Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That is exactly my point. Your view of the 'average' tv show/movie/book is vastly skewed if you think it is above the average game.

No, your point was "average literature writing is not better than average game writing".....because of some one game you pointed out.

If you can't see that Steven King, however not exactly a Nobel laureate, is a vastly better writer than basically anyone in the gaming industry (same goes for the bulk of mainstream literature writers) than your judgment is not only skewed, it doesn't exist.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So im too liked for people to gang up on me? :lol:
Thats beyond desperate

I dont know if they like you or not, but most people dont find it proper to point fingers and laugh at autists, I on the other hand have no problem with that.

So im wrong but you cant be bothered to make a half coherent argument because what? Either make a point or go away you retard

I already pointed out that that scene is nothing more then poorly written effort at emotional engagement with two bland characters nobody cares in a event without meaningful consequences.

But seeing how autists need further explanation I will indulge you.

Choosing between two companions and love interests who will die is the cheapest and most lazy way in order to create a difficult choice especially when the end consequence is the same no matter who you choose. To make a real difficult choice for a player is to have him emotionally attached to the decision and/or provide meaningful consequences to your decision (and by that I mean more then losing one deadweight character). This scene is shit because characters in question are boring and bland and you have no attachment to them and because of that the choice is difficult as is flipping a coin. Its also shit because the only choice you have is to who will die and nothing else, so the consequence of your choice on story in almost non existent.

Better choice would be choosing between killing your companions or abandoning the mission, which would have major consequences of the story. Problem is still that you need to have a balanced scale of your decision, the less balanced it is the easier the choice is. In ME1 case due shitty writing player feels no attachment to the characters so choosing between them and saving the planet or some shit like that would still be a easy choice, because its natural to prioritize good of many over lives of few. One way to counter that is to make a smaller scale crisis or crisis that you have little information of its effects on the story in the future. There are many small moments in games and many of them in Bioware games when you do something like letting a criminal go in order to save someone with no consequences to your actions, where I always wondered why no game ever punishes player for his mercy. One of the few games to actually tackle this is Witcher where often good deeds goes punished, even in KotOR 2 you get a lesson of consequences of good deeds.

What Im rambling about here is that moments is your typical Bioware moment with no real consequences and nothing of value at stake. Made in year where many other games already surpassed this simplistic storytelling.

Im not calling them master writers, but good job on trying to move the goalpost you retarded twat.

But they must be master writers seeing how its became obvious that their writing is actually brilliant and its only some poor people like me that just cant comprehend its full brilliance. And I will forever live in the darkness of not being able to appreciate such brilliant writers like the Bioware ones.

bat_boro

Arcane
I haven't played the game but I've seen RK play it, which is arguably as much enjoyment one can get from this trash. If Bioware put laugh tracks and nice tunes to underscore the inanity of this it would be 10x better, should release a patch that does this. It was just a prank xD

I've included some of my thoughts in the spoiler below.

Dick Ryder's voice is annoying. Like a cooing male kindergarten teacher, his tone never changes. A modern hero in the vein of Carl the Cuck and Aids Skrillex.

The Initiative (heroes) are a bunch of space communists wielding total power over all ("they won't let my son out of cryo"), their space ship is full of queers and colored people. Most inclusive :incloosive:game ever made.

Apparently going without Oxygen for 3-4 minutes is enough to kill a man, even a pathpounder with access to super technology. And Dick Ryder passes out and goes into shock after not breathing for a few seconds. :nocountryforshitposters:This whole thing was weird, I thought bioware was originally a team of doctors? I usually look past this stuff but it was really jarring here.

The animation is worse than anyone can put into words, it's ridiculous at all times, turns the whole thing into a comedy. The alien animations are inoffensive, though, actually kind of good.

Conclusion: Best thing to come out of it is watching RK's nappy headed hero sprint and juke around some immaculately clean space station, everyone around him oblivious (this station recently had riots and violent power struggles, but the only broken thing are these panels pajeet here needs your help fixing <quest added>)

It all seems so stupid- and there are no more epic collar grabs to look forward to, this isn't your Cock Cummander Shepard's Ass Effect, no. But what were you expecting really? Everything is just about bioware super awesome qualityTM(shit), save for the animation, which is more entertaining than anything they've made in years:troll:
Hey65bz.png

:dgaider:

Someone please confirm that I got this right and that we have <quest_added> markup surfacing in the final game? :D

Lhynn

Arcane
I already pointed out that that scene is nothing more then poorly written effort at emotional engagement with two bland characters nobody cares in a event without meaningful consequences.
It has meaningful consequences, you lose a member of your team, direct consequences when it comes to gameplay.

This scene is shit because characters in question are boring and bland and you have no attachment to them and because of that the choice is difficult as is flipping a coin.
You are arguing from a place of mere opinion. You didnt like the characters, ergo you didnt think it was a good choice, you are positively retarded.
For the record i liked kaiden and ashley, they were the normies, and normies are important when you are telling a story thats too far from real every day life.

Better choice would be choosing between killing your companions or abandoning the mission
Maybe? who can say.

In ME1 case due shitty writing player feels no attachment to the characters so choosing between them and saving the planet or some shit like that would still be a easy choice
So your argument is that they failed to do what you think they set out to do. My answer is that they succeded to do what i believe they set out to do. Which are fundamentally two different arguments. I believe they wanted to put you in a position where your rank forced you to send one of your men to die, what comes with that. You believe they wanted to make you pick between two friends and failed because its cheap.
Thing is, the evidence is overwhelmingly on my side, it fit the narrative, it struck a chord thematically with the whole "captain of your own ship" deal, and it was two set characters instead of making you pick between the character you were romancing and the character you used the most during the game or some shit like that, which would have clearly betrayed an attempt to manipulate the player emoshuns.
Your argument literally has no legs to stand on other than your retarded and obvious bias.

because its natural to prioritize good of many over lives of few.
So your your idea for a better choice is to make it a non-choice! Bravo! bioware should definitely hire you.

One way to counter that is to make a smaller scale crisis or crisis that you have little information of its effects on the story in the future. There are many small moments in games and many of them in Bioware games when you do something like letting a criminal go in order to save someone with no consequences to your actions, where I always wondered why no game ever punishes player for his mercy. One of the few games to actually tackle this is Witcher where often good deeds goes punished, even in KotOR 2 you get a lesson of consequences of good deeds.
I guess? we are talking about fundamentally different choices, which makes your whole point completely moot, because that isnt the only choice you make in ME1.

What Im rambling about here is that moments is your typical Bioware moment with no real consequences
But there are real consequences, a companion dies, you cant play with him anymore, its literally the ultimate consequence, one that impacts gameplay. Short of making an entirely new alternative path for the game, which i doubt was even an option for bioware.

and nothing of value at stake.
A soldier under your command that you have gotten to know in the last 60 hours of gameplay, the stakes definitely got raised there. Now if you are so detached that you didnt give a shit then thats fine, but considering just how many people actually gave a shit id say it worked well enough.

Made in year where many other games already surpassed this simplistic storytelling.
Sure, you are not going to get me to say ME1 is a work of art and better than getting a blowjob. Im saying it was competently executed and that a lot of work went into it.

But they must be master writers seeing how its became obvious that their writing is actually brilliant and its only some poor people like me that just cant comprehend its full brilliance. And I will forever live in the darkness of not being able to appreciate such brilliant writers like the Bioware ones.
Maybe you are that stupid, or that biased.
Most side content and the main quest in general served several purposes. First they put you in charge of a crew and gave you some leeway when it came to making choices, this all worked to get your feet wet and start to understand the world, which was carefully crafted in such a way that it both had its own internal logic and plenty of parallels with real life, this whole thing grounded the setting and lent the story some credibility.
It borrowed heavily from sci fi shows in the 90s, and while mass effect is somewhat more sci fantasy than sci fi, it did a good job at explaining the main elements of the setting, those being element zero, biotics, the inner workings of most tools at your disposal, etc. This kind of thoughtful design serves to show us that the people that crafted ME1 both cared and wanted to bring something new to the market, and they did both fairly well.
Sure, others did it better, but most do far worse.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Thanks for clearing that up. So the guy was a contractor working for another company but under googles banner, promising the world, wouldn't be the first time things were outsourced to dodgy contractors who have to make sales, it happens over here all the time.
Dude, no. The guy was probably just "Google Certified" at most - a free online certification anyone can get.

Such independent contractors aren't under Google's banner, or anyone's. I've been one. The difference is, the shady ones do promise the world and usually don't deliver. That's not about Google, that's about them and their poor business practices.

SEO is an entire industry. Payscales are upward of $135 an hour for employees. Potentially more for contractors. That kind of industry wouldn't exist if you could simply do a backdoor deal to get to the top. Google doesn't get any money from SEO directly. They make money with ads. Ads anyone can buy and run. Ads that aren't secret:
http://www.google.co.uk/adwords/

Ads that would be irrelevant if there were a secret backdoor that adblock couldn't block.
And like you said if they can de-index sites, dosen't that mean they can de-index sites that are running negative stories on something they are paid to promote?
It is possible. The tell-tale sign would be that the articles can't be found even if searched directly. Alternatively, Google might have made a manual correction to their rankings.

A lot of things are possible here, but it's best to have proof before throwing around those accusations or you risk de-legitimizing yourself and these accusations in the future. Sort of like Antifa calling everyone nazis, or feminists calling everything sexist, people tend to not take the boy who cried wolf seriously after a while.

As I said, the same result could be achieved "naturally" simply due to the amount of shills Bioware has writing praise for them, or by Bioware directly by bombing the negative articles with bad links.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

As cringeworthy as the romances are, at least they exist.

In the new SJWified Star Wars movie, everyone is essentially asexual and celibate, as the legendary Mr. Plinkett was quick to point out. It's absolutely bizarre. Lots of chaste hugging and one forehead peck, but no innuendo, no sexual chemistry or tension, no intimate touching or tongue-spelunking... nothing. If that's the feminist future then we'd all better invest in our prayer rugs now, because this sad shit is ripe for the pickings.

In the new SJWified Star Wars movie, everyone is essentially asexual and celibate
Well, the negro obviously has a crush on the white girl and I here the next film features a full on interracial romance.

tbh, I'd much rather no romance than SJW cringe degeneracy.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It has meaningful consequences, you lose a member of your team, direct consequences when it comes to gameplay.

Im talking about consequences of the mission, also losing a member of your team in not a MEANINGFUL consequences because your can always replace him with a new one and nothing much changes in the story.

You are arguing from a place of mere opinion. You didnt like the characters, ergo you didnt think it was a good choice, you are positively retarded.

For the record i liked kaiden and ashley, they were the normies, and normies are important when you are telling a story thats too far from real every day life.

Thats what I mean when I say you have low standards and shit taste in games, Kaiden and Ashley were bland and boring characters.

Maybe? who can say.

Anyone with common sense.

So your argument is that they failed to do what you think they set out to do. My answer is that they succeded to do what i believe they set out to do. Which are fundamentally two different arguments. I believe they wanted to put you in a position where your rank forced you to send one of your men to die, what comes with that. You believe they wanted to make you pick between two friends and failed because its cheap.
Thing is, the evidence is overwhelmingly on my side, it fit the narrative, it struck a chord thematically with the whole "captain of your own ship" deal, and it was two set characters instead of making you pick between the character you were romancing and the character you used the most during the game or some shit like that, which would have clearly betrayed an attempt to manipulate the player emoshuns.
Your argument literally has no legs to stand on other than your retarded and obvious bias.

:lol:

Talk about being delusional fanboy.

We are talking about a same thing, they wanted to create a dramatic event, you claim its a coincidence they put in the center of it two of your romantic interest, what Im saying they did it intentionally for cheap emotional engagement. I dont know what "evidence" you are talking about (beyond your imagination) but Bioware has pulled this shit many times before and after.

So your your idea for a better choice is to make it a non-choice! Bravo! bioware should definitely hire you.

Nice way to misrepresent my argument since you cant argue against it. Let me repeat myself: "In ME1 case due shitty writing player feels no attachment to the characters so choosing between them and saving the planet or some shit like that would still be a easy choice, because its natural to prioritize good of many over lives of few."

So let me explain again if you have if you have a two choices, one to save few and one to save many its easy/natural to choose to save many especially when you dont have any real connection to characters in question. Next part on sentence was how to bypass this problem.

So how in your mind was this sentence me demanding the scene be a non choice, when it was nothing more then explaining the problem with the scene, please explain?

I guess? we are talking about fundamentally different choices, which makes your whole point completely moot, because that isnt the only choice you make in ME1.

That was mostly just my rant about poor and limited way Bioware deal with offering choices and delivering consequences. My point was that the limited choice of that scene prevents any real meaningful impact on the story making everything pointless. You choose between the two people who will die, but the mission will be a success no matter what you choose. Giving you a option to abandon the mission to save companions with negative consequences on the story would be a logical third option in that scene.

But there are real consequences, a companion dies, you cant play with him anymore, its literally the ultimate consequence, one that impacts gameplay. Short of making an entirely new alternative path for the game, which i doubt was even an option for bioware.

But it doesnt impact anything, you get someone else to follow you, few people mention it and thats it. Hardly a meaningful consequence especially for someone like me who didnt care at all about the character. Bioware did alternative paths few times in their games, they could have here if they wanted but they didint. Why, because to them that scene was nothing more then a forced dramatic moment to add some emoshun to the game.

A soldier under your command that you have gotten to know in the last 60 hours of gameplay, the stakes definitely got raised there. Now if you are so detached that you didnt give a shit then thats fine, but considering just how many people actually gave a shit id say it worked well enough.

Two soldiers I dont care about, truly a difficult choice. Also Im sure you know that if something is popular it doesnt mean its good.

. Im saying it was competently executed and that a lot of work went into it.

You now sound like PoE apologist.

Maybe you are that stupid, or that biased.

And maybe you are just a autistic fanboy, its a mystery.

Most side content and the main quest in general served several purposes.

Wasting time driving in Mako on a randomly generated maps and doing fetch quests to inflate game time?

First they put you in charge of a crew and gave you some leeway when it came to making choices, this all worked to get your feet wet and start to understand the world, which was carefully crafted in such a way that it both had its own internal logic and plenty of parallels with real life, this whole thing grounded the setting and lent the story some credibility.
It borrowed heavily from sci fi shows in the 90s, and while mass effect is somewhat more sci fantasy than sci fi, it did a good job at explaining the main elements of the setting, those being element zero, biotics, the inner workings of most tools at your disposal, etc. This kind of thoughtful design serves to show us that the people that crafted ME1 both cared and wanted to bring something new to the market, and they did both fairly well.
Sure, others did it better, but most do far worse.

I agree that there are some interesting bits in the ME lore and I agree that its obvious that it shows that many people enjoyed working on the game. Yet I still find the story and the characters bland and boring, Mako nothing but a chore just like almost all side quests, Citadel was interesting at start but you really get tired of white corridors and elevators, I hated combat in every game and overall the game was too underwhelming.

Now I dont care you or anyone else enjoying this game, I know I enjoy many shitty games despite them being shitty. But I do have a problem with people claiming this is a well written game with a great plot, thats its better then other shit so that makes it good, saying it deserves to be placed on Codex top 70 RPG list. Im sorry if anyone make any of those statements I will call them autistic.

Thanks for clearing that up. So the guy was a contractor working for another company but under googles banner, promising the world, wouldn't be the first time things were outsourced to dodgy contractors who have to make sales, it happens over here all the time.
Dude, no. The guy was probably just "Google Certified" at most - a free online certification anyone can get.

Such independent contractors aren't under Google's banner, or anyone's. I've been one. The difference is, the shady ones do promise the world and usually don't deliver. That's not about Google, that's about them and their poor business practices.

SEO is an entire industry. Payscales are upward of $135 an hour for employees. Potentially more for contractors. That kind of industry wouldn't exist if you could simply do a backdoor deal to get to the top. Google doesn't get any money from SEO directly. They make money with ads. Ads anyone can buy and run. Ads that aren't secret:
http://www.google.co.uk/adwords/

Ads that would be irrelevant if there were a secret backdoor that adblock couldn't block.
And like you said if they can de-index sites, dosen't that mean they can de-index sites that are running negative stories on something they are paid to promote?
It is possible. The tell-tale sign would be that the articles can't be found even if searched directly. Alternatively, Google might have made a manual correction to their rankings.

A lot of things are possible here, but it's best to have proof before throwing around those accusations or you risk de-legitimizing yourself and these accusations in the future. Sort of like Antifa calling everyone nazis, or feminists calling everything sexist, people tend to not take the boy who cried wolf seriously after a while.

As I said, the same result could be achieved "naturally" simply due to the amount of shills Bioware has writing praise for them, or by Bioware directly by bombing the negative articles with bad links.

Look you can believe what you want, but the results changed in less than a couple of hours, not just for me but for a couple of my friends, plus some other people on the chans when I mentioned it said they noticed it happen too. Now I would have taken a screenshot if I thought they were going to change it, but who would expect it to happen all at once? Anyway like I said believe what you want, I know what happened, it wasn't an accusation, it happened and that's good enough for me, I won't mention it again if you believe that google wouldn't practice such a thing.

Besides that fact people do work on behalf of companies for third parties and are encouraged to represent themselves as those companies, even breaking the law in the process, it happens constantly, there are constant cases brought to court regarding this, much of which is in the financial sector and I've seen it myself first hand, with third party companies breaking FSA regulations by dealing with bank accounts of customers, on the behest of the banks, but without the consent of their account holders, while falsely representing themselves as said banks.

I defer to you in your knowledge of search engines, computing ect. But if you truly don't believe that large companies don't or can't operate outside the law for financial gain and don't do it all the time, then that's up to you, you can call me a tin foil hatter or not believe I'm legitimate or whatever floats your boat. Anyway I won't argue with you over it, you want evidence, I didn't record it, but I know what I saw and I wasn't the only one, so we may as well leave it at that.

All I will say is be wary of this yourself in the future as it has happened before and will again.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
At least tell me this game is bombing saleswise? We won't kill EA any time soon, but the sooner Bioware gets a bullet to the head, the better.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
At least tell me this game is bombing saleswise? We won't kill EA any time soon, but the sooner Bioware gets a bullet to the head, the better.

I'm curious to know this myself, but have resisted Googling keywords for it because I know I'll find a bunch of shilling from the usual suspects. Let me try it now....

...Yep, it's wall-to-wall shilling and no real hard data.

It's a damn shame there was no Steam release.

Red Rogue

Learned
Didn't Dragon Age Inquisition sell fairly well?
I fear ME:A will do just fine based on hype and pre orders alone, and no matter how disappointed people may be with it, Bioware will take the sales as a green light to shove this SJW political agenda bullshit in my videogames.

'm curious to know this myself, but have resisted Googling keywords for it because I know I'll find a bunch of shilling from the usual suspects. Let me try it now....

...Yep, it's wall-to-wall shilling and no real hard data.

It's a damn shame there was no Steam release.

All that's currently being said doesn't sound too great, not for EA at least with their week one sales target of 3million. Though the game is number 1 on the UK charts, that's in hard copies and the games it is competing with have been out for at least a couple of weeks. It's only the third largest game release week of this year. And it has sold less than ME3, even with an extra day and ME3 sold 1.85million units overall in week one. And it also sold less than ME2. Though here we are talking about only the UK charts for physical copies which is a declining market, so it only gives a rough guide. Anyhow it doesn't appear the game is going to sell anywhere close to the 3 million prediction and will be lucky (in my opinion) to sell half that in week 1, even with all the 25% sales on it. Anyway it's all guesses and estimates and I don't think there is another big new release next week so it could still be number 1 without giving away any clues yet, though if it drops any places it'll look pretty bad.

2ND EDIT On those listings Wildlands is now pushed down to second place, which had the biggest opening week of the year, the week after it's sales went down by 73%, and this week was down 47%, so MEA coming out tops here is no great shakes at all, as even if you extrapolated these UK physical sales to overall worldwide sales and gave wildlands a huge opening week of 3million, then MEA would only need to sell a little over 400,000 copies to beat it.

EDIT Also why don't EA just fucking swallow their pride and offer the game on Steam and get rid of the need for Origin registration. It's bound to harm their sales. Even if I liked any of their recent games I wouldn't buy off Origin, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Athos

Arcane
Or they could go the Witcher 3 route and keep a character in the game no matter what - even if you personally cut his head off in the previous game:
fbfdea7debee68104b46469856e4e4c9.jpg

edit: or maybe you don't kill Roche? These games came out a long time ago and weren't worth too many replays.

You can never harm Roche or Iorveth directly in any way. You are thinking maybe of the first game, where you can/have to kill Siegfried or Yaevinn. The former has a cameo in Loc Muinne if you sided with the Order in the first game and helped him become grand master.

If you can't see that Steven King, however not exactly a Nobel laureate, is a vastly better writer than basically anyone in the gaming industry (same goes for the bulk of mainstream literature writers) than your judgment is not only skewed, it doesn't exist.
Then why are you "wasting" time with this "subpar" medium?

Total Biscuit is such a casual. Spends most of his time on things like UI and gashing over the combat/jumpjets etc. Actually says the writing is mostly decent. smh

GrainWetski

Arcane
Total Biscuit is such a casual. Spends most of his time on things like UI and gashing over the combat/jumpjets etc. Actually says the writing is mostly decent. smh
I watched a bit of his stream. He was in full fanboy mode with this game.

Freddie

Savant
I watched a bit of his stream. He was in full fanboy mode with this game.
He actually suggested putting helmets on party NPCs as a way to deal with the bad animations. :shittydog:
Surely a sign of fine product. Oh fuck this is game is a goldmine. :lol:

So I guess TB is withholding all comments on his video? Why? Is he that easily triggered that he needs a safe space in general, or does he know he's going o get some trashtalk for his shilling on this game in particular?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom