andromeda's horseshit.

Yeah he really whitewashed that for the sake of "being reasonable" when it couldn't be more obvious there is serious shit wrong. He likes the gameplay and I can see that and that is fine but he clearly completely whitewashed this to the point of not even illustrating obvious issues, I know he had tons of footage showing the many many defects but declined to show it. Even for combat gameplay I have seen tons of people not even bug hunting just having NPC hovering in mid-air and it happens alot.

I lost a good amount of respect for him here.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
a few quotes from the forum

don't think they'll make a DLC solely to add more romance content, but I think it's semi-possible that romance content could come bundled with a DLC. Sebastian was a DLC romance, but it wasn't his only purpose. The Citadel added a bunch of romance scenes, but again, that wasn't it's only purpose. I think if they're really listening and they really care about correcting this, like they say, then it wouldn't be a huge demand for them to fold in more polished romance scenes for our current two m/m LIs to upcoming DLCs, at least. I don't really see a bi off ship male LI as that huge of a stretch, either, but probably more so. If they don't make some show of effort, though, then I will have lost a lot of faith in them. If this isn't going to be addressed at all this game, and especially if future DLCs focus on other LIs and ignore our's, I'll be pretty salty, tbh.

Fuck no to it being DLC. Sticking same gender content behind a paywall is a awful way to treat LGBT players, and sets a shitty president for this franchise. Especially when the mixed gender romance is in the base game.

And tbh, I'd say the same thing it it were made available for free. It's essentially treating a bi character's attraction to the same gender as invisible, because players who don't want to see it can easily avoid it. The only way it'd even be remotely OK is if dialogue is added to the main game where Jaal unavoidably tells Sara he is equally attracted to men.

Bisexuality and being attracted to the same gender isn't something you should be able conveniently ignore because you don't like it.

Good lord, Bioware, please tell me that any references to human-alien hybrids are meant as jokes not to be taken seriously, like Garrus' remark about finding out what a turian-human baby would look like. Not to mention it'd make Gil's romance irritate me even more. It'd be like Bioware going "Well, the gay guys need to fulfill an obligation to have kids and replenish the human race in Andromeda...but straight people not doing so by having alien hybrids is A-OK."

I see that. That's the same logic why Geralt couldn't and shouldn't be able to romance Ciri because she sees her as his own daughter. There are so many people want Geralt to fuck Ciri. I think the weirdest part is that with the children, they don't even mention about it being incest, when you marry one of the children, they never bring up the issue that you are their uncle/aunt. At the end of the day, it's just a waifu aspect, so I try not to think too much about it. I just want to marry to the guys I find the most attractive in the game, which is Shiro, Saizo, and Benoit.

True, but unless you are marrying to one of the Hoshido's siblings, it's never revealed that you are not related, so since you marry to their kid, the siblings never told you that you guys are not related. It's technical not incest, but you don't know that, and even the ending, especially on Hoshido game, they never even talk about you being adopted.

Human/alien hybrid kids really wouldn't "make sense" in my opinion without some "seeded galaxy" lore that much of sci-fi loves to embrace. That would be pretty silly for Andromeda though, in my opinion. It makes for interesting story telling but it's been done enough in my opinion. The topic came up regarding Zootopia's world too, and the directors of that movie while not committing to sequels or saying definitively so likewise said hybrids would likely only be possible between equivalent species in the real world. Yeah yeah I know I bring that movie up too much, but it's relevant to the hybrid discussion and they put a lot of thought into the world. They basically are parallel world aliens, same geography but totally different geopolitical development, etc.

Edit: Also no to hybrid babies. No. FemShep brought up turian/human babies as a joke. It was a joke because it's a laughable concept. Have them adopt.

If Sara does give birth I want heavy duty angst, dead/deformed babies, her getting dumped/dying giving birth/being shunned by the Hyperion for threatening their species so on.

...And that was only me looking back from the last current page 1092 to 1091(no lie)... These people are fucking deranged, released from the shakles this is what these creatures are in the wild. We owe Stanley Woo and fat Priestley an apology.

Now I'm morbidly curious what they think about Manveer Heir. Or maybe not.

Beastro

Arcane
So I guess TB is withholding all comments on his video? Why? Is he that easily triggered that he needs a safe space in general, or does he know he's going o get some trashtalk for his shilling on this game in particular?

Something to do with YouTube and their bullshit. As a way of firing back he disabled comments and links to his reddit.

He has terminal liver cancer. Although a Twitter Update from January Said the Tumor us shrinking and the doctors Five him an actual chance to beat the cancer now.
i'm sure it's an old and answered already question, but i never cared. just curiosity: what makes it sure that it's not some prolonged publicity stunt? people fake anything all the time.

For what gain?

He used to pump out videos like mad until it collapsed into a trickle where you're lucky to see a review a month, and that's just his reviews, not the other shit he does outside of YouTube. It's been that way for years now.

Whatever he might gain from this as a publicity stunt is eating into his revenue generation too much to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Story and writing don't matter as long as he has context for whatever planetary "collectathon" game forces on you?
None of the visual glitches are so important... he says as NPCs visibly phase out of existence in front of him.

I haven't seen all of it but after half hour or so, skipping his goddamn annoying preamble and options walkthrough, you can tell he's bending backwards not to say anything overtly negative about the game. Finally a reason to ignore TB from now on. Man loves his voice way too much to be worth listening to anymore.

mastroego

Arcane
RK47's LP was such a good advertisement for the game, it convinced me to buy it... Then EA convinced me not to buy it. Maybe EA are secretly bros horrified at the reality of modern gaming and behave so weirdly in order to keep good people away and save them?

More recently bought some jap stuff like Yoko Taros latest game even though the gameplay isn't my thing... Just to support a bro. But I'm out of stuff to play and I've sunk like 170 hours or whatever into battle brothers already.

So what do you suggest?

Oh come on, so your only remaining option is to buy a shit SJW game?
There are THOUSANDS of games you know.
Here's what I'm playing or played recently (or not so recently):
- XCom with the Long War Mod (I have 240 hours on Steam...)
- Talisman Digital Edition
- Halfway (little TB game, well worth those 10$)
- Legend of Grimrock

If we must talk about "AAA" stuff:
- Skyrim with Requiem Overhaul
- Tomb Rider and Rise of the Tomb Rider (at least some care went into making these).
- Alien: Isolation (amazing game IMO).

I mean be a little creative, try new genres even... you don't need to give your money to SJW hacks.
Or, you know, read a book if games are boring you right now.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

So what do you suggest?

Oh come on, so your only remaining option is to buy a shit SJW game?
There are THOUSANDS of games you know.
Here's what I'm playing or played recently (or not so recently):
- XCom with the Long War Mod (I have 240 hours on Steam...)
- Talisman Digital Edition
- Halfway (little TB game, well worth those 10$)
- Legend of Grimrock

If we must talk about "AAA" stuff:
- Skyrim with Requiem Overhaul
- Tomb Rider and Rise of the Tomb Rider (at least some care went into making these).
- Alien: Isolation (amazing game IMO).

I mean be a little creative, try new genres even... you don't need to give your money to SJW hacks.
Or, you know, read a book if games are boring you right now.

With books I don't even know where to start. Used to read all the time though. And besides, plenty of SJW bullshit going on there now as well. Is there a decent review site or something to start with? I've been away from fiction books for way too long.

I've got nuXcom (didn't care for the restrictive skill system and alien spawn behaviour etc, TFTD was the one I started with and still like the best due to the underwater atmosphere). Got all other xcom clones on steam as well.
Halfway I've also got, Grimrock as well, skyrim... Can't be bothered to reinstall and find all 5000000 mods I'd need to make it worthwhile... And make them work... nuTombraider's voice actress constant grunts and way of handling the dialogue and whatnot get on my nerves too much, no thanks. Never been a TB fan anyway.
Alien Isolation is ok but too much of a one-trick pony. It's no thief.
I'll check out Talisman I guess.

Seriously though, my games library is too damn large and I've just played anything I find remotely fun already. Mostly because it's somewhat rare for a genuinely decent game to come out these days and a lot of genres have sort of died off.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

From that thread:
"Due to not having my new GPU yet, I turned off/lowered some settings for my GTX970 FTW card, just to ensure decent fps."
Unless he's playing in 4K I don't understand what that game has that requires a better card than that for "decent fps".

One of those side-effects of the sjwapocalypse in gaming seems to be that all competent programmers/graphics people have fled in terror or something and now it's just tumblr dweebs working with licensed engines while foregoing any and all optimization.
A 970 is old and weak by now, it shouldn't run a new game at decent FPS with everything on unless it's a straight console port with no extra graphics options for PC.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

From that thread:

A 970 is old and weak by now, it shouldn't run a new game at decent FPS with everything on unless it's a straight console port with no extra graphics options for PC.

It does though. Except games with shitty optimization or global illumination issues or 4k resolution. Turn off crap like motion blur and depth of field maybe, but that's all I usually have to do. Besides, pretty much anything graphically "intense" today is more or less a straight console port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom