Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is banished any good?

Problem with Banished is that it's a part-time survival simulator so that occupies your early to mid game, but once you figure out the ideal formula to making your village survive through the winter it becomes monotonous because it's not really a full-fledged city builder like Impressions Games titles, Anno, etc which can hold your attention with careful city planning and that stuff. Maybe this won't be an issue for you at all, though.

uaciaut

Augur
Is Anno 2070 any good at all? Tempted to give it a shot.

Also tempted to give buy Endless Space even though it's not on 80% discount anymore (though 66% is still p substantial). Will the 80% discount return by the end of the sale? I've played around with it for a bit and it seems like the best attempt at cloning MoO2 i've seen so far, correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Annon 2070 any good at all? Tempted to give it a shot..
if you like anno series - yes. if you don't like anno series - no. if you never played anno series - give it a try, especially if you enjoy economy/building games.

uaciaut

Augur
if you like anno series - yes. if you don't like anno series - no. if you never played anno series - give it a try, especially if you enjoy economy/building games.

Which anno game should i start with then?

To clarify: I've never played any anno games, curious how similar it is to the old sierra city builders (pharaoh, zeus). Would be willing the series a shot, would Anno 1404 be the better game to start the series with?

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

To clarify: I've never played any anno games, curious how similar it is to the old sierra city builders (pharaoh, zeus). Would be willing the series a shot, would Anno 1404 be the better game to start the series with?
Anno games arent city builders. They are supply chain management games, with some building, exploring, trading and fighting. Good games, and I would start with Anno 1701 if you can find it. Play Anno 1602 if you like isometric games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

1701 was probably the worst anno because of annoying blurred and bloomed graphics. Everything looked like Oblivion.

Other than that all the games are pretty similar. I've never played 1503, but all the 1602, 1404 and 2070 are good to start with. It's up to you as except minor gameplay changes they just have different art-style. It's the series that hasn't devolved with the time, it stays true to the original. Get 1602 if you have weak hardware or prefer 2D graphic, get 1404 if you want beautiful 3D graphic and some different factions and get 2070 if you prefer science-fiction setting to... well, as the names of the games suggest.

I can't really say which is the best, I love all the 1602, 1404 and 2070, though myself I spent a damn lot of time in 1602, less in 1404 and unfortunately the demo of 2070 had disappointing performance on my laptop, so I had to give up the purchase and fall back to 1602/1404.

Just don't do 1701 (albeit it's pretty much the same good game, just the FUCKING BLOOM AND CONTRAST shit fucks it up)

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
1701 was probably the worst anno because of annoying blurred and bloomed graphics. Everything looked like Oblivion.

Other than that all the games are pretty similar. I've never played 1503, but all the 1602, 1404 and 2070 are good to start with. It's up to you as except minor gameplay changes they just have different art-style. It's the series that hasn't devolved with the time, it stays true to the original. Get 1602 if you have weak hardware or prefer 2D graphic, get 1404 if you want beautiful 3D graphic and some different factions and get 2070 if you prefer science-fiction setting to... well, as the names of the games suggest.

I can't really say which is the best, I love all the 1602, 1404 and 2070, though myself I spent a damn lot of time in 1602, less in 1404 and unfortunately the demo of 2070 had disappointing performance on my laptop, so I had to give up the purchase and fall back to 1602/1404.

Just don't do 1701 (albeit it's pretty much the same good game, just the FUCKING BLOOM AND CONTRAST shit fucks it up)
What are you on about? What bloom and contrast? I just played the game not 10 minutes ago, and it looks fine and sharp. Maybe ive disabled the bloom i dont remember, but please stop exaggerating.

Konjad

Patron
What are you on about? What bloom and contrast? I just played the game not 10 minutes ago, and it looks fine and sharp. Maybe ive disabled the bloom i dont remember, but please stop exaggerating.

Which of these games looks the worst and why?

77397-anno-1602-creation-of-a-new-world-windows-screenshot-build.jpg

39534_11248202640.jpg

screenshot0168.jpg

anno_1404_25.jpg

Anno2070Screenshot.jpg

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Damn - every year I say to myself no buying games during Steam sale until you start (not even finish) some of the games I already have.

I did buy M&M X Legacy, but also some others. What is wrong with me?

ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition ROW
Kings Bounty: Dark Side Premium Edition
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Legend of Grimrock 2
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Rush
Syberia Collection
Bit.Trip.Runner 2
Hail to the King: Deathbat
Enclave
Mark of the Ninja
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Paper Sorcerer
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Not including these bought on 19 December!
Avernum: Escape From the Pit
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Onto Legend of Grimrock 2!

Multi-headed Cow

My foreskin cheese has been limited to:

Drox Operative and expansion (Getting Drox itself for $5 with gem shit)
Space Run
Space Engineers
Halo Spartan Assault

Astral Rag

Arcane
uaciaut Anno 2070 is a good game but it is infected with uplay and tages and it has a 3 machine activation limit...

The previous Anno game also has shitty tages DRM and activation limit but at least it doesn't come with uplay.

I wouldn't recommend buying ubisoft products.

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

So far only bought SW; Empire At War Gold only to learn that in-built online has been disabled earlier this year. ::negative:

Bruticis

Slack-jawed, lightweight faggots, Gaben disapproves. Loot haul thus far:
Abyss Odyssey
Watch Dogs Season Pass
The Long Dark
Lords of Xulima - The Talisman of Golot
Lords of Xulima - Deluxe Edition DLC
MouseCraft
Fight The Dragon
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth ROW
Dominions 3: The Awakening
Dominions 4 Steam Store and Retail Key
Anomaly Korea
The Secret World
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Need For Speed Shift 2
Need for Speed: SHIFT
Need for Speed: Undercover
Legions of Ashworld
Anomaly Warzone Earth Mobile Campaign
Dungeon Defenders Eternity
Democracy 3
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Retail
Age of Wonders III - Golden Realms Expansion (Thanks to MHC!)
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Lords of the Fallen - Lion Heart Pack
Lords of the Fallen - The Arcane Boost
Booster Pack 1
Lords of the Fallen - Demonic Weapon Pack
Lords of the Fallen - Monk Decipher
Sakura Spirit
The Treasures of Montezuma 4
Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles Steam Store and Retail Key
Lords Of The Fallen Digital Deluxe Edition
Magicka: Tower of Niflheim
Experience 112
Portal 2 - Perceptual Pack
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Retail (Digital RoW)
Double Action
Get Off My Lawn
Tiestru
Eets Munchies
PAC-MAN MUSEUM
Stranded
Cloudbuilt
Signal Ops
Stealth Bastard Deluxe - The Teleporter Chambers
Gods Will Be Watching
Rocket Knight Comp
Qbeh-1
The Walking Dead Season 2
Tabletop Simulator
Endless Legend - Classic to Emperor Pack
3DMark Advanced
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight
Flower Shop: Winter In Fairbrook
Boson X
Freight Tycoon Inc.
Valiant Hearts: The Great War / Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre
A.I.M. Racing
Shadow Warrior: Special Edition Upgrade
Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000
Infested Planet
Manhunt
The Settlers Heritage of Kings
RollerCoaster Tycoon®: Deluxe
OTTTD
Blitzkrieg Anthology
Teslagrad
Winter Sale 2011: PopCap Pack
W40K: Kill Team
Gauntlet™
Panzer Corps
Age of Mythology EX
Watch Dogs Standard
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode 1 Tides of Fate Complete
Dead Mountaineer's Hotel
Ether One
Blackwell Epiphany
Daylight
Broken Sword 4 - the Angel of Death
Nancy Drew Collector Pack - Summer 2012
Fighting Fantasy: The Forest of Doom
Robotex
Season Match 2
Season Match 3 - Curse of the Witch Crow
The Treasures of Montezuma 3
Metal Gear Rising
Echelon
Echelon: Wind Warriors
Season Match
Dyad
Hegemony Gold
Steam
World Of Leaders
Styx
Journey of the King
Hearthlands
Final Dusk
Star Traders: 4X Empires
Haunted House
Uprising44
Time Mysteries: The Final Enigma
Northmark: Hour of the Wolf
Left in the Dark: No One on Board
Chess 2: The Sequel

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Most at shit discounts and solely for the purpose of adding entries to your library rather than playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom