Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I have a rep? A bad one probably? On the net? Do I really care? No. Geez. I'm NOT that important.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:
Yeah, I guess because "true fans" all agree that BethSoft simply is not able to make any game that isn't like Morrowind.

Pete Hines hasn't exactly boosted my confidence, but I think the point is that we fans would like to see Fallout go to the original developers rather than any other gaming company.
I'd like to see cancer cured myself. It's a cruel scary world out there. You guys are all wailing and stamping feet as if you've never encountered dissapointment!
xJEDx said:
Worm said:
I mean guys imagine for a second the things a first person prespective could add, It would totally change sneaking, combat, and stealing in ways that make them more than a few dice rolls. Lower preception could make your characters vision in game fuzzy, cover to avoid damage, a character with high preception being able to see farther, oh and the screen large box of omnipotence(I don't believe I typed that btw) you have around you is gone!

Frankly I think it could be damn great.
If you don't want to roll dice, wait for Half Life 2 and get off of Fallout's teat. One of the great aspects of Fallout that will be destroyed in Bethesda's butchery will be the utter loss of that great PnP feeling FO had...
Yeah, and functioning in a world from the view of your character would totally ruin the PnP experience? When I think of immersion I always think of watching my character above as if he is a piece onf a game board!
Shevek said:
Yeah, I guess because "true fans" all agree that BethSoft simply is not able to make any game that isn't like Morrowind.

I think they can make pretty good Terminator games too. But..Fallout...no. The dev even said they wouldnt be making FO3 isometric since they have no experience with isometric games. I very much doubt they have any experience with alot of things that make Fallout what it is so why make Fallout?
A different company is doing things differently! I mean I understand association and that a rat will starve if it believes cheese will always shock it, but you people are not rats! Do not associate dialogue trees with freaking isometric views! That makes no sense, what is your argument, "That's how all the other games with dialogue tress I played were like!"?
Saint_Proverbius said:
Worm said:
I mean guys imagine for a second the things a first person prespective could add, It would totally change sneaking, combat, and stealing in ways that make them more than a few dice rolls.

Yeah, it would totally change everything about Fallout, and not for the better. One of the key elements of Fallout was that it was a tabletop PnP style experience. Originally designed around Steve Jackson's GURPS, right down to the hexagonal system of movement and combat.

The whole point of a CRPG like Fallout is that dice rolls determine events - just like table top PnP. What you're talking about is virtual LARPS, which is lame.
Actually I'm talking about DnD where character posistion and obstructed views mattered. With a first person interface the game could be more than a guy sneaking in broad day light with everyone looking at him and doing well because his skill is high, or a guy winning combat just because he has the best preception and all the enemies bottle neck at the door. I'm not suggesting a FPS I don't know WHY you think I'm suggesting that. I said "more than dice rolls" not "in place of dice rolls".

Saint_Proverbius said:
Lower preception could make your characters vision in game fuzzy, cover to avoid damage, a character with high preception being able to see farther,

Don't forget great things like DEXTERITY BASED JUMP PUZZLES! Woohoo!
Oh yeah and don't forgot all the other things your going to say to stay negative! OMG IT WILL SUCK! If you can't get past that level of thought, just quit.
Maybe a character with more agility could run faster, or have more ease climbing a fence? Yes, or maybe he could have more easy jumping from giant moving platform to giant moving platform because this game is going to suck. :(
Saint_Proverbius said:
UToh and the screen large box of omnipotence you have around you is gone!

Yeah, instead, you'll be placed in a situation where your head is in a box only allowing a 90 FOV and is also fixed because of that neck brace you're wearing.
OH YES I FORGOT YOU CAN READ THE FUTURE! If we are going to use all their old games as scientific examples of their future actions then I must mention that in all TES games you could turn around.

HanoverF said:
Sweet Zombie Jeebus, I go afk for a day and come back to find Bethseda has dug up Fallout and is preparing to skullfuck it.

Call me a cynical bastard, but you dont pay for a license and then learn a new development skill set to suit said license, you buy a license to release a "slam dunk" with what you allready know how to do.

The quality of Bethsedas product are arguable (I'm not arguing sales, hell Deer Hunter sold millions) and even fans recognize slipping Fallout into TES packaging would suck the sweat off Michael Moores balls.
CYNICAL BASTARD! In fact you all are cynical, miserable, bitchy human beings. Though I guess that's what 'DA CODECKS' is all about!

Whipporowill

Erudite
Whooaaa.

Here I go away for a week of some fun in the sun and FO is sold to freakin' Beteshda? Not in my wildest dreams/nightmares did I anticipate such a scenario.

IF Bethesda does a good Fallout we'll be happy (with some grumblings, as these are fallout fans - impossible to please).

IF Bethesda fits it to the TES formula we'll be angry and decide that the FO franchise is dead and better buried. Probably less risk of sequels as well.

So, it's like a win-win situation here kids!

Yeah. Well, who am I kidding? :shock: Stop humping the stiff damnit!

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:
I'd like to see cancer cured myself. It's a cruel scary world out there. You guys are all wailing and stamping feet as if you've never encountered dissapointment!

I'm sorry, do you have a point or have you resorted to the 'you guys are just complaining' arguement? We've been dissapointed before. We have been dissapointed by FOT and by FO:POS. Forgive us if we didn't rush up and suck BethSoft's teets, but we've seen twice what happens when someone tries to make Fallout into something it's not.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

I'm sorry, do you have a point or have you resorted to the 'you guys are just complaining' arguement? We've been dissapointed before. We have been dissapointed by FOT and by FO:POS. Forgive us if we didn't rush up and suck BethSoft's teets, but we've seen twice what happens when someone tries to make Fallout into something it's not.
You really expected a new Fallout from something that wasn't named "Fallout <DIGIT>"? Well, I'm sorry you guys originally were unrealistically and unreasonably opitimisic and got betrayed.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Worm said:
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

You really expected a new Fallout from something that wasn't named "Fallout <DIGIT>"? Well, I'm sorry you guys originally were unrealistically and unreasonably opitimisic and got betrayed.

It's not the issue of wheter Tactics and BoS not being Fallout 3 or 4; that was not the issue. The issue is them not being Fallout in terms of everything that made Fallout what it is.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:

Hey Worm. Pssst. Try not to make assume too much, okay? It really kills your arguement like white tissue paper.

If you were around when FO:POS was announced, you'd know that the FO fans rushed the message board to say this was a bad idea. It got so terrible the board had to be shut down. We weren't optimistic, so next time why don't you ASK first before hoping I don't know my history.

And do you think if they called FO:POS, FO3, that it would be any beter of a game? Hell no! If BethSoft is going to make Morrowind with guns and slap FO3 at the title, what the Hell does it matter if it is a Fallout:<Digit>? The point is we fans have seen devs take the Fallout name and turn it into something it's not.

Worm

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Worm said:
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

It's not the issue of wheter Tactics and BoS not being Fallout 3 or 4; that was not the issue. The issue is them not being Fallout in terms of everything that made Fallout what it is.
Yeah, they were two games based on the Fallout universe. I mean christ. If they make a FPS called Fallout The FPS you're telling me you'd bitch about the lack of dialogue trees in a FPS?
There weren't supposed to be dialogue trees because Fallout Tactics and Fallout: BOS were not god damn RPGs the comparison is totally invalid.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

Hey Worm. Pssst. Try not to make assume too much, okay? It really kills your arguement like white tissue paper.
Well you're acting like both of those games were such dissapointments, a dissapointment is a violation of your expectations.
Greenskin13 said:
If you were around when FO:POS was announced, you'd know that the FO fans rushed the message board to say this was a bad idea. It got so terrible the board had to be shut down. We weren't optimistic, so next time why don't you ASK first before hoping I don't know my history.
I wasn't opitimistic either because it was just a game being based in the Fallout universe. It's like expecting a new Star Wars movie when you buy Star Wars trivial pursuit. Don't be surprised by a business marketing a product though!

Greenskin13 said:
And do you think if they called FO:POS, FO3, that it would be any beter of a game? Hell no! If BethSoft is going to make Morrowind with guns and slap FO3 at the title, what the Hell does it matter if it is a Fallout:<Digit>? The point is we fans have seen devs take the Fallout name and turn it into something it's not.
Wait a second. You're telling me if someone makes anything but an isometric RPG it doesn't deserve to be based in the Fallout universe? You are telling me that the world in which the games "Fallout 1 and 2" occur can handle nothing more than an isometric RPG not a fighting game, not a puzzle game, nothing at all, because Fallout is a post apocolyptic world where isometric RPGs are based?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Worm said:
Yeah, they were two games based on the Fallout universe. I mean christ. If they make a FPS called Fallout The FPS you're telling me you'd bitch about the lack of dialogue trees in a FPS?
There weren't supposed to be dialogue trees because Fallout Tactics and Fallout: BOS were not god damn RPGs the comparison is totally invalid.

Thanks for posting that bit of useless rethoric, we never get enough 'round here.

No, i see the issue still eludes you, although i can't say i'm surprised. It goes beyond dialogue trees. People already knew Tactics and BoS were not meant to be RPGs, that's not the point. The point was not that they didn't had the same gameplay of the originals completely copied and pasted; the point is not about how they were not, again, Fallout sequels. The point, however, is that they were simply not Fallout games at all. They deviated too much from the setting, the mechanics, the gameplay, the everything, that made Fallout what it was.

They hardly qualified as being 'based on' in some aspects, BoS being the worst offender.

suibhne

Erudite
Worm said:

Congratulations, Mighty Peking Man! You've just volunteered to manually search through this entire forum for any quotation in which anyone slams FO:T and/or FO:BoS for lacking dialogue trees.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Volourn said:
I have a rep? A bad one probably? On the net? Do I really care? No. Geez. I'm NOT that important.

the worst we can say 'bout vol is that he appears to be dyslexic… oh, and we assume he were heavily medicated while playing arcanum.

HA! Good Fun!

Jed

Cipher
Worm said:
It's like expecting a new Star Wars movie when you buy Star Wars trivial pursuit.
A more apt analogy would be having someone trying to sell you Phantom Menace on the merits of Empire Strikes Back.

Incidentally, and maybe you've noticed, but what the fuck is up with your coming to our site to complain about us complaining? Doesn't that at the very least make you some kind of hippocrite, but more likely a whiny moron?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
xJEDx said:
Worm said:
It's like expecting a new Star Wars movie when you buy Star Wars trivial pursuit.
A more apt analogy would be having someone trying to sell you Phantom Menace on the merits of Empire Strikes Back.

Or better yet, trying to pass off lame KoTOR fanfiction as representative of what Star Wars truly is or can be.

Incidentally, and maybe you've noticed, but what the fuck is up with your coming to our site to complain about us complaining? Doesn't that at the very least make you some kind of hippocrite, but more likely a whiny moron?

Damnit, that was meant to be a surprise!

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:
Well you're acting like both of those games were such dissapointments, a dissapointment is a violation of your expectations.

Back to the ol' assumptions, eh Worm? You're assuming I was dissapointed when the game came out. On the contrary. People were already dissapointed when it was announced.

Worm said:
I wasn't opitimistic either because it was just a game being based in the Fallout universe. It's like expecting a new Star Wars movie when you buy Star Wars trivial pursuit. Don't be surprised by a business marketing a product though!

Worm. You're not listening. We never had high expectations for FO:POS, but the point is that we were tired of seeing Fallout get slammed into things that it was not. And instead, they decide to can FO3(Van Buren)!

Worm said:
Wait a second. You're telling me if someone makes anything but an isometric RPG it doesn't deserve to be based in the Fallout universe? You are telling me that the world in which the games "Fallout 1 and 2" occur can handle nothing more than an isometric RPG not a fighting game, not a puzzle game, nothing at all, because Fallout is a post apocolyptic world where isometric RPGs are based?

Worm, do you remember yesterday at all? Remember all the things we've said about how the camera angles have a direct effect on gameplay and combat? Remeber how I said Pete Hines' attitude does not bode well for the other features that were true to the original Fallout? Can we make a link over 24 hours? Eh, Wormsy?

Jed

Cipher
Worm said:
Wow, if you ever had a real argument, it's obviously flying apart at the seams with this desperate keyboard diarrhea. Take a break, Worm. Go back to your cuddly Morrowind fan forums and talk about the new cool nude mods for the dancing ladies. Leave the critical thinking to those of us in the "Fallout Taliban."

triCritical

Erudite
Gromnir said:
the worst we can say 'bout vol is that he appears to be dyslexic… oh, and we assume he were heavily medicated while playing arcanum.

HA! Good Fun!

Well then you must have dyslexia at the top of your list of bad things to say about people.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Don't cry, Tri... even though it suits the pattern for someone who truly believes tb combat = role-playing.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
Don't cry, Tri... even though it suits the pattern for someone who truly believes tb combat = role-playing.

Goddamnit, Volourn, for a moment there I thought your post was by Worm.

Things are getting confusing around here.

Avin

Liturgist
tb is certainly not roleplaying but is very important for fallout. why companies always try to change products that already have a fanbase?

i guess american industry will never understand that change a product that already has followers/fanboys/lovers/bioweenies is stupid and makes even the fanboys drop the boat. joel schumacher tried to change batman ("he just wants to have fun with his toys") and killed the franchise. sam raimi was faithfull (as far as he could) to spiderman and his own process os filmaking (specially in spiderman 2) and you cand look the movie on the top.

whatever. i really would not care if a fps fallout was released IF IF IF i could get my hands on an isometric fo.

what will be made of van buren?

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

Back to the ol' assumptions, eh Worm? You're assuming I was dissapointed when the game came out. On the contrary. People were already dissapointed when it was announced.
Then why even cite it? It was just a use of the Fallout universe to market a game where as this is the actual sequel of the game that spawned the Fallout universe.

Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

Worm. You're not listening. We never had high expectations for FO:POS, but the point is that we were tired of seeing Fallout get slammed into things that it was not. And instead, they decide to can FO3(Van Buren)!
"that we were tired of seeing Fallout get slammed into things that it was not."
See, you're saying that the Fallout universe can hand nothing but RPGs. I think that's totally nuts. You can make any type of game with the Fallout universe simply because you aren't fans of the genre or simply because the game sucks tells you absolutely nothing

Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

Worm, do you remember yesterday at all? Remember all the things we've said about how the camera angles have a direct effect on gameplay and combat? Remeber how I said Pete Hines' attitude does not bode well for the other features that were true to the original Fallout? Can we make a link over 24 hours? Eh, Wormsy?
Do you remember where I call you all batshit insane for putting so much into a camera angle? I don't care what you think about the damn camera angle, because you're not right about it. You could do anything from any prespective. It just happens that RPGs are mostly top down or isometric, that's not written in stone anywhere.

suibhne said:
Worm said:
Congratulations, Mighty Peking Man! You've just volunteered to manually search through this entire forum for any quotation in which anyone slams FO:T and/or FO:BoS for lacking dialogue trees.
No, I'm just saying that expecting what you got in Fallout the RPG to be in Fallout the Tactical RPG and Fallout the console game is criminally insane.

xJEDx said:
Oh the good old bitching about bitching thing? I'm saying that your assumptions of a Elder Scrolls game being produced using the Fallout name are fundamentally flawed as in BethSoft has never had the chance to butcher anything and has always made TES games. Just assuming because they don't want to work with the tired and true isometric they aren't going to include the very foundation of Fallout is a rumba line of supposition 8 miles(12.87 kilometers) long.

xJEDx said:
Worm said:
Wow, if you ever had a real argument, it's obviously flying apart at the seams with this desperate keyboard diarrhea. Take a break, Worm. Go back to your cuddly Morrowind fan forums and talk about the new cool nude mods for the dancing ladies. Leave the critical thinking to those of us in the "Fallout Taliban."
Nice "UR DUMB" line. Oh, and good job revealing the horrible bile filled bias that you probably all the people here share against Morrowind. I mean you always can fall back on the fact that BethSoft is the devil.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:
Then why even cite it? It was just a use of the Fallout universe to market a game where as this is the actual sequel of the game that spawned the Fallout universe.

Because if BethSoft turn this FO 'sequel' into Morrowind with guns, it won't be an actual sequel, it'll be a Morrowind mod for BethSoft fanboys like you to masturbate to. An actual sequel to Fallout should play like Fallout.

A Max Payne sequel has to do more than have Max in it; it should have bullet time.

See, you're saying that the Fallout universe can hand nothing but RPGs. I think that's totally nuts. You can make any type of game with the Fallout universe simply because you aren't fans of the genre or simply because the game sucks tells you absolutely nothing

I'm saying that if you want to make a sequel to Fallout, you should try to include the elements that made Fallout. If BethSoft wants to make another realtime, first person game, tagging Fallout's name to it will only piss of its core fans. Why the Hell do you feel the need to spit on the fans of the game by pissing all over the original game's features?

Worm said:
Do you remember where I call you all batshit insane for putting so much into a camera angle? I don't care what you think about the damn camera angle, because you're not right about it. You could do anything from any prespective. It just happens that RPGs are mostly top down or isometric, that's not written in stone anywhere.

You must suffer from brain damage if you can't remember a God damn thing I said yesterday. Pete Hines said that BethSoft is sticking to what they do well. They flat out say they're not good at isometric, and that they're sticking to what they do best. And this is what I said: what else about Fallout's elements are they going to sacrifice because it's not what they do well? Are they going to dump TB because making a TB FP is too dificult for them?

suibhne

Erudite
Worm said:

You know, I think I'm going to kinda agree with you, but I also think that man you're trying to set on fire is actually made of straw.

I don't think too many of us expressed that RPGs can't ever be first-person; Bloodlines is looking fairly promising, for example, and it's time for me to come clean and admit that I genuinely enjoyed Morrowind (despite its many flaws, blah blah blah). I won't be burned if TES4 is first-person; hell, I figure that might be the most natural design choice, based on the kind of gameplay which the setting has previously offered. But for a FO RPG to be first-person would require radical alterations to both the setting and the gameplay, which I see as both unwarranted and actively destructive to the overall setting.

And quit with your "all camera anglez R equal" shtick, because it's getting downright self-parodical. "You could do anything from any perspective" - well, it seems like you're the one who's cornered the market on "batshit insane." You might not care about having tactical combat in a FO game, but the fact remains that you simply can't code tactical, turn-based combat with APs, multiple targets and weapons, and a battlefield with obstructions and range limitations unless you at least have some sort of roving camera.

I'm not entirely obsessed with an isometric view, having cut my teeth for years on the free camera in Bungie's two Myth games, but dammit, you need to be able to at least see the fucking battlefield before you can, you know, fight on it.

But go ahead, prove me wrong: either point to successful first-person examples of such combat, or outline how you see such a system working from a first-person perspective. That's a challenge you've so far ignored.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

Because if BethSoft turn this FO 'sequel' into Morrowind with guns, it won't be an actual sequel, it'll be a Morrowind mod for BethSoft fanboys like you to masturbate to. An actual sequel to Fallout should play like Fallout.

A Max Payne sequel has to do more than have Max in it; it should have bullet time.
Again, my awful optimism is that the foundations of Fallout will remain. Yeah, and the other two games played nothing like Fallout, that was the point right? I didn't play BOS but I thought Fallout Tactics was kind of fun.

Greenskin13 said:

I'm saying that if you want to make a sequel to Fallout, you should try to include the elements that made Fallout. If BethSoft wants to make another realtime, first person game, tagging Fallout's name to it will only piss of its core fans. Why the Hell do you feel the need to spit on the fans of the game by pissing all over the original game's features?
I agree. I just don't think they are going to forget the fundmental concepts of Fallout.
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:
You must suffer from brain damage if you can't remember a God damn thing I said yesterday. Pete Hines said that BethSoft is sticking to what they do well. They flat out say they're not good at isometric, and that they're sticking to what they do best. And this is what I said: what else about Fallout's elements are they going to sacrifice because it's not what they do well? Are they going to dump TB because making a TB FP is too dificult for them?
Interview said:
GameSpy: Finally, will Fallout 3 be from a first- or third-person perspective like the Morrowind series, or isometric, like its predecessors?

Pete Hines: Too early to say, but I imagine it'll probably lean towards using technology that we're developing.
So, they aren't good at isometic, I don't see what this has to do with turn based play which is a pretty simply concept.
"what else about Fallout's elements are they going to sacrifice because it's not what they do well?"
NONE! I say that's because I'm optimistic. You think they are going to drop all of Fallouts identfying traits. I don't think the camera angle is a big point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom