Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not sure how multiplayer is relevant to my point. The games are carbon copies of one another. At least with something like the Civilization series there is some form of innovation/new mechanics between each iteration. All the KB games do is introduce a slightly different rage mechanic -- everything else is nearly identical. That said, there is obviously a segment of gamers who eat this shit up since they're on the fourth go 'round.

Ashery

Prophet
I'm not sure how multiplayer is relevant to my point.

It's relevant because there's no community for the new releases to fracture. With multiplayer games, frequent releases fragment and help kill off the community for both/all games, so the frequent releases harm even those who only pick up the original. With singleplayer games, however, that situation doesn't crop up.

That's not to say that frequent releases can't cause issues (Devs abandoning the original for a sequel before delivering on all promised features, for instance), but, at least as far as I'm aware, the KB games have been largely bug free and've delivered on all promised features.

The Civilization comparison isn't exactly fair, though, as they're in completely different genres; Civilization can easily go longer between each iteration as every game plays different, often radically so, but the same cannot be said for the KB games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My concern isn't with fracturing it's with lazy fucking developers pumping out the same shit.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Witcher games are cool. I like to call em RPG' with balls. Mature action romps and dont treat you like a retard. They were well worth their full price and its a hell of a bargain to get the game for 4 euros or whatever little price they ask.
Also as an added bonus, if the game comes with the cd-key, you can register that key on gog.com and have the game available overthere too. Good guys CDProjekt.

Witcher > Witcher 2. Neither are anything special.
lol

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OK, besides Metro's bad taste in games something else was released today.
Van Helsing II. 15 bucks/euros for a fine fine ARPG, there's slaughter, explosions, moar complex levels, even some minor C&C. You can even import your old save from the first game and continue with the same char.
It reeks of fun, theres cheezy humor and a load of bad jokes in it. I even preordered this fucker.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Problem with Witcher is combat kind of sucks in both, for different reasons. Definitely worth playing for storyfags though.

Turjan

Arcane
Who in his right mind would use "shallow" in the title of his own game :lol: It's begging to be mocked.
They have that fake 3D universe build that feels kind of shallow...

Well, it definitely leads to endless derping around. That said, I quite liked Nexus tJI, even if it was a bit uneven regarding the mission difficulty.

Well it's playable for me with a few workarounds.

But it feels more like an interactive movie than a computer game. But not complaining too much: didn't expect to play any AAA-ish games on Linux so you I take what I can get (and it's cheap to boot). I read somewhere it will also be released on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom