Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"best" Ultima? (for a first-timer)

Which of the Ultimas is the "best" Ultima? (if you only had time for *one*)

• Ultima VIII: Pagan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rpgsaurus Rex

It struck me that I've never played any Ultima games in my life. Unfortunately, I don't have much time these days for actually sitting down and playing stuff, so the strategy of "play everything, from 1 to 9" doesn't really apply. I haven't played Ultima Underworld games or Lazarus either, so I'll include them in the poll.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ultima Underworld. Not only one of the most groundbreaking games ever made, but also one of the finest games ever made. No game did exploration and immershun better.

Being a combatfag I think Ultima V was the peak of the pure bred Ultima games. It had decent tactical combat and good encounter design in addition to the Ultima games' usual strong suits of exploration and NPC interaction.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Being a combatfag I think Ultima V was the peak of the pure bred Ultima games. It had decent tactical combat and good encounter design in addition to the Ultima games' usual strong suits of exploration and NPC interaction.
Yeah, but it is impossible to fully enjoy U5 without playing U4 first. Also, combatfags should avoid this series like the plague.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Decent newfag experience: Read a U4 LP, then play Lazarus, U6Project and U7.

Ascension. Because if you are on the codex and haven't played any Ultima games you deserve EA's cock down your throat.

Seriously though, what Unorus said. Ultima V was the best but it relies a lot on Ultima IV, so play that first. 4 is still good.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I bought U9 a long time ago in a video store on my allowance money, the box looked cool like a proper aRPeGee what with the knight surrounded by shining stuff. The manual had lots of cool stuff too. The game never started though, after installing it - critical error, so I brought it back to the store to change for Sanitarium (box there looked cool too, and the game turned out to be good).

Turns out it was for the better.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
GOOD LUCK WITH ULTIMA 4 NEWFAG

:hero:

My personal recommendation is stygian abyss being, one of the most profoundly revolutionary games ever that is often shafted out of that status for DOOM of all things. Heck there was a recent thread saying that it 'inspired' Arena.
Pity arena is actually a completely different kind of game, and far worse anyway, even at being a 'sandbox', random quests nonwithstanding.

No, really, it's a fucking great game, absolute classic.

Then you might as well go full story-fag and play ultima 7 pt 2.

Absalom

GOOD LUCK WITH ULTIMA 4 NEWFAG

:hero:

My personal recommendation is stygian abyss being, one of the most profoundly revolutionary games ever that is often shafted out of that status for DOOM of all things. Heck there was a recent thread saying that it 'inspired' Arena.
Pity arena is actually a completely different kind of game, and far worse anyway, even at being a 'sandbox', random quests nonwithstanding.

No, really, it's a fucking great game, absolute classic.

Then you might as well go full story-fag and play ultima 7 pt 2.
I would agree with you; but too many people think "bigger number, better ultima" Though I would agree UU being a great gateway into the series.

mondblut

Arcane
I think U6 is the farthest Ultima went before it goes off the screw with "enough with this D&D crap, let's rather larp to our heart's extent". It's like U5, but doesn't look like ass.

Also UUW, if you don't mind an FPS-marketed-as-RPG from the times before FPS were invented.

made

Arcane
U6

but you might as well wait for Nuvie to be completed and play another one in the meantime

MMXI

Arcane
Am I the only person who read the poll question?

Which of the Ultimas is the "best" Ultima? (if you only had time for *one*)?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Thanks for the recommendation/opinions guys, keep them coming!

I'm thinking of going for UW first.

U4 looks really hardcore. :eek: Possibly the oldest game I would ever play (I was born in '88). How do I even emulate it?

Am I the only person who read the poll question?

Which of the Ultimas is the "best" Ultima? (if you only had time for *one*)?

Yup... I'm just trying to figure out which one is the "must". I'll probably only have time to play 1-2 next year.

MMXI

Arcane
Yup... I'm just trying to figure out which one is the "must". I'll probably only have time to play 1-2 next year.
Well that's different. If you're only going to play one in your lifetime then make it Ultima V as it's the best one. If you're going to have time to play multiple games then start on IV.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Well, U4 is a completely unique game (and my favourite), while U5 is the most balanced and challenging one. They're both freaking awesome. Go for Ultima VII if you're more like a storyfag.
OTOH, Underworld is an awesome game, but an Ultima in name only.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, don't play Underworld if you want a representative Ultima experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom