Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Tehdagah

Arcane
https://physics.le.ac.uk/journals/index.php/pst/article/view/706/509

This paper considers the composition of small scale planets as seen in the video game Super Mario
Galaxy.
With an approximate radius for these planets set at 50m, the required density to maintain
Earth-like surface gravity is calculated and compared to known super-dense structures such as
white-dwarfs. The stability of such a planet is then discussed and it is concluded that it would
likely explode due to the severe imbalance of gravitational pressure to degeneracy and coulomb
pressures.

:whatho:

q19ouso.jpg

:negative:

To be honest I find it hard to get angry at this. It's obviously some kid, talking out of his ass like kids do, about things will before his time. And it turns out he actually liked the game and seems to have developed an interest in playing the pre decline games in his preferred genre. Why would codexers find it hard to sympathise with tha... oh I see... nevermind.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I wouldn't call Quake pre-decline. It was gameplay wise simplified Doom aside from free look and it's counter-part Duke Nukem 3D, despite being 2.5D game was in many ways far, far more advanced and gave the genre actual progression.

Cadmus

Arcane
How the fuck was Quake a simplified Doom? What is there to simplify in Doom? The level design maybe, uh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Classic post from the archives:

Yeah, I am gonna say Quake as well.

Quake, as a single-player game anyways, is piss-poor. To me, Quake is a techdemo that just happens to have an awesome multiplayer mode included. By comparison, Duke3D was the better game, even though it used an inferior engine. So I kept an eye on the Quake engine, to see what other developers would do with it. Some brilliant multiplayer mods were released, but as far as single-player content goes, only the unofficial (and taboo) Alien Quake mod was any good. The Nostromo level in that mod was awesome, it was the defining Alien-related gaming experience until AvP was released in 1999. Quake 2 was a more refined version of the Quake engine, and a half-decent singleplayer game was included, but it was what others did with the Quake 2 engine that caught people's eyes. Half-Life and Anachronox, just to name a couple of examples.

In Quake, you can see clear signs of decline, but for all the right reasons. Doom, despite all of its achievements and fun gameplay, was a 2D game seen from a first-person perspective. Quake was full 3D, so it was natural that some limitations were in place while the software was being developed and improved. But sadly, the elements that made the 2D (and pseudo-3D) games so much fun never did reappear in a true 3D engine. Doom could have dozens of enemies on-screen at once, just to name an example. Quake would break down and cry if you tried to have just one dozen enemies on-screen at once. It took Serious Sam in 2001 to bring back the mobs of enemies, but by then the "less is more" approach was a de facto standard.

Another example is the development process of Quake. Quake started out with a Norse warrior as the protagonist, wielding a big hammer during the Dark Ages and doing stuff that Thor is doing in the Hollywood movies. No guns. No futuristic crap. But somewhere along the way the focus changed, the plans were dropped. In favour of making Quake a Doom clone. I wonder why they did that...

And when "graphic accelerators" (also known as 3D graphic cards) were taking their first steps, the gaming industry was strangly harmonic to the development (and marketing) of those cards: Graphics became the focal point of games. This was apparent as early as 1997, possibly earlier. Up to that point, and that explains FMV games to a degree, the objective was simply to try to make games be on a level with the images and sounds you saw on TV, "multimedia-capable" was the buzzword IIRC. Sadly, far too many developers thought that the content should also match that of the television, which explains why it takes effort to name even 3 FMV games worth a damn.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
How the fuck was Quake a simplified Doom? What is there to simplify in Doom? The level design maybe, uh.

Pressable buttons and interactible items in the world (aka key-cards) were removed in favour of more streamlined and faster paced gameplay. Both things which for example Duke 3D took into a whole new level along with the interactivity of the world and excellent map design. In comparison, knowing what evolved Doom could've been like Quake does seem inferior product despite it's status

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah and you connected them to your graphic card via i think short VGA cable.

I still remember my Voodoo2 as accelerator and s3 as 2D graphic card. Diablo 2 looked so goood in glide where in direct x it didn't have any color effects.

DraQ

Arcane
No use key.
:troll:

interactible items in the world (aka key-cards) were removed
False.

Both things which for example Duke 3D took into a whole new level along with the interactivity of the world and excellent map design. In comparison, knowing what evolved Doom could've been like Quake does seem inferior product despite it's status
System Shock pisses on them both from its towering fortress citadel of undeniable superiority :obviously: .
Ok, I do enjoy quite a few doom engine games, including original Dooms, Build games and the first Quake, but, especially given tech available at the time everything ID pumped out looks embarrassingly amateur compared to SS.

Anyway, regarding those more actiony FPSes - two things:
behead all those who think quake 1 single player was worse than that of quake 2.
1. Anyone considering Q2 better than pretty much any FPS worth noting in terms of SP is pretty much admitting to being developmentally impaired and Q1 was, at the very least, atmospheric and sometimes tense which made it completely unlike Q2.
As bad as SP was, at least it wasn't Unreal. Disregard me, in addition to being wrong I suck dongs.
2. Fixed.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Tell us more about Russian VNs, Grimwulf

On second thought. You know what, you brought it on yourself! That will teach you to ask me about russian shit.

This is Валет Плетей. Not translated, hopefully never will. Video novel / Life Sim / RPG / sandbox with no endgoal. All-time favourite on russian anonymous boards.

Fuck. Can't find a single safe for work screen. Well, here's one, more or less:

77615d588a7276b56e08e7c394128ce2.png

In this game you play as slave master. You can buy, train, sell, rape, kill, torture, develop and do all kind of crazy shit with slaves. Be it 80-year old granny or 12-year old boys.

8c5f85ff6648a46de14e7fd2dbfc223c.png

Never played it, believe it or not. The title of the game, however, is on the first page of russian 4chan at almost any time. Reading people stories about playing this game tells a lot about dat fkn country.

Don't even ask me to translate what are the "stats" of that slave-boy on screenshot.

Chamezero

So Steam let in a VN where you rape, kill, etc. but asked them to remove the adult content? LOLWUT

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Sounds like LP material ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Translating random comment from Валет Плетей:

Random User: Hey, wtf! My slave girl has fallen in coma! I've only hit her with a whip a couple of times. I've tried to do reanimation surgery three times on her, I even gave her FOOD! She is even barely fuckable right now. Just laying there motionless, like a tree stump.
Game Developer: Just get rid of her.

You won't believe the amount of possible BUILDS in this game. If there is any other russian speaking guy on Codex, I would probably read a LP too. Can't do it myself tho.

Edit: But the "best" part of these series (yeah, the game has sequels and prequels) is watching fucking kids play it on youtube. How they talk about prices on "pedophile markets" and complain that selling slave-kids on meat is much more prophitable than selling them as sex slaves. I shit you not.

No, it's not a girl. This is a russian kid.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Puke Face

Unwanted
This is Валет Плетей. Not translated, hopefully never will.
You're wrong, it's fully translated.
xSzEhjA.png
It is affectionately called "Slav Maker" here in the west due to its similarities with another slave management game. I only know about it since guys on a forum I frequent kept telling stories about it and they always ended with the slave getting chestbursted.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom